8.2

1. Aug 18, 2013
    This is a very well done documentary about young aspiring ballet artists competing in a world class competition. It's fascinating and at least somewhat dramatic, and watching all this kids dance for their passion is really a treat.
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    It seemed like a long promotional pitch for: "American Idol for Ballet Dancers". I was ready to be a fan of this documentary and a good story, but the potentially good stories were mashed together. I was disappointed they didn't use the ebb and flow of ballet to tell the story. Great kids, good music, hard work, sacrifice is clear. But, I wasn't invested in the characters...In summary, with so many other great movies to watch, this one is on the end of your list unless you love ballet. Collapse
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    A lovely, touching movie, albeit a bit heavy on the heart-tugging. I loved the dancing, the cinematography, and the personal stories (and the personalities of the dancers and their families); but most of all I loved the fact that there was no Nigel, Mary, Little C, Trice, or Mia to ruin it.
  4. Jun 1, 2012
    Liked the movie a lot. Showed you the passion and hardwork put in by the youngsters in pursuing their dream of dancing ballet professionally. Would recommend this film to young people and their familes who are seriously considering a career in the arts.

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Jagernauth
    Jul 23, 2012
    First Position is a simple, but effective portrait of ambition and determination in an art form where the stakes are high and the rewards are few.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    May 23, 2012
    It's a wealth of material at odds with a scant running time and shallow focus.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 18, 2012
    Among recent documentaries, First Position soars to the head of the class.