7.2

1. May 14, 2013
    ''possibly the best andy garcia movie. a very underrated film lots of gun action great acting superb cast its so worth a watch its truly an instant classic''
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    With a metacritic rating of 35 and a user score of 72 you can assure that there is something fishy going on with the ratings of this movie.

This movie, if it can even be called one, is actually a two hour plus piece of propaganda from the religious right (yes, we have one in Mexico) to try to justify the actions of a group of people who started refusing state provided secular education
    and was handled very poorly by the government.

Of course the movie never mentions the numbers of teachers that were assassinated by the cristeros, which started the reaction by Calles' government.

Not worth wasting your time on it.
  3. Oct 7, 2012
    An interesting story that needs to be told, but in a less manipulative way. The characters her are all cut from the back hat, white hat mold and consequently when the emotional scenes appear, we mostly know how they will unfold and care very little. The acting here was not bad but unfortunately the actors were not given a very good script to work with.
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    A great story of the fight for liberty against corporate and foreign interests. It takes place in the early 1900's They did a great job on the acting and fight scenes. I highly recommend.
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    It is powerful, moving and keeps you wanting to watch more. Interesting direction in the opening and climactic battle scenes. Awesome film and should stay on every shelf in every house.
  6. Jun 23, 2012
    This was a inspirational TRUE story. I believe the newspaper movie critics are jaded. I enjoyed every minute. I am happy to see so many people of Mexican descent writing great reviews. This parallels what happened in France when the hard working, God and neighbor loving Catholics of the Vendee where murdered for defending their faith. Our Lady of Guadelupe is our protector. She is for all the Americas North, South and central. Long live Christ the King!!!!!!!!! Expand
  7. Jun 8, 2012
    The combination of stunning cinematography, a breathtaking score and inspired performances by a terrific cast, Dean Wright's directorial debut sets him up for a future of continued greatness. I will be happy to watch anything he puts forward, especially if they are as wonderful as this.
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never written a public movie review before so bear with me. This movie begins with about 30 minutes of below par screenplay and over-accelerated back story. After that, the film gets really good. Occasionally very disturbing and moving. Amazing telling of an historical event that I never knew had happened just south of the border. Almost Nazi level atrocities against Catholics. Andy Garcia in other movies is sometimes a good actor and occasionally a bad actor. In "For Greater Glory" he is excellent. Interesting parallels between what happened 100 years ago in Mexico what is happening in present day U.S.A. with tendencies toward the abolition of respect for religious freedom, especially for Catholics. Satan is putting in overtime these days. You can see it even when you read the critics' reviews for this film. Check out the review from Roger Ebert. His was the most positive I've seen and it was only two and a half stars. His biggest complaint? Too Catholic. Here's a quote, "It is well-made, yes, but has such pro-Catholic tunnel vision I began to question its view of events. One important subplot involves a 12-year-old boy choosing to die for his faith. Of course the federal troops who shot him were monsters, but the film seems to approve of his decision and includes him approvingly in a long list of Cristeros who have achieved sainthood or beatification after their deaths in the war." and in his final paragraph, "If it had not hewed so singlemindedly to the Catholic view and included all religions under the banner of religious liberty, I believe it would have been more effective. If your religion doesn't respect the rights of other religions, it is lacking something." QUE' !?! I'm sorry... that was Spanish. WHAT !?! You get the feeling that a Wiccan subplot in early twentieth century Mexico would have elevated the movie's credibility in Ebert's eyes. Start with a pound of Catholicism add a dash of Islam, a pinch of Hinduism, and then add 3/4 cup of Shinto. Roger Ebert's perfect recipe for "Creed Stew", history be danged. What I find astonishing about Ebert's views is the way they reveal his complete lack of understanding of the Catholic faith. He describes these events with a spirit of condemnation. For Catholics, the granite faith of a twelve year old in the face of torture and eventual martyrdom is glorious. What he faces is horrific, but his response is an example that we all should aspire to. I can't help but believe that if the Catholic boy and his Federales abusers' characters were changed into a Jihadist and his interrogators in Guantanimo Bay Ebert would have seen the Jihadist as a victim hero. How did everything ever get turned this upside down? It absolutely should be seen on the big screen. I fear it will be gone very soon. The average of all the reviews is a 35 out of a possible 100. That's the equivalent of about one and a half stars. In this economy people are going to spend there movie cash on a three and a half star movie like the Avengers before a poorly rated film. But, this is no one and a half star movie. I personally give it two stars for the first thirty minutes and three and a half stars for the rest. Overall? Easily a three star film. Low ratings across the board? (note the disparity between the critics' reviews and the "Must Go" rating of ordinary movie goers. They gave it an average of 7.9 out of 10.) Expand
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    You must see this movie.With great performances, writing and photography you're guaranteed to love this film whilst being informed on a near forgotten era of Mexico's history.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    One of the best films I've ever seen!! Everyone in the audience was moved, laughed, cried, then applauded at the end. It's an sweeping epic masterpiece, they don't make movies like this much anymore, what a great time!!
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    Totally agree with you buddyjan. This movie was outstanding...no matter what the critics say. Please, please, please people go and support this movie and send Hollywood and all the left wing media a strong message. We will not support their idea of entertainment!
  12. Jun 7, 2012
    Amazing and deep movie. Some parts are rather sad, but it depicts the realistic pain that comes with war. Quite inspirational, to think it was based off history.
  13. Jun 3, 2012
    I found this movie to be outstanding. The cast and Andy Garcia were excellent. I was riveted during the entire movie and was stunned at the blood shed for religious freedom no so long ago. I was rating it a 10, but this scale saved "8" whllst I was still rating
    My rating is a 10.
  14. Jun 3, 2012
    this is a spectacular movie , full of courage/ truth/ freedom & RELIGIOUS FREEDOM...
    ACTING IS OUTSTANDING & ANDY GARCIA IS THE TRUMP CARD...a very wonderful, charismatic actor that we miss not seeing much more of.../ excellent in directing & story ....wish there were many more of these movies available for us to enjoy../ THE CRITICS ARE SO OFF BASE & IDIOITIC & LEFT WINGED, THAT
    IT IS A JOKE TO EVEN LISTENT TO THEM..../ THEY SHOULD ALL BE FIRED...UGHHH
    ***DONT MISS --FOR GREATER GLORY--- IT IS THE ULTIMATE MOVIE.....
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    Is the best movie I have ever seen about recent history.
    Show us how the gov secular and atheist of Mexico wants to destroy Catholic Church.
    Is an epic and emotive movie.
    Inspirational, with real heroes, and martyrs.
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    This is an exceptional film that clearly portraits in less than 3 hours the war for religious freedom in Mexico. If you did not experience the cruelty of the government against our people, our ancestors, in my case Anacleto Gonzalez Flores, and of all our relatives and beloved priests and children getting killed for practicing their religion, you will not understand this film. This is the best that could be done in less than 3 hours. I STRONGLY recommend this film. It was very close to reality. It was a bloody struggle, of course!! a bloody battle that the Mexican government of that time initiated. WE, the audience, LOVED IT!!!!! THUMBS UP!!!!!!! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark Olsen
    Jun 4, 2012
    The film's length and muddled message will likely keep it from reaching much of an audience, even within the presumed Latino faith-based target.
  2. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Jun 1, 2012
    The sometimes painfully sincere and slow-moving For Greater Glory clearly aspires to be inspirational, but history won't cooperate. The Cristeros triumphed not because of their faith, but because the United States exerted diplomatic pressure to protect its oil interests in Mexico.
  3. Reviewed by: Frank Scheck
    May 31, 2012
    The sort of lumbering epic drama that went out of fashion by the late 1960s, For Greater Glory is mainly notable for shedding light on a little-known historical conflict, namely the Cristero War that took place in 1920s Mexico.