6.2

1. SophieB
    Sep 22, 2007
    This movie is definitely not as bad as I previously had heard. Amazing, stunning state-of-the art animation and a definitely enjoyable film, but there are too many character and plot cliches and some of the voice acting is subpar. A decent film, and one I'd recommend to watch just to see how REALLY good the graphics are, but not groundbreaking in plot or character development.
  2. Feb 2, 2012
    Ok, I know most every new FF game is done in a universe different than the previous release.
    but hey! only a FF fan could catch that glimpse.
    The only "Final Fantasy" stuff that this movie has is its name... nothing else.
    Mar 9, 2005
    This has absolutly nothing to do with Final Fantasy, the only reason they called it FF is casue they knew FF was a big franchise and they thought they could make some money out of it. i gave it 4 points because of the graphics and the secret Michal Jackson Thriller spoof.
  4. DanB.
    Jul 22, 2001
    Visually stunning. Mentally numbing. One of the most beautiful films ever. One of the most derivative plots in all of SciFi. Why not just put "Aliens" in the title?
  5. KrisN.
    Aug 27, 2001
    Great computer animation, but the story was a little disappointing! But still worth watching.
  6. Riren
    Feb 3, 2007
    You can't knock its beautiful computer graphics. Shrek, Incredibles and Monster House have nothing on this movie's realistic designs and textures. Unfortunately all that computer power went into a generic science fiction plot. Fans of the videogame series will be disappointed to see this film has very little in common with any plot from the games, nor does its world fit with the You can't knock its beautiful computer graphics. Shrek, Incredibles and Monster House have nothing on this movie's realistic designs and textures. Unfortunately all that computer power went into a generic science fiction plot. Fans of the videogame series will be disappointed to see this film has very little in common with any plot from the games, nor does its world fit with the Final Fantasy cosmos. The voice acting is fine, if hammy, though there isn't much in the script for them to work off of. Expand
  7. ChrisR.
    Jul 12, 2001
    A disturbingly affectless film, though not due to the use of synthespians. What this film lacked was a professional director of photography and a good editor. Supposed action sequences are lazily framed and poorly edited; it is incapable of evoking an emotional response. I really, really wanted to like this film, but it got me to the point where I just didn't care anymore.
  8. MikeN.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Visually stunning and ground-breaking, but as far as story-telling ability - quite dull. It's more like watching a product demo than a movie. Voice acting and writing was pretty weak, story was clichéd and boring, and the ending was anti-climatic (FFVII anyone?). Could have been so much better...
  9. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I was unsure of this film since I had never played the game on Playstation. However, when viewing The Spirits Within, it doesn?t matter whether you?ve played the game or never heard of it, the film is a big heap of mumbo-jumbo and it has nothing to do with the game. I never thought I would have to say this about a movie, but the plot is in desperate need of being simpler. Sure, I like a I was unsure of this film since I had never played the game on Playstation. However, when viewing The Spirits Within, it doesn?t matter whether you?ve played the game or never heard of it, the film is a big heap of mumbo-jumbo and it has nothing to do with the game. I never thought I would have to say this about a movie, but the plot is in desperate need of being simpler. Sure, I like a good complex plot that makes you think after viewing. With Final Fantasy the plot is just so hard to understand that you?ll need to force a scientist to come with you. It doesn?t leave you thinking after viewing, and if it did, your head would probably burst thinking about all the options the plot had. I didn?t care about the characters, the romance was cheese on a huge stick and I was frankly bored through most of the movie. Okay, I?ll admit like everyone else that I thought the computer generated people and sets were pretty amazing, most of the action scenes were entertaining (except the final reel ? sheesh, what when on there?) and the character Aki was very believable, determined and voiced well by Ming-Na. This movie just didn?t please me in the rest of the areas in filmmaking unfortunately. In this review, I?ll go out on saying a similar thing to what I said at the start. The Spirits Within is a big disappointment not only for people who?ve never played the game, but also for people who have. When I came out of the cinema, I heard loud and clear ?That movie was ****ing horrible. The game was so much better.? There goes proof: fans and non-fans of the game are most likely to be upset by the films utter silliness. Collapse
  10. Apr 18, 2016
    Once again another example of great video game franchises turning to be great movie franchises, but eventually fails to hit the bargain bag at any cost.
  11. Jul 14, 2016
    Final Fantasy: Spirits Within felt as if someone was playing a video game. Each scene was like another cut-scene you would experience when you complete a level, which can cause confusion very often. The animation was terrific, but it lacked facial expression each character was supposed to express at key moments. The voice acting felt careless and and defective, which really bothered meFinal Fantasy: Spirits Within felt as if someone was playing a video game. Each scene was like another cut-scene you would experience when you complete a level, which can cause confusion very often. The animation was terrific, but it lacked facial expression each character was supposed to express at key moments. The voice acting felt careless and and defective, which really bothered me watching this film because it altered the enjoyment I was so much expecting. It also had a weak plot that felt very unoriginal and dull. I don't know too much about the Final Fantasy video games, but I do know that the film was very disappointing. Expand

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    The result is a feast for the eyes but frequently a famine for the frontal lobes, a movie of towering imagination and middling rewards.
    The movie exists only as a showcase for the animation technology known as hyperReal, a photo-realistic simulation of space, figure and movement that hopes to one day erase the line between animation and live action once and for all.
  3. The film's plot gets so convoluted no nongamer older than 14 will be able to follow it all.