6.6

1. Mar 8, 2011
    From Paris with Love shacked the crap out of me with how good it was, I thought it was just going to be your typical buddy cop movie (or in this case buddy spy), it's not perfect do to the fact that you never really know what's going on because of the fact they change it up every five minutes, but with two plot twists I didn't see coming, and satisfying action, this is a great movie I can recommend to action fans. Expand
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    "From Paris with Love" is a weak film compared to those French action films such as "Leon", or "Nikita", but at least it passes the average grade.
  3. Aug 18, 2010
    Buy, Rent, Skip. That's how I'll rate my review. Ignore the number above. Pretty decent action flick. Travolta plays a pretty convincing badass. The story gets is kind of slow in the beginning, in the sense you not really sure what the movie is about, but once the movies gets to the point it's a pretty great thrill ride the rest of the way. If your looking for a movie that keep your attention for a movie night in, give this a movie a rent. Plus their is a little reference in this movie to one of John Travolta's most famous lines I thought was hilarious. Not the best action movie but definitely worth a watch. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Don't take this rating the wrong way when I give it a 10, I mean this ten in a cult movie way. This is one of the best cults I've seen. John Travolta, don't get me wrong, does look a little messed- up when he's bald, but damn can he play a pretty kick- ass actor! There are relations to Pulp Fiction in this that made me laugh, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, uh, maybe you should've seen that before you saw this, dumb-ass. I don't mean the **** AMC version, I'm talking DVD, IFC, or anything else that's uncut. And not **** CBC, don't waste your time with the damn tracers. Still, this movie is a very good combination of action, drug- hunting, and all the humor you'd expect from such an actor like John Travolta, not the greaser, John, but pretty much any other John. The good thing about this cult, no **** ending like all the Scary Movies, or the Hottie and the Nottie. Go see From Paris w/ Love... Expand
  5. Sep 19, 2010
    Totally predictable all the way through but still fun. If you like action scenes and drug references, this movie is for you. Doesn't give you enough to actually care for the lives of any of the characters so it's just all fun rather than emotional.
  6. Dec 1, 2010
    Very action packed but a little unbelievable in parts which made you not want to believe it. though it still hooked you in and made you want to keep watching. James Reece is turned from this rule abiding worker into this careless and unruly killer. I think that's what helped make it all the better.
  7. Dec 13, 2010
    I was excited to hear that director Pierre Morel and writer Luc Besson were teaming up again to create another action thriller. After they created "Taken", which I thought was amazing, I thought they could do no wrong. Well, with "From Paris with Love" they did a little wrong. Just a little.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  8. Sep 23, 2013
    Whilst it's not exactly high art, From Paris with Love is a very entertaining slice of popcorn action. John Travolta is excellent as the maniacal agent Wax; he's just tons of fun to watch. Well paced with exciting action scenes, From Paris with Love is a superior action flick.
  9. Jan 10, 2011
    Watching old-John Travolta was running, hopping, and climbing was very refreshing. It looks like he is trying to be Bourne. Thiz criminal-thriller was directed by Pierre Morel. The man is known as creditable Cinematographer, behind THE TRANSPORTER (2002), SOMETHING GOTTA GIVE (2003), and UNLEASHED (2005). In my point of view, Morel action scene is always excessive and hard to believe to happen in real situation, although is still entertaining. His directing credits are DISTRICT 13 (2004) and TAKEN (2008), which loved by most critics. Thiz side kick-action-adventure, Travolta accompanied by Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who once again showed his skill by speaking Chinese language fluently in one of the scenes. The script had some potential to develop to be more interesting and interspaces with some funny scenes. The story is about an US ambassador assistant (Rhys Meyers) tasked to escort a special agent (Travolta) in some mysterious mission. Later, this mission also involve with Rhys Meyers character fiancé (Kasia Smutniak). The surprise character on thiz movie spotlights on Smutniak who just made her Hollywood debut. In my notes, thiz movie had some weaknesses on story-telling, by spoiling too much on its surprising elements. I already had a feeling where thiz story would goes to, even on the early scenes. The elements were too obvious to notice, (Spoiler Alert!) Bcoz the character played by unknown artist and shared too much screen (even on the beginning scenes). In one of the scenes, when Smutniak character were waving goodbye to her fiancé (Rhys Meyers), where the scene is too underline and the duration is too long, I already known definitely she will be the bad guy. Or just simply, if you sensitive enough, you could already found out on the title itself! Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    A number of reviewers around the web have criticised this movie for its nonsensical plot and the fact that its characters make decisions for no other reason than to move us onto the next action sequence and, to be honest, they are right. Anyone watching this film hoping for a subtle thriller though has clearly come to the wrong place.

Thanks in large part to a brilliantly over the top
    performance from John Travolta as well as some great action scenes and a tongue in cheek sense of humour however From Paris with Love is a gripping, fast paced movie that is sure to entertain fans of the action genre. Expand
  11. Feb 5, 2012
    I was thoroughly disappointed by From Paris with Love. Luc Besson's normally energetic and no-nonsense writing feels turgid, and director Pierre Morel has made films that are both more fun (District 13) and more consistent (Taken) than this sorry affair. Both leads are miscast - Johnathan Rhys Meyers' ambassador's assistant and part-time CIA operative James Reese quite remarkably manages to come across as both wooden and camp at the same time, and John Travolta's agent Charlie Wax is just an offensive, egotistic, fat old man who couldn't believably pull off half the stunts he does in this film (Travolta clearly has a good stunt man to do the tricky stuff, and the camera craftily cuts away whenever he's required to run). The plot is predictable, the representations of various ethnicities in Paris borderline offensive, and the action is unimaginative, and surprisingly infrequent for an action film. The only thing the film really does is raise the occasional smile with a few passable jokes (usually when Reese points out the ridiculousness of the situation, or when Travolta is particularly hammy) though even this is somewhat spoiled by a decision to crowbar in a reference to one of the lead actor's biggest hits. I'm sure said line was intended to be funny, but instead it just causes you to groan in deep embarrassment. From Paris with Love is only worth watching for the odd chuckle - it works on no other level, not as an action film, thriller, comment on terrorism and paranoia, not even as a buddy movie. It's merde, Monsieur Besson and Monsieur Morel, and you both need to have a long, hard think about where your careers are heading. Expand
  12. Feb 9, 2012
    From Paris with Love is just all kinds of wrong. Directed by Takenâ
  13. Jun 30, 2013
    There is little left to the imagination when most of the posters promoting ‘From Paris with Love’ show a bald and bearded John Travolta holding a rocket launcher, we now know exactly what we are in for, an over the top and ridiculous 90 minutes...but man is it enjoyable.
    Jonathan Rys Meyers stars as James Reese, a small time CIA operative who sights are higher within the place, but who is
    also a personal aide to a US Ambassador for France, and he’s quite good at his job, and of course he has the woman of his dreams, but when his wish for a more responsible role within the CIA comes to life in the form of unorthodox operative Charlie Wax, played by John Travolta, it isn’t exactly what James was expecting, especially when a shootout goes awry and he ends up carrying a vase full of cocaine around for quite a bit of the film.
    John Travolta is without doubt the best thing about the film, his absurd characteristics of Charlie Wax, drinking mint tea, lunch on the Eiffel Tower and being in love with his ‘wife’, a gun, are hysterical, but he also proves he can play the bad guy with excellent effect, alongside the calmer Meyers.While the legendary actor has had his ups and downs across the years, he has proven himself as quite a diverse actor, particularly in his action oriented turns in this and The taking of Pelham 123. Meyers often portrays very serious and one dimensional characters, but again he seems to be enjoying himself throughout the movie, the mismatch of leading actors certainly paid off as is proven by the surprising chemistry of the level-headed James Reese and the crazy Charlie Wax.
    The writing certainly has its spark in moments, but this is very much a popcorn flick with plenty of brawling in the most unorthodox of circumstances and enough firepower to keep the bloodthirsty fans amused, it is what A Good Day to Die Hard should have been.
    From Paris with Love rightly prides itself in its absurdity, whether its hiding various weapon parts in energy drinks to get through airport customs, hanging out of a speeding car with a rocket launcher or the unbelievable plot which takes each and every twist and turn imaginable, it all equals out to an enjoyable flick that is easy on the eyes but not so much on the ears.
  14. Feb 12, 2014
    From Paris With Love plays as though it were the fourth or fifth sequel in a legendary saga, that has reached it's end and is just milking another film out of the story. It's adequate and somewhat entertaining, but nowhere near as good as it should have been. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers stars a a junior C.I.A. agent, working out of the U.S. Embassy in Paris. Until now he's been asked to do simple things. His role quickly changes once and international terror cell sets up shop in his backyard. Rhys-Meyers is quickly paired with a veteran C.I.A. hit-man. The kind of guy you call when you want things done quickly and under the radar, but years of killing has taken it's toll. The mysterious man has become cold and reckless to a fault. The story here is painfully predictable, in a film that is about half as long as it should have been. Yes, the film is basically non-stop action, but it moves in such a way that the story is rushed to the point of confusion. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was terrific in an opposites attract kind of way. John Travolta on the other hand was much too old and out of shape to be believable as this crazy, over the top hit-man. The chemistry between the two and the amazing non-stop action make this movie a pretty entertaining one, but the predictability and rushed story take too much away to make it the kind of film that keeps audiences buzzing after it's over. Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2013
    Great action movie. Need more of this nowadays. Travolta is great. As well as Rhys Meyers. They make a good pair. The movie is not too long and full of action. Overall this one reminded me of "Shoot 'Em Up" with Clive Owen.
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    Even though John Travolta does supply a hefty spoonful of merriment, the movie does feature an uninteresting male lead and a pretty phoned-in final twist - still okay though.

1. Travolta has/is a blast in an action-thriller-comedy that otherwise comes up short.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Barker
    To his credit, Travolta hams it up with the kind of laissez-faire irony that might have made the film a tongue-in-cheek pleasure, had his attitude extended to the filmmakers.
  3. Morel will inevitably be compared to John Woo, whom he trounces. He has fewer mannerisms (no damn doves) and a keener eye; his fastest, most kinetic shots flow together like frames in a flipbook.