7.2

1. Aug 28, 2010
    a film for the fans of the original godzilla films . this fixes the damage abit that was caused by hollywoods remake in 1998. if you have never wached a godzilla film or ever saw a godzilla film you probubly should pass.
  2. Riren
    Mar 5, 2007
    Don't bother to see this movie if you don't like Godzilla-type movies. Also, don't bother to see this movie on anything than a big screen television. This is all about scale and nostalgia. In terms of giant monster movies starring rubber suited monsters, with a human cast that's mostly there to explain the beasts are going to tangle, this is a real treat, especially in Don't bother to see this movie if you don't like Godzilla-type movies. Also, don't bother to see this movie on anything than a big screen television. This is all about scale and nostalgia. In terms of giant monster movies starring rubber suited monsters, with a human cast that's mostly there to explain the beasts are going to tangle, this is a real treat, especially in a theatre. It's big, old goofy grin of a guilty pleasure movie, and once the fights kick in, you know which side you're on. The American importers redid the soundtrack to include the classic Godzilla tunes, which significantly helps its fan-value. Expand
  3. MarkM.
    Jul 4, 2002
    GREAT!!!!! I'm not a fan of the japanese rubber menace as a matter a fact I despised him but then my brother made me see it and I became a godzilla fanatic and now after seeing 15 godzilla movies I now hate,thats right HATE!!! godzilla1998 cgi version godzilla flick. My only complaint to godzilla 2000 the ending speech which is the king of cheesy speeches of all time.
  4. BillS.
    Jan 20, 2004
    Godzilla is one of those things you either look back on fondly from your childhood, or you don't. For those who 'get' Godzilla and have that fascination for the rubber suits, the elaborate pyrotechnics, the pounding musical theme and imperfect dubbing, GODZILLA 2000 was a milestone and a blast to experience in the big theater. If there's one lesson to be learned here, Godzilla is one of those things you either look back on fondly from your childhood, or you don't. For those who 'get' Godzilla and have that fascination for the rubber suits, the elaborate pyrotechnics, the pounding musical theme and imperfect dubbing, GODZILLA 2000 was a milestone and a blast to experience in the big theater. If there's one lesson to be learned here, it's that a giant monster movie looks best on the giant screen. Most critics are rather ignorant of Godzilla 'lore', so little of why this film was made comes out. A quick check of the Meta-score of Tristar's farcical GODZILLA (1998) failure gives you the answer you need. Toho wanted to reclaim Godzilla and rebuild the character/mythos after the embarrassment by the former ID4 creators. GODZILLA 2000 (called GOJIRA MILLENIUM in Japan) is a lively and well paced mix of 'monster vs. monster' and 'Godzilla introduction' style storylines. A large portion of the film sets up Godzilla as the occasional rampaging force of nature, while a smaller part is spent setting up conflict with a techno-alien menace (called Orga in Japan but not specifically identified in this film). Many original ideas keep this film from falling into too many plot device cliches for monster flicks (a tough balancing act given all the similar films that have come out of Toho before this). One such nice touch is the blackout when Godzilla first make land with scampering people and emergency vehicles in the foreground. So while the dubbing will earn some sneers (it was intentional, if you check the DVD commentary), overall "G2K" ushered in a new era of Toho Godzilla films that have continued to keep a high standard going for those of us who enjoy this genre. Subsequent entries have gone straight to DVD, but are just now becoming available: GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS, GODZILLA-MOTHRA-KING GHIDORA and soon GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA. Expand
  5. MattM.
    Jul 27, 2001
    Easily one of the worst films ever made. Stupid, lame, dumb, and cheesy as all hell! Avoid it at all costs!!
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Godzilla 2000:7 out of 10: Promoted with a kick ass trailer (which was infinitely better than the film itself) Godzilla 2000 roared into theaters a few years back on a mission to erase the memory of "that American Godzilla". For many of us it would be the first time seeing a Japanese Godzilla on the big screen. (I may have seen Godzilla 1985 in the theater but my memory is a bit fuzzy).Godzilla 2000:7 out of 10: Promoted with a kick ass trailer (which was infinitely better than the film itself) Godzilla 2000 roared into theaters a few years back on a mission to erase the memory of "that American Godzilla". For many of us it would be the first time seeing a Japanese Godzilla on the big screen. (I may have seen Godzilla 1985 in the theater but my memory is a bit fuzzy). Turns out while there is something charming about watching a Godzilla film in your pj's every Saturday morning during Million Dollar Movie on channel 9 a lot of that love disappears when you plopped down seven-fifty. (It also helps needless to say when I watched Godzilla movies every Saturday morning it was 1978 and I was ten.)

The movie starts out strong enough with a couple of brilliant scenes that ape both Twister and Jurassic Park. You got to love them Godzilla tornado chasers and when the big guy himself blocks a tunnel and breathes on the windshield it is the pinnacle of Godzilla film-making.

It of course is all downhill from there. For one thing Godzilla himself pretty much disappears from the movie. He is replaced by a pet rock. Yes a completely inanimate object. Needless to say the fidget factor is high. Add in subplots you couldn't care less about and characters more irritating than anything else and you would be excused for reaching for the fast forward button. (Much easier at home than in the theater)

Godzilla reappears and the rock, which has planted itself on top of a building and is apparently downloading all the contents of Tokyo's computers, shows its true colors as an alien that resembles of all things "that American Godzilla". Godzilla certainly doesn't stand by and lets some illegal alien destroy Tokyo. No way some wetback union busting scab is going to muscle in on big greens action. Destroying Tokyo is Godzilla's personal gig.

The effects are actually pretty good (with the exception of the underwater scenes) and the dubbing is particularly bad (even for a Godzilla film. It is also strangely profanity laden especially considering Godzilla himself doesn't kill anyone on screen.) The last scene however is a true "What the F**k" moment with one of the silliest lines ever uttered on film. It made me feel ten years old all over again.

Brand-new and uproariously unimproved.
    For all the high-tech allusions and middle-tech illusions, the movie--the 23rd in an immortal series--draws its power from its grittiness and unresolved allegory.
  3. Lands on an imaginative fault line somewhere between tackiness and awe.