Columbia Pictures | Release Date: July 11, 2001
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 121 Ratings
Watch Now
DavidTJun 16, 2008
When this movie came out there were a lot of people I knew that felt that because it was SquareSoft making it, it should have have a deep plot. Those that came in expecting a fairy tail were disappointed, but the only way for them to get When this movie came out there were a lot of people I knew that felt that because it was SquareSoft making it, it should have have a deep plot. Those that came in expecting a fairy tail were disappointed, but the only way for them to get such depth is with a series of films. I believe for a single film it had a believable environment, likable characters, goals that are usually traditional in SQ games, and a good antagonist. I personally feel they did a good job seeing as they are a game company. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
ThomasNJul 27, 2008
This movie has a visual appeal, rarely seen in movies and a voice acting, i have never seen achieved in 3d animation before, the characters were more alive than i have ever seen before. true, the story was kinda weird but then again, i have This movie has a visual appeal, rarely seen in movies and a voice acting, i have never seen achieved in 3d animation before, the characters were more alive than i have ever seen before. true, the story was kinda weird but then again, i have seen worse story in many other movies. Definitely worth a watch. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AlienSpaceBatsJul 24, 2011
Stuck between a rock and a hard place; Final Fantasy neither resembles the games of its namesake nor provides solid narrative to quiet the harshest critic. Both camps hate the film for what it isn't; it isn't related to the games at all andStuck between a rock and a hard place; Final Fantasy neither resembles the games of its namesake nor provides solid narrative to quiet the harshest critic. Both camps hate the film for what it isn't; it isn't related to the games at all and it isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey. As far as visuals go, The Spirits Within looks amazing ten years after its original release, which is not to say it's overbalanced with style over substance ... well, it is, really. This came out when I was studying for a computer animation degree and I will always love it (even if most of it is motion captured) because it blew my eyes out of its sockets. The story is standard Science Fiction fare that often breaks down into shoot 'em up action but underneath is something deeper that's there if you decide look for it. Expand
Rox22Sep 15, 2013
The greatest criticism I will have to this movie is its name. Yes it was made by Squaresoft, but it is Final Fantasy in name only. It offers and deliver very little to give it any connection to the franchise. A few small nods here and there,The greatest criticism I will have to this movie is its name. Yes it was made by Squaresoft, but it is Final Fantasy in name only. It offers and deliver very little to give it any connection to the franchise. A few small nods here and there, but nothing substantial enough to make the connection. This is likely why allot of fans really raged against the movie. I didn't rage, I was just a little disappointed.

That aside as a movie, on its own forgetting the name, it is beautiful. Considering the animation was done in 2001 it was utterly breathtaking and mind blowing. Character are great and the voice acting absolutely fantastic. Story was a little limp though. I felt there was too little focus on the main plot and more on the main characters. This constant sidetracking from the main plot really get a little boring and does ruin the pacing. Making the movie a little boring at times. But when the action kicks in, it really kicks in! In fact it kicks in far to quickly and is over before you know it.

Overall:
The Spirits Within (I ignore the FF part) is a decent enough movie that perhaps could have been longer, simply to add in more relevant plot points and perhaps cut down on the character development a little.

A great movie that you will love the first time you watch it, but can be a bit dull as a rerun.
MatthewGNov 11, 2008
Should of done very well, and could of change how we did film if it had done well. Very easy my favorites
1 of 3 users found this helpful
JoannaD.Oct 30, 2005
This movie was unpredictable in that it was not very "Final Fantasy" and it did not have the feel that the video games have. Extremely contrare to Advent Children, but just as awesome in its own way.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
AMovieCriticJan 23, 2007
It was a pretty entertaining, definitely very cool looking sci-fi futuristic adventure that's fun, and always interesting...yet forgettable the moment you turn the movie off. The characters just don't leave much of an impact and It was a pretty entertaining, definitely very cool looking sci-fi futuristic adventure that's fun, and always interesting...yet forgettable the moment you turn the movie off. The characters just don't leave much of an impact and the plot was actually not nearly as impressive as the plot featured in most FF games. That said, it's a pretty good movie that's DEFINITELY not great...but pretty good. I liked Dr. Sid, and the little homage to FF7 at the end was pretty cool, but ...I don't know. Not worth a purchase but maybe at least a rental. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
woodsFeb 22, 2014
i think this film failed all because of one thing....the name as a FF fan i saw this and thought it was terrible but a few weeks ago i found it on DVD for a very cheap price so i bought it and then i watched as if it wasn't part of thei think this film failed all because of one thing....the name as a FF fan i saw this and thought it was terrible but a few weeks ago i found it on DVD for a very cheap price so i bought it and then i watched as if it wasn't part of the franchise and it was an fairly enjoyable sci-fi film not the best but it wasn't terrible, the voice acting was great, the animation was brilliant for a 2001 film but the story was a bit lacking and left me with a few questions but its worth a watch by any animated movie fan even if you view it just as a technical milestone Expand
Noin007Jan 4, 2015
A very solid generic sci-fi movie. I really feel like the one MASSIVE problem this movie has is the Final Fantasy title. Once you slap Final Fantasy onto something there are certain expectations and this doesn't fit.
This movie is closer to
This movie is closer to something like Blade Runner than it is to Final Fantasy. If it had just been "The Sprits Within" I don't think it would get even 1/2 the hate it does.
GamecubeLoverAug 3, 2016
The 3rd best video game movie yet. First is sonic ova. Second is wreck it ralph and this is third. But I do wish the movie is better and gets a better sequel.