Magnet Releasing | Release Date: May 11, 2012
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 109 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RedrealSep 24, 2012
Funny, sad and twisted , brought up some very valid points with today's society. Although I cannot condone murder I understand the point of the movie.
EnpatsuNov 3, 2013
A good movie for present the american mentality. Main story is a bit strange but funny. I realy enjoyed this movie and laugh at some parts but the ending could be better
JoshRobertsApr 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God bless America is easily, in my opinion, one of the best combinations of Dark Comedy and Drama I have seen in Years. Watching this film was a great Experience, and it was easily one of the best independent films I have ever seen. The Plot is a dark spiral of Hilarious Insanity and Turmoil, filled with some of the best Social and Political Commentary, Exquisitely handled Themes, and Ridiculously dark (And Funny) Shock Humor, a good example being in a fantasy scene where the Protagonist imagines killing his neighbors, and shoots their baby with a 12 Gauge shotgun when The Mother tries to use it as a Human Shield. In my opinion, there are two major selling points to this film. One is the Social Commentary, and overarching theme. Which portrays a man seeking to rid the world of Stupidity and, seeing how he thinks he is dying, develops a sort of Jigsaw Complex, which drives him to make a difference by eradicating the source of it, albeit in a very Morally Ambiguous way. While i don't Condone the actions, it is something that could be debated if this sort of action could be considered something that could be a step in the right direction or not, which is one of the highlights of the Film. The other reason why this Movie is worth watching is the Female Protagonist. This is easily one of the best Characters I have ever seen, which is also eloquently portrayed by the Actress's skill to emote, and convey with subtlety. She's Independent, Insane, and wants to see idiocy destroyed, and she's the best Driving Force to help Frank find the strength to stand up for his cause. The Ending is exquisite, being reminiscent of Bonnie and Clyde, combining with them going out in an absolute blaze of glory, being the rebels against stupidity. Also, the plot has a great way of connecting all the events in a relatively seamless way, and does a great job at keeping everything coherent for a Comedy. Naturally, though, there are a few problems. The Dialogue can be a little stilted, some of the jokes don't hit bulls-eyes, and the Social Commentary, to some, will be offensive, but honestly, it needs to be. This is a great statement about where we are headed, and how we need someone to stand up for intelligence and decency, albeit in a more...... diplomatic way. But honestly, if Frank and Rory came through, and asked me to join with them, I would. It might not be the most ethical thing, but at least someone would be trying. Over all, this Film is exquisite, and honestly, I love every second of it, and easily gets my Seal of Approval.

God Bless America is My Pick for the Best Modern Dramatic Comedy Ever Made.
hodubJul 21, 2012
Just finished watching the DVD after picking it up at my local Blockbuster. I admit I feel a bit guilty watching this just two days after the latest tragedy in Colorado. But I don't believe Goldthwait's intention was to turn his audience intoJust finished watching the DVD after picking it up at my local Blockbuster. I admit I feel a bit guilty watching this just two days after the latest tragedy in Colorado. But I don't believe Goldthwait's intention was to turn his audience into homicidal maniacs. I think his intention was to express frustration and discontent with the malaise that is our current American culture, albeit in an exaggerated manner. Nonetheless, I can empathize with said frustration of the film's antiheroes. Now the hard part for me isn't resisting the urge to go on a killing spree, with America's most conceited, bigoted, self-absorbed idiots out there as targets. The hard part is willingness to throw my Android phone off a bridge into the water below. Either way, I find God Bless America to be the most entertaining film of 2012 so far. Expand
EdmankMay 17, 2012
One of the best movies of the year in my opinion. While the story is not easy to take seriously, its not meant to. The plot relays a message that needs to be said about todays society. The break out performance by Tara Lynne Barr isOne of the best movies of the year in my opinion. While the story is not easy to take seriously, its not meant to. The plot relays a message that needs to be said about todays society. The break out performance by Tara Lynne Barr is phenomenal. I enjoyed every second of this movie. *note this movie will not go over with you as well if you are 1) a Santorum style republican 2) A member of the Real housewives show 3) a member of the Westboro Baptist church. Im Commander Shepherd and this is my favorite movie on the citadel. Expand
valid8Jul 8, 2012
I personally enjoyed this one...

I personally enjoyed this one...

It kinda reminded me of Falling Dawn with Michael Douglas (if you haven't seen it, and liked this one, I seriously advise you to watch it :), only that the main characters where pretty much sane through the whole part of the movie, and what they where doing was the right thing to do in a decaying materialistic brainwashed society like America...Overall it could have been written somewhat better, but the package still delivers till the end which by the way was also IMHO rightfully inevitable.
csw12Jan 27, 2013
God Bless America is one of the most unrealistic movies I have ever seen. The movie has its ups and downs but when you strip away everything, the movie has a profound and true statement; that this country is completely screwed up today.
DalekJun 23, 2012
This movie is hilarious. Killing the ones who deserve it. Just perfect.
Apemonkey666Jul 8, 2012
This film is a satirical **** You' to American mainstream media, their intollerant right-wing patriotic society and the general retarded simple-mindedness of people. It does this without being too preachy or without coming of as left wingThis film is a satirical **** You' to American mainstream media, their intollerant right-wing patriotic society and the general retarded simple-mindedness of people. It does this without being too preachy or without coming of as left wing propaganda. You could call it a road movie, and the pace isn't very high but the acting of the 2 main characters is simply exellent. And the scenes where the **** of the world' get gunned down are just so much fun they alone almost make watching this little gem worthwhile. Highly recommended! Expand
muse6May 15, 2012
A searing indictment of current American culture that is at times funny, sad, and terrifying. The action in God Bless America is almost cartoonish in its presentation, but the message is serious and clear - America is becoming an angryA searing indictment of current American culture that is at times funny, sad, and terrifying. The action in God Bless America is almost cartoonish in its presentation, but the message is serious and clear - America is becoming an angry nation where bigotry, sensationalism and selfishness rule. This film is a call for kindness, albeit delivered with a sledgehammer. See it with someone you love. Expand
cylentstormMar 14, 2015
It's a well-deserved and darkly comic slap in the face to a mostly-hollow and superficial society. Is it the best flick that I've ever seen? Not really. I love it anyway. God Bless America jerks you out of your comfort zone, and that isIt's a well-deserved and darkly comic slap in the face to a mostly-hollow and superficial society. Is it the best flick that I've ever seen? Not really. I love it anyway. God Bless America jerks you out of your comfort zone, and that is something that I think everyone needs--whether they like it or not.

Frank: "It's the same type of freak-show distraction that comes along every time a mighty empire starts collapsing. "American Superstarz" is the new colosseum and I won't participate in watching a show where the weak are torn apart every week for our entertainment."
LeZeeMar 9, 2017
Nabbing a few bad fellows along while saying goodbye to the world.

Nabbing a few bad fellows along while saying goodbye to the world.

Well, I did not expect it to be this good, even after knowing it was praised by many. From the writer, director of 'World's Greatest Dad'. Another black comedy and this even better. About an ordinary middle aged divorcée who hates everything around him, but could not do anything about it. One day when he got fired from his job, followed by discovering he has a tumor, he thinks to put an end his life right away. But then decides to do cleanup the society before his time comes up. Hence begins the path of violence, later a young woman joins him and how long it all goes was briefed.

Seems very familiar, but still worked so good. It's not your 'Bonnie and Clyde' or 'Pretty Poison'. In fact, you can drag as many titles as you can, but still it is quite simple and entertaining. Obviously predictable, including the main twist and several scenes, but the rhythm of the narration was great, keeps us hooked to it for the way it was filmed. It's not about the moral science. It is pretty much a confused or misunderstood situation based theme, especially the conclusion clears out that. So if you don't care anything about those things, particularly in a film, then it is for you.

Unfamiliar faces, but they both in the lead were excellent. The same film with some popular stars would have made a better headline and collection. Not seen quite a nice B film like this in the recent time. I got what I wanted from a film. Especially for a small film like this its exemption in a few areas due to the tight budget, but this film did not have any trouble, just amazing. Yeah, a well made film, from writing to direction, performances, this is a decent hidden gem of its kind.

JeanDuchampJan 13, 2016
Gorgeous! A brilliant satire on the modern society. I'm really happy to have seen at last something genuine and truly funny at once. A real gem, for all who esteem a good dark comedy and not alien to traditional values.
DeputyDoomJun 19, 2016
This is easily the best movie ever created. From the writing and casting to the acting, music and symbolism, this film is honest about the destructive and cruel nature of our society, and the unwillingness of most to do anything about it.This is easily the best movie ever created. From the writing and casting to the acting, music and symbolism, this film is honest about the destructive and cruel nature of our society, and the unwillingness of most to do anything about it.
This film is not meant to be taken literally - if you are offended, you clearly don't get it. It is a brilliant piece of social commentary that I think should be required viewing for every American over the age of 15.
Brilliant from start to finish.