Gamer

4.7

1. AnonymousMC
    Oct 9, 2009
    Overall this was an adequate movie. The best parts were the actions scenes. The acting was also very good with a good cast. There were some gaps in the story which made you ask questions. However besides a minor annoyance it did not diminish the value of the movie. I think the problem with the movie lay with the otherstaff such as the director etc. Also this is an action movie. If theOverall this was an adequate movie. The best parts were the actions scenes. The acting was also very good with a good cast. There were some gaps in the story which made you ask questions. However besides a minor annoyance it did not diminish the value of the movie. I think the problem with the movie lay with the otherstaff such as the director etc. Also this is an action movie. If the viewers go into the movie with this in mind they will enjoy it. If you go into the theather expecting a philosphical movie with academic take on where our world is going you will be deeply diasappointed. Expand
  2. Marc.D.
    Sep 8, 2009
    The film isn't as smart as it thinks it is. That said, it's much smarter than critics have been making it out to be. Viewers should just accept Gamer for what it is...a competent actioner with a relevant tale about social reality being warped by the virtual. You know what...forget all that. The action is fun and the explosions are loud. The critics can just shove off.
  3. stevieb
    Jan 14, 2010
    Great Movie. Something different from the same crop of boring movies being produced.
  4. JamesB.
    Sep 4, 2009
    A surreal, hyperintense experience. Not going to be for everyone, but those who like it will love it.
  5. JosephA
    Dec 5, 2009
    This movie is worth watching. Just finished watching, and unlike other people here, they will give it a 0 before they even watch it. I think many people out there are underrating it for bad reasons. Yes I am also a gamer but just a casual one. Yes not all gamers are horny fat guys in a basement too, but there is a market out there for those type of people, people who have no life. The This movie is worth watching. Just finished watching, and unlike other people here, they will give it a 0 before they even watch it. I think many people out there are underrating it for bad reasons. Yes I am also a gamer but just a casual one. Yes not all gamers are horny fat guys in a basement too, but there is a market out there for those type of people, people who have no life. The point is that this villain took advantage of that market and than continued with the fps games market. Anyhow this movie is good. Ending was.....eh. But I give it a ten to try to average out all the other unfair reviews( Which won't work but I try). It deserves a 8.5 atleast because it was enjoyable. Those who rate it 0 for a stupid reason shouldn't be here. Expand
  6. ZachKoch
    Sep 10, 2009

Basically I want to give you a reason to see or not see this movie without giving away any plot if possible. I think there's a real need for this type of review and if you do too, please leave some feedback at ezekeal.blogspot.com

For my first "If you like..." I will review the movie "Gamer"

Should you see Gamer if you like...

Greard Butler
    If you were a fan of the testosterone infused, over-the-top confidence and love of violence of Butler's Leonidas in 300 or the thuggish wit and comedic dance style of One Two in RocknRolla, you may be disappointed. While there is a lot of personality in Gamer very little of it comes from the stoic Kable. His primary job in this movie is to look like a badass and he handles it well.

Michael C. Hall
    Hall has made a name for himself as the king of premium channel programming. Known primarily for his soft spoken, introspective, gay mortician character in Six Feet Under, and his soft spoken, introspective, asexual, serial killer character in Dexter. His character in this film is anything but soft spoken and probably one of the most enjoyable parts of this film. The southern accent he carries is a little over the top, but absolutely appropriate. If you're a Hall fan and want to see him really break out of his shell I think you will enjoy this film.

Bonus: A keen eye will spot actors who played particularly violent bit roles in both Six Feet Under and Dexter.

The Crank Series
    This is a very polarizing series and relevant considering that Gamer is the first follow-up by the team that wrote and directed the Crank films, Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylor. Crank was an over-the-top non-stop action film to end all over-the-top non-stop action films and Crank: High Voltage made the first one seem boring. Gamer seems to be their first attempt to tame the fast-paced action and rhythmic cutting into a true feature-film narrative. I can't say that it provides the same level of adrenaline, being a somewhat slower paced and darker film, but there are definitely still some "oh sh**" moments. And if you dismissed Crank for a lack of story this may be your chance to see what you've been missing in a more familiar format.

Bonus: Also like Crank you will see a slew of "that guy" actors. This movie is great if you're like I am and enjoy saying "That's the guy from...".

Shooter Games
    Basically if you enjoy shooter film you will enjoy this movie. However, that does not mean that this movie is just fan service to gamers. I think aside from Ludacris's performance, my biggest fear was that Gamer would be a parody of shooter culture with blatant winks, nods, and stereotypes sprinkled throughout the film. I'm happy to say that with a couple small exceptions there was nothing like that. And even better...no catchphrases! How far we've come from hackers. On top of that the movie actually made me want a giant talking Ludacris head on my wall.

The Trailer

Please leave comments and let me know how useful/spoiler free you found this review.I'm experimenting with a new form of movie review that I'm calling "If you like...". The idea is that there are a few factors that would lead you to see a film and I want to try to identify and expand on these in an effort to provide a more useful and spoiler free review.

For my first "If you like..." I will review the movie "Gamer"

Should you see Gamer if you like...

Greard Butler

Michael C. Hall

The Crank Series

Shooter Games
    The Trailer The trailer was actually my primary reason for seeing Gamer and, as it turns out, was very true to the film. It is indeed cut fast and hard, so if the flashiness bugs you, it might be a problem. The film like the trailer and Crank does have a rhythmic, musical quality. It's a rare quality in action movies, but seems to fit very well. The only things missing are some of the more humorous and sexual elements, but overall it's a very good representation of the mood. Please leave comments and let me know how useful/spoiler free you found this review.
  7. KarynC.
    Sep 4, 2009
    I loved this movie. What a ride. Very cool scenes and concept.
  8. MichaelO.
    Sep 4, 2009
    This movie kicks ass. Butler rocks. Better than expected.
  9. MikeR.
    Sep 8, 2009
    Its not so serious like you think And NY Times doesn't like none movie.
  10. ChristianB
    Jan 18, 2010
    Butler and Hall did a great role in this movie and the people that rate it 0 are people who dont like guns firing and good acting
  11. GregT
    Sep 21, 2009
    This film is a solid 7 out of 10. Worst movie ever made? Come on people that is of no use to anyone. That is not a review and it is simply not true. Gamer is no master piece but it is a well put together piece of pop art with a gaming twist. I thought it handled the concept of a 'human Frag fest' really well. Which of us gamers out there worries about the frailities and This film is a solid 7 out of 10. Worst movie ever made? Come on people that is of no use to anyone. That is not a review and it is simply not true. Gamer is no master piece but it is a well put together piece of pop art with a gaming twist. I thought it handled the concept of a 'human Frag fest' really well. Which of us gamers out there worries about the frailities and persoanlity of the characters we frag in death matches in Halo or Timesplitters etc. The film feels just like that. The game for the gamers is literally just a game and the game for the participants is life or death. The Sims part i thought was a real insight into the human mind and the uses of the internet - what would we do if we could control people? The internet is full of sex and depravity and what Gamer does is show that given the chance to live out fantasies though someone else it would probably lead to people doing all of the sordid things they can't do in real life. Admittedly, the fat guy doing things to himself was a little bit too much to stomach and not a fully true reflection of people playing games. Overall i thought Gamer was a violent film with an interesting twist on the future of Gaming. It is exactly like Running Man and Death Race and all of these don't claim to be anything more than mindless violence and a comedic few one liners. Save it for a DVD release. Expand
  12. DaveN.
    Sep 5, 2009
    This movie is worth watching. It isn't amazing, but does have some good bits.
  13. RamonL.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Cool, fast action. And Butler does a fine job.
    Sep 6, 2009
    Fun movie if you like video games.
  15. AngelaF
    Nov 4, 2009
    Amusing, and quite likely behaviour from bored, rich people in the future should such technology become available.
  16. Patrick
    Sep 6, 2009
    This movie was amazing, everything I was expecting when I went to this movie. If you liked death race, or you like pure action with not to much back story - this is for you. Loved every minute of it.
  17. DerekT
    Oct 13, 2009
    Movie taste is just like ass, everyone has one ! it really surprised me this low score ! The movie really delivered what it intended to ! its MY kind of movie, and as i can see, it is the same for other ppl. if you don't like this kind of movie, your critic is as useful as a judge in a golf game. now, for those who enjoy this kind of movie and aren't just wasting their own time Movie taste is just like ass, everyone has one ! it really surprised me this low score ! The movie really delivered what it intended to ! its MY kind of movie, and as i can see, it is the same for other ppl. if you don't like this kind of movie, your critic is as useful as a judge in a golf game. now, for those who enjoy this kind of movie and aren't just wasting their own time and ours... the movie is great, really worth watching ! Expand
  18. KenS
    Sep 21, 2009
    As usual, critics miss the point of a movie like this. Didn't get their payola, I guess. The movie works on at least 2 levels. On the adult level it's a satiric commentary on modern society with its fascination with games like Halo and The Sims. On the horny teen age boy level, it's a kickass action film with all the video game violence, good guys and bad guys, and boobs As usual, critics miss the point of a movie like this. Didn't get their payola, I guess. The movie works on at least 2 levels. On the adult level it's a satiric commentary on modern society with its fascination with games like Halo and The Sims. On the horny teen age boy level, it's a kickass action film with all the video game violence, good guys and bad guys, and boobs and bullets a kid could want. I'm amazed that critics bring no context to the film. Gamer is the love child of Rollerball and the Matrix. It explores the theme of the hero versus society. It also has a nice take on how to conquer the world if you're just one man. This movie was no worse and no better than The Dark Knight, but Batman got treated a lot better critically because he's more of a cultural icon. Gamer holds the mirror up to our insane, hedonistic society, and it's not a pretty picture. Having said all that, I kind of liked it anyway. Expand
  19. Apr 27, 2012
    It's not even close...WORST MOVIE EVER MADE. Not even sure you can call it a movie. I can't, for the life of me figure out what the hell Gerard Butler was thinking doing this. Maybe he was blackmailed? Lost a bet? Maybe he had no idea that drugged out rave freaks would turn it into what it became. Absolute 100% crap.
  20. DavisB
    Sep 12, 2009
    No, it was not a good movie. Does it deserve a 27? No. It was exactly what it was supposed to be- a movie for the horny teenager demographic. Boobs and bullets, and it seems to be pretty good at that.
  21. Aug 25, 2014
    I liked this movie. A lot. I was positively surprised at how good it was when I was expecting to see mindless shooting and destruction; there was actually a very good plot in this one.

I admit, I watched "Gamer" because Milo Ventimiglia had a part in it (a short, insane one, I have to say, but he was oh-so-amusing - in a rather sick way). The idea of the movie was intriguing as well, though, so I gave it a go willingly enough.

And I wasn't disappointed.

A world where there are players, and then there are people who are played; awesome concept, which was carried out pretty well in this one I think. It wasn't necessarily pretty, but it was real. It also perfectly reflected on today's world; the advertisement, the "hot new thing", the following and cult of admiration. Some people entered the game for fun, wanting to be dominated and moved about by someone else. Others entered a killing game to escape their death sentence.

Of course behind it all is a dark scheme to control humanity, but that blends in very well. Pieces fall together, a lot of people get shot, and the action is awesome to look at.

There aren't many personal, ethic dilemmas, and those weren't really needed either. Everything necessary was in there, and I'm certain I'm going to be watching this movie again in near future!
  22. Dec 22, 2012
    Estoy muy seguro de que ni siquiera a tratar de descifrar este comentario porque está en español, pero sin embargo, en realidad era una película muy buena, y estoy tratando de promediar las críticas de aquí, porque si nos fijamos en la base de datos de la película del Internet , tiene una calificación de un sólido cinco punto ocho,Estoy muy seguro de que ni siquiera a tratar de descifrar este comentario porque está en español, pero sin embargo, en realidad era una película muy buena, y estoy tratando de promediar las críticas de aquí, porque si nos fijamos en la base de datos de la película del Internet , tiene una calificación de un sólido cinco punto ocho, por supuesto, no puedo usar los números porque uno de ustedes en realidad podría sospechar que esto no es una crítica legítima, pero bueno, no lo es, me gusta mucho el cine, y me gusta manipular las cosas, así que sí, ponerlos juntos y tienes esta mierda aquí, una revisión españolas, bueno, no exactamente una crítica, pero sí, me gusta el cine, me gustan los ponis y lanzadores de cohetes y el pastel de manzana, consulte lo que es un maravilloso ser humano que soy ... bueno, sí, adiós, y si usted es hispano, y entiendes lo que estoy diciendo, entonces ir a ver la película, usted no será decepcionado. Expand
  23. Apr 28, 2014
    Epic! Very nice movie i like this!........................................................................................................................................................
  24. Aug 27, 2016

Sound/ Voice: 19/25 Punkte

Gesamtpunktzahl

74/100 Punkte

1. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    The audience gets played in Gamer. This latest eye-scraper from writer-directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor is as hopped up as their "Crank" pics, but with dour Gerard Butler as a soldier commandeered by a teenage gamer, it's considerably less interactive.
    The trouble with Gamer is that it’s weird, but not weird enough for the long haul.
  3. What the movie needs more than anything else is a fast-forward button.