7.1

1. Sep 4, 2011
    Ponderous (where's the battle?), navel gazing (not naval, unfortunately), sentimental, cliched, misses the big picture. Anything else? Actually, the battle scenes are quite impressive, even though the movie attempts to remove it from the screen altogether. The iconic photograph of the raising of the Stars and Stripes was somewhat inaccurate and was used as a part of US war propaganda? Got that? No? Then watch a movie that is two and a quarter hours long that bleats on about it. Alternatively.... look at the far superior Letters From Iwo Jima instead! Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2012
    While I prefer Letter's from Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers is still an excellent movie.
    What makes it so great is that it follows the book right to the bone. The events and the characters are all historically correct, and the acting was good.
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    Booring and soiling the American battle against their enemies during WW2. So what if there was a bit of propaganda going on. It was war for Christ sake. Thsi was a completely unnecessary movie.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's "Flags Of Our Fathers" is a retelling of the events surrounding the iconic flag-raising photo taken on Iwo Jima's mount Suribachi during WWII. The movie follows the lives of three of the six men in the photo and the trials and tribulations that they face after the picture was taken. For me, I felt that there were a multitude of aspects that made this film truly enjoyable and unique. The cinematography, for one, I felt was really incredibly well executed. I found it interesting how nearly every scene that featured combat was seemingly grayscaled, giving the scenes a very surreal and oneiric feel. Another really strong aspect of the film was the fact that the movie had a non-linear narrative. For example, after the film started in media res, it then jumped from the present to the flashbacks of the soldiers' experiences in the war and so on. This technique really helped to make the film feel dynamic and alive. Another aspect that I felt was noteworthy (and rather unsung to be honest) was the acting. I found that Adam Beach's turn as tormented veteran, Ira Hayes, to be the most powerful performance in the film for me. In addition, Clint Eastwood's masterful direction skill clearly shines through this movie's near seamless presentation. Overall, I felt that "Flags Of Our Fathers" was a really interesting story that delved into themes involving reluctant heroism, and the price of war. The film really helps make you realize just who the real heroes are in our world; those or armed forces - living or fallen. Expand
  5. Jan 18, 2013
    Muy parecida a Hermanos de Sangres. Lo mejor que se introduzca a un personaje indio. A como la prensa y el ejército se aprovechan. Tengo ganas de ver Cartas desde Iwo Jima para entender el otro lado de las cosas.
  6. Apr 2, 2013
    It was a very interesting movie to watch. It's not a style I generally enjoy but I appreciate the movie as it is. I think it's important to watch movies like this to get a better understanding of the world wars. It shows the brutality of war along with all the other elements that go along with the time period. Clint Eastwood did a good job and this movie is worth watching.

1. Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers does a most difficult and brave thing and does it brilliantly. It is a movie about a concept. Not just any concept but the shop-worn and often wrong-headed idea of "heroism."
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ambitiously tackling his biggest canvas to date, Clint Eastwood continues to defy and triumph over the customary expectations for a film career in Flags of Our Fathers.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    An epic both raw and contemplative, is neither a flag-waving war movie nor a debunking.