Columbia Pictures | Release Date: December 21, 1999
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 83 Ratings
Watch Now
j30Nov 27, 2011
Girl, Interrupted is the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for women. The film, powered by strong performances by Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie, grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go.
oxanaJan 3, 2015
I basically watched this to see Jared Leto's scenes. And I got so much more than I expected! I am not a great fan of Angelina Jolie, but her role in the movie is beyond perfect. Chaotic. Mad. Painful. Hurt. And Winona Ryder... Let's not goI basically watched this to see Jared Leto's scenes. And I got so much more than I expected! I am not a great fan of Angelina Jolie, but her role in the movie is beyond perfect. Chaotic. Mad. Painful. Hurt. And Winona Ryder... Let's not go there. She is damn good, too. The movie is perfect, in many ways, showing darker side of the humanity, madness, and life itself. Confusion, desperation, broken dreams and lives. Watch this movie. Expand
jimmytancrediDec 3, 2011
Itâ
TTW107Apr 6, 2012
Best role for Jolie, hands down. I'm more than shocked that the metacritic average is 51, it kind of pisses me off actually. I was glued to the tv set from start to finish. But I am one to drop everything out of my mind and get lost in aBest role for Jolie, hands down. I'm more than shocked that the metacritic average is 51, it kind of pisses me off actually. I was glued to the tv set from start to finish. But I am one to drop everything out of my mind and get lost in a movie. A must watch in my book. Expand
reviewfrom19842Jul 8, 2017
Girl, Interrupted has amazing performances from the whole cast with Angeline Jolie wining a Oscar. It's a good movie with amazing performances, characters you care about and a entertaining story.
RobertOBrienJul 15, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite it's amazing performances from all of the cast members, after reading the novel, this movie is not an insult to the novel, but an insult to the real life Lisa Rowe. They made her out to be a cold-blooded and harmful person, and also made it so that Lisa was the reason another character commits suicide.

None of that ever happened in the book. And because the book is based off real people, it's even worse. Angelina Jolie's performance is great, and the movie is able to avoid most of the cliches that movies about mental illnesses have. But I find it difficult to look past it's horrific misinterpretations of Lisa Rowe and other real life people.

As a fictional story, the film works, mainly thanks to all the amazing performances by Angelina Jolie, Winona Ryder, Clea Duvall, Angela Bettis, and the late Brittany Murphy. But it's a terrible rendition of Kaysen's novel and an even worse rendition of the real life people.

But similar to Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, though it fails as an adaptation, it works very well as a stand-alone story. Despite how much I harped on this film, I do really like it. It just loses points for what it made these people out to be. I'm not saying this movie is on par with a Kubrick film, because it's not. But before, and even after I read the novel, I thoroughly liked this film.
L490Oct 7, 2011
Great performance by Angeline Jolie, she is really great in playing intense characters. Movie in general was okey, liked the cast and the story. It is a movie that's worth watching.
SammyJan 1, 2006
Very good movie. Great actresses.
SylwiaP.Dec 10, 2005
The best film I have ever seen.
NatC.Jan 24, 2006
Painfull life turned into amazing book turned into great well acted/ thoughtout film! top knoch!