9.0

1. LukeK.
    Feb 4, 2005
    David Fincher does an excellent job with Fight Club.
  2. SeanP.
    May 19, 2007
    Still one of the most underrated movies ever. It is finally starting to garner the respect it deserves. Its time just had to come, that's all. Like Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now, it was ahead of its own time.
  3. ConorF.
    Feb 7, 2010
    I loved this movie, I think that it delivers its message with a punch and manages to develop the characters without taking anything away from the plot. I think there are two ways people come away from this movie. I think on the one hand you have the people that understand the movie, understand it for what it is, and realize it's brilliance. On the other hand you have the people that I loved this movie, I think that it delivers its message with a punch and manages to develop the characters without taking anything away from the plot. I think there are two ways people come away from this movie. I think on the one hand you have the people that understand the movie, understand it for what it is, and realize it's brilliance. On the other hand you have the people that look down upon the latter type as infantile for their like of 'senseless violence' and what-not. I think that it is truly these people that do not understand the movie or what it was attempting to bring across to its audience. If you come away from this movie thinking that it was only about the fighting or only about the 'twist' then you have apparently missed the majority of the film. This film seamlessly blends may aspects of cinematography to create one of the most memorable, powerful, insightful, and most of all entertaining films ever made. Collapse
  4. StickH.
    Mar 2, 2004
    I've just watched it for the 3rd time (this time with comentary) and ive got to say it is one of the best movies ive ever seen, theres just a certain atmosphere around the whole movie. Definetly on my top 10.
  5. leviS.
    Jun 1, 2005
    I honestly believe this is the greatest peice of film literature ever crafted. the movie is great on the surface, as a story of suppressive-aggressive men who beat the pulp out of each other, but at the same time, it is a deeply philosophical look at the modern man.
  6. ElisabethB.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Honestly, this is the best movie I'v ever seen. Well one of them. First of all, for the idiot critic that said he didn't like the comedy. It's not supposed to be a comedy. Moron. And to the other critic that said we'd be troubled to think this movie made a point of significance. It's not supposed to make a point. not every movie does. What point does the Godfather Honestly, this is the best movie I'v ever seen. Well one of them. First of all, for the idiot critic that said he didn't like the comedy. It's not supposed to be a comedy. Moron. And to the other critic that said we'd be troubled to think this movie made a point of significance. It's not supposed to make a point. not every movie does. What point does the Godfather make? No one bad-talks that. Critics are dumb. Expand
  7. ClifCarneiro
    Mar 9, 2009
    Perfection is not debatable! One of the best movies of the past decade (90's).
  8. GlennM.
    Jan 13, 2010
    'Infantile philosophizing'? There's no wonder America hates Fight Club, because of its harsh, brutal reality that truly makes you question life's values and your 'goals'. Fincher's, Norton's and Pitt's greatest movie, ever.
  9. WilliamG.
    Jan 13, 2010
    There is no doubt in my mind that this movie is one of the five best movies ever. The plot, the charecters and the style it is filmed in work cohesivly to create an amazing film. I have yet to see a flaw in it. It is original and has been copied because this fact.
  10. FilipeM.
    Mar 31, 2010
    Watch the first time and hate. Watch the second time and acknowledge that it's the best film that you've ever seen.
  11. Gilbert
    Oct 2, 2002
    Surreal. Satrical. Jet-Black. Hypnotic. Compelling. Chewable. Fight Club is all of these things. One of the best movies in a great year for movies...but a teensy bit "Marmite".
  12. Juan
    Dec 9, 2002
    The best movie of all time!!!!!
  13. MikeM.
    Oct 4, 2003
    My favorite movie by far. Never have I seen a movie portrey cynicism and originality so well. Great acting, great filming, great movie. Go see it.
  14. SamB.
    Mar 1, 2003
    This fantastic film starts as the regular guy doing regular things but then quikly jumps to a bout of sheer anarchic glee.see this movie or miss out.
  15. Abby
    Apr 4, 2003
    Absolutely incredible.
  16. KeithE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    Although the film is called 'Fight Club', the fighting is not supposed to be the main focus of the audience. Many critics saw only the fighting in this film, then I say: Watch it again! The fighting only symbolizes the main characters fall out of society. It is unfortunate that some people were so consumed by the fighting that they missed the main point of the film.
  17. JimC.
    Mar 9, 2005
    This movie uses a seemingly normal character trapped in a normal job, completely dependent on material things to give voice to our struggle to maintain an identity not based on the acquisition of consumer products. It's about scaring someone enough to put them in touch with the failures in life they have accepted. It's about everyone's personal dream to break free of the This movie uses a seemingly normal character trapped in a normal job, completely dependent on material things to give voice to our struggle to maintain an identity not based on the acquisition of consumer products. It's about scaring someone enough to put them in touch with the failures in life they have accepted. It's about everyone's personal dream to break free of the shackles of that which holds dominion over them. This movie refreshingly breaks out of the box. In order for a 'Critic' to give us an honest review of a movie like this one, the critic would have to break out of the box also. risking everything. And that's exactly what the movie is about, so naturally the 'Critics' wrote what was expected by their domineers. Everyone I know thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Expand
  18. Wongit
    Jun 5, 2005
    One of the most bizarre movies i have ever witnessed, but it was simply amazing. There is such a philosophical look at man that it is amazing and astonishing. Great acting, great fights, great dialogue, great lesson, Great film.
  19. NickH
    Aug 23, 2005
    Fight Club is easily in my top ten. I don't number my top ten because they constantly shift in position. I feel a sense of guilt when I rank one classic above another. But, I always know what ten movies are the best that I, personally, have seen. Being of a slightly younger generation than this movie was intended for, I don't remember the press surrounding it. Now looking back Fight Club is easily in my top ten. I don't number my top ten because they constantly shift in position. I feel a sense of guilt when I rank one classic above another. But, I always know what ten movies are the best that I, personally, have seen. Being of a slightly younger generation than this movie was intended for, I don't remember the press surrounding it. Now looking back at all the negative and average reviews, I have to think "What were all those critics on?". A 66 percent? Do you know that the 'Superman: The Movie' has a better score (92%) than this classic piece American cinema! Why is this film not given it's due by the Media? I know why, it's too confusing/violent/abstract for America's less talented, conservative critics. You just have to take this flick for what it is. And that's how you determine what makes movies great. When I became a huge film buff, I was soon told about this movie and shortly there after I rented it - some time ago, I write this just recently having watched it on DVD again - I was wondering how many Oscars it won. It was that great. Zero. Sad, but then again... Oscars don't equal greatness - look at Speilberg. If you haven't seen this movie yet, rent or buy it, and simply take a great movie for what it is. A great movie. Expand
  20. micked13
    Jan 20, 2006
    I've read alot of crtic reviews that don't like this film however the vast majority of movie goers reviews I read are extremly positive. The main problem a lot of people seem to have is that this film is too stylish, and they don't agree with the voilence and content, and the story gets a bit lost. However, I didn't find this with this film and would recommend that I've read alot of crtic reviews that don't like this film however the vast majority of movie goers reviews I read are extremly positive. The main problem a lot of people seem to have is that this film is too stylish, and they don't agree with the voilence and content, and the story gets a bit lost. However, I didn't find this with this film and would recommend that people should watch it simply to see if the love it or hate it! Expand
  21. RDalvi
    Mar 15, 2006
    Excellent performances by Norton and Pitt. Carter is hot. Good theme and razor sharp execution.
  22. EricB.
    Mar 25, 2006
    this an amazing movie, plain and simple. at first glance, it's your simple action movie, but if you watch and analyze it, it goes MUCH deeper than that. Very well filmed, and I myself was surprised to find the main focus of this movies was not guys fighting eachother. As was said by Gemma Files of Film.com, " It's also just damn good, on every possible level -- so go see it. Now. "
  23. KrisA.
    Jun 16, 2006
    It is a great thriller and keeps you guessing to the end. Everyone should see this movie atleast once.
  24. MaxM.
    Jun 28, 2006
    "The theme is about how modern society has reduced males into enneuchs and how this warps our subconscious into anarcho-fascist mode." No. No No No. Also, the people that say that the movie was good up until the "second-half" say that because the sole humor of the first part becomes entangled with the complexity of the entire film. In this film there isn't a first and second half, it "The theme is about how modern society has reduced males into enneuchs and how this warps our subconscious into anarcho-fascist mode." No. No No No. Also, the people that say that the movie was good up until the "second-half" say that because the sole humor of the first part becomes entangled with the complexity of the entire film. In this film there isn't a first and second half, it is a full length movie plain and simple (and believe me, I do understand that they just say that to divide parts of the movie for easier reference). The movie is supposed to be thought like this to show the adaptation of the plot. Please people, seriously! Even the actual critics have ruined what should be an almost, if not completely, perfect score. The scores that some of these critics give leave their comments to "sick, twisted humor" or something of the sort - WHAT?! Go critique somewhere else please, because, although the movie is supposed to be humorous (which can be understood by the more deeper thinkers) it is not only a comedy with a crazy plot twist. This movie of course will be liked by some more than others, but if you don't understand the actual plot line and what it really is, then just leave your comments to yourself or share them with a friend, and if you really want to see what the movie conveys, then read some of these reviews or watch the movie again or something! The movie uses so many great techniques, not only in dialogue but also in camera usage and almost eveyr single possible ability that could be used in a movie, really. Oh yeah and back to the quote that I used to start this off (a quote from one of the other users), the movie is not just about "The theme is about how modern society has reduced males into enneuchs and how this warps our subconscious into anarcho-fascist mode" (did you not notice the entire appearance of the character Marla Singer?) although it may sound sort of corny, the theme could be considered more along the lines of "There is a Tyler Durden in all of us" kind of thing. There is way too much detail to go into for such a well thought out and socially complex movie for me to put in here. Watch the movie again, and if you don't get it - watch it again. An element of the movie that is so genius is that although it is deep and all, the actual approach to the movie and the plot and the entire film, really, is that it doesn't have an "artsy-fartsy" kind of setting and dialogue (to some extent yes it does, but you get the point.. I hope) it uses a more down-to-earth realistic view of ourselves, and I say ourselves as everyone, and the actual fabric of human nature and how some things affect the subconscious. Fight Club is really a very, very good movie. Expand
  25. RL
    Nov 1, 2007
    I really don't understand the scoring system meta has.. but what ever I saw a few 100s for this movie. Good enough. What an original movie.The people who rated in the red are fags I think.
  26. JimB.
    Mar 25, 2007
    One of the greatest movies of all times. Connects with the viewer on a political, moral, romantic, personal, and work ethical level.
  27. terrak.
    Jul 28, 2007
    Great movie.
  28. Alexandra
    Sep 22, 2007
    Fight club is the best film I've ever seen, it´s really brilliant it conects a political, moral and a consumerist ikea world in one film. Everone does watch it to love this movie.
  29. BarryP.
    Oct 18, 2008
    Such awesome acting from all of the main cast. It's the best thriller out there.
  30. WesleyT.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Fight Club is easily one of the greatest American films since The Godfather.
  31. timR
    Feb 4, 2009
    Beautifully damaged characters.
  32. AlbertoA
    Aug 10, 2009
    Perhaps the greatest film of our generation, without a doubt Fincher's best work, and Pitt's legacy.
  33. AntonioS.
    Feb 22, 2010
    One of the best movies I've ever seen - brilliant acting, directing, and writing.
  34. JacobF.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Fight Club is such a great film and one of my favorite movies of all time. The story is great and so is the acting. The ending will blow your mind. If you haven't seen this movie you need to watch it whenever you get the chance.
  35. JoeD
    Mar 22, 2010
    This is definitely the best movie i have ever seen.
  36. Seamus
    Jun 14, 2010
    One of the best movies ever made.
  37. RyanM.
    Jul 29, 2001
    Brilliant. Absolutely sensational in every way. Hysterically funny and amazingly interesting, which is so hard to do these days. It also pulls off a killer twist to make itself the best movie of 1999.
  38. AlexK.
    Jul 7, 2001
    Quite possibly the most influential and brilliantly crafted film of the decade. I don't have to go into a long paragraph about the fantastic performances, cerebral plot and themes, clever writing, and ground-breaking directing, because you've probably either already heard it from someone or heard the exact opposite from someone else. Not everyone will like it, that's for Quite possibly the most influential and brilliantly crafted film of the decade. I don't have to go into a long paragraph about the fantastic performances, cerebral plot and themes, clever writing, and ground-breaking directing, because you've probably either already heard it from someone or heard the exact opposite from someone else. Not everyone will like it, that's for sure, but I loved it and still do. It's the most intelligent movie to come out of Hollywood... well... ever. Don't listen to the hype, whether positive or negative. See it for yourself, it's quite a ride. Expand
  39. PyroP.
    Sep 29, 2001
    It's creepy how many times I have watched this movie. It's amazing. And it also contains one of the funniest scenes in a movie I have ever seen. (When Pitt rides the bike and crashes in the house). Watch that scene with 3 or more intelligent people and you will find yourself rolling on the floor for no reason except it's sheer stupidity. As a basic rule, you are not allowed It's creepy how many times I have watched this movie. It's amazing. And it also contains one of the funniest scenes in a movie I have ever seen. (When Pitt rides the bike and crashes in the house). Watch that scene with 3 or more intelligent people and you will find yourself rolling on the floor for no reason except it's sheer stupidity. As a basic rule, you are not allowed to watch this movie if you are 1) a "like you know, whatever" girl, 2) You are easily offended, or 3) You take yourself and life too seriously. Expand
  40. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    Welcome. Welcome to another incredible performance by Ed Norton. Welcome to the only movie American Beauty should have had to worry about. Welcome to what satire should be. Welcome to Fight Club.
  41. NinjaMafia
    Oct 12, 2003
    When I first heard of fight club, I thought it was going to be a horrible movie. That was back in 1999. A few months ago, one of my friends told me I had to see it. I still thought it wasn't going to be that good of a movie but I decided, hey why not. Well now I think it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Okay the storyline starts out with this insomniac that tries to cure his When I first heard of fight club, I thought it was going to be a horrible movie. That was back in 1999. A few months ago, one of my friends told me I had to see it. I still thought it wasn't going to be that good of a movie but I decided, hey why not. Well now I think it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Okay the storyline starts out with this insomniac that tries to cure his insomnia by going to group meetings for diseases he doesn't have. This did start to cure his insomnia until a woman came and started to do the same thing only it was for her own pleasure of seeing other people worse than herself. The insomniac (I'm pretty sure the main character doesn't have a name but i'm not 100% sure) also travels a lot for these meetings. On a plane, he mets Tyler Durden. Tyler is a soap salesperson thjat is also what seems to be an arson or pyrotechnic from his vast knowledge of explosives. When the insomniac (I'll call him Jack) gets back to his apartment, it has been destroyed byt some explosion. Jack then calls Tyler to see if he could live with him. Tyler agrees but under one condition "I want you to hit me as hard as you can". After Jack does hit Tyler as hard as he can, Tyler and him get into a fist fight. They enjoy it so much that they start to do it every week. Eventually, people start seeing them beat eachother up and decide to join in. They then decide to make fight club, a club to releive strees and to let out the males true self. Fight club eventually turns into project myhem, a group wanting to destroy civiliazation so that everyone can act as their true sselves and not hide behind society. I don't want to give off anymore of the storyline so I'm going to quite right there. The movie's storyline is really deep with a great plot twist at the very end. The chracter alls have incredible depth, even for ones that don't seem to important. My only complaint with this movie is it's soundtrack, but I don't really expect good music from a movie. The actors all play their roles really well, everything about this movie just seems so great. I could rant on for a few more hours about how much I love this movie but let me leave off on this note, not efveryone will like fight club, some people can't look past its blood to see what the movie is really about, however people that do will find themselves pleasantly surprised. Expand
  42. PaulF.
    Apr 2, 2003
    This is the best film ever! find out about it on the internet- see how many where influenced by it.
  43. BrentB.
    May 8, 2003
    This movie is probably the second deepest modern movie, only to the matrix. I like this movie more though for the pure entertainment value.
  44. DomS.
    Aug 10, 2003
    Never before has any contemporary film grabbed the essence of cynicism, anger, hopelessness, absurdity, dross, snap, frustration, paroxysm, and blind suffocation of the faceless bystander's malaise. Uncompromisingly brilliant.
  45. NicholasD.
    Nov 27, 2004
    10++++++++++++++++ This might be perhaps the best movie i've ever seen. I'm a director myself (or at least i've finished studying to become one) and i got to say that the style of Fincher is always impressive, that "yellow toned, dirty celulloid" style is just amazing... Not AT ALL a "stoners movie" like a person said above. Gotta see it to make your own mind about it, Me? 10++++++++++++++++ This might be perhaps the best movie i've ever seen. I'm a director myself (or at least i've finished studying to become one) and i got to say that the style of Fincher is always impressive, that "yellow toned, dirty celulloid" style is just amazing... Not AT ALL a "stoners movie" like a person said above. Gotta see it to make your own mind about it, Me? i love it... Expand
  46. DonnieD.
    Nov 6, 2004
    It hurts to read bad reviews for such a great movie, Los Angeles Time you just lost a reader.
  47. DaveB.
    Feb 25, 2004
    Still one the best movies of the 90's. period.
  48. TylerD.
    May 22, 2004
    The Best Film EVER! 10++
  49. EmilI.
    Jun 10, 2004
    10+ for Fight Club! I can watch this film frame by frame and find a deep meaning in every word of the characters... and for those who say it's hard to watch I have only one advice: try seeing the fights as a form of catharsis.
  50. WackyMan
    Aug 29, 2004
    Excellent stuff.
  51. BichanelM.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This is one of the best movies of the 90's, It's original and interesting. I don't know why it received bad reviews. I saw this movie a couple of times, each time I see it it speaks to me in a different way.
  52. Belomor
    Mar 28, 2005
    99 out of 10! Im amazed that there are people that failed to see the point of this movie! I watch it quite often and always do i find out new stuff about it. It works on far too many levels! Never have i been so into the movie the 10-20th time watching it. All those "plot flaws" actually make sense if u give it a thought....Oh man too excited to discuss it, watch it yourself and 99 out of 10! Im amazed that there are people that failed to see the point of this movie! I watch it quite often and always do i find out new stuff about it. It works on far too many levels! Never have i been so into the movie the 10-20th time watching it. All those "plot flaws" actually make sense if u give it a thought....Oh man too excited to discuss it, watch it yourself and you'll understand!!! Expand
  53. AmandaS.
    May 30, 2005
    This movie is wonderful and anyone who disagrees has terrible taste.
  54. VinnyA
    Aug 18, 2005
    I wasn't crazy about this movie the first time I saw it. Now it's one of my favorites.Comedy this black takes a few rounds of desceancetizing to get the feel for. It must be seen at least twice to get the full effect. Watch it. Love it.
  55. Benjamin
    Oct 15, 2006
    One of the most engaging, intelligent, thought-provoking movies of our time.
  56. JimB.
    Feb 27, 2007
  57. Charlie
    Mar 7, 2007
    Very fun to watch nortons materialistic character have some real sense bashed into him, recommended for every type of person out there for its real message.
  58. JustinS
    Jan 13, 2008
    One of the greatest guy movies ever. Anyone who doesn't like this movie probably listens to Kenny G music. And by definition should be legally and morally stripped of any human rights.
  59. KatieV.
    Jan 30, 2008
    This movie possibly suffers for its title. Fight Club is one of the most cynical and bitter expressions of the world. Yet, in a completly dark and disturbing way, it's beautiful.
  60. InfamousButcher
    Mar 25, 2008
    Awesome is all can say, I've got nothing bad to say about it, its all awesome. It's a must watch.
  61. Casey?Br
    May 13, 2008
    Frist Anacho-Fascist is the wrong word. The movie is Nihilistic. Tyler Durden is the archtype of Nihilistic theroy. All Palanhiuk novels have at least one Nihilist character. The word you people are using is way wrong. Also the movie is often word for word from the greatest novel of the 1990s, including nearly all of the joke lines so insluting them is a slap in mulitple faces. The Flim Frist Anacho-Fascist is the wrong word. The movie is Nihilistic. Tyler Durden is the archtype of Nihilistic theroy. All Palanhiuk novels have at least one Nihilist character. The word you people are using is way wrong. Also the movie is often word for word from the greatest novel of the 1990s, including nearly all of the joke lines so insluting them is a slap in mulitple faces. The Flim is shot beautifully and acted very well so even if the consepts make you feel uncomfortible there is no excuse to give it lower than a 6 purely on those grounds. People that enjoyed this movie should read the book, it reads very fast and with seeing the movie first it will feel as though Edward Norton is talking in your head; that can't possibly be a bad thing. Expand
  62. MH
    Jun 16, 2008
    A movie which explores the human psyche and travels into the uncharted territories of the mind, bringing (almost) everything into question but allowing the audience to pass judgement.
  63. JohnE.
    Aug 28, 2008
    One of the best movies of all time.
  64. MattD.
    Sep 25, 2008
    This movie is deep and awesome. Anyone who complains that it's "not funny" (like some of the reviews actually do) does not know what he/she is talking about. Ever line is meticulously chosen and it gets better the more times you watch it. Fight Club's my favorite movie.
  65. ChristosM
    Dec 21, 2009
    This is the kind of cinematic event that only happens rarely,creating the next generation of film lovers.It first happend with Antonioni's L'Avventura back in the 60's.Then Scorsese's Taxi Driver was declared a masterpiece by the youth of the 70's only to be called a fascist invention by Antonioni fans.One decade later,David Lynch's Blue Velvet was adored by This is the kind of cinematic event that only happens rarely,creating the next generation of film lovers.It first happend with Antonioni's L'Avventura back in the 60's.Then Scorsese's Taxi Driver was declared a masterpiece by the youth of the 70's only to be called a fascist invention by Antonioni fans.One decade later,David Lynch's Blue Velvet was adored by the generation of the 80's while at the same time enraged Scorsese's following.That Lynch-Generation,who were dancing ecstaticly at the Croissete Boulevard when Lynch finally recieved his Palme D'Or,called David Fincher a fascist.However those born between 1985 and 1990 found their represantation in the cinematic pantheon with this film.Today Fight Club is ten years old and there's someone out there making a film to express my generation,the one of the 1990-1995,humiliate Fincher and once again create conflict.This is the everlasting battle of Old Vs New and it will never stop propably because Art needs it.One thing is for sure.Fight Club certainly deserves a position in the list of the most significant movies ever created! Expand
  66. LukeD.
    Oct 27, 2009
    Amazing, Fight Club is just one big intense ride that will take you to places that will blow your mind and dustrub you from start to finish.
  67. NormR.
    Feb 18, 2009
    A perfect quirky movie. Great twists and great plot. And funny. But for me, the underlying message is the problem of the modern male whose masculinity is constantly under siege which in one scene or more scenes this takes a liiteral bent.
  68. LukeC
    Mar 29, 2009
    Could not have been done any better. One of the few movies that you will never get tired of watching. Classic.
  69. Jesse
    Feb 16, 2002
    If it weren't for "American Beauty," this would've been the best film of 1999.
  70. EricW.
    Feb 11, 2003
    Critics that say this movie is terrible are usually too ignorant to look past the violece to get a clear picture at what the director/writer are truly refering to in the meaning of the story. The people who praise it do so because it hits a nerve,this movie is saying what everyone feels but is afraid to avoid by standing out. This movie accurately represents the true life scitzophrenia Critics that say this movie is terrible are usually too ignorant to look past the violece to get a clear picture at what the director/writer are truly refering to in the meaning of the story. The people who praise it do so because it hits a nerve,this movie is saying what everyone feels but is afraid to avoid by standing out. This movie accurately represents the true life scitzophrenia that every male goes though in their lifetime, they must be the male the world tells them to be but they still want to be a tender nurturing loveable person, and these two do not mix as the movie so viberantly shows. Great movie, my absolute favorite movie of all time, the great under-rated and "before its time" movie. Its sad that Fight Club will not recive he praise it deserves for a long time. Expand
  71. LukeW.
    Dec 8, 2004
    Its hard to tell which makes the film greater, the perfect dynamics between the narrator and Tyler Durden or the knock-em-dead message that's expressed so incredibly well. My only regreat is that I cant give this film a higher rating.
    Aug 11, 2004
    One of the best films i ever saw, but it still doesn't do justice to the book - READ IT!
  73. elizabethr.
    Nov 8, 2005
    I adore this movie. it is so honest and so in-your-face that it is impossible to ignore. pitt as tyler and norton as the narrator are amazing. ive had the movie memorized since the first time i saw it and ive written many papers on it for my media studies major. the psychoanalytic qualities in this movie are all over the place. long comment short... if you dont like this movie then there I adore this movie. it is so honest and so in-your-face that it is impossible to ignore. pitt as tyler and norton as the narrator are amazing. ive had the movie memorized since the first time i saw it and ive written many papers on it for my media studies major. the psychoanalytic qualities in this movie are all over the place. long comment short... if you dont like this movie then there is something seriously and terribly wrong with you. Expand
  74. TerranceP.
    Dec 27, 2005
    One of the most intriguiging and mind blowing cinematic experiences that does not dim everytime you watch it. Fight Club is one of the rarities in today's filming industry that deserves a 10.
  75. AvivK.
    May 22, 2005
    As close to perfect as anything can get. Only gets better from the begining and all the way until the best movie ending of all time.
  76. JasonA.
    Feb 15, 2006
    I've watched this movie more than any other movie and it never gets old. The number of quoteable lines in this film is remarkable. I once sat down with a pen and a notebook and wrote every line I found interesting, witty, ect... I filled 5 pgs front and back. If you enjoyed the movie then all I can say is READ THE BOOK! Chuck Palahniuk's novel puts this amazing movie to shame.
  77. JohnE.
    Apr 18, 2006
    One of the best movies of all time.
  78. SteveH.
    Apr 19, 2006
    This is easily one of the greatest movies of all time. It grabs you by the shirt and has your attention the whole movie. The plot is so unbelievable that your head will be spinning until the final twist. After I saw this movie I couldn't help compare it to every other movie I ever saw. Trust me after you see fight club it will totally raises your standards of what a movie must have This is easily one of the greatest movies of all time. It grabs you by the shirt and has your attention the whole movie. The plot is so unbelievable that your head will be spinning until the final twist. After I saw this movie I couldn't help compare it to every other movie I ever saw. Trust me after you see fight club it will totally raises your standards of what a movie must have in order for you to enjoy it. It truly is astronomical how well thought out this entire film was. Expand
  79. AlexF.
    Dec 14, 2007
    An exquisitely crafted thrill ride with heavy philosophical tones.
  80. terrak.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Great movie.
  81. GiselleZ
    Oct 27, 2007
    The movie was so good! I had never read the book, so the ending was a shock to me! I will definitely buy the movie and the book!
  82. TylerDurden
    Oct 31, 2007
    This film defines the generation gap between Baby Boomers and Generation X more than any other film. Virtually every Baby Boomer I know who has even seen this film hates it, and every Gen Xer I know thinks it is one of the greatest films of all time. Baby Boomers lost their determination to change the world for the better and to lead more rewarding, fulfilling lives by giving up This film defines the generation gap between Baby Boomers and Generation X more than any other film. Virtually every Baby Boomer I know who has even seen this film hates it, and every Gen Xer I know thinks it is one of the greatest films of all time. Baby Boomers lost their determination to change the world for the better and to lead more rewarding, fulfilling lives by giving up materialistic desires. They became the Me generation who bought into all the crap that Madison Avenue had to sell them. Hopefully Gen X does not follow this path, but unfortunately I think the slide from youthful idealism into elder complacence is probably a universal thing that affects every generation eventually. What a true gift it would be to be able to shake off the artificial needs instilled in us by a consumer society and be happy to just exist in the world. Expand
  83. chads
    Jul 14, 2007
    How can the Los Angeles Times and Entertainment Weekly be so horribly wrong in their judgment about this movie. I will admit that i disliked Fight Club after watching it the first time, but i could at least appreciate it for its criticism on the life of a gray collar worker. However, the second time i watched the movie i was able to pay close attention and really noticed how great of a How can the Los Angeles Times and Entertainment Weekly be so horribly wrong in their judgment about this movie. I will admit that i disliked Fight Club after watching it the first time, but i could at least appreciate it for its criticism on the life of a gray collar worker. However, the second time i watched the movie i was able to pay close attention and really noticed how great of a movie it truly is. This is a must own, and must see for everyone. This is your life and its ending one minute at a time. Watch Fight Club before it ends. Expand
  84. ManuG.
    Jul 17, 2007
    One of the great representations of advaitic philosophy. A lot of reading-between-the-lines required, though. In time, a clear picture of the message emerges, and the whole experience becomes extremely rewarding.
  85. BloodRusher
    Dec 22, 2008
    Its not a good movie, its not one of the best, its a f*cking perfect movie!
  86. ChrisS.
    Mar 24, 2008
    It's a long shot to say this is the greatest movie ever made, but the argument can be made by anyone who sees it and truly gets it. I've never written a review for any film before, but even 9 years after its release, Fight Club has earned it. Violent, yes, of course. It's called Fight Club. But strangely enough, that's a misleading title. It's the most ambiguous It's a long shot to say this is the greatest movie ever made, but the argument can be made by anyone who sees it and truly gets it. I've never written a review for any film before, but even 9 years after its release, Fight Club has earned it. Violent, yes, of course. It's called Fight Club. But strangely enough, that's a misleading title. It's the most ambiguous fable ever, in that the moral is whatever you make it out to be. This movie solidified Edward Norton to me as a top-tier actor capable of sheer brilliance, and Brad Pitt is amazing as well, cool and scary and ridiculously funny with his red leather jacket. Which brings me to my next point, if you've heard the word "comedy" used in relation to Fight Club, you heard correctly. It points out the hilarious nature of society's individuals to try desperately to reach some form of perfection, but of course we know this is impossible. Almost every motif you could think of in a great satirical tale is present in Fight Club. The one I never hear people mention is addiction. (Society Expand
  87. StevenV.
    Sep 23, 2009
    Fight Club is an astonishingly original idea. Im glad the movie did the book justice. Its obviously one of those movies where if you don't get it, you don't get it. I've heard too many people asking why they fought each other. Those people obviously missed the point. These people probably prefer lighter fair like Bio Dome.
  88. JustinK.
    Dec 23, 2003
    My favorite movie of all time.
  89. AdamR.
    Nov 28, 2004
    If movies could come alive this one would be the heavyweight champ. Beats everything in cinema into submission.
  90. Dan
    Dec 21, 2008
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not about the fighting as much as you might think, although there is a good deal of it. Great acting, I absolutely loved Ed Norton, and Pitt is a good compliment to him.
  91. JordanH.
    Nov 16, 2009
    This movie was about far more than fighting and causing chaos. it was also about how people can't live up to their own standards and how is this not a deep film? i guess if you are a stoner all you would think was hey cool fighting but if you have half a brain youll look into the deeper meaning.
  92. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm about to break the first and second rules of Fight Club, because I have to talk about this amazing film. At first glance, this may seem like a simple testostorone based film that takes place within an actual fight club. Look further, for this is so much more. It is a satire on modern life, using things like schizophrenia & terrorism to illustrate this. Edward Nortons nameless narrator character meets two people who change his life: Tyler Durden (played by Brad Pitt) and Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter) With Tyler, the narrator creates a fight club, in which people who are stressed out and pissed off come to unload steam by beating the crap out of each other. It does make sense, by unloading your stress onto another person, concentrating it into every blow, you feel better about your day. The fight club then turns into something else entirely, an anarchic group whom commit acts of vandalism with cheer and smiles on their faces. Tylers actions may be anarchic, but they make sense. He believes everything has become so complicated with us wanting things we do not need, so sets out to destroy these things, like Starbucks. Each of the actors play their role convincingly. Edward Nortons insomniac narrator is a brilliant creation, along with the bat **** insane Tyler Durden. I gotta talk about the twist, that Tyler is actually another personality of the narrator. Once you know about this twist, watch the film a second time. You will see it make sense, and see the twist being sown earlier on into the story little by little. It is gritty also. For an example, see Edward Norton beating into Jared Letos face. Its so bloody. And when you see Tyler throwing Edward down the stairs, you know its actually Edward Norton throwing himself down the stairs, and thats a little creepy. The humour as well, Tylers earlier jobs, cutting porn into kids films and pissing in soup, is hilarious. Also, fight club members trying to start fights. They even cut a porn shot into the end of the film How can you not love this film? The acting, the writing, the direction, the twist, the storyline, its all brilliant. Quite bloody, but psychologically awesome. If you haven't seen it, you must! Expand
  93. Mar 19, 2015
    Fight Club is multi-faceted movie about a man who is deeply unsatisfied with his life in the modern age, even with all the trappings of success that much of our society is based on, and decides to go off the beaten path to find his own personal satisfaction. From that point on the movie spirals out of control and into the abyss. This is a good thing.

The movie holds many meanings and

The movie holds many meanings and shows the characters in favorable and unfavorable ways. It does not try to cast things in a typical good and evil view point, nor does it say whether the choices the protagonist and the rest of the cast make are sound ones. One of the things it does do is look into the nature of our past, viewing the structure of our society and analyzing why we do what we do to live. It isn't until the narrator (Edward Norton) begins to destroy himself that he finally comes to realize what matters to him. That is when he meets two important characters, Marla Singer and Tyler Durden. It is during this time that the narrator escapes from his normal life by hosting with Tyler an underground fight club that evolved from the two just fighting outside of a local bar.

Taking in Tyler's view on life, which is somewhat refreshing and scary at the same time, they form a close bond strongly resembling a married couple. The two do everything together and the narrator begins to emulate Tyler more and more, all the while the fight club grows stronger and stronger until it has become this cult-like phenomenon with Tyler and the narrator as leaders making rules for conducting fight club.

Anarchy and non-conformity is their message, which I believe is meant to underscore the irony of fight club and their non-conformist, fight the man attitude. As the group evolves into something more dangerous, this irony becomes more apparent in the way those who once questioned the established authority, now blindly follow their "non-conformist" new group.

Its been a little over a decade since Fight Club "enlightened" me, but it still gives me the same conflicting feelings about its message and the nature of humanity in general. There are those who would take it at its face value and see nothing but frustrated, grown men beating each other senselessly, and that's a shame because there is definitely much more going on then that. David Fincher has crafted an excellent movie: it's disgustingly stylish in its execution...almost too much, if that's possible. The sound track, done by the Dust Brothers burrowed it's way into my brain and never left. The movie would not be the same without it.

As far as the actors performances, Ed Norton and Brad Pitt both have a strong rapport and the scenes come off naturally, while Helena Bonham Carter's Marla is hauntingly tragic, and filled with a desperate, but subtle sadness to her.

At the time of the original screening this movie polarized people into the two camps of love or hate, due to it's ability to offended or amaze, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Too often are movies eager to please. This one strives to offend and cause questions...and I love it for that.
  94. Jan 1, 2011
    Ed Norton and Brad Pitt bring the amazing novel to life in what I personally consider one of the greatest movies ever made. The directing, acting, and visual appearance of this film is spectacular.
  95. Jan 11, 2011
    this is one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and still be in awe. I love this movie, very brutal yet entertaining. I read that he author of the book, (Chuck Palahniuk) has said he likes this version better than his book Fight Club from which the movie is based, if that's not a good enough review for you then I don't know what is.
  96. Mar 8, 2012
    Great film; negative reviews here often reflect a sloppy or down-right non-existent understanding of the movie. Case in point: "..spend two hours wondering why the characters would rather punch each other than do something useful with their time and energy." - Alexander G. Now obviously, anyone who was actually attentive to the movie knows that they DID do something useful, and they foughtGreat film; negative reviews here often reflect a sloppy or down-right non-existent understanding of the movie. Case in point: "..spend two hours wondering why the characters would rather punch each other than do something useful with their time and energy." - Alexander G. Now obviously, anyone who was actually attentive to the movie knows that they DID do something useful, and they fought for a reason. Expand
  97. Feb 13, 2014
    I had to write about this movie. It's just a masterpiece. Anyone shouting about violence or fights or bad language, which are only a tiny part of it, are just people who can't understand the movie and its cleverness, its message, its point of view on life, the wonderful acting, photography, music. Yes, actually you must have some intellect to understand what's behind the surface and theI had to write about this movie. It's just a masterpiece. Anyone shouting about violence or fights or bad language, which are only a tiny part of it, are just people who can't understand the movie and its cleverness, its message, its point of view on life, the wonderful acting, photography, music. Yes, actually you must have some intellect to understand what's behind the surface and the great effort David Fincher put in it. Expand
  98. Mar 23, 2011
    One of the best movies in history. It goes deep into the animal side of the male psyche while providing twists and turns. With realistic fight scenes, memorable quotes and hilarious content, Fight Club is a true treasure.
  99. Apr 28, 2011
    This has to be one of the greatest films of all time. Flawlessy executed and with a deep meaning, Fight Club rightly deserves it's status as a cult classic.
  100. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wrote my final paper for film class on this movie and, if anything, feel more confident in it's abilities than before I thoroughly analyzed it. David Fincher does some ground-breaking work in this movie and has practically reinvented the neo-noir movement.

Some claim that the acting is flat and, while I'm inclined to agree, I also feel that this is entirely intentional. The film is supposed to feel real, not another Hollywood, over-dramatized fluff piece. Others see this as a shallow, testosterone and violence driven script but they couldn't be any further from the truth. The story is about a man struggling to fit in with boring, modern-day society. He can't so he creates an alter-ego that is exactly who he wants to be while destroying himself in the process.

Despite terrific comic acting...and an atomic first hour, Fight Club makes a few wrong turns and ends up lost itself.
  2. This exercise in mainstream masochism, macho posturing, and designer-grunge fascism is borderline ridiculous. But it also happens to be David Fincher's richest movie.
    But the second act is pandering and the third is trickery, and whatever Fincher thinks the message is, that's not what most audience members will get.