5.3

1. Apr 8, 2013
    wasn't sure if it was possible for them to make a worse sequel that the 1st movie where they blow the ice caps and they sink....but turns out i was wrong, pure garbage movie, the action was awful, the acting was awful, they was nothing worth while in this movie.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Like with the first film, Storm Shadow was crazy awesome. For all the liberties they took with characters and how far off they all are, they absolutely nailed Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes was also well done, though a silent character is much easier to pull off. The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it.
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it. Horrible dialogue and cheesy lines that made me cringe more times than I can remember. Cobra Commander was poorly done and Firefly was awful. One of the worst plots I have seen for a film from this genre and even the worst episodes of the dated cartoon series did a better job.
  3. Apr 8, 2013
    I'll begin by stating that I am not familiar with the G.I. Joe franchise. However, it doesn't take a G.I. Joe fan to recognize that pretty special effects can't save a film oozing with stale characters and a pathetic script.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like this version. The actor not good. I don' t know what happens with Duke. The first version was very very very better that this version... Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    Having enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, bothHaving enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, both heroes and villains are damn clowns and action scenes are mostly dull with lots of shaky-cam awkwardness. I wish I didn't spend money on this circus, and I definitely can't recommend anyone to watch this piece of nonsense. (metacritic edited out 10 or so curse words in my review, that's a shame) Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2013
    This movie is a joke! The story is messed up, there is no character development, the graphics are somewhat outdated and the jokes are forced and are corny. One of the most-hyped movies that turned out to be garabage. I gave it a 2 because I'm generous today. If you love GI Joe as a child and want to preserve your childhood, be warned. This movie is a nightmare. Beware!
  7. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie yesterday. I was looking forward to it having enjoyed Rise of Cobra. But I didn't. The one thing that killed this movie for me, was the death of Duke. This wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't the main character of the FIRST movie! I kept telling myself, he'll come back, he'll still be alive, he'll make a comeback. But it was not to be. the fact they tried to make me relate to characters that I didn't know is incredulous. The exclusion of Ripcord and loads of other people from Rise, and the lack of the technology also seen in Rise, it just killed it. I would've liked to have seen the Baroness come back as well, as a good guy, but nooo. I got all hyped up for this film and it let me down. Badly. Don't bother buying tickets for it, don't buy the DVD. Rise of Cobra is just better, even if it too wasn't the best movie in the world.

I admit, there were good bits, but there were too many bad bits. So many cons, that I cannot begin to describe them all.

I would've been better off watching The Croods.
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    You seriously have to be a 5 year old or an idiot to like this movie. It's got some STUPID actors and actresses, terrible graphics, and a plot line straight from a 3 year old's mouth. Just a cash grab where they didn't even TRY to make a decent movie.
  9. Aug 3, 2013
    I would give this movie a solid "meh" review. I pretty much completely forgot it after I watched it. The biggest problem with this one was little tie in with the first movie, as well as only have a few actual focused GI Joe characters and pretty much a bunch of expendibles. The movie seemed to rush the plot, and was just rife with inaccuracies. I wouldn't even rate it eye candy, it was meh.
  10. Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, the strongest most elite army in the world gets wiped out with 6 granades.
    A movie so badly written, that the only thing enjoyable are the explotions ,because even the Ninja characters, do everything....except act like Ninjas.
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    I realize you have to give lots of allowances for most action films, but damn. Plenty of boom, explosions, robot fireflies that pack the punch of a couple sticks of dynamite, but what kills this movie is the unbelievably insipid dialogue.
    Those of us old enough to recall the glory days of those wretched Hanna/Barbera cartoons, with the horrible animation, minimalist background and dialogue meant for the kiddies will get a memory nudge from this sequel. Imagine "Johnny Quest" but with worse acting.
    Sometimes action films can be a catharsis, some mindless entertainment on an otherwise dull day, but this film left me feeling like a redneck gun nut who acts patriotic until it's time to put up or shut up. As banal as any movie can get.
  12. Apr 28, 2013
    I'm sorry but being someone who watched the cartoon series and the animated movie as a child, this movie just pissed on all of my childhood. Duke is the main character of the cartoon and is the best known and this movie shows three scenes with him and kill him off right at the beginning of the movie. This movie had little to no story and outside of one great action scene with Snake EyesI'm sorry but being someone who watched the cartoon series and the animated movie as a child, this movie just pissed on all of my childhood. Duke is the main character of the cartoon and is the best known and this movie shows three scenes with him and kill him off right at the beginning of the movie. This movie had little to no story and outside of one great action scene with Snake Eyes and Jinx the rest of it was a bore. I felt dumber after watching this thing. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated that they killed off Channing Tatum!! One of the main characters right in the beginning it made the movie awful!! If they were going to kill him off they needed to do it at the end not at the very beginning! Expand
  14. Sep 30, 2013
    I saw this movie at my friends house and i got so bored that i turned of the TV and we did something else. I didn't see the whole movie but i saw enough to know that it was one of the worst movies of the year. if you are a fan of action movies and you watch this film you will be really disappointed.
  15. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was never going to be a masterpiece but even so its still boring and disappointing, especially as they kill off the most interesting character in my opinion. (Mouse, Joseph Mazzello) The franchise was in trouble when they can't get the original cast back. A shame because the Rock seems like a nice bloke but he keeps making terrible films. Expand
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is bad but not terrible. Good crowd scenes and special effects, fights and explosions. He places an exciting but very stupid. The story and the script is very bad, almost none of the actors were not the first film.
  17. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. where do I begin. well first of all duke dying from a car explosion at the beginning, what were they doing killing of the main character right away???. second I was hoping that whole plot twist of the first one would be better, but the f###king guy was storm shadows old master, WTF???. third WTF storm shadow you cant help you enemy and just walk away and betray cobra command. fourth why did the cobra commander fly away at the end, what a b###H. this move deserves a negative rating, I hope this is the last G.I joe movie for a long time. fifth why was this movie delayed and in 3d Collapse
  18. May 3, 2014
    Throwing away almost everthing from the first movie without giving it room to grow, this sequel is more of a reset, leaving the Joes no memory of what their mission is.
  19. Jul 11, 2015
    2/5★ A step up from its cartoonishly awful prequel, Retaliation is just bad.
    Its got a few good action scenes, and a laconic Bruce Willis is always a pleasure, but otherwise its a rather loud, stupid movie.
    Verdict: For mindless action fans and GI Joe nostalgists.

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Apr 3, 2013
    There actually is some clever dialogue in the film, especially early on between Roadblock and Duke (Tatum). But this fades over the course of the film, and too much of what the characters say sounds as though it’s been lifted verbatim from 1930s and 1940s serials.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Apr 3, 2013
    This movie never realizes how ridiculous anything it does truly is, right up to the last-second promise of another sequel.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 1, 2013
    An action figure with a sweet core, Johnson can pump up the humanity of any franchise, whether he’s playing a stepdad who becomes a hero in Journey 2 or, as here, a stud soldier who treats Flint and Jaye like his grown children and shepherds them through peril. Following those younger Joes, the Retaliation audience is encouraged to clamber up on Johnson’s huge soldiers and go along for a pretty cool ride.