7.6

1. msc
    Mar 1, 2008
    Wow what a HORRIBLE MOVIE!!! Monotone dialogue, cliche story. Embarrassing for both Affleck's!
  2. DianaM.
    Nov 1, 2007
    Exactly one hour into "Gone Baby Gone" a brain-numbing, dog ear-twitching screech sang out across the theater. I looked 'round the seats, and to my left wrist, and realized that film had come to a shocking, sudden halt. But...no...no...here we go...it slowly started up again, like the T departing Ashmont station, and continued on for a complete second hour, before finally docking in Exactly one hour into "Gone Baby Gone" a brain-numbing, dog ear-twitching screech sang out across the theater. I looked 'round the seats, and to my left wrist, and realized that film had come to a shocking, sudden halt. But...no...no...here we go...it slowly started up again, like the T departing Ashmont station, and continued on for a complete second hour, before finally docking in a not-believable, yet still debate-inducing, last few scenes. Now, I'm not prepared to say Ben Affleck's direction is straight bad. In fact, the first half is actually pretty good, combining different cut styles, varied pacing, and a knock-out performance from Amy Madigan (PS. engrave her name on an Oscar). But once the plot starts twisting, it's like a snake in Affleck's hands. Even Casey's performance veers off into boredom. Ultimately, the film's only saving grace is the philosophical question it poses: What is "best" for a child, and who gets to decide? But even that plays out in a kind of surreality which never makes clear why a woman like Helene would get to keep her child, and how the kidnappers thought they'd get away with it. As for the setting, Affleck does a great job at protraying the true grit of Boston's outskirts (an image I hope its residents soon attempt to improve). Based on his name, he's got a long directorial career ahead of him, and based on the first half of "Gone Baby Gone," he's got potential to work with. Expand
  3. GregB
    Jan 6, 2008
    This is not an original movie. This is almost an exact copy of "Along Came a Spider." I had to ask myself for a refund cause it bored me and the plot was so obvious.
  4. RobspiS.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Major flaw-if Affleck's character was so morally righteous to expose Freeman and his associates, why does he hide the fact he murdered a man by shooting him in the back of the head?
  5. MichelleC
    Jul 20, 2008
    This movie is pretty bad. It was slow, drawn out had too many twists that were not really twists and it was just plain boring. The only good part (which earned it a 3) was the end where it forced you to think about your own moral compass and which way it would have pointed you. It also shows the nature of people thinking they know what's best for other people. I like movies that have This movie is pretty bad. It was slow, drawn out had too many twists that were not really twists and it was just plain boring. The only good part (which earned it a 3) was the end where it forced you to think about your own moral compass and which way it would have pointed you. It also shows the nature of people thinking they know what's best for other people. I like movies that have a point but I didn't like having to suffer through this movie only to see the point in the last 5 minutes. Expand
  6. chrisc
    Feb 25, 2008
    This movie is not very good. at all.
  7. TomO
    Apr 27, 2008
    People who reacted negatively to Gone Baby Gone are probably missing the point. It's not about plot twists, or predictability, or the fact that the story is dark. ( Review from Chris ) How can you skip over these points.I thought films made you want to watch them not endure them.Gone Baby Gone is predictable, dragged out and has more plot holes than a swiss cheese. Yes it did provoke People who reacted negatively to Gone Baby Gone are probably missing the point. It's not about plot twists, or predictability, or the fact that the story is dark. ( Review from Chris ) How can you skip over these points.I thought films made you want to watch them not endure them.Gone Baby Gone is predictable, dragged out and has more plot holes than a swiss cheese. Yes it did provoke some thought at the end and for that it get 3 points. The other 90% of the film unfortunately fits into my most hated category. Not quite bad enough to laugh at not good enough to be immersed in or taken somewhere. I would say avoid this film however I am fairly sure my review will not be popular. Expand
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    This was one of the most overrated movies I've ever watched. I was excited to watch it based on the reviews and accolades, and I really enjoyed Mystic River (the novel by Dennis Lehane), but I thought Gone Baby Gone was absolutely horrendous and it blows my mind that people actually think the plot was realistic or plausible in any way. Are you people crazy? The captain and 2 cops concoct aThis was one of the most overrated movies I've ever watched. I was excited to watch it based on the reviews and accolades, and I really enjoyed Mystic River (the novel by Dennis Lehane), but I thought Gone Baby Gone was absolutely horrendous and it blows my mind that people actually think the plot was realistic or plausible in any way. Are you people crazy? The captain and 2 cops concoct a plan to kidnap a woman's daughter to give her a better life? In what world can you just kidnap a girl and have her go to school and live the rest of her life and never be caught?
    If they cared so much about the little girl, enough to go through with this absolutely ridiculous plan, why not just come by the house and babysit once in awhile? Contribute financially? Get her some piano lessons? Wait a few years and see if the mom improves? Let history take it's course? There are plenty of people who grow up in horrible neighborhoods with horrible parents and still manage to do OK in life, are we supposed to kidnap all these kids and have them live with Morgan Freeman? Could they come up with SOMETHING besides kidnapping the girl???

And what are the chances this girl WANTS to be kidnapped and ends up being so unbelievably happy living a new life with some stranger she's never met? Seriously? Is this a joke????? How did this movie not get torn apart by every single critic in the world? Can someone please tell me I'm not crazy in thinking this is one of the dumbest movies ever made?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the acting was completely over the top. Casey Affleck was incredibly dull as well. There were some decent moments from Ed Harris, other than that the acting was mediocre at best.
  9. Jun 18, 2015
    I accidentally watched this movie last night and I couldn't sleep and wished I never watched it! I couldn't get that poor dead child's image out of my mind and I was happy he shot that guy I wish they had shot all of them earlier that day maybe the child would have been alive still. But what upset me most about this movie was the outcome! I know how every thing was went about was wrongI accidentally watched this movie last night and I couldn't sleep and wished I never watched it! I couldn't get that poor dead child's image out of my mind and I was happy he shot that guy I wish they had shot all of them earlier that day maybe the child would have been alive still. But what upset me most about this movie was the outcome! I know how every thing was went about was wrong like in the real world if they were so concerned with the little girls well being why couldn't they just call DCF and adopt her the right way? I am sure DCF wouldn't have a problem seeing how unfit she was, but after all that everyone went through I was so pissed that he made the little girl go back! I know it was wrong of them but what was done was done and why couldn't he just let the little girl be happy! then to show the mother still being a deadbeat and not caring about the little girl pissed me off even more!!! Had the movie just have ended with him deciding to leave her with the new family and checking in on her, I would have liked the movie but to end it with the mother still being a lousy excuse for a mom and him volunteering to babysit made me pissed at myself for watching and wasting my time on this film! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's a tribute to this thoughtful, deeply poignant, splendidly executed film that we replay the conclusion in our minds long after the lights come on.
  2. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Moral ambiguity is the real star of Ben Affleck's helming debut, Gone Baby Gone, an involving Boston-set tale of mixed motives, selflessness and perfidy in the wake of a 4-year-old girl's disappearance.
  3. Casey Affleck has never had a pedestal like the one his brother provides him, and he earns it. His Patrick is pale and raspy, with a slight grogginess that gives him an astounding vulnerability--and makes his bursts of temper shocking.