Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 16, 1999
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 279 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MrElveyDec 29, 2012
Pretty awesome if you examine it closely. But sucks if you just take it at face value. Like Shakespeare in that way.

I just watched it again, and read Introducing Sociology A Review of Eyes Wide Shut by Tim Kreider It's such a great

I just watched it again, and read Introducing Sociology
A Review of Eyes Wide Shut
by Tim Kreider It's such a great review of the movie's reviews (and it's free and online, though originally from "Film Quarterly".) I just had to come here and, I see, finally (over 2 years after joining) post my first review in order to mention it - it's such a great read-perhaps better than the movie itself.

It's pretty awesome to see how a thorough analysis makes such a mockery of the run-of-the-mill reviewer's reviews - those from the New York times and Washington Post.

The movie is chock full of masterful iconography. While I missed little of the visual symbology, such as the use of spaciousness, and evil symbology, I didn't pick up on most of the linguistic symbols, from witty names like that of the profligate "Doctor Bill" and ruling class "Victor" to the commercial signage.

The greatest strength of the film is the social criticism angle - like 'Pig Hunt', which I played a tiny part in producing. It lays bare an exquisite panorama of crassness and wretchedness, like pig adorned in diamonds and pearls.

Somehow, the acting was believable and I was drawn into the movie, even as the characters came across as the flattened sterotypes that Kubrick clearly wanted.
RodrigoBGCSep 26, 2011
Ever wonder what the real drama? what a drama movie? Eyes Wide Shut is the perfect example of drama, fear, obsession, passion, etc. Perhaps as the movie progresses you are wondering, what does this have to do? but this is one of those filmsEver wonder what the real drama? what a drama movie? Eyes Wide Shut is the perfect example of drama, fear, obsession, passion, etc. Perhaps as the movie progresses you are wondering, what does this have to do? but this is one of those films that eventually will show that every action has a reaction Expand
ManolisS.Oct 1, 2006
One of the best films ever! The most addictive film, the closing of a genius watch it again and again.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
AlanM.Oct 21, 2006
A genuinely superb film, that goes over the heads of most of those who do not like it.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
MorningtonOct 23, 2010
Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is a deeply profound film that blankets reality with eroticism like a dark glaucoma of the mind and is the closing of perhaps a perfect filmography of an old master always trying to change the form.
JLONov 22, 2010
El director de solo obras maestras se salió con la suya de nuevo. Su última obra lo encontró tan genial, hosco y detallista como siempre. Las actuaciones también fueron obra suya. Salud KubricK!
wisertimeNov 25, 2013
I love this movie. The more you watch it the more you see/learn and reveal. You have to study about it and re-watch it. At face value, most people may not "get it" or recognize the subtleties or symbology and dialogue. It's a master workI love this movie. The more you watch it the more you see/learn and reveal. You have to study about it and re-watch it. At face value, most people may not "get it" or recognize the subtleties or symbology and dialogue. It's a master work and Kubrick is an amazing director. When his movies are on, you just know it's "Kubrick". This is one of those dozen or so movies, I can't take my eyes off if I flip channels and find it playing (Kubrick's other movies are on that list too: 2001, The shining, etc). There are so many messages in the movie and subplots, you just have to study it, watch it, pause video to read the signs throughout the movie and discover all the other hidden messages within that Kubrick painstakingly put in there for the viewer to see.
I "liked" it in the theater...more for the fantasy, imagery, music and cinematography, but the more I learn about it, the more I love it. Same things can be said for "The Shining" and others. I hated "A clockwork Orange", but have since come to enjoy it after further viewings. None are movies you can fully take at face value.
JoshW.Sep 19, 2005
It took several viewings for this one to grow on me. But with each viewing it presents itself in a new and exciting way. Very few, even in Kubrick's stuff, can so subtly play out and reveal new levels of depth like this film. At the It took several viewings for this one to grow on me. But with each viewing it presents itself in a new and exciting way. Very few, even in Kubrick's stuff, can so subtly play out and reveal new levels of depth like this film. At the very least, I would ask those who hated it, or even found it to be nothing more than a moderate success to trust in Kubrick's skill. Keep watching it and you'll see that even at the end, he was at the top of his game, if not even a little better. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
asthobaskoroMay 6, 2012
Eyes Wide Shut is impressive cinematic work. Maybe it's not Kubrick's masterpiece but the its two lead has a charm, especially the conversation between them on the bed. **** Probably but everything is there.
PaulWJan 19, 2014
This movie is a bold expose of the Satanic secret societies of the uber-wealthy in the United States. To find out the story behind this movie, start researching; bohemian grove, bilderberg group, house of rothschild, Skull & Bones,This movie is a bold expose of the Satanic secret societies of the uber-wealthy in the United States. To find out the story behind this movie, start researching; bohemian grove, bilderberg group, house of rothschild, Skull & Bones, freemasons.
To give you an example of how exclusive these Satanic societies are, just remember that in the movie, Harford was an M.D. and even he was nowhere near the level of these others. Poolroom scene: Victor: "I couldn't even BEGIN to figure out how you had ever even HEARD of us.., let alone have the password..."
The scenes depicted and described by Kubick are very real. The "security measures" and protocols are much more strict than suggested when one female member is apparently killed in compensation for Harford's intrusion, but the scene made for good theatre. Of course, an "outsider", like Nick, would never have been allowed anywhere near one of these groups, but again, it was a clever theatrical portal into the activities of the group.
After Harford walks through the halls and rooms of the mansion, he is commanded to "...never tell anyone what he has seen". This suggests something very illegal and very taboo. Here, we are talking about the pedophilic Satanic underground of the Zionist-controlled, globalist, multi-national corporation heads: Pool room scene: Victor: "If you knew their names, and I'm not going to give you their names, you wouldn't sleep very well at night..." These activities also involve breeding, slavery, human trafficking and human sacrifice.
Kubric was probably well-aware that he was stepping on some toes by writing, producing and directing this film. Those types of groups alluded to in the film were probably quite aware of the project before its completing, as well, because much of the entertainment industry is owned by large, multi-national corporations. The scene(s) at the costume-fitters shop (with the under-age female being prostituted) were a deft allusion to what Hanford saw on his walking tour of the mansion.
A bold and important film, and one that Kubrick may have lost his life over: he died of a "heart attack" after showing the final-cut movie once: To the main actors at a private exhibition.
Personally, I think Cruise's (and Kidman's) acting was perfect. Hanford's integrity, moderation and logic was a cool counterpoint to the thick and ominous intrigue that increasingly threatened him and his world.
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
"Eyes Wide Shut" is one of those movies that reaffirms the study of film - it's a masterpiece that gets better with every viewing; if you didn't like it the first time, watch it again and you're bound to find something new.
DavidH.Dec 20, 2006
Yes, it has its faults, yes Cruise and Kidman aren't very good, yes it's implausible that Bill could simply have been allowed into the morgue with no ID check. But I'll be damned if the film doesn't work as an intriguing Yes, it has its faults, yes Cruise and Kidman aren't very good, yes it's implausible that Bill could simply have been allowed into the morgue with no ID check. But I'll be damned if the film doesn't work as an intriguing mystery. Provocative, symbolically valid and altogether unique. Is it maybe a tacit indictment of the real-life personae of the leading couple? Whatever Kubrick's intentions, this is possibly one of his best films. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
peymanNov 27, 2011
Kubrick's final twist film. but The last film Kubrick, not of the best films... however i like many startling visuals and great use of music ...but I just wish this story had been given more capable hands to mold it. Kubrick, Kidman, andKubrick's final twist film. but The last film Kubrick, not of the best films... however i like many startling visuals and great use of music ...but I just wish this story had been given more capable hands to mold it. Kubrick, Kidman, and Cruise have nearly ruined what could have been a much better movie Expand
dollarsignJul 15, 2016
wow************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
AquaMorphJan 26, 2016
This film is genuinely unnerving with an engrossing atmosphere that is unforgettable. There is a good deal of depth to this film that you have to sift through which makes this surreal masterpiece so interesting to watch. The score was theThis film is genuinely unnerving with an engrossing atmosphere that is unforgettable. There is a good deal of depth to this film that you have to sift through which makes this surreal masterpiece so interesting to watch. The score was the perfect for the movie and added to the entire feel of the movie. With a watch if you like complex films that you have to think about to find meaning. Expand
sergtonaApr 9, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was very blame in its firsts years, someone says that its the most simple project of Kubrick. Es, anyway, a wonderful movie, very similar of the films that the director did in his first works. In my opinion, the two and something hours that this movie longs, are pretty short, because it ends of a very cut way, but also very mystical, and we don't know if what the doctor have seen was just a dream or it was really what happened. Charming sensual Expand
SnowDayJul 11, 2015
This is a very difficult film for me to review. It's sort of like finally getting to ride the best roller coaster in the world after standing in line for six days.
SpangleJan 24, 2015
A film that left me in shock multiple times during my viewing, Eyes Wide Shut is a special little film and a great way to end the career of one of the best directors of all-time, Stanley Kubrick. As brilliant as all of his preceding work,A film that left me in shock multiple times during my viewing, Eyes Wide Shut is a special little film and a great way to end the career of one of the best directors of all-time, Stanley Kubrick. As brilliant as all of his preceding work, Eyes Wide Shut is a dreamlike film that relies on his really intense and unsettling atmosphere for thrills to great effect. I truly have little idea about what went on, other than the obvious basics and some ways beyond that, but this one is truly a unique experience. Tom Cruise is great, as is Sydney Pollack. Nicole Kidman is not as good as the rest of the cast, but she is not bad either. Packed to the brims with little subtleties and little symbols, this one strikes me as one that I need to watch again down the line, but based on just one viewing, I can already say that I really, really like this film. Intense, brilliant, thrilling, and undeniably erotic, Eyes Wide Shut is a film that truly messes with your head and enjoys doing so. Expand
Compi24Sep 6, 2015
A dizzying and demented send-off, Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" poses a host of troubling questions and takes disturbing strides in almost answering them.
MovieGuysAug 23, 2016
Reportedly Kubrick's favorite film of his own as well as being his last feature film, Eyes Wide Shut is definitely an excellent movie. The non-linear story is very deep and can be easily missed if taken at face value.
igortoffoliMay 6, 2014
How can someone give a 20 score in this movie, this is the REAL DRAMA, it is scary, the music makes you fell afraid of what is gonna happen, this movie is just perfect, Stanley Kubrick is a genius!
IntroduceApr 7, 2016
Stanley is a genius.
Eye's wide shut is a centerpiece for many, script wise and cinematography wise.
In order to extract all the gold from this meditation, one has to be patient, one must be a true lover of cinema. Of all his films this
Stanley is a genius.
Eye's wide shut is a centerpiece for many, script wise and cinematography wise.
cinema. Of all his films this carries the most depth and to date no other soul has tackled this topic quite like Stanley. Only the ripening of a good mind can yield such a boundless harvest of Revelation.
ZawMineJun 26, 2015
Wow! That was hell of a trip. I know it's an R rated movie but I didn't see that coming. So disturbing. sensual and intense. The performance is great. Overall, Eyes Wide Shut is a special drama romance movie.
RobertBroganSep 30, 2015
Eyes Wide Shut has a good story for a psychological thriller. Overall, it is a good film (better than most films) but a low four stars, not at the level of the Shining or 2001. The film lacked in style and vibe, especially when I am remindedEyes Wide Shut has a good story for a psychological thriller. Overall, it is a good film (better than most films) but a low four stars, not at the level of the Shining or 2001. The film lacked in style and vibe, especially when I am reminded of American Beauty. Eyes Wide Shut may have been great if it were shorter and had an eerie, melancholy, wandering/lost vibe and camera style to match. But, again, it is a good story for a thriller, so give it a view if you in the mood. Expand
asmanrajMar 19, 2016
This movie is an unforgettable classic. Another reason to trust movie critics over the general public. This movie is captivating from beginning to end and is one of the best thrillers of all time.
Gehenn666Oct 28, 2015
How can someone dislike this movie? Seriously i wanna know.
How can someone dislike this movie? Seriously i wanna know.
Kubrick did an amazing job directing this masterpiece, Every aspect of it is fascinating thanks to the amazing direction,acting and music.You owe yourself the favour of watching it, you won't regret it
CriviewerDec 19, 2015
First impression: awesome. Cruise and Kidman fit perfectly their roles: he looks and acts smart, he fits the doctor role, she plays the middle/upper class wife role very well in almost all aspects. The music is great, even better is its use,First impression: awesome. Cruise and Kidman fit perfectly their roles: he looks and acts smart, he fits the doctor role, she plays the middle/upper class wife role very well in almost all aspects. The music is great, even better is its use, suspense and shock are well supported by proper timing.

Second impression: still pretty cool. There are some counts on which it failed, mostly the final explanation that Ziegler gives for the secret gathering. Of course it has to be vague, but it could have been better. The whole plot from the gathering on could use some more sense: a masked women "redeeming" the stranger that ultimately gets killed, it's predictable and too drastic to be great. From a film that's full of subtleties and symbolism, the plot resolution is slightly disappointing.

Overall a delightful movie full of suspense, shock, great music and convincing plot.
ReelViews94Mar 23, 2016
“Eyes Wide Shut” may have trouble living up to all the extreme and diverse expectations viewers may have for it, as almost any picture would under the circumstances. But after all the curiosity and attendant hype wash away, what one is left“Eyes Wide Shut” may have trouble living up to all the extreme and diverse expectations viewers may have for it, as almost any picture would under the circumstances. But after all the curiosity and attendant hype wash away, what one is left with is a riveting, thematically probing, richly atmospheric and just occasionally troublesome work, a deeply inquisitive consideration of the extent of trust and mutual knowledge possible between a man and a woman. Meticulous, deliberate and precise picture casts a particular sort of spell, one that will likely captivate older and thoughtful audiences more than it will mainstream Tom Cruise die-hards and those with short attention spans.

Less acerbic and, in its own tentative way, more optimistic about the human condition than any of the director’s previous films, this intimately focused updating by Kubrick and Frederic Raphael of Arthur Schnitzler’s beautifully observed 1926 novella “Dream Story” remains remarkably faithful to its source while also trading in familiar Kubrick concerns such as paranoia, deception, the literal and figurative masks people wear, and the difficulty for even intelligent human beings to transcend the base and self-destructive impulses that drive the species. Aside from its succession of delectable individual scenes, pic’s outstanding feature is its subtle and unstressed expression of a dreamlike state, a stylistic fusion of the gritty and the fanciful that allows for “reality” and the imaginary to merge to such an extent that it is of no concern which is which, if indeed they are distinct.

Kubrick first considered adapting Schnitzler’s Freudian, Vienna-set tale in the late ’60s, and in its sense of intellectual adventurousness and daring, as well as for its vaguely disembodied, out-of-real-space-and-time feel, pic seems rather more like a part of that era than of today’s cinema. Longtime Kubrick fans will therefore no doubt pick up on many nuances and meanings that could easily elude the masses of contempo viewers who are too young to have seen a Kubrick picture first-run in a theater.

Even though “Eyes Wide Shut,” like its source story, is seen from the male p.o.v. and largely concerns the obsessions, fears and limitations of its protagonist, pic is unique in the late director’s oeuvre in that it’s the women who far outshine the men. Kidman is sensational and luminous as she inhabits her character, who reps a convincing argument for the view that women are far more cognizant and expressive of their emotions than are men. When absent from the story during her husband’s wanderings, numerous other actresses willingly take up the slack in a succession of brief but indelible turns, most notably the intense Richardson as the bereaved neurotic daughter, the insinuating Shaw as the inviting prostie and Fay Masterson as the latter’s upfront roommate.

Where this leaves Cruise is the film’s most debatable issue. At face value, the star gives a limited, emotionally constrained, eyebrow-crinkling and grimacing performance, nor is he entirely convincing as an established favorite doctor to Gotham’s elite. No doubt the same complaints that were voiced about the ineffectuality of Ryan O’Neal in “Barry Lyndon” will be heard here about Cruise. On the other hand, it can be argued that the actor, who has none of the big thesping demands placed upon him that the women do, despite being onscreen nearly continuously, generously hands the picture over to his several outstanding female partners by allowing them to shine. While the role could have used an actor whose casual authority cloaked inner turmoil and desire, Kubrick found a way to use Cruise shrewdly, and thesp in no way impedes the picture from the full expression of its intentions and meanings.

As for the titillation factor, some of the dialogue is far more explicit than what’s on view. Kidman has much more action with her dream officer in her husband’s mind via black-and-white fantasy footage than she ever does with her mate. Orgy sequence features plenty of stunning nude women striding around as well as pretty standard soft-core simulations.

And so the career of a great filmmaker comes to a close with a work that, while not his most startling or innovative or subversive, nonetheless sees him striking out in exciting and sometimes new directions with his stylistic confidence and boldness intact. Given that the endings to his previous films have been variously absurdist, despairing, apocalyptic, mystical, corrosive, murderous and nihilistic, perhaps the fact that the conclusion here is at least guardedly hopeful suggests that, at the end, Kubrick believed in some sort of human progress after all.