8.1

1. Feb 2, 2013
    A heart-warming and charming film about the story behind the inspiration for Peter Pan, and on the value of tenaciously being true to yourself, enjoying the authentic relationships that that renders, and making this life worth living for the brief time that we have it. I think it tactfully teaches that marriage is to be taken seriously before one enters into the contract, and I think thatA heart-warming and charming film about the story behind the inspiration for Peter Pan, and on the value of tenaciously being true to yourself, enjoying the authentic relationships that that renders, and making this life worth living for the brief time that we have it. I think it tactfully teaches that marriage is to be taken seriously before one enters into the contract, and I think that that is an important message for our modern world. While the movie is child appropriate it isn’t especially child friendly, unless they are precocious I think that they may very well bore of it; the movie is really more for adults. If the kids are interested however they are certainly welcome. I have no complaints about this film. Dramas aren’t my first preference when it comes to entertainment, but if you like dramas I have to imagine you will love Finding Neverland. Clean nostalgia evoking thought provoking heartfelt fun. Expand
  2. MarcR.
    Oct 2, 2006
    I cried!
  3. ronaldm.
    May 6, 2005
    Very special movie.
  4. AlexA.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This movie was very well done, Exceptional. great dialogue and plot and never once felt dull or tired. A very refreshing movie, in particular Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.
  5. Jay&RogerM.
    Jan 8, 2005
    We were moved by the way the director conveyed the prevalence and impact of death on the lives of children in the early 20th century and how Barrie helped them handle tragedy through creating a fantasy world. The terror of TB (consumption) was real in England and the US and certainly devastated families. The performances were understated for a change and none of the ensemble drew We were moved by the way the director conveyed the prevalence and impact of death on the lives of children in the early 20th century and how Barrie helped them handle tragedy through creating a fantasy world. The terror of TB (consumption) was real in England and the US and certainly devastated families. The performances were understated for a change and none of the ensemble drew attention to themselves. The way social control and scandal affected lives esp. simple souls like Barrie was handled without preaching. Depp only increases in our admiration each time we see him. Expand
  6. Ricardoc
    Feb 13, 2005
    It is a touching movie, sad but full of hope. The young Freddie Highmore as Peter Pan is marvelous!
  7. shamimaa.
    Mar 10, 2005
    Trully inspired- depp and the rest of the cast give outstanding performances - remarkable story line - making every1 realise there lies a child within and theres many ways one can bring happiness to the lives of others.
  8. MelT.
    Dec 4, 2004
    I loved this movie...It makes you love all of the peter pans as a whole that much more. Johny Depp was so adorable and Kate was so pretty....and the boys were so cute *little boys should never go to bed beaause they wake up a day older* that line was so cute!!!
  9. LauraH.
    Jan 15, 2005
    This movie is deeply touching. It is almost felt rather than analyzed. The acting of Johhny Depp and the boy who played Peter is profound. Johnny totally captivates the gentle, playful spirit of a man who is still very much a boy at heart. He is able to convey with a look, the very depths of his feelings, both joyful and sorrowful. All that he is lingers behind those deep dark sensitive This movie is deeply touching. It is almost felt rather than analyzed. The acting of Johhny Depp and the boy who played Peter is profound. Johnny totally captivates the gentle, playful spirit of a man who is still very much a boy at heart. He is able to convey with a look, the very depths of his feelings, both joyful and sorrowful. All that he is lingers behind those deep dark sensitive eyes. It is good to be reminded that we did not arrive on this earth wearing adult faces and weary stares. We were meant for so much more! To laugh and love and live for whatever amount of time we are given. We must not hold back if we are to find the satisfaction that life holds. Expand
  10. ClintM.
    Jan 18, 2005
    If I had to describe the movie in one word it would be "touching". I was truly touched by all of the performances, by the story, the music, the imagery; everything! I don't know what it is about Kate Winslet but more than once now she's broken my heart with her truly amamzing and real performances. She's an actress worth every penny she's paid. Johnny Depp brings such If I had to describe the movie in one word it would be "touching". I was truly touched by all of the performances, by the story, the music, the imagery; everything! I don't know what it is about Kate Winslet but more than once now she's broken my heart with her truly amamzing and real performances. She's an actress worth every penny she's paid. Johnny Depp brings such heart to the movie that you can't help but cheer him on in his pursuit of magic and imagination, even with everyone else seems to be against him. And then there's those big blue eyes, welled up with tears, that CRUSHED me! Freddie Highmore as young Peter brings such reality to his role. You know that this is exactly how you would have felt under such hard and confusing circumstances when you were his age. He will bring tears to your eyes and the movie will leave you thankful for good actors! Expand
  11. DebC.
    Jan 27, 2005
    I have seen this movie three times so far and can't wait for the DVD to come out. Johnny Depp is captivating in this role and conveys more with his eyes and facial expressions than a thousand words could. Whenever I have a bad day, I want to see this movie. It puts me back in touch with my inner child.
  12. mickt
    Jan 28, 2005
    Brilliant, in a word. acting and directing top notch. note: barrie was much more childlike than depicted in the movie.
  13. SteveP.
    Jan 3, 2005
    A beautifully filmed and very inovative movie!
  14. DanaG
    Jan 9, 2005
    Excellent movie. I wanted to take all of the little boys home with me, they were so adorable with those cute accents. Johnny Depp was great and Kate Winslet was also, surprisingly. It was a great story although it was semi-upsetting. Any movie that makes me cry is worth a good review.
  15. JacobW.
    Jan 9, 2005
    A great movie for those who still believe in the power of art. Those disliking this movie either lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate the literary process or have constructed thick walls to protect themselves from piercing emotions. This movie gives you a taste of life's mystical balance between reality and fantasy without forcing it upon you. Individuals who disliked this A great movie for those who still believe in the power of art. Those disliking this movie either lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate the literary process or have constructed thick walls to protect themselves from piercing emotions. This movie gives you a taste of life's mystical balance between reality and fantasy without forcing it upon you. Individuals who disliked this movie should, for their own benefit, take a left at the movie theatre and see the next mindless computer-generated action adventure starring the Rock. For us others, see this movie and let yourself be taken to Neverland. Expand
  16. Thatcriticguy
    Mar 23, 2005
    A beautiful film of where the imagination takes you with outstanding performances and a strong emotional feeling that will make you cry (only if "Titanic" made you cry).
  17. RobertB.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Wonderful and charming. Nothing to fancy. Not designed for all the attention defecit head cases out there. All the characters were sound. The acting was superb. Once again, nothing overly dynamic. Just efficient performances. All of it led to a suprisingly emotional finish.
  18. ChelA.
    May 26, 2005
    Extraordinary and heartbreak story ! Johnny Depp does a really fabulous acting and Freddie Highmore merits to be nominated for best supporting actor at the Oscars insted of Alan Alda from The Aviator. The academy award winning score is extraordinary. everything was so well made and sentimental that I almost cried. I only gave it 9 because of a part kind of Boring. (The first discussion of Extraordinary and heartbreak story ! Johnny Depp does a really fabulous acting and Freddie Highmore merits to be nominated for best supporting actor at the Oscars insted of Alan Alda from The Aviator. The academy award winning score is extraordinary. everything was so well made and sentimental that I almost cried. I only gave it 9 because of a part kind of Boring. (The first discussion of J. M. Barrie and her wife). If you didn't saw it, go rent it at Blockbuster or Netflix. Expand
  19. TerryG.
    Nov 13, 2004
    This film is magical. The fantasy elements were wonderfully done and Johnny Depp shines as the original 'boy who never grew up'.
  20. CameronS.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Great movie! Very well Acted and done! the movie was very magical, touching and perfect! ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF THE YEAR!. My LIST for Best movies so far: The Incredibles, Finding Neverland, Ray, THe Passion, Collateral, the Polar Express.
  21. StevieG
    Nov 27, 2004
    I am a movie snob. I truly enjoyed this film. It has a magical quality that makes it transcend the genre. Johnny Depp does a great job, as does the rest of the cast. I truly loved this film. Those of you who have abandoned the child within your soul will not get this movie. If you are in that category, avoid the film. If you still have a child in your soul, you will love and embrace this I am a movie snob. I truly enjoyed this film. It has a magical quality that makes it transcend the genre. Johnny Depp does a great job, as does the rest of the cast. I truly loved this film. Those of you who have abandoned the child within your soul will not get this movie. If you are in that category, avoid the film. If you still have a child in your soul, you will love and embrace this special film. peace steviegjd Expand
  22. BitBurn
    Dec 1, 2004
    Magical, Beautiful...Heart-felt!!
  23. Angela
    Dec 2, 2004
    This movie made me believe in neverland.
  24. PatG.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Loved this movie. I want to go again and again.
  25. AalexW
    Jan 17, 2005
    Finding Neverland is, without doubt, the best movie of the year. After seeing Pirates of the Caribbean, I was compelled that Johnny Depp was a talented, incredibley handsome actor. After seeing Finding Neverland, there was no doubt in my mind that he was perfect. He caught the perfect essence of J.M. Barrie in this movie, as does Kate Winslet of her character. The directing and writing of Finding Neverland is, without doubt, the best movie of the year. After seeing Pirates of the Caribbean, I was compelled that Johnny Depp was a talented, incredibley handsome actor. After seeing Finding Neverland, there was no doubt in my mind that he was perfect. He caught the perfect essence of J.M. Barrie in this movie, as does Kate Winslet of her character. The directing and writing of this movie was immpecible. They left in just enough information to give you an outline of his life, but not so much as to ruin the charm of this story. Although everbody was wonderful, I still feel Johnny Depp, as he does with every movie, made this film truly wonderful. He was the Neverland of this movie. Expand
  26. JoD.
    Jan 2, 2005
    As always, Johnny Depp gives an amazing performance -- one reviewer (can't remember from where) put it perfectly -- with just one look or glance, he can convey an entire encyclopedia of emotions. On top of that, a talented cast, superb writing, authentic costuming and beautiful cinematography - make this an outstanding movie experience.
  27. KaitlynC.
    Jan 20, 2005
    This movie what fantastic.... Johnny Depp's Performance is Oscar worthy and more... Freddie Highmore's acting is amazing and is also oscar worthy.. Kate Winslet's performance was convincing and again amazing and oscar worthy.... Dustin Hoffman's performance was amazing and was funny. And finally Julie Christie's performance.... i have one word, Excellent... The This movie what fantastic.... Johnny Depp's Performance is Oscar worthy and more... Freddie Highmore's acting is amazing and is also oscar worthy.. Kate Winslet's performance was convincing and again amazing and oscar worthy.... Dustin Hoffman's performance was amazing and was funny. And finally Julie Christie's performance.... i have one word, Excellent... The talents of this cast were amazing and and the movie was astonishing..... i have seen it 3 times and i will probably go see it again. Expand
  28. DavidD.
    Jan 23, 2005
    Excellent! All the acting roles were convincing and first rate, from Johnny Depp & Kate Winslet right on through the four boys. Full price ticket for this one - absolutely.
  29. NoraB.
    Jan 9, 2005
    This movie was beautiful. Although I cried, it was more touching than sad. Depp was amazing, the depths he conveys in his character was wonderful. I'm not a big Kate Winslet fan (ever since Titanic...) but she was wonderful as well. And the kids were so adorable! It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
  30. KarenW.
    Feb 10, 2005
    The best movie of the year, by far. Magical visuals, an inspiring story and depth of acting by Depp & Highmore in particular.
  31. SueM
    Feb 13, 2005
    Not a Depp fan until now. He was just great...honest, low-key, emotional without being overy sentimental, not to mention easy on the eyes. Winslet and Freddie Highmore were also spot-on. A truly moving story and beautiful visuals. Definitely a film for all ages.
  32. IslandSix
    Feb 25, 2005
    a litmus test for idealistic and romantic hearts.
  33. AnnieC
    Feb 6, 2005
    Best movie ever!!!! Johnny Depp is grest, it's right up there with the best ones!!!!
  34. TheLibertine
    Mar 18, 2005
    Best movie of the year just ahead of Million Dollar Baby. Should have won Best Picture at the Oscars. Hang on,no Eternal Sunshine should have. . . this is brilliant though.
  35. ritaw.
    Mar 19, 2005
    Excellentos mentos.
  36. Angie
    Mar 25, 2005
    Truly inspirational. Two words: BUY IT.
  37. SusanM.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Sweet, charming, funny, and touching. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.
  38. FarrelB.
    Apr 23, 2005
    I generally do not like "fantasy" movies or science fiction. My wife rented the DVD assuming that would watch it for 10 minutes and then leave to go do something concrete. However, it is not a fantastical movie. It is very real. It deals with the role of fantasy in the minds of characters that are very real. In some ways it is to childhood what "Sideways" was to late 30's or early 40's.
  39. LaraS.
    Mar 7, 2007
    So magical and moving. Can't help but want to hug every character!
  40. averagedu
    Nov 13, 2004
    It's very rare that I think this, but I believe the critical majority is plain wrong on this film. It seems like the ones that dislike it didn't even see the film, they just saw that it was a weapy, knew they hated weapies, and slapped it with a bad review. They'll be sorry...this is going to be one of the most, if not the very most, audience crowdpleasers of the year. It's very rare that I think this, but I believe the critical majority is plain wrong on this film. It seems like the ones that dislike it didn't even see the film, they just saw that it was a weapy, knew they hated weapies, and slapped it with a bad review. They'll be sorry...this is going to be one of the most, if not the very most, audience crowdpleasers of the year. Everything most sentimental weap-fests do wrong, this does right. Depp, Winslet, and the child actor Highmore give extraordinary work, and the script and score are wonderful to boot. My #2 of the year behind Eternal Sunshine. Expand
  41. LaurenD
    Nov 28, 2004
    It is by far the most magical, and beautiful movie I've seen in a very long time. Johnny and Kate are brilliant. Absolute 10.
  42. DamonC
    Dec 26, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] NBR got it right - this is the best film of the year. I never liked Kate Winslet in anything (especially the insipid Eternal Sunshine), but here, her understated sadness is so well captured, I almost forgot it was her. The magic (it's Peter Pan after all) is in how JM Barrie (Johnny Depp will get an Oscar nomination - you heard here first) achieved success against all[***SPOILERS***] NBR got it right - this is the best film of the year. I never liked Kate Winslet in anything (especially the insipid Eternal Sunshine), but here, her understated sadness is so well captured, I almost forgot it was her. The magic (it's Peter Pan after all) is in how JM Barrie (Johnny Depp will get an Oscar nomination - you heard here first) achieved success against all odds, and even at its height, (SPOILERS AHEAD), he loses both his wife and the Kate Winslet character. You won't get this film if you don't believe in fairies and tinkerbell - but those who do, you can, and will, fly. Expand
  43. PhilF
    Jan 14, 2005
    Surprisingly touching without being cloying. And... great to look at!
  44. heathere.
    Jan 26, 2005
    This movie was soo great! it is definitely on my top 5 list of favorite movies. Depp was excellent, he gives an oscar-worthy performance, Winslet was fantastic, but Freddie Highmore's performance was flawless, his performance was oscar-worthy. Finding Neverland is such a good movie and you should definitely go see it.
  45. MollyJ.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I think that this movie is so good, i cried and cried like even 20 minutes after the movie, its really touching! GO SEE IT ITS WAY GOOD!~!
  46. joank.
    Feb 13, 2005
    Wonderful! heartfelt! we should all be able to dream and enjoy life and never lose our child dreams and fantasies. johnny depp/outstanding and kate winslet very convincing in moving performances. children were wonderful take the whole family and go and see it. for all ages!!!
  47. erin
    Feb 13, 2005
    It's excellent. very tough subject material so well-handled. the movie theater was silent at the end...not a sound. hardly anyone left when the credits were done rolling...3-4minutes later. (if that tells you anything)
  48. CaptainCraig
    Feb 18, 2005
    I didnt know this level of production talent still lives. I did note it was produced in England...NOT Hollywood, so that may account for something Top talent in every aspect! Starts kind of sleep and before you know it your overwhelmed with emotion. The final 15 minutes are the most emotional of any film!
  49. KentK.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Totally inspiring, Great acting.
  50. DougD.
    Mar 11, 2005
    One of the best films I have ever seen.
  51. LuisV.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Great movie.
  52. Sam
    Apr 12, 2006
    After some fun takes on the story of Peter Pan, I've always wondered who the man was that started the epic tale, and if the life of the man was a movie, would it be any good. Ladies and Gentlemen, Finding Neverland has finally ended my craving for that movie, with (in my opinion) 2004's best picture.
  53. DHowe
    Nov 12, 2004
    Johnny Depp really grows up in this movie. A perfect actor to portray a man of imagination. His special style shines in his relationship with children.
  54. SusanS.
    Nov 24, 2004
    Let's just get this out of the way--this movie is not accurate to Barrie's life. Okay, that's done. What I took from it was David Magee's interpretation of Peter Pan through Barrie's life. It's a little sappy, yes, but I certainly felt the poignancy of it as well. It's less about writing a play and more about facing death, and that theme is played Let's just get this out of the way--this movie is not accurate to Barrie's life. Okay, that's done. What I took from it was David Magee's interpretation of Peter Pan through Barrie's life. It's a little sappy, yes, but I certainly felt the poignancy of it as well. It's less about writing a play and more about facing death, and that theme is played beautifully. It's also nice to see a more mainstream movie that doesn't need to be over-the-top drama or ADD action. For the most part, subtle and imaginative, without relying too much on soundtrack or special effects to portray emotion. Expand
  55. MattL.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Awesome! Kate Winslet glows on the screen!
  56. JudyT.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Beautiful film about dealing with personal tragedy and maintaining your child-like imagination no matter how old you are.
  57. JohnV.
    Dec 31, 2004
    Wonderful screenplay with great performances. I was totally absorbed and I generally the like comedic / fantatasy / shot-em-up type films.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Mingling reality and fantasy, Forster has given us a luminous, touching meditation on life and art.
    Glorious entertainment.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Finding Neverland takes a big, brave leap and lands splat on the sidewalk.