7.6

1. Apr 13, 2011
    How did Casey Affleck get a role for which he was quite clearly unsuited? What was the director thinking? Er...Oh.

A strangely-accented Affleck Junior is woefully miscast in this slightly clumsy, over-simplified version of the Dennis Lehane novel. Read the novel, if you like that kind of thing. Don't see the movie. One rare true note is struck by Amy Ryan who plays the conflicted,
    unsympathetic mother perfectly. Expand
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    This was one of the most overrated movies I've ever watched. I was excited to watch it based on the reviews and accolades, and I really enjoyed Mystic River (the novel by Dennis Lehane), but I thought Gone Baby Gone was absolutely horrendous and it blows my mind that people actually think the plot was realistic or plausible in any way. Are you people crazy? The captain and 2 cops concoct a plan to kidnap a woman's daughter to give her a better life? In what world can you just kidnap a girl and have her go to school and live the rest of her life and never be caught?
    If they cared so much about the little girl, enough to go through with this absolutely ridiculous plan, why not just come by the house and babysit once in awhile? Contribute financially? Get her some piano lessons? Wait a few years and see if the mom improves? Let history take it's course? There are plenty of people who grow up in horrible neighborhoods with horrible parents and still manage to do OK in life, are we supposed to kidnap all these kids and have them live with Morgan Freeman? Could they come up with SOMETHING besides kidnapping the girl???

And what are the chances this girl WANTS to be kidnapped and ends up being so unbelievably happy living a new life with some stranger she's never met? Seriously? Is this a joke????? How did this movie not get torn apart by every single critic in the world? Can someone please tell me I'm not crazy in thinking this is one of the dumbest movies ever made?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the acting was completely over the top. Casey Affleck was incredibly dull as well. There were some decent moments from Ed Harris, other than that the acting was mediocre at best.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's a tribute to this thoughtful, deeply poignant, splendidly executed film that we replay the conclusion in our minds long after the lights come on.
  2. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Moral ambiguity is the real star of Ben Affleck's helming debut, Gone Baby Gone, an involving Boston-set tale of mixed motives, selflessness and perfidy in the wake of a 4-year-old girl's disappearance.
  3. Casey Affleck has never had a pedestal like the one his brother provides him, and he earns it. His Patrick is pale and raspy, with a slight grogginess that gives him an astounding vulnerability--and makes his bursts of temper shocking.