Dimension Films | Release Date: January 19, 1996
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 354 Ratings
Watch Now
TalbisAug 17, 2017
Vampires in movies, vampires in TV, vampires in books, animation... Vampires have been done to death. This movie, coming out in the middle of the '90, is just a footnote in the history of vampires in the media. A footnote written by TarantinoVampires in movies, vampires in TV, vampires in books, animation... Vampires have been done to death. This movie, coming out in the middle of the '90, is just a footnote in the history of vampires in the media. A footnote written by Tarantino and directed by Rodriguez.
When I first saw this movie I was sure it's the worst thing I have ever seen. One minute you watch a crime drama, then you blink and it's a b-class vampire flick... Gory, vulgar, stupid movie. Unnecessary movie. Yet I keep thinking about it time and time again, I keep coming back to it... Because it is fun. You see, movie doesn't need to be deep, the movie needs to be entertaining. And this movie does that really well. the music is great, characters are memorable, and the **** Twister... amazing. Also... Santanico Pandemonium!
Meth-dudeApr 3, 2017
It may have been cliché, silly and predictable and some of the acting wasn't very good, but it sure was an entertaining and really well made movie. From Dusk Till Dawn is the proof that silly vampire movies can still be fun.
BerCJul 15, 2016
The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired worldThe artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "From Dusk Till Dawn":
I want to preface this by saying that I have never been that big a fan of television. So this was my introduction to George Clooney and even in an off-the-wall gorefest such as this, it was easy to see he would go on to have a prosperous career in cinema. His presence dominates the screen and his sense of character never falters for one second. We are also treated to Quentin Tarantino's little b*tch boy sidekick of a brother. Tarantino almost always adds some worthwhile humor to his screen roles and this is perhaps the best of his bunch. Salma Hayek is another big highlight of the movie, even though she doesn't have nearly the same amount of screen time. Let's face it, sure she has had better roles in her career which challenged her abilities and allowed her to shine. However, any time you get to see a hot Latin beauty with a six-foot python wrapped around her half naked body it's going to leave an impression. In addition, I wish we could have had more Tom Savini. Seriously. This guy should have stepped in front of the camera more often as it's clear he thoroughly enjoys hamming it up. The music also plays an important part in this production. From the Blasters to Tito and Tarantula to ZZ Top, this is not the average music which accompanies your normal vampire film. These southern-tinged rock 'n' blues pieces go a long way in differentiating this movie from the plethora of vampire motion pictures which seem to populate each and every decade since the creation of the medium.

What I Personally Disliked About "From Dusk Till Dawn":
Easily the worst part of this movie is Ernest Liu. He is simply not a strong enough actor to bring anything to the table. He's surrounded by larger than life, recognizable actors and his bland performance stands out like a bonfire on a blackened evening. Maybe if Juliette Lewis wasn't playing the role of his sister there would have been a bit more balance to his monotone execution. As it is, he is woefully out of place and I just can't seem to get past his presence in this picture. There are also some fairly heavy pacing problems, particularly before the stylistic switch between hostage drama and horror show.

My Overall Impression of "From Dusk Till Dawn":
This is a fun little vampire grindhouse action/horror/comedy but, at the end of the day, it's still just a vampire grindhouse action/horror/comedy. It's bloody. It's campy. It's filled with naked t*ts, flying fists and some really good make-up effects. It's not Shakespeare, but we don't go into this kind of flick expecting it to be so. While it tries its hardest to be original, it's still susceptible to a handful of genre cliches that affect the enjoyment of the presentation. It's simply a middle-of-the-road monster movie with a better than average cast and a bit more humor than most of its competition.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Suitably sleazy entertainment. The first half of the movie is a grindhouse style crime-thriller, while the second is an over-the-top and goofy vampire movie that doesn't take itself seriously at all and is filled with extremely gory kills.Suitably sleazy entertainment. The first half of the movie is a grindhouse style crime-thriller, while the second is an over-the-top and goofy vampire movie that doesn't take itself seriously at all and is filled with extremely gory kills. The only things that stay the same throughout are that it's completely vulgar and it's main characters are violent and deranged.

SpangleOct 9, 2015
A fun and campy horror gorefest, From Dusk Till Dawn certainly ranks up there with the weirdest movies I have encountered during my journey through film. From the major tonal shift to the fact that it exists as a decent movie in manyA fun and campy horror gorefest, From Dusk Till Dawn certainly ranks up there with the weirdest movies I have encountered during my journey through film. From the major tonal shift to the fact that it exists as a decent movie in many different genres, and to the fact that it stars George Clooney viciously killing vampires, From Dusk Till Dawn is quite the experience. It is never truly a horror film in the sense that it scares you, but it is one in the sense that it truly just lingers within you. Once you watch this one, you have become the undead and will never switch back. Weird turn after weird turn reveal a wildly entertaining if over-the-top film that truly never fails to live up to my expectations for it. It is not a great film, but is a fun one and has some classic Tarantino writing and gore, plus a good performance from George Clooney, and solid direction form Robert Rodriguez. A Tarantino-Clooney-Rodriguez group project can never truly can too awry, now can it? Overall, this one is a nice, light break from more serious horror films during the lead up to any Halloween. Expand
moonman1994May 19, 2015
Is it great? No, but it certainly is very entertaining. That being said it isn't much more than entertaining. The kills are great and the action/comedy keeps you watching it but when you look beyond that there really isn't all that much substance.
TerraapexNov 11, 2014
George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino shine in this great vampire flick. Starts as a movie about two criminals on the run. The thing about this movie is it the first and second halves could be their own films. The first half is a interestingGeorge Clooney and Quentin Tarantino shine in this great vampire flick. Starts as a movie about two criminals on the run. The thing about this movie is it the first and second halves could be their own films. The first half is a interesting tale of two brothers in crime. About midway it turns into a highly entertaining vampire movie. Great quotable dialogue, memorable scenes, some decent performances and vampires. What more could you want? Expand
SuperkidNov 9, 2014
I think this movie is really good. It is by far the best vampire movie I've ever seen. I really like how the vampires look. Not terrible obvious mask and not so good you'll get nightmares but like directly in the middle. Also the story isI think this movie is really good. It is by far the best vampire movie I've ever seen. I really like how the vampires look. Not terrible obvious mask and not so good you'll get nightmares but like directly in the middle. Also the story is funny and suspenseful. I like this movie but it's not the GREATEST. so that's why I gave it a 7. Expand
TheQuietGamerAug 20, 2014

It can be stupid, offensive, or at times just downright gross. Surprisingly though that's what makes it fun. Watching it turn from a crime-thriller with two deranged leads (Clooney and Tarantino himself) into a dumb, b-movie horror flick feels surprisingly natural, and it's just overall a decent amount of trashy and stupid fun. It's definitely not for everyone, but there's something about it that still makes it worth a look. Just keep in mind this is far from high-art. I give it a 6.8/10.
ThegodfathersonApr 1, 2014
From Dusk Till Dawn is extremely trashy, cheesy, vulgar entertainment. This is real 80's pulp mashed together is laughably bad script and screenplay. It's trashy but fun. George Clooney plays Seth Gecko and Quentin Tarantino playes RichardFrom Dusk Till Dawn is extremely trashy, cheesy, vulgar entertainment. This is real 80's pulp mashed together is laughably bad script and screenplay. It's trashy but fun. George Clooney plays Seth Gecko and Quentin Tarantino playes Richard Gecko- another word for rapist in movie history. These brothers care about crime, when the tables turn in an attempt to rob a gas station, the brothers find themselves in big trouble after every cop in the state looks for them. When the boys find a RV to escape- they find three family members in it. Jacob Fuller, played by Harvey Keitel- Kate Fuller, played by Julliete Lewis and Scott Fuller played by Ernest Liu. The story progresses as they go to a club called the **** Twister and get a sexy dance by Salma Hayek. Yeah, that's it. But the second half is about fighting vampires rather than focusing on the story and characters. It wastes too much time. The story is absurd and most people wont like it- especially Tarantino fans. But the real cringe to the movie is this the acting and the all time fun you have in this cheesy flick. It's the most fun you'll have but still- it's flawed. I would say give it a rent and check out your brain at the door. Expand
WSP2222Jan 28, 2014
Another bunch of sicko crap from Tarantino, who is one of the sickest wackos ever to come out of Hollywood. Having Clooney in it only made it worse - if that was possible.
ingie44Nov 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was absolutly fantastic for just over an hour. Literally one of the best things I'd ever seen, clever, funny, cool, well acted. Aaand then this lady turns into a vampire, tarentino dies and the whole thing goes to hell. I've never been so disappointed. Expand
imthenoobJan 2, 2013
To me, It's incredibly rare for a movie to not only to suck you in but to keep you interested and entertained through out and this movie really did it for me. I loved it.
VeryDarkJediNov 24, 2012
This movie is directed by Robert Rodriquez and has a screenplay by Quentin Tarantino who also has a role in the film. This is actually one of the first movies by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino that I watched and from then on I prettyThis movie is directed by Robert Rodriquez and has a screenplay by Quentin Tarantino who also has a role in the film. This is actually one of the first movies by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino that I watched and from then on I pretty much became a fan of them both. So, when it came out on Blu-ray a while ago I had to get it for the collection of course.

When I and my dear wife first watched this movie we did not really know what it was all about. We thought it was just another robbery/criminal story and the first half of the movie it is indeed
j30Nov 10, 2011
A mildly entertaining movie that starts out like a Tarantino movie and then quickly turns into a horror b-movie.
TheNewSpielbergMay 2, 2011
A fun ride that has a better first half than the second. If this movie had just left out the whole vampire story and just continued with the first half it would have been much more thrilling and possibly become an unexpected success. GeorgeA fun ride that has a better first half than the second. If this movie had just left out the whole vampire story and just continued with the first half it would have been much more thrilling and possibly become an unexpected success. George Clooney gives a great job and Tarantino, Lewis and Keitel do well also. However, the only reason I wouldn't give this movie full marks is because of the fact that the vampire action reaches levels of pure mindless schlock and forgets all drama, suspense and character. In other words, a good time for horror fans and a bad time for serious moviegoers. Expand
PatC.May 1, 2006
Two halves of different movies spliced together with total disregard for continuity. The first half is entertaining in its Tarantino expect-the-unexpected content, but the second half treats it as mere disposable prologue, making the entire Two halves of different movies spliced together with total disregard for continuity. The first half is entertaining in its Tarantino expect-the-unexpected content, but the second half treats it as mere disposable prologue, making the entire project disposable - apparently what the filmmakers set out to do. Mission accommplished. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful