3.9

1. Mar 31, 2012
    Good first attempt into bringing the Ghost Rider to the big screen. This was an interesting film of an interesting character. Nicolas Cage and Peter Fonda were good, I didn't like the portrayal of Blackheart in this movie. Mark Steven Johnson wasn't the perfect director for this one, and the CGI effects weren't that great.
  2. JohnS.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Very Cheazy. Looked like a hurried made for TV, Power Ranger like movie. Don't think for a minute that because it's a Marvel Comic Movie you can get away that.
  3. Dale
    Feb 22, 2007
    Avi Arad, you are an imbecile and a buffoon. The debacles that were Daredevil and Elektra should have been warning enough. Quit messing with these Marvel characters you fool.
  4. DA.
    Jun 26, 2007
    I actually kinda liked it. I had dreams about it for 4 days. I had one just last night. In all of them I am ghost rider. BACK TO THE MOVIE. It was good although it could o been better.
  5. KeenanS.
    Sep 9, 2009
    Ghost Rider had great potential to rank among the elite comic book flicks, but no, it decided to suck instead. The acting and dialogue int his film is simply atrocious, and you won't know whether to blame the actors or the script for it. The action scenes are poorly scripted and have no substance or meat to them. They are an utter bore to watch. While the CGI effects look nice and Ghost Rider had great potential to rank among the elite comic book flicks, but no, it decided to suck instead. The acting and dialogue int his film is simply atrocious, and you won't know whether to blame the actors or the script for it. The action scenes are poorly scripted and have no substance or meat to them. They are an utter bore to watch. While the CGI effects look nice and there might be maybe two or three action scenes worthy of mentioning, Ghost Rider just falls flat and even a rental will make you feel as if you wasted your money. Go see Watchmen or The Dark Knight instead. Expand
  6. SpencerC.
    Feb 16, 2007
    This movie was better than I expected. Then again, I wasn't expecting it to be any good at all. As far as I was concerned, of all the parts of this movie, the humorous elements did the best job of working the way I think the director intended. Problems: The love interest was totally pointless, the special effects frequently stole the show from the action, and there were problems with This movie was better than I expected. Then again, I wasn't expecting it to be any good at all. As far as I was concerned, of all the parts of this movie, the humorous elements did the best job of working the way I think the director intended. Problems: The love interest was totally pointless, the special effects frequently stole the show from the action, and there were problems with logic (didn't the caretaker say the demons couldn't step on hallowed ground? Why was Blackheart able to confront the priest in the church for the contract?) and common sense (Did the cops really let Roxanne walk in front of them as they all opened fire on the Ghost Rider?). At least I saw this movie for free. Expand
  7. PatrickM.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Good special effects overall. Loved Cage. The dialogue was as bad as any Kung-fu theater mivie I have ever watched. Character development was virtually non-existent. But a fun movie overall if you don't go in expecting too much.
  8. DecepticonPom
    Feb 17, 2007
    A fun bit of Marvel moral-loaded escapism. Nothing more, nothing less.
  9. AMovieCritic
    Feb 16, 2007
    Whoo boy.....in a time when comic book movies are trying to be more "human" and are trying to be much more character-driven and serious...Ghost Rider comes along and completely reverts back to the "Batman and Robin" days. The entire movie feels like a giant cartoon. The dialogue is (intentionally at times) horrible, character conversations are cartoony and unrealistic, no characters are Whoo boy.....in a time when comic book movies are trying to be more "human" and are trying to be much more character-driven and serious...Ghost Rider comes along and completely reverts back to the "Batman and Robin" days. The entire movie feels like a giant cartoon. The dialogue is (intentionally at times) horrible, character conversations are cartoony and unrealistic, no characters are developed at all, the plot is laughable.....completely a step backwards. It's a case of style over substance, clearly. Some inspired special effects and a somewhat interesting first half (and Eva Mendes) make this movie worth seeing but the 2nd half is bogged down by dull action, really bad dialogue, a plot and villains that go nowhere, and increasingly uninteresting characters. I don't know who greenlit this script but it REALLY needed a re-write. It's never a good sign when large numbers of people in the theater got up and left after the final showdown with the villain despite there still being about 5 minutes left in the movie. Meh...go, turn your brain off, it's kind of worth seeing, just don't expect much of anything. The only thing really exciting here wasn't even in the movie; it was the teaser for Resident Evil; Extinction that was shown before it. Expand
  10. E7-2521
    Feb 17, 2007
    I expected so much more from Mark Steven Johnson. I really thought he'd be on his way to the A-list. I loved Daredevil and the director's cut of that film is even better. I do know "how" to watch films and suspend disbelief, but Ghost Rider just can't be recommended. It's all so cheesy. But that aspect was expected. It's just not well crafted on every level. I I expected so much more from Mark Steven Johnson. I really thought he'd be on his way to the A-list. I loved Daredevil and the director's cut of that film is even better. I do know "how" to watch films and suspend disbelief, but Ghost Rider just can't be recommended. It's all so cheesy. But that aspect was expected. It's just not well crafted on every level. I think it's appeal is really for 4 - 10 year old kids only. If the screenplay was revised by Joe Lansdale, this could have been special. But I'm dreaming. Pluses: I couldn't take my eyes off Eva Mendes. And the end credits song is really awesome. I found the Christopher Young score on Amazon, but that doesn't include the song. At this time I can't locate the name of the artist and song. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks Expand
  11. MLee
    Feb 18, 2007
    It was alright. Don't go to this flcik expecting Spiderman, or X-Men. It's a solid and fun movie. Plain and simple. It's somewhere above X-Men The Last Stand, but below Blade 2 and Daredevil. If you go in expecting the level of FF, or Hulk, you'll be greatly surprised...
  12. MarcoP.
    Feb 19, 2007
    As comic book movies go, this one feels nestled between Elektra and Blade Trinity. I know that's not exactly saying much, but if that kind of mindless comic book movie does it for you then by all means enjoy Ghost Rider. I liked it for all its campiness and humor but for those hoping for it to be along the same lines as the best in the genre, look elsewhere. I did like Nic As comic book movies go, this one feels nestled between Elektra and Blade Trinity. I know that's not exactly saying much, but if that kind of mindless comic book movie does it for you then by all means enjoy Ghost Rider. I liked it for all its campiness and humor but for those hoping for it to be along the same lines as the best in the genre, look elsewhere. I did like Nic Cage's take on Johnny Blaze and Eva Mendes as always looks stunning (if not a little confused the entire time). Add in some neat-o familiar faces like Peter Fonda and Sam Elliott and it just gets better in a "what were they thinking?" kinda way. The FX also aren't as bad as many would have you believe, and the music definately adds some much needed oomph about halfay through the film. I guess you could say I liked it. All in all it's a fine popcorn movie and easily better than some efforts Nic Cage has made lately. (Wicker Man anyone? "The BEES! No! Not the BEES!") LOL I would even say it's worth seeing more than once in the theater just to see the final showdown between ol' Ghosty and Blackheart. Sure it's not the best film out there right now in the cineplexes (Pan's Labyrinth if it's still playing in a theater near you is definately worth checking out) but it makes for very passable entertainment. I give it 6/10. Expand
  13. DME
    Jun 11, 2012
    Ghost Rider is nothing special and it's definitely not a superhero movie, but it's an above-par action flick that's worth seeing on a rainy day.
  14. Feb 28, 2011
    Nothing really to recommend here, the acting is sub-standard, the action scenes are stationary and the whole film takes ages to get going. For a superhero action flick, this misses the mark by a long shot, but for the special effects alone, it's worth a look.
  15. Aug 28, 2014
    I expected a far better movie, and ended up disappointed. Haven't read the comics, so I can't tell if the movie would have been better/worse with knowledge from them.

The visuals weren't stunning, the plot was great but somehow lacking a lot - not to speak of things that were never really explained and others that just didn't seem to click (at this point I'm sure reading comics would help).

I have seen better Marvel-based movies, really.
  16. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm watching the second part and be awful, but this first part is better (and much), have mistakes, but the most better things are the action scenes, is not the best title, but is a good film. Yes better than the second part.
  17. Feb 2, 2015
    Ghost Rider is poorly acted and badly scripted but is partially made up for with it's somewhat decent effects. The directing is weak and Nicholas Cage is terrible as usual.
  18. May 28, 2013
    Sadly, the only good part about this movie is the Ghost Rider himself, the rest of the movie, with the story, co-characters, and enemies, are just plain boring and useless.
  19. Jan 2, 2014
    I don't know what is more ridiculous, the fact that this spawned a sequel or the rug on Nicholas Cage's head. I was surprised to see the writer and director didn't go in a dark direction for this film and instead decided to go camp and over-the-top.
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    Ghost Rider is dead inside.
    A very cool, refreshing concept to a superhero movie executed with poor negligence. It is only successful at its special effects, but is an udder catastrophe with acting and dialogue.
  21. Jul 25, 2015
    Alla we will see a new movie Out of Marvel and say that of the Ghost Rider is bad ?. If it was checked . And do not come to know that Nicolas Cage chose that as bad role of Johnny Blaze , as well as other Nicolas Cage Sorry , you're my favorite actor, but as bad papers did!

The movie's last words are "This is how legends are born." Make that stillborn, because when the makers of this one pitch the sequel, the only answer is going to be, "Ah HA HA HA!"
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Ghost Rider is the kind of movie that's great stupid fun as long as someone else is buying the tickets.
    Marvel-man Mark Steven Johnson, who wrote and directed "Daredevil" (2003) and scripted "Elektra" (2005), continues to demonstrate the wrong way to make comic book movies: Make sure special effects overwhelm the characters, let campy mannerisms go unchecked and be sure dialogue is declaimed rather than spoken.