7.3

1. May 17, 2012
    One of the best movies of the year in my opinion. While the story is not easy to take seriously, its not meant to. The plot relays a message that needs to be said about todays society. The break out performance by Tara Lynne Barr is phenomenal. I enjoyed every second of this movie. *note this movie will not go over with you as well if you are 1) a Santorum style republican 2) A member ofOne of the best movies of the year in my opinion. While the story is not easy to take seriously, its not meant to. The plot relays a message that needs to be said about todays society. The break out performance by Tara Lynne Barr is phenomenal. I enjoyed every second of this movie. *note this movie will not go over with you as well if you are 1) a Santorum style republican 2) A member of the Real housewives show 3) a member of the Westboro Baptist church. Im Commander Shepherd and this is my favorite movie on the citadel. Expand
  2. Jun 23, 2012
    This movie is hilarious. Killing the ones who deserve it. Just perfect.
  3. May 15, 2012
    A searing indictment of current American culture that is at times funny, sad, and terrifying. The action in God Bless America is almost cartoonish in its presentation, but the message is serious and clear - America is becoming an angry nation where bigotry, sensationalism and selfishness rule. This film is a call for kindness, albeit delivered with a sledgehammer. See it with someone you love.
  4. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God bless America is easily, in my opinion, one of the best combinations of Dark Comedy and Drama I have seen in Years. Watching this film was a great Experience, and it was easily one of the best independent films I have ever seen. The Plot is a dark spiral of Hilarious Insanity and Turmoil, filled with some of the best Social and Political Commentary, Exquisitely handled Themes, and Ridiculously dark (And Funny) Shock Humor, a good example being in a fantasy scene where the Protagonist imagines killing his neighbors, and shoots their baby with a 12 Gauge shotgun when The Mother tries to use it as a Human Shield. In my opinion, there are two major selling points to this film. One is the Social Commentary, and overarching theme. Which portrays a man seeking to rid the world of Stupidity and, seeing how he thinks he is dying, develops a sort of Jigsaw Complex, which drives him to make a difference by eradicating the source of it, albeit in a very Morally Ambiguous way. While i don't Condone the actions, it is something that could be debated if this sort of action could be considered something that could be a step in the right direction or not, which is one of the highlights of the Film. The other reason why this Movie is worth watching is the Female Protagonist. This is easily one of the best Characters I have ever seen, which is also eloquently portrayed by the Actress's skill to emote, and convey with subtlety. She's Independent, Insane, and wants to see idiocy destroyed, and she's the best Driving Force to help Frank find the strength to stand up for his cause. The Ending is exquisite, being reminiscent of Bonnie and Clyde, combining with them going out in an absolute blaze of glory, being the rebels against stupidity. Also, the plot has a great way of connecting all the events in a relatively seamless way, and does a great job at keeping everything coherent for a Comedy. Naturally, though, there are a few problems. The Dialogue can be a little stilted, some of the jokes don't hit bulls-eyes, and the Social Commentary, to some, will be offensive, but honestly, it needs to be. This is a great statement about where we are headed, and how we need someone to stand up for intelligence and decency, albeit in a more...... diplomatic way. But honestly, if Frank and Rory came through, and asked me to join with them, I would. It might not be the most ethical thing, but at least someone would be trying. Over all, this Film is exquisite, and honestly, I love every second of it, and easily gets my Seal of Approval.

God Bless America is My Pick for the Best Modern Dramatic Comedy Ever Made.

1. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    Jul 2, 2012
    Part road trip, part revenge movie, this is a tentative tale of a man who's not going to take it anymore, sharp on the fallibility of human foibles and sometimes stingingly funny, too.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    May 31, 2012
    Although several great speeches and hilarious one-liners goose the film, God Bless America nevertheless peaks too early and becomes rather one-note.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 18, 2012
    The good news: This is Goldthwait the writer-director, not Goldthwait the actor -- so there's no schticky voice to endure. But his exceedingly black comedy does speak loudly -- and it turns out he's actually got something worthwhile to say.