7.8

1. BradL.
    Oct 31, 2004
    Thouroughly entrancing and enigamtic. This will be difficult for the more jaundiced viewer who might be unable to view it through a lense of myth and parable.
  2. JimR.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Once seen, I could not get this film out of my mind. So moving, I took a day off of work in order to see it again before its much-too-short run ended. A New York Times reviewer described it best: "[I]t has an intensity that surpasses understanding." The cinematography is gorgeous, the story is deeply moving, the characters are much more human than most Americans care to admit. Immediately Once seen, I could not get this film out of my mind. So moving, I took a day off of work in order to see it again before its much-too-short run ended. A New York Times reviewer described it best: "[I]t has an intensity that surpasses understanding." The cinematography is gorgeous, the story is deeply moving, the characters are much more human than most Americans care to admit. Immediately shooting to the top of my list, I had to e-mail and thank Aleksandr Sokurov personally for his wonderful film... and happily received a reply. Expand
  3. AndrewL.C.
    Aug 3, 2004
    Reminds me, in a different way of course, of me and my father. I disagree with some of the reviews, where there are accusations and projections of "homosexuality." I see absolutely no elements of such. However, I would be bringing a different cultural viewpoint and perspective to the table as opposed to some "Westerners" regarding affection between a father and his child.
  4. KryshaA.
    Sep 18, 2005
    The coldness of this culture causes to perceive the warmth of this relationship (in flax nonetheless) between father and a son as homoerothic - nothing further from the truth. We all long for such intimacy and to have it with a parent and then to fly away is an ultimate nurtuing experience. Rarely we will get it here in US Maybe after exctasy...
  5. victors
    Jun 23, 2005
    If Sokurov can't see that the flagrantly incestuous quality of his film, then I would say he requires a lot of therapy. I hope he doesn't have children. Other than flaunting the dubious nature of the director's low level of self-awareness, this film has a disturbing, depressing but powerful impact on the psyche. It gets marks for it's Freudian foray into the If Sokurov can't see that the flagrantly incestuous quality of his film, then I would say he requires a lot of therapy. I hope he doesn't have children. Other than flaunting the dubious nature of the director's low level of self-awareness, this film has a disturbing, depressing but powerful impact on the psyche. It gets marks for it's Freudian foray into the director's unconscious. Expand
  6. MoT
    Mar 13, 2014
    The film Father & Son was clearly homoerotic as I undertstand it. Mr. Sokurov reportedly has bristled at the term being used about his movie, but I believe from what I've read, that it's because he regards homoeroticism as something low and non-spiritual. From what I have seen by artists whose works also have been so classified, it is related to an art form which is trying to depict theThe film Father & Son was clearly homoerotic as I undertstand it. Mr. Sokurov reportedly has bristled at the term being used about his movie, but I believe from what I've read, that it's because he regards homoeroticism as something low and non-spiritual. From what I have seen by artists whose works also have been so classified, it is related to an art form which is trying to depict the beauty of love shared often in a physical and sensual way by members of the same gender without (necessarily) being sexual. No, I don't believe Mr. Sokurov wanted to imply any incest or paederasty going on, but given our modern era, the taboos (some stemming from homophobia) regarding physical or emotional expression of intimacy, especially between males, and the legitimate concerns Western society has today about paedophilia and child abuse, I am surprised that HE is surprised about the associations. Sadly, such intimacy is disquieting to many for these reasons. Look even at how other characters stare curiously at the father and son. Are they wondering: what's going on between Aleksei and his dad? But that aside, art is able to capture the moments in life real or imagined, as shared by close friends of the same gender, father and son, brothers, cousins, and the like, where deeply heartfelt love is shown in a tactile way, expressed physically between them: boys and men play-fighting with each other, letting off steam by roughhousing and other horseplay that men and boys do, and so on. When an artist depicts these events, they are very sensual and homoerotic, but they are also very spiritual. In any event, regardless of how one wants to classify it, Father and Son is a lovely and thought provoking film-- mythic in its dreamy beauty and profundity, even as it leaves a number of mysteries about the main characters' lives unanswered. However, one really needn't "label" it as anything to enjoy its warmth. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    Irritatingly devoid of irony, the film has an unintentional but unmistakable homoerotic subtext.
    Borders on the risible but, because Sokurov is Sokurov, this exalted, wacky scenario--which uses Lisbon as an imaginary Russian seaport--is amazingly staged, inventively edited, and rich in audio layering, with camera placements that sometimes verge on the Brakhagian.
    Less a story than a situation, the film contends with a difficult transitional period in the lives of its title characters, who face the growing necessity of getting some distance from each other.