Fargo

8.7

1. Aug 9, 2016
    The movie was boring, unfunny and not that well acted. The characters were all annoying (Especially the pregnant cop) and the story was very stupid and unbelievable. This overrated movie doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
  2. Jul 11, 2016
    The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "Fargo": This is really William H. Macy's show. His twitchy, stuttering, overly stressed portrayal of

What I Personally Liked About "Fargo":
    This is really William H. Macy's show. His twitchy, stuttering, overly stressed portrayal of Jerry Lundegaard is spot-on cinematic gold. He'll probably be remembered throughout his career for this one role and rightly so. The movie probably would have fallen apart without such an intricately formed performance standing in the spotlight. That's not to take anything away from Frances McDormand's portrayal of Police Chief Marge Gunderson. She was obviously born to play her role as well. From her soft vocal inflections to her inquisitive expressions, she is a great opposite number for Macy's uncomfortable criminality. Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare should also be noted as providing a wonderful balance between malicious intent and comic relief that fits well with the world the Coen Brothers have crafted so expertly. In addition, I really love the whiteness of it all. Seriously. I have always been a big fan of winter, both on screen and in real life, and there is no better depiction I can think of than "Fargo" for bringing stark, snow-covered American landscapes to life. Roger Deakins is one of my favorite cinematographers and it should be easy for anyone to understand why after watching his work here. Carter Burwell also did his best to score the film with dark noir tones and intimate underpinnings. Finally, we arrive at the unabashed stereotyping of Midwestern dialects. Political correctness be damned. This merely adds to the humor of the production.

What I Personally Disliked About "Fargo":
    There are a few minor quibbles regarding the pacing of the latter half of the film. However, they are so minor they're not really worth noting in this review. The one major drawback is Chief Gunderson's meeting with the Mike Yanagita character. Granted, this sequence helps Gunderson make connections later in the movie but it still throws off the rhythm of the picture. Surely, with their vast knowledge of wordplay and filmic invention, Joel and Ethan could have come up with something that suited the flick a little better than this.

My Overall Impression of "Fargo":
    Yanagita aside, the Coen Brothers hit their stride with this film. It was witty, it was biting, it was edgy, and it was refreshing. It was a true step outside the box of contemporaneous cinematic convention and it is still every ounce as entertaining now as when it was first released two decades ago.
  3. Jul 3, 2016
    Magnificent example of dark comedy, unique characters and the great cinematography of the Coen Brothers. Impossible not to admire with this every second planned masterpiece.
  4. Jun 1, 2016
    İzlediğim En Overrated Filmlerden Birisi
    İzlediğim En Overrated Filmlerden Birisi
    Diziyi izledikten sonra büyük bir beklenti ile filmi izledim. Belki de hatayı burda yapmışımdır. Çünkü filmin diziye kıyasla çok daha basit ve sıradan olacağını tahmin edememiştim. Dizinin öncesini anlatan bu film gayet sıradan karakter tiplemelerine, olay örgüsüne ve tatmin etmeyen bir sona sahip. Diziyi izlemek istiyorsanız, izlemelisiniz. Yoksa bu filmi bugüne kadar izlemediğiniz için pek bir kaybınız yok.
  5. Apr 16, 2016
    Rarely laughed throughout this movie. The intended humour didn't amuse me, actually it mostly came off as just weird. There were a whole bunch of great actors who put on great performances, but it was mostly yawns.
  6. Sep 25, 2015
    Although it's cinematography and some dialogue is exceptional, Fargo leaves too many arcs hanging as well as slow pace and it's sole joke of making fun of accents. The most overrated film out there and I don't think it deserves the praise it gets.
  7. Aug 31, 2015
    Joel Cohen does a great job at mixing a weirdly configured atmosphere of total suspense and comedy. Strange, at times funny, and intense make Fargo a good film.
  8. Aug 24, 2015
    A very dark comedy that is both hilarious at times and, at others, painful! The acting and direction are extremely well-done, and is the most acclaimed film from The Coen Brothers. If you've never seen it before, then go and see it already! It is a masterpiece!
  9. Jul 10, 2015
    Funny, violent and an overall fantastic film. Frances' performance was phenomenal and it was witty and satirical. It showed of the Coen Brother's true flare thorugh it's dialogue and ultra violence and is my all time favourite black comedy.
  10. Jul 4, 2015
    Its a very dark kind of comedy, which in premiums was very original and different at the time. Yet i feel it is important to note that fargos charm is the dialog between the characters, its just so comedic, also the acting is pretty top notch. Only big negative is the fact that the film doesn't really have any clear sense of direction within the plot, ,many little side plots are kinda justIts a very dark kind of comedy, which in premiums was very original and different at the time. Yet i feel it is important to note that fargos charm is the dialog between the characters, its just so comedic, also the acting is pretty top notch. Only big negative is the fact that the film doesn't really have any clear sense of direction within the plot, ,many little side plots are kinda just their within the story. Overall Fargo is a classic worth your time, its comedically dark. Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2015
    The Coen Brothers bring a different approach to the world of crime with this dark comedy film. After the glorification of crime films like The Godfather to Goodfellas there wasn't many crime films like Fargo which brought a new type comedy to the screen. Fargo can make you cringe at brutal murders to laugh from what they do to try cover it up. It is purely a stroke genius to pull two veryThe Coen Brothers bring a different approach to the world of crime with this dark comedy film. After the glorification of crime films like The Godfather to Goodfellas there wasn't many crime films like Fargo which brought a new type comedy to the screen. Fargo can make you cringe at brutal murders to laugh from what they do to try cover it up. It is purely a stroke genius to pull two very different aspects and roll them into one great film. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2015
    Expectations are always high when you watch a film like "Fargo" for the first time two decades after its original release, but I still generally liked it a lot and found both the final resolution and the message in this film plausible. The soundtrack was also enchanting.
  13. Jan 5, 2015
    No doubt an excellent film. In my opinion it is better than The Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men, and other Coen brother movies. I thought it was very well written, directed, and had a great story. Highly recommend this one.
  14. Aug 25, 2014
    A focused and fascinating look at hard times in Minnesota, brought to you by grandeur storytellers, the Coen brothers. It's dark, sometimes morbid, but with a hilarious performance from Frances McDormand, there aren't any emotions missing.
  15. Aug 6, 2014
    I absolutely loved this movie. The Coen brothers at there finest. This dark comedy is packed with gritty action scenes, funny dialogue, and the Coen brothers quirky humor. Hands down to Francis Mcdormand and Steve Buicemi (may be misspelled, sorry) for their great and funny performances too.
  16. Jul 26, 2014
    Ok this movie is a kick in my ass. Kick in my ass. Kick ass. That's a good movie. Why? Because it's not extra-long, not boring and not for pure retards. At least Daniel Day Lewis is not in the movie. Because, please, he's idiot.
  17. Jul 23, 2014
    Fargo is probably the darkest comedy of all time, The Coen Brothers know how to make a dark comedy it's in their blood. The film has everything that a dark comedy needs: weird/dangerous characters and "dark stuff that the characters should do". McDormand, Macy, Buscemi and the underrated supporting cast give smart perfromances
  18. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Fargo was such a good movie, with great acting from Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi. The best movie from Joel Coen and Ethan Coen besides No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski.
  19. Jun 21, 2014
    Heard many of great things about this but it was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I am not a huge fan of the Coen brothers movies which is maybe why I didn't enjoy it too much. It did have some good acting and a few memorable scenes which gets it to a positive review from me.
  20. May 1, 2014
    A comedy thriller by the hand of Ethan Coen, and a sharp script that makes us laugh while being at the edge of the seat. Short, Entertaining, funny, brutal, unforgettable performances, murders, jokes. What's not to love in this masterpiece?
  21. Mar 26, 2014
    Fargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce its characters, it puts you right into their world. The movie is enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. And by the end, you'll be saying to yourself,Fargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce its characters, it puts you right into their world. The movie is enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. And by the end, you'll be saying to yourself,

"I've seen enough f **kin snow to last me a lifetime."
    - John Amos, Die Hard 2
  22. Feb 17, 2014
    A crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their rather crude demise, and adds enough irony to make it an enjoyable and surreal laugh. One of Frances McDormand's most impressive performances, though theA crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their rather crude demise, and adds enough irony to make it an enjoyable and surreal laugh. One of Frances McDormand's most impressive performances, though the most impressive and underrated character goes to Steve Buscemi, who in my opinion was snubbed by almost every major award. Ya gotta love the Coens, eh? Expand
  23. Feb 9, 2014
    Fargo is good because it manages to be darkly humorous but at the same time gory, violent and down to earth. The characters seem very real and even relatable and the movie is just filled with classic moments.
  24. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favourites from the Coens. Makes me giggle every time I see wood chippers now; it's dark humor, and it's bloody brilliant. Quite literally.
  25. Dec 25, 2013
    It is one the most accessible Coen Brothers and a absolutely must see film to someone who enjoys cinema as I do. It is accessible, yes, but also a very smart well maid movie. It shows the talent of the brand The Coen Brother's'' and shows, also, how much they evolved since the 90's. It is not their best work, but It is, nonetheless, a great movie. I particularly liked the character ofIt is one the most accessible Coen Brothers and a absolutely must see film to someone who enjoys cinema as I do. It is accessible, yes, but also a very smart well maid movie. It shows the talent of the brand The Coen Brother's'' and shows, also, how much they evolved since the 90's. It is not their best work, but It is, nonetheless, a great movie. I particularly liked the character of Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand)- a pregnant police officer who as that ''cozy housewife'' kind of look. A kind smile and a peaceful attitude but a surprising great insight on the strange events that occur through the movie. Also I have praise William H. Macy as the bankrupt family man Jerry Lundegaard who takes the ''coward way out'' and starting developing schemes and even making arrangements with criminals to succeed. Without giving it away, the ending is brilliant and as shinning brilliant morality to it. As I said, It is a must see movie. Expand
  26. Aug 23, 2013
    It stands as one fine achievement. It accomplished so much in storytelling yet it was incredibly simplistic. Very funny with heavy use of satire. The atmosphere around Fargo proves that the Coen brothers know how to direct a movie. And what a movie it is.
  27. Aug 5, 2013
    Something which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller or horror flick, but the difference here is they are rolled into one, and Fargo is no different, the latest and one of the greatest from the two imaginativeSomething which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller or horror flick, but the difference here is they are rolled into one, and Fargo is no different, the latest and one of the greatest from the two imaginative brothers. Also, with these two comes a cast brimming with talent and versatile performances, especially from Frances McDormand, who puts in an Oscar-winning performance as cheerful yet inquisitive police chief Marge Gunderson, who is on the trail of two cons who have been hired by an in over his head salesman trying to rid himself of debts by collecting ransom money for his wife, but a series of mishaps and deaths put a whole different spin on a straightforward tale of fraud.
    William H. Macy plays the clever salesman who gets it all wrong, and the film perfectly captures him as a sort of anti-hero, simply trying to rid himself of worries but in typical fashion, good guys finish last. McDormand plays a woman who never truly seems up to the challenge, but surprises us at every turn, all the while being heavily pregnant. She lights up the screen with a budding and peculiar accent which only fits this type of film, she is sure to enjoy her day, but also do her job properly. The film manages to create a sense of wicked behaviour, but treat it as another day at the office for these gentle snow folk. The Coens create scenes that simply shouldn't be funny,, but the combination of a strong 'nice' accent and the comic timing from the actors, which is pivotal in many of the brothers films, make these scenes truly memorable to watch, they have ordinary and daily grind conversations, all while investigating a murder inquiry. Its the perfect blend of drama and thrill, but with a light-hearted stroke for those who simply love the art going on in front of them.
    It's truly a triumph not only for its time, but as time goes on, it never ceases to be a clever, simple and unique film, perfectly showcasing the Coen brothers for what they are known for, taking a simple premise and creating the most unpredictable and most engaging films imaginable, doing this through character interaction and environmental cues, combined with excellent scripts and pure talent in acting, easily one of the best films of the nineties for sure.
  28. Apr 19, 2013
    Fargo is a movie that can certainly be slow at times, but the plot always keep you interested in the movie and overall, it is certainly a great movie. The acting and directing were both on point.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    It's wry, dark, yet surprisingly sanguine. "Fargo" proves again and again to be a truly rewarding piece of cinema, and a delightful look into the incredible acting ability of Frances McDormand.
  30. Nov 15, 2012
    Oh ya, you betcha. Fargo's definitely one the most original, darkly funny, and ultimately maniacal movies I've seen. It's ring is almost that of a Pulp Fiction that takes place in Minnesota. It has all the same quirks.
  31. Jul 4, 2012
    When I first watched this i didn't know it was another Cohen film I liked. Love this film cuz' of the heavy accents (from "da norte US, eh") but also cuz of the simple story as well. Macey steels this flick in his role. And although their is inherent violence, you can easily begin to identify with with each character. Which, goes a long way about describing this movie.
  32. Jun 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film, it is a twisted comedy which really works because of the innocents of Midwest America. It is easy to see why Frances McDormand won a Oscar for her role as the pregnant police chief, she was believable and warm while trying to track down murderers while their list of victims keeps growing. I don't think this film could of worked in many other locations then NorthI really enjoyed this film, it is a twisted comedy which really works because of the innocents of Midwest America. It is easy to see why Frances McDormand won a Oscar for her role as the pregnant police chief, she was believable and warm while trying to track down murderers while their list of victims keeps growing. I don't think this film could of worked in many other locations then North Dakota/Minnesota, just the subtle charm and innocents of the people is what makes this film in my mind. I give it a 7.4 out of 10, definitely will be watching the one again. Expand
  33. Apr 5, 2012
    A classic. A very interesting, yet simplistic story, some very interesting characters and brilliant acting. Also has a fantastic atmosphere. I recommend this great movie.
  34. Mar 7, 2012
    Uma das grandes obras dos irmãos Coen. Um festival de trapalhadas vai moldando um clássico do humor negro graças a Steve Buscemi e Frances McDormand e ogrande roteiro dos irmãos.
  35. Feb 21, 2012
    I can't really say what's wrong with this film cause I loved it while it lasted but when it ended I felt kind of disappointed. I guess that makes it perfect for the second viewing. By the way, Frances McDormand won an Oscar for this film as a leading actress but she is actually a supporting. And most of her scenes were distracting from the central plot, but she gave it a comic relief.I can't really say what's wrong with this film cause I loved it while it lasted but when it ended I felt kind of disappointed. I guess that makes it perfect for the second viewing. By the way, Frances McDormand won an Oscar for this film as a leading actress but she is actually a supporting. And most of her scenes were distracting from the central plot, but she gave it a comic relief. William H. Macy is lead but he was nominated for supporting. Buscemi and Stormare are standout. Expand
  36. Dec 30, 2011
    Fargo is not thrilling nor is it funny nor is it great. The Coen brothers film lack's suspense because most of the story is layed out for the viewer. The character's are all jerks except for Marge who is slightly annoying and stupid. Many people will say im not respecting the art that is put into Fargo but I just don't see it. The film's simplicity does not go to it's advantage because itFargo is not thrilling nor is it funny nor is it great. The Coen brothers film lack's suspense because most of the story is layed out for the viewer. The character's are all jerks except for Marge who is slightly annoying and stupid. Many people will say im not respecting the art that is put into Fargo but I just don't see it. The film's simplicity does not go to it's advantage because it does not give the viewer anything special about it. In the end Fargo is a crime comedy that is average with it's crime story and is a film that is not very funny. Collapse
  37. Sep 30, 2011
    The Coen Brothers presents "Fargo" not as a movie; they present it as a extreme state of art, a art that conveys silence and enlightenment altogether. If you are one of those people who really understand movies, this one's definitely for you.
  38. Aug 28, 2011
    If someone dares to say that Fargo is not one of the greatest films of all time, promptly slap them over the head, walk into the nearest hunting supplies store, return with an axe, chop the nay-sayer in half, and feed the corpse into a wood chipper. If that seems too harsh, you don't get Fargo.
  39. Jul 6, 2011
    This movie won two Oscars...it must have been a bad year at the movies. The movie never can decide if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller. Dorky cops, quirky characters that seem to have escaped from a slapstick flick, yet a brutal killer is at work, too. It doesn't go together. It's never funny, never believable, never exciting. In short, a waste of time.
  40. Jun 1, 2011
    When I first heard of Fargo, I thought from all these reviews that it was a comedy. When I read the genre, it told me it was a crime-thriller. And before I watched it on Epix, I learned it was a dark comedy. Then I thought I was gonna hate this movie, for the film "A Serious Man" was a dark-comedy and was also directed by the Coen brothers, was a complete and utter failure to me. But IWhen I first heard of Fargo, I thought from all these reviews that it was a comedy. When I read the genre, it told me it was a crime-thriller. And before I watched it on Epix, I learned it was a dark comedy. Then I thought I was gonna hate this movie, for the film "A Serious Man" was a dark-comedy and was also directed by the Coen brothers, was a complete and utter failure to me. But I soon came to realize something during the film; this movie is amazing. It started as a comedy, in which the laughs were very dark and enjoyable, then grew into a problematic drama, which grew into a crime film, and then quickly into a thriller. All the genres that I expected were in the film, but never was my first thought about it. Fargo is a film that surprised me completely. Winning two academy awards (Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay), Fargo is an exciting adventure to watch. Based in small cities of Minnesota, Fargo is about a car salesman who tries to buy an investment on a parking lot. He needs money, so he decides to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife and ask for ransom from her father (who is extremely wealthy) so he can get the money to invest. But not all goes as planned, and murder, lying, robbery, and much more occur in the events that happen afterwards. Joel and Ethan always seem to make me happy (besides "A Serious Man"), and not many directors can do that. The Acting was very well done, and I disagree with the Academy at not giving William H. Macy a nomination for Best Lead Actor, and not giving him a win for Best Supporting Actor. I believe his acting was more better than Francis McDormand, although she also did deserve her win. Steve Beschumi also played his part as a villain well, as he always does. The Cinematography of this film was good. But I am also upset with the Academy for not giving this film a nomination for the score, which was excellent. It was perfect for the film, and fit the scenes well. If I heard this score again, I'd know it was from Fargo. The film really revolves around the characters alot in the film, and I give much respect for the film. The different character's lives and feelings were depicted in a very different way, with scenes that just brought happiness, terror, or humor to the eyes of the character's, and the audiences. But, there were little parts in the film that I didn't like, starting with some unnecessary scenes. There were amounts of sex in the film which didn't need to be there, and some scenes that didn't make any sense. And then there was the fact that the police officer was pregnant, which brought a few laughs to the film, but no actual meaning to the plot. That's really all. All in all, this was a film that should be viewed by any happy, mature audience, and should be praised highly by everyone. Expand
  41. Mar 2, 2011
    Very gruesome and that was with seeing it on TV. However, a great black comedy. When it was funny, it was funny. The acting was superb. The setting great. Directing outstanding. It was the violence that had me put it at an 8. That's just the way I am even though it was integral to the movie.
  42. Jan 7, 2011
    Since Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batter you with their isolated sense of belonging where character is not representative of action. Kind hearted men make mistakes, arrogant patriarchs areSince Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batter you with their isolated sense of belonging where character is not representative of action. Kind hearted men make mistakes, arrogant patriarchs are heroic and women are almost childlike. These examples build a topsy-turvy world where the stability of the wintry environment is redemptive and though not able to offer peace, it incubates life. Behind an implicit sense of humour that is never exploited is the warm tale of a cold world where beauty is detached from humanity. Possibly one of the greatest achievements in cinema to date. 100/100 Expand
  43. Jan 6, 2011
    fantastic film very good would highly reccomend i was speachless at the ending of it people who gave it negative should really watch it again and see it for its true beauty
  44. Sep 2, 2010
    Definitely not the worst film - but my least favourite film of the Coens, I was bored with the plot and it tried to be a dark comedy, but it was just dark. Frances McDormand is cute as Marge but she gives a very plain performance if you ask me. But watch this for Peter Stormare's disposing of the body technique. That's it.
  45. Aug 30, 2010
    Sometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and Frances Mcdormand. It set the standard high for Joel and Ethan and except for one disappointing 2004 slip up they have succeeded in meeting it everytime. BeSometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and Frances Mcdormand. It set the standard high for Joel and Ethan and except for one disappointing 2004 slip up they have succeeded in meeting it everytime. Be warned however the film is incredibly bloody but if not squeamish (there's one particularly visceral moment) this is a hilarious, smart, perfect comedy that taught me how depraved my humour really was! Seriously everything about this movie is brilliant! Expand
  46. Aug 20, 2010
    Having lived in the city of Fargo from 1998 to 2009, I can tell you a fair amount of people there don't like this movie. I, however, think it's great. Of course, most anything directed by the Cohen brothers will be good. And Steve Buscemi makes any movie even better.
  47. matta
    Jul 20, 2007
    A classic that still seems fresh, funny and completely new over a decade later. P.S. I know it seems nitpicky, but Metacritic, you have in the synopsis that Frances McDormand is the wife who gets kidnapped. She's not. She's the cop. Just thought I'd let you know.
  48. ZackO.
    May 6, 2007
    Fargo is a great movie. It is by far the best Coen Brothers movie and also one of the greatest of all time. It is amazing how it can be intense and brutal while three minutes later, funny.
  49. JakeG.
    Mar 21, 2007
    Violent, bloody... but the most important thing is... it´s great. Frances McDormand is the best performance of the film, Buscemi and Macy are brilliant too!! A really master piece.10
  50. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Great movie! I may take offense if I were from North Dakota or Minnesota but they were exaggerating the accent a little. I thought all the actors were great.
  51. wongit
    Dec 27, 2005
    Just average. this is one of the most overhyped movies i seen in a while. it was decent. its by no means a bad movie but damn this movie was really overated thats all i got to say. i dont see alot thats so special about it.
  52. JerryX.
    Nov 28, 2005
    A film more flawless than "Fargo" doesn't come to mind because there isn't one. It is the epitome of the pitch-perfect motion picture, and it features two of the most superb performances in recent history by William H. Macy and Frances McDormand. It's simply one of the greatest thrillers of all-time.
  53. SusanJ
    Nov 2, 2005
    One of the funniest movies of all time. This is definitely going into a favorites list. Oh gosh!
  54. J.RyanG.
    May 27, 2005
    One of the finest films ever made. It's been said over and over that this is a modern American classic. They say that because it's true. Just watch the movie, and you'll see how the perfect movie is made. It's incredibly difficult to provide specifics about why this movie succeeds, perhaps because there are no glaring flaws that work to contrast with the film's One of the finest films ever made. It's been said over and over that this is a modern American classic. They say that because it's true. Just watch the movie, and you'll see how the perfect movie is made. It's incredibly difficult to provide specifics about why this movie succeeds, perhaps because there are no glaring flaws that work to contrast with the film's strengths. It's simply perfect, isn't it. Expand
  55. ButteredPopcorn
    Oct 13, 2004
    Meanspirited is right. No depth to speak of. A waste of time. the only scene worth watching is the relationship between the loving wife (detective) and her husband the stamp illustrator. Other than that, no one really cares about anyone else in this movie, the screenwriter patronizes them all, and the viewer is left with a shallow movie that simply is not worth caring about. All that was Meanspirited is right. No depth to speak of. A waste of time. the only scene worth watching is the relationship between the loving wife (detective) and her husband the stamp illustrator. Other than that, no one really cares about anyone else in this movie, the screenwriter patronizes them all, and the viewer is left with a shallow movie that simply is not worth caring about. All that was left was an attempt at comedy, and it was nothing more than dopey humor, which was not the least bit amusing. Bummer of a film. Expand
  56. AndrewM
    Aug 12, 2004
    Best viewed knowing little or nothing about the Coen brothers and their work. I am speaking from experience because I saw Fargo when it first came out on video (a good 5 yrs ago) and at the time I had not seen nor even heard of the Coens' films. I am sure that primarily because of this, I was hit for six (cricket term) by this oddball of a movie. I loved it. I told everyone I knew Best viewed knowing little or nothing about the Coen brothers and their work. I am speaking from experience because I saw Fargo when it first came out on video (a good 5 yrs ago) and at the time I had not seen nor even heard of the Coens' films. I am sure that primarily because of this, I was hit for six (cricket term) by this oddball of a movie. I loved it. I told everyone I knew about it, remarking "I have just seen this amazing film, it's so unique and funny and different, you've got to see it, you'll love it".....blah blah.....you get the idea, it was words to that effect. Anyway, my point being that if you watch this film without any pre-conceived notions and perceptions, you should adore it. Even if you're familiar with the Coens' work, this one should impress and entertain highly. The script is very clever, the setting is appropriately very unattractive, the actors are very skilled, and the two men in control are very very inspired! Expand
  57. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Easily one of the greatest films of all time.
  58. DanC.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Ingenious!
  59. DanC.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Ingenious!
  60. SlipStreem
    Feb 3, 2004
    Kind of an annoying joke repeated over and over again. How many "eh's" can you laugh at? Apparently, a lot for most audiences. Reminded me of the MacKenzie Brothers with a little more drama and weight. The Coen brothers put out some great stuff, but I'd say this ain't one of them.
  61. CamillaP.
    Jan 14, 2004
    This is the funniest, best, most original film I have ever seen. Great acting from all the actors!
  62. PatC.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Face it, Coen films are quirky, and their best moments are when their quirks ring true. For me, who has survived 3 winters in eastern Montana, this is their quirk masterpiece and a 10 movie. Not only was it cold and blizzarddy, but creative beyond expectation. McDormand nailed it when she noted it's a beautiful day, despite it being only a typical horribly ugly miserable prairie Face it, Coen films are quirky, and their best moments are when their quirks ring true. For me, who has survived 3 winters in eastern Montana, this is their quirk masterpiece and a 10 movie. Not only was it cold and blizzarddy, but creative beyond expectation. McDormand nailed it when she noted it's a beautiful day, despite it being only a typical horribly ugly miserable prairie winter day. Have to give it a 9 because, yes it's film gothic, but even a slow Swede doesn't have the hood up on his parka when the neighborhood is awash in melt water. Expand
  63. YoonMinC.
    Sep 27, 2003
    For all its intelligence and dedication, this is ultimately another smarmy Coen Brothers film. The movie is condescending toward white and blue collar criminals alike, toward law enforcement officers and other square folk. I guess only the Coens know best. It's feels as though everyone in the movie is a psycho of one sort of another. You got the dangerous psychos but the female For all its intelligence and dedication, this is ultimately another smarmy Coen Brothers film. The movie is condescending toward white and blue collar criminals alike, toward law enforcement officers and other square folk. I guess only the Coens know best. It's feels as though everyone in the movie is a psycho of one sort of another. You got the dangerous psychos but the female officer is a kind of a psycho too; she's so sure of her duties as officer and her sense of right and wrong that she's as blind to the human complexity as anyone else. Still, suspenseful as crime drama, as ensemble acting, and as surehanded directorial exercise, this qualifies as one of the key films of the 90s. Expand
  64. TommyL.
    Aug 31, 2003
    A classic...suspenseful at times...horrifying at others...hilarious at times, too. It's got it all.
  65. MikeN.
    Aug 16, 2003
    Macy is great and McDormand is very good, but I think The Hudsucker Proxy is a slightly better film.
  66. JimBob
    Mar 6, 2003
    I'm a huge fan of the Coens, especially the Big Lebowski, but I just felt this was a total waste of my time...i laughed only when Buscemi forced out another awkward F bomb.
  67. Gilbert
    Oct 2, 2002
    How can they be laughing at Minnesotans? They ARE Minnesotans, f'crying out loud. Either way, this is one of the very best films ever made, brutal and disturbing, garaunteed (sic) to leave you aghast at the very notion of criminal activity. Have the Coen brothers made a bad film yet? No, of course not. And they never will.
  68. SamB.
    May 29, 2002
    This film is the greastest film of all time. It might have some greusome violence, but it is highly necessary to capture the feeling of rawness that is being portrayed. In addition, the Coen Brothers keep one entertained with non stop laughs and Frances McDormand give a simply breath taking performance as the pregnant cop Margie.
  69. PaulaW.
    Jan 1, 2002
    The Coen brothers' films tend to rely heavily on regional caricature for their impact, and bless 'em, they do it well. In Fargo the brothers turn their camera on their own native state of Minnesota. The result is a guilty pleasure of a comic thriller, right down to the mayonnaise-laden buffets. More than a little mean-spirited, yes, but funny and gripping in spite of itself. The Coen brothers' films tend to rely heavily on regional caricature for their impact, and bless 'em, they do it well. In Fargo the brothers turn their camera on their own native state of Minnesota. The result is a guilty pleasure of a comic thriller, right down to the mayonnaise-laden buffets. More than a little mean-spirited, yes, but funny and gripping in spite of itself. Kudos to William H. Macy as the unforgettable Jerry Lundegaard, to the Mutt-and-Jeff duo played by Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare, and to the great Frances McDormand as a Minnesota-riffic pregnant cop. For a more respectful, and brilliant, take on the snowy-upper-Midwest thriller, try "A Simple Plan." Expand
  70. RyanM.
    Sep 14, 2001
    Screw the violence, leave likability behind, and let your senses realize, that "Fargo" is one of the greatest thrillers of all-time.
  71. MichaelF.
    Aug 26, 2001
    This and "Miller's Crossing" are the two most brilliant Coen bros. films! This film is flawless!
  72. ChrisR.
    Jul 14, 2001
    I am a fan of the Cohen brothers films since seeing "Barton Fink" years ago. This film Fargo left me annoyed and empty. Lots of quirky characters and absolutely no theme or anything worthwhile to think about. Not even very humorous, just mean. And yet for some reason this is their most well know film?! Sad.
  73. MichaelC.
    Mar 1, 2001
    A real stunner of a film. Unique, satisfying, and memorable, Fargo is a real winner, not to be missed.

The brothers, who have always seemed fond of their characters, have never taken quite so overt a stand for life's simple joys.
  2. Film.com
    Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    This mordant, macabre look at the American obsession with fast food, television and murder is icily funny.
  3. The Coens haven't been this sharp, focused and fluid since their first film. This is "Blood Simple's" promise fulfilled.