6.5

1. Sep 11, 2014
    Lifeless mess of a comedy which totally screws up a murder mystery. And absolutely no sense of comic timing anywhere. I hated this the more I watched it.
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    Robert Altman and Julian Fellowes together create cinematic bliss with Gosford Park. The precursor to Downton Abbey, this film beautifully explores high-class England during the 1930s. Maggie Smith, Clive Owen and their cast mates make for engrossing entertainment.
  3. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the smartest films I have seen in a while. I found myself captivated by the drama surrounding these characters and by the numerous plot twists. The brilliant cast also contributes to making this the excellent film that it is.
  4. Jan 17, 2012
    No doubt GOSFORD PARK is Robert Altmanâ
  5. Feb 9, 2011
    I won't blame you for turning this movie off after the first hour. It has the LONGEST set up I have ever seen in a movie. Once the murder FINALLY happens is it all worth it? absolutely. It's intelligent and very well acted, with awesome twists and turns. The setting is also perfectly executed with scenery and costumes that are flawless. But the fact that I was, well, completely bored for the first portion of the movie means I simply cannot give this higher than an 8/10. See it and judge for yourself. Tedious start and a truly mesmerizing second half Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2010
    Billed as an elaborate murder-mystery, Gosford Park is not so much that (the murder doesn't occur until well over halfway through the film) but rather a dense societal study, as would be expected of Altman. In this endeavor he succeeds, creating a web of characters in which every passing interaction solidifies the whole ensemble. However, it fails to strike any dramatical nerve, and the unveiling of the mystery is delivered as more of a necessary exposition rather than a turning point. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    The movie is so fun that it wouldn't need the mystery to be top-notch entertainment.
    So deliciously absorbing and well done.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Taking advantage of a splendid cast, a sharply focused script and the fresh English setting, "Gosford Park" emerges as one of the most satisfying of Robert Altman's numerous ensemble pictures.