5.9

1. Jan 28, 2012
    I thank I read the bad reviews before seeing the movie, because with such low expectations, it's quite a good movie, and it goes creatively into an un-shown disaster of 9/11 (and others alike): the one that goes (extremely and incredibly) inside of a person that has to deal with life as it is (with loss). Sure it has some cliches and stuff, but it's human and it has a heart.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    Unfortunately, the movie didn't even come close to the beauty of the book. Really how could it though? Too many famous actors in this one to make it work. Check out the Everything is Illuminated movie and book also by Foer too.
  3. Feb 14, 2012
    Oh my goodness! what was that? What happened to the Academy? i wish they announce that that it was a mistake and take the nomination back i mean this is a shame nominating a movie with bad reviews over much well received movies? No seriously this movie was so fake and ridiculously pretentious. Performances were not so amazing except the wonderful Max Von Sydow, i appreciate Thomas HornOh my goodness! what was that? What happened to the Academy? i wish they announce that that it was a mistake and take the nomination back i mean this is a shame nominating a movie with bad reviews over much well received movies? No seriously this movie was so fake and ridiculously pretentious. Performances were not so amazing except the wonderful Max Von Sydow, i appreciate Thomas Horn carrying the entire movie on his own small shoulders. The basic core foundation of this movie itself was just wrong. One of the worst nominated movie in the history or probably the worst since 60 or 70 years. Expand
  4. Dec 25, 2011
    This review will be a landmark for me: I will be judging acting, overall movie, and storyline with out of 10 ratings, plus extra notes. Overall movie: 5/10 Acting: 6/10 Storyline: 4/10. The storyline can get a little crazy, but the actors save the film from completely tearing itself apart. I really didn't feel the emotion. In my opinion, 9/11 is one of the saddest time in history, and itThis review will be a landmark for me: I will be judging acting, overall movie, and storyline with out of 10 ratings, plus extra notes. Overall movie: 5/10 Acting: 6/10 Storyline: 4/10. The storyline can get a little crazy, but the actors save the film from completely tearing itself apart. I really didn't feel the emotion. In my opinion, 9/11 is one of the saddest time in history, and it should not be treated so lightly and fake. Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    Drama. Oskar (Thomas Horn) is convinced that his father (Tom Hanks), who died in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, has left a final message for him hidden somewhere in the city. Feeling disconnected from his grieving mother (Sandra Bullock) and driven by a relentlessly active mind that refuses to believe in things that can't be observed, Oskar begins searching New York City forDrama. Oskar (Thomas Horn) is convinced that his father (Tom Hanks), who died in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, has left a final message for him hidden somewhere in the city. Feeling disconnected from his grieving mother (Sandra Bullock) and driven by a relentlessly active mind that refuses to believe in things that can't be observed, Oskar begins searching New York City for the lock that fits a mysterious key he found in his father's closet. His journey through the five boroughs takes him beyond his own loss to a greater understanding of the observable world around him. Expand
  6. Feb 19, 2012
    Extremely overrated and incredibly disappointing movie... Stephen Daldry's getting worse... This film didn't deserve Best Picture Nomination...
    Instead, great movies like 'Drive' or 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' or 'We Need to Talk about Kevin' deserved its position...
  7. Jan 27, 2012
    After his father (Tom Hanks) perishes in the World Trade Center, an obsessive boy searches for the lock that fits a key from his father. This journey takes him throughout New York's boroughs and helps him grow in the process (no surprise there). The story has a few good surprises, but the unhurried pacing and the boy's neurotic behavior make the experience wearisome and frustrating.
  8. Jan 26, 2012
    The film was cool, but in some cases, it got annoying. The monologues felt like soft versions of what Spike Lee would include in his films, and the narrations kinda felt unneeded. The kid also seemed a little annoying at times too. I loved Max von Sydow and Sandra Bullock, though; was hoping to see more of them and Tom Hanks.
  9. Dec 26, 2011
    Far from the worst movie of the year, but not very good. Cheesy and exploitive of 9/11. Some great New York shots and scenes and great acting all around, but a disappointingly dry drama.
  10. May 22, 2012
    Extremely and over-the-top sentimental and incredibly trite. Max von Sydow is very good indeed and overshadows the rest of the admittedly impressive cast.
  11. May 22, 2012
    There is a moment late in the film that was ludicrous involving Sandra Bullock's character that was unbelievable and ruined the movie for me, plus there was supposed to be an emotional payoff between the boy and the key's owner that didn't work at all. The story just seemed pointless. I thought the acting was good all around, but the story didn't rise to their level. Disappointing.
  12. Apr 17, 2012
    At the end of the movie, I was neutral, the script and the sense of histotia was flat, good soundtrack, the rest regular, other movies seemed much better to opt in for an Oscar nomination, some faults acting primarily for the guy, I think that responsibility falls on Daldry! which gives us a movie without Sasson.
  13. May 7, 2012
    This is a very tragic film, but it is a smart one at that. The main character in the film, Oscar, is very smart. This film is courageous enough to have a plot on 9/11 and actually display emotions truthfully.
  14. Jan 23, 2012
    Hard to recommend but still possible, it's just kinda one of those movies that you see on TV and your like wow this should be interesting and entertaining aswell as delivering a positive message. But than you watch the movie and findout it's really annoying and hard to watch without wanting to punch the movie and break it's nose and realize that this movie isn't as good as it looked an youHard to recommend but still possible, it's just kinda one of those movies that you see on TV and your like wow this should be interesting and entertaining aswell as delivering a positive message. But than you watch the movie and findout it's really annoying and hard to watch without wanting to punch the movie and break it's nose and realize that this movie isn't as good as it looked an you found out it actually sucks. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2012
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is about a year after a boy's father dies and he searches in his father's closet and finds a key. As the movie continues he tries to find a lock the key opens as he tries to overcome the sorrow of his father's death. The film does have moments of pure emotion and you can feel the pain the characters are feeling thanks to its fantastic actors, but sadlyExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close is about a year after a boy's father dies and he searches in his father's closet and finds a key. As the movie continues he tries to find a lock the key opens as he tries to overcome the sorrow of his father's death. The film does have moments of pure emotion and you can feel the pain the characters are feeling thanks to its fantastic actors, but sadly the dialogue is just flat and dull and it isn't nearly emotional enough to even pass at all as a good film. Also the lead character is just rude at times and basically ruins some of the most precious and emotional moments in the film and star Thomas Horn can't hold the movie on his own. The film is based on a great book but maybe it is just made to be a book. We will never know thanks to this not so great movie directed by Stephen Daldry who fails add enough emotion to this. I give this film 51% of a good movie. Expand
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    This is not a bad movie. It's just not a good one. There are parts of the film that are touching, but then there are parts that are so sappy it gives you chills, and not the good kind. The cast is decent, though I found Thomas Horn's performance as Oscar Schell much more annoying than endearing. Tom Hanks didn't really act in this one, he just played his normal, lovable self. Overall,This is not a bad movie. It's just not a good one. There are parts of the film that are touching, but then there are parts that are so sappy it gives you chills, and not the good kind. The cast is decent, though I found Thomas Horn's performance as Oscar Schell much more annoying than endearing. Tom Hanks didn't really act in this one, he just played his normal, lovable self. Overall, the movie tries to take us on an "emotional journey" but we don't really end up getting anywhere. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    I have finally watched this critic-panning 2011 BEST PICTURE nominee, its Stephen Daldry
  18. Jan 25, 2012
    This film has a lot of great performances through out. That, however, is the only good thing I can say about it. The story is very odd and rather extreme. The only parts that really moved me were the ones dealing with 9/11. This was not because of good writing, but rather the use of a traumatic and sensitive event as a plot point. The character of Oskar was also an issue because they neverThis film has a lot of great performances through out. That, however, is the only good thing I can say about it. The story is very odd and rather extreme. The only parts that really moved me were the ones dealing with 9/11. This was not because of good writing, but rather the use of a traumatic and sensitive event as a plot point. The character of Oskar was also an issue because they never establish any medical issue with him which makes his character crude and make little sense. I really see no reason why this film got a nomination for Best Picture. Expand
  19. Jan 22, 2012
    Was so glad to see a movie more about the effects of 9/11 than the violence, so tired of movies that fire us to fear or violence and the human connection in this one was great. The angst, of "the renter", the lack of restraint in the kids attitude was real, who's going to shut down a child of a 9/11 survivor with Asburgers. Best part was the kids realization, and how it all comes full circle.
  20. Mar 29, 2012
    Extremely Loud and Incredible Close, amazing movie, emotive and all but, I think that the final result be better, but no. I'm started for the cast, the amazing cast. Sandra Bullock, Tom Hanks, Max Von Sydow, are amazing, but for me the weakness is the kid, is some grey, and boring, but have an interesting performance, really, but with a better effort, can be better. Now the screenplay, weExtremely Loud and Incredible Close, amazing movie, emotive and all but, I think that the final result be better, but no. I'm started for the cast, the amazing cast. Sandra Bullock, Tom Hanks, Max Von Sydow, are amazing, but for me the weakness is the kid, is some grey, and boring, but have an interesting performance, really, but with a better effort, can be better. Now the screenplay, we watching much movie about the gemel towers, the amazing Remember Me, and other films, and the screenplay is some strange, and boring, in my opinion, but is emotive in some parts. Now the photography, is really beauty, the best part of Extremely Loud and Incredible Close. And finally the rest of the movie, is amazing, have much interesting things, is amazing, but I think that other movies do a better job. In no much words, if you do't wanna watch a complex movie, Extremely Loud and Incredible Close is for you. Expand
  21. Aug 24, 2014
    I had an awfully difficult time finding realism in a film based on one of the most tragic moments in American history. While Max von Sydow unexpectedly shines (years after having originally worked with Woody Allen), the film attempts to use poignant drama without any real purpose.
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    I did like :

+ An intresting story. + Sandra Bullock (more time passes more she is beautiful) who play fine too. + Actors are good especialy Max von Sydow (The grandfather). + John Goodman in a film ;) I did not like : - Too long and too flat ... - The father was too perfect (not like in reality ...) - The mother was too perfect (not like in reality ...) - The boy is too
    I did like :

+ An intresting story.
    + Sandra Bullock (more time passes more she is beautiful) who play fine too.
    + Actors are good especialy Max von Sydow (The grandfather).
    + John Goodman in a film ;)

I did not like :

- Too long and too flat ...
    - The father was too perfect (not like in reality ...)
    - The mother was too perfect (not like in reality ...)
    - The boy is too intelligent and not realy autist.
    - John Goodman had a very very short role.
    - The parallel between Americans affected by 9/11 Jews in the 2nd World War.

Finally it is a film about 9/11 for the whole family where you shed a tear, but just too long and too Manichean to be excelent.
  23. Dec 7, 2012
    If you like Stephen Daldry, I really recommend this film. His touch is all over it, and the film delivers some very dramatic moments. However it's also one of the most frustrating pictures of 2011. The young actor, Thomas Horn, gives a terrific performance, but it will likely annoy many viewers and ruin the film. Overall, a nice film worth checking out.
  24. Apr 8, 2013
    Extremely long and incredibly crap. The only purpose this movie had was be sentimental and receive a nomination for Best Picture (which it was). The kid is extremely annoying and just irritates me throughout the movie. If you wish to see a Best Picture nominee watch something else (even The Reader, also directed by Stephen Daldry, which is better than this to some extent).
  25. Nov 1, 2013
    I actually went to this movie hoping I would cry because I like sad movies. This movie was long and boring. I just sat through this movie because I wanted to know the ending. The whole "I have to find the lock that fits the key" story was interesting, though. Thomas Horn gave a very good performance as his character, though and Max Von Sydow's performance is a tiny bit overrated.

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Feb 13, 2012
    It's just too tempting to dismiss it as extremely long and incredibly disappointing. It's challenging, divisive and has moments of beauty but leaves you cold.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Jan 21, 2012
    This precious story line, adapted from a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, keeps shriveling up against the backdrop of a traumatized city; only gaunt Max von Sydow, as a mute old man who accompanies the young hero on his rounds, supplies the grave authority the premise demands.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jan 20, 2012
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is supposed to promote healing, but as they say in New York: close, but no cigar.