Flight of the Red Balloon

5.7

1. MarkK.
    Jan 10, 2009
    A good artsy film is worth owning. This movie is not even worth napping through. Save the cramped neck by going to bed early and not watching this over-hyped, French-fried, potato.
  2. ButterK.
    Dec 3, 2008
    This is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. I couldn't wait for it to end. I wanted to pull out my hair because I found it sooooooooo boring and pointless. What was the point of this movie?? I can't believe the critics loved this movie.
  3. PaulB.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Pointless, with endless scenes of pure nothingness. No plot, no character development, practically no dialogue...just the dreaded balloon floating as aimlessly as the film.
  4. MarcoP.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Incredibly boring! No story, no dialogues, no point. Even Paris looks like crap! Do not miss a 5 minutes "dialogues" with 3 sentences about the number of eggs required to make crepes. That will be the best part of the movie.
  5. AlfioM.
    Jun 3, 2008
    That's a great movie for anyone who doesn't get bored watching a balloon screensaver for almost 2 hours.
  6. DanB
    Sep 30, 2008
    In a word, Dull. Two hours of watching a frazzled mother, a quiet child and his equally quiet nanny go through their day to day. The most dramatic part of the film is when a tenant who is on screen for all of five minutes is to be evicted. A film for film students, and only them, with it's cracking of the fourth wall and subtle meta commentary. Supposedly the film is also about the In a word, Dull. Two hours of watching a frazzled mother, a quiet child and his equally quiet nanny go through their day to day. The most dramatic part of the film is when a tenant who is on screen for all of five minutes is to be evicted. A film for film students, and only them, with it's cracking of the fourth wall and subtle meta commentary. Supposedly the film is also about the dreams and thoughts of the three main characters, but they are never said aloud, or narrated, or even hinted at. If this film we're viewed by the deaf, they would miss nothing. Expand
    May 16, 2008
    Can't beliefe all the reviewers and I saw the same film. It dragged, no plot, irritating sequences with the puppeteers, incredibly difficult just trying to figure out what is going on. Definitely artsy fartsy. Beautiful photography, though.
  8. KevinR.
    Jan 18, 2009
    First let me say that I like art films...I like French films--Godard, Truffaut, Renoir....but this movie was excruciating. One of the worst "entertainment" experiences of my life! It was a movie about nothing. If you like watching a kid have a piano lesson, watching someone straighten up a living room, watching a piano tuner at work, or someone making pancakes then this is the movie for First let me say that I like art films...I like French films--Godard, Truffaut, Renoir....but this movie was excruciating. One of the worst "entertainment" experiences of my life! It was a movie about nothing. If you like watching a kid have a piano lesson, watching someone straighten up a living room, watching a piano tuner at work, or someone making pancakes then this is the movie for you. Oh and especially if you like to watch red balloons randomly floating around. I saw The Red Balloon when I was young and was enchanted. This, however, which is meant to be an homage, is beyond endurance. I give it a 1 for some occasionally nice cinematography. Expand

It's both happy and sad. That's exactly the way to describe Hou's marvelous film as well.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    This eloquent study of loneliness and postmodern drift likely will be received with more admiration than rapture by the helmer's followers. But Juliette Binoche's turn as a harried single mom and pic's enlivening portrait of domestic rupture make this a highly accessible Hou.
  3. There's not much story here, but the characters are substantial: a single mother (nicely played by Juliette Binoche) who runs a local avant-garde puppet theater and is preoccupied with such matters as a downstairs tenant who refuses to pay rent or leave, her neglected but mainly cheerful son, and his Taiwanese nanny, a filmmaker in her spare time.