7.8

1. Oct 18, 2013
    You can live and feel the real emotions with Gravity. Sandra Bullock was in amazing role in this film, but at the end of the film I think we can see much more scenes after survive.. But still realistic, breathtaking story from space..
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    Simply breathtaking, intense drama and amazing picture. Just loved the unexpected turn of events. I find the movie very unique and it is definitely a must-see!
  3. Oct 21, 2013
    It's been a couple days since I saw the film, so I think I've had enough time for it to sink in.

The special effects were undoubtedly the star of the film to the same extent as Avatar, so it's basically 90% of the film. The story itself I found somewhat refreshing. And as far as general presentation goes, it's a great disaster flick, and I really appreciated that the creators slowed

The story itself I found somewhat refreshing. And as far as general presentation goes, it's a great disaster flick, and I really appreciated that the creators slowed down the pace to give it an authentic sense of emptiness and loneliness.

The script was hit-or-miss. The supporting actors were great. George Clooney was his typecasted, endearing rogue. I really enjoyed the small roles of the Chinese radio speakers on Earth. However, I found that Bullock, through no fault of her own, had a terrible script. I found that her character spoke TOO MUCH, especially given the circumstances. The writers rely too much on her speaking to reveal her inner thoughts, and this was by far the biggest flaw in the movie, in my opinion. I also found her character in general bland, and the writers are much too heavy-handed in their theme of religious salvation. Had the writers gone another route in this regard, this movie might very well have received a 10 from me.

So, in conclusion, I'd say that this movie excels at being a good thriller, but it's too dumb and annoying to achieve its goal of being anything approaching a masterpiece.
  4. Oct 24, 2013
    Mind boggling visuals, with fantastic acting. Gravity delivers on a much bigger scale then people have it out to be. For a majority of the film your treated to the beauties and disasters space can convey. Something so beautiful and wonderful cannot be taken for granted.
  5. Oct 27, 2013
    By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long butBy the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long but as some would say, oh that removes the art of this movie. YEAH WELL A CHARACTER THAT JUST ANGSTS FOR THE 2nd HALF OF THE MOVIE ISNT A FUN THING TO WATCH. Expand
  6. Oct 26, 2013
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra unfortunately Sandra Botoxy face killed the passion and compassion in this movie layoff botox sandra and this comes from a fan not a fan of clooney and to feel he gave life to the movie shows how un impressed i was with acting. to validate my points imagine
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra
    to validate my points imagine Susan Sarandon face in the movie and see what feelings you can get from her( this movie needed her eyes a human eyes that mirror the heart of struggling soul.

I am sci fi fan, and to make her hit the buttons randomly on the chines station was over the top.

i gave it 5 for space face only.
  7. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very excited to see this movie. I was pretty disappointed that the entire runtime consists of Sandra Bullock falling though space. Let me break it down for you.

Phase 1: Satellite she's working on gets blown up. She falls for a very long time until George catches her.
    Phase 2: They float toward their ship, which they know is blown up. After confirming their friend who they saw die is dead, they depart.
    Phase 3: They float toward another satellite. Shortly after arrival in blows up. Sandra escapes in a pod and begins floating toward yet another satellite.
    Phase 4: Sandra gets to said satellite and then floats to earth. THE END.

Nothing happened in this movie that made it stand out for me. The special effects are cool, but even those are few and far between that will really make you go, "Wow." I have no doubt this movie will continue receiving praise and will be Oscar material because it is very well made in the same way Lincoln was. It's a little sad that they didn't try to make it more interesting.

3/10 Would not bang.
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    Beautiful pictures, thrilling scenario, good actors performance but there is something missing...it is as if this was not true, in fact there is something not real in the movie, however I d not know what exactly.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    I saw this movie after seeing the critics off the chart ratings. It would have been better if I had lower expectations. All in all it is worth a look for the visual effects so make sure to see it in 3D and realize the plot is generic but entertaining.
  10. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really have to add a voice of sanity here, this film is fatally flawed. Did any of the reviewers ever do basic physics at school or play on a swing ?

At the critical point of the film, George Cluney's character is hanging on a tether and being PULLED away in a sustained fashion this simply cannot happen if you are weightless. Similarly, when Sandra Bullock's character is hurtling to earth subject to the g forces of re-entry her helmet is floating about weightless, who are the technical advisers here, Micky and Minnie mouse? I could just about get over that, if it were not for the acting of George Cluney, so he is about to die, be cast off into space and commit suicide and he is as jolly as a lamb in springtime am I the only person who finds this a little incongruous. As for the graphics, well the earth would not be out of focus when you are in wide shot at infinity and it was. Sandra's acting would have been a lot more believable if being a pilot, she knew which way a hatch opened and did not get thrown nearly into space TWICE by opening the door the wrong way gasp. For all of that, there were still some good space ship graphics and a nearly belivable plot, if a little simple.
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    Something is wrong here. How can 49 "official" critics can be positively unanimous about this movie ???
    Some of them calling this a masterpiece Come on. After the first stunning images and the opening scene, you can go home. All the rest is dull and pathetic.
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty decent movie. It's definitely fun to watch in most circumstances, and it's accurate enough for an imersive, gripping experience.

But in the end, we're literally looking at a movie that's two hours of Sandra Bullock screaming in space. And it doesn't take Buzz Aldrin or Neil Degrasse Tyson to point out why that's not deserving of an Oscar.
  13. Nov 6, 2013
    I saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESSI saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESS we're suppose to feel for because Oh! he's got a picture of his family. You can not throw a sentimental moment when you don't even show the persons back story! Then lets go with the rising action and such POINT A TO POINT B?! REALLY? Oscar worthy my ass. When you have a story that Does Not Show its just a point A To point B movie THAT'S A GOOD MOVIE. IT TAKES YOU ON AN ADVENTURE NOT DROLL FLOATING! Then the ending was the Worst ever. She doesn't even get home and you are to expect she does HOW?! shes in the lower hemisphere who the hell knows where she even is or if that shes alive!? 2 out of 10 Waste of my time. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    The visual effects were amazing. The audio was spectacular (especially with Dolby Atmos). The story line was pretty good, though not amazing. The movie flowed well, no sudden drop offs of excitement.

The movie wasn't perfect as far as being scientifically correct goes, but they did try to make it as realistic as possible.

Overall a great movie.
  15. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it isThis movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it is still an amazing movie. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2013
    Actually, the first time I went to the cinema for this film, I ran late and had to go and watch "Blue is the warmest color" instead. I was so disappointed at first, but in the end I am so glad I watched it, it was great. And now so disappointed by the vastly expected Gravity.
    Visually amazing, a 10/10 for the creation of this camera ballet in this zero gravity environment.
    BUT the script
    BUT the script is an 8/10 at most, and that only if you connect to the main characters emotionally, which didn't happen at all and leads to...
    a 5/10 for the acting performance and character building. Especially Bullock.
    I can't really say that I was moved with her stereotyped way of acting instead of being the character. And the so literal approach to her strong but deeply flawed character was as much obviously constructed and two-dimensional as that space dance was made visually plausible and real. So unsubtle. I can only dream what that movie could have been with a great actress like Cate Blanchet or Julianne Moore.
    Not to mention the flaws in the building of the actions chain that really causes overall disbelief. Bullock is key to the success or not of this film as a whole, and that didn't clicked well in the end.

So, in short, a visual 10/10, a script reduced to 7/10 because of the thin characters and improbability, a 5/10 for the acting performance makes an overall of 7/10.
    Too bad, it was greatly promising. Still a good film, nonetheless, but not a masterpiece.
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    The Goods:----------------
    Special effects, best implementation of 3D since Avatar, simple plot yet extremely engrossing, makes you feel like you are in space, great performance by Sandra Bullocks
    The Bads:--------------------- Too short ( 1Hr 20Min), the over obnoxious Goerge Clooney got a bit irritating with his lame space jokes even after such catastrophe occurred, the fact that
    The Goods:----------------

The Bads:---------------------
    Too short ( 1Hr 20Min), the over obnoxious Goerge Clooney got a bit irritating with his lame space jokes even after such catastrophe occurred, the fact that Sandra Bullock simply COULD NOT die ,lol, her actions were starting to get unbelievable and "bollywood" level towards the end......She has friggin 9000 lives ... As you can see, all my "Bads" are nitpicking....
    And those people talking about 1950s feminism of a female astronaut not being able to handle things like a man, pssfftttt Sandra's character is a doctor who got trained for 6 monthsONLY by NASA for this mission. If YOU WERE TRAINED FOR 6 YEARS U WOULD CRAP UR PANTS IF U WERE IN SANDRA's POSITION!
    Sorry for Caps, i got sick of the negative reviews out here...
    All in all, an awesome movie and my favorite for 2013
  18. Nov 9, 2013
    No doubt this movie is stunning but I think that the ploy was lacking you already know what was going to happen. There was barely any action and the moments of suspense weren't exciting Its a kind of movie i'd watch on Netflix or TV
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not worth the effort to watch. There was virtually no character development, very weak and almost non existent plot line, which in the end became incredibly predictable. The movie essentially came down to a cliche plot device, a female character with a pain riddled past who miraculously survives against all odds, and the laws of nature/science.

(SPOILERS) I want to make a particular note to the infuriating ending. Not only does she make a decision no one in their right mind would make (taking off her helmet in a burning cabin); she somehow manages to escape said cabin whilst its being filled with water. THEN, she still has enough oxygen left in her breath to swim out, take off the suit and beat the water pressure, all on a single breath. This is but one of the many irritating scenes of the film.

The only reason I gave this a 1/10 was just because of the spectacular visuals and the good use of cinematography, and surprisingly, one of the few films which actually made good use of the 3D projector technology, but this is not enough to justify what I can only assume a very high budget film.

DO NOT GO AND WATCH, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY!
  20. Dec 10, 2013
    The movie was alright, but the events are totally unbelievable. It had lots of intensity at first, then it got tedious. Cliche after cliche, unbelievable scene one after another, and a complete lack of a plot with substance. I can't grow attached to Sandra Bullock or George Clooney pretending to be astronauts, that's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief for movie viewing pleasure. IThe movie was alright, but the events are totally unbelievable. It had lots of intensity at first, then it got tedious. Cliche after cliche, unbelievable scene one after another, and a complete lack of a plot with substance. I can't grow attached to Sandra Bullock or George Clooney pretending to be astronauts, that's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief for movie viewing pleasure. I won't spoil the movie, because there's nothing to spoil, the trailer sums up the entire 90 minutes of your life that you just wasted watching it. Nice special effects, but I play video games if that's all I'm looking for. I wanted a movie, and I was disappointed when I left the theatre. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2013
    Great special affects but technically LOL. It breaks one law of physics per minute (sometimes more than one per minute). It also breaks about every rule of spacecraft operations. Worth seeing for the special affects, but it isn't how things really are in space.
  22. Nov 15, 2013
    Melhor filme do ano até agora, talvez o melhor filme dos últimos 20 anos.Junto com 2001: A Space Odyssey o melhor filme de espaço já feito.A obra de arte de Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez o melhor filme que eu já vi.
  23. Nov 15, 2013
    Mejor película del año hasta ahora, tal vez la mejor película de los últimos 20 anos.Junto con 2001: Una odisea del espacio es el mejor espacio película ya en Listo obra Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez la mejor película que he visto en mi vida.
  24. Nov 16, 2013
    This movie is extremmmmmely boring.....and the story is not nice at all.....it is just a short story being stretch to a length of 91min....Really boring. Furthermore, this movie contains much more educational content than a fictional story content....BUT WHAT I WANNA WATCH IS A NICE MOVIE BUT NOT AN EDUCATIONAL FILM!!!
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Omg, this movie would have been great if it didn't involve just two actors and an extra that was in the movie for less than 5 minutes in beginning... Expand
  26. Nov 19, 2013
    It looked great and the script was awful and I could have done without the say hello to my daughter in heaven nonsense which dominated the second half of the movie.
  27. Nov 30, 2013
    Not a great movie but not that bad. How can you not enjoy staring at Sandra Bullock? The story was actually a little weak and I never wondered if she was going to make it back alive. I saw it in 3 D and that made it a little better, but I would actually recommend waiting for it to come out in Red Box. I wouldn't miss but recommend the cheap seats!
  28. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my first ever movie review but I felt obliged to balance out what I can only be describe as a severe blow to my faith in my fellow species.

Visuals & Sound:

The special effects are excellent and at their best during the spattering of "action" scenes (i.e. where debris is flying around).

The first twenty or so minutes of the film are in this reviewer's opinion the only part worth watching hence why it earned it's score. After the second wave of debris there is very little else of note in terms of visuals.

In regards to sound there was nothing particularly noteworthy either way.

Plot and Acting:

The plot is banal at best. Everything about the setting, the evolution of the characters and the circumstances they face comes across as contrived.

Let us be sports and start from the premise that we'll pretend Sandra Bullocks' character (who I have no desire to remember the name of) is actually qualified to be out on a space walk. She portrays the most irritating, incompetent and pathetic woman I have ever seen in a film. It was cringe-worthy to watch. After about 30 minutes of the film, finally having had enough of listening to her hyperventilating, I honestly wished she would just snuff it.

Regrettably George Clooney's far more entertaining character dies off around this time and I believe I might have awarded this film at least twice the present score had I gone on to watch him fighting to survive for the next hour.

Instead I watched Sandra's idiotic character fail utterly to struggle for survival yet somehow miraculously make it back to a beach on Earth somewhere by the end of it.

This film made me feel angry and rather embarrassed by its portrayal of the female lead. I don't think it is a question of bad acting but due to the script being very poor and as a result having to be over acted to try to create tension.

Conclusion:

I am baffled by the good reviews. Aside from two or three spectacular SFX shots and a similar number of chuckle worthy Clooney lines, there is nothing to recommend about this film.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    Astonishing film The best so far in 2013 .The film explains for what the cinema is created a brilliant direction, cinematography, visual and sound effects. It takes as to space for 90 minutes and when back on earth, we can feel the real Gravity!
  30. Dec 16, 2013
    It was almost an amazing film and I almost believed Sandra Bullock wasn't Sandra Bullock but I have never gone from being so engrossed in a movie to so uninterested and it's all because of their crappy physics.

We are asked to suspend belief beyond belief. They set up the rules for the physics by overemphasizing it in the beginning and then we have to swallow that the rules don't apply later on in the film in order to accept the new plot turn. I couldn't do it.
  31. Dec 23, 2013
    For me it went beyond suspense and straight into frustration and a lot of growling at Bullock.Yes, it's a movie, but you can't help but wonder how the hell someone as clueless as the protagonist even made it out of the atmosphere. Beautiful visuals and lovely execution of zero-gravity, but quite frankly I hated the protagonist so much it distracted me from just about everything else.
  32. Jan 6, 2014
    Yes the 3D is impressive because we, the viewer, are unaware of the detailed view of the international space station but after that we are watching a very mediocre film. What's the George Clooney character all about?
  33. Jan 9, 2014
    Cool effects, but did bad science. Also, why is someone who works in a hospital (who happens to be a woefully incompetent astronaut) playing with electronics on Hubble?
  34. Jan 16, 2014
    The first 20 minutes of this film are amazing - visually stunning. After that its a one dimensional narrative in a 3D format : how will they get from A to B? There's no story, nothing interesting in the characters. The single bit of drama turns out to be a really stupid 'dream' sequence which is a kop out. And an easy ending. I don't know how this film has achieved any nominations.
  35. Jan 17, 2014
    Dr. Ryan Stone is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and anyDr. Ryan Stone is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.
    Release date: October 4, 2013 (USA)
    Director: Alfonso Cuarón
    Running time: 91 minutes
    MPAA rating: PG-13
    Budget: 100 million USD
    EXHIBE FLIX (www.exhibeflix.com)
  36. Feb 16, 2014
    Immediately from seeing the trailer, I wanted to see this movie so badly. My first impression and repeatedly seeing the trailer made me so anxious to see it, and finally I did and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There are some totally tragic parts that I won't spoil, but the whole time it's thrilling watching Dr. Ryan Stone (played by Sandra Bullock) try to escape the space debris and you can'tImmediately from seeing the trailer, I wanted to see this movie so badly. My first impression and repeatedly seeing the trailer made me so anxious to see it, and finally I did and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There are some totally tragic parts that I won't spoil, but the whole time it's thrilling watching Dr. Ryan Stone (played by Sandra Bullock) try to escape the space debris and you can't help but root for her. George Clooney's character brings lightness to an otherwise dark and terrifying situation. Also, Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Stone so well that you cringe when she cringes, and can see every aspect of her predicament from how she would be seeing it, which is so great. So overall, Gravity gets a 10 because it was such a gripping, smart movie. Expand
  37. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Nerve Racking.'' Delivers maximum fright. Believe me, Gravity is unlike you've ever seen. Full of Thrills and spectacle. Sandra Bullock gives a jaw-dropping performance, The Best performance of her career. What will you do, if you have left up there, 400 miles above the earth, with completely silence and without gravity? You won't see anything like Gravity, and you will never see''Nerve Racking.'' Delivers maximum fright. Believe me, Gravity is unlike you've ever seen. Full of Thrills and spectacle. Sandra Bullock gives a jaw-dropping performance, The Best performance of her career. What will you do, if you have left up there, 400 miles above the earth, with completely silence and without gravity? You won't see anything like Gravity, and you will never see again.Gravity shows what special effects could do. Surely, the best use of special effects in the history of filmmaking. Gravity is a horrifying experience none of us could have imagined. Expand
  38. Jan 24, 2014
    Stunningly executed. I forgive it for minor errors because it is a movie, after all. Sandra Bullock convinced me particularly as Dr Ryan Stone and her performance was amazing. The visuals were brilliant, my favorites about it were the long panned shots.
  39. Feb 11, 2014
    The movie was good except for 1 very important flaw. He is attached to her in a weightless state. Why did he have to unhook? There is no weight to drag her down. He could have floated up to her.
  40. Feb 15, 2014
    "Gravity" was an amazing film. The graphics and animation--- mainly being the fact that it actually looks like it was filmed in space made this film one of my favorites. However not by a whole lot.
  41. Feb 28, 2014
    truely "the best overall 2014 movie" since the last one Dr. Ryan Stone was a brainy pass to pass all the test with flying colors. every thing was a 5-star in term of movies. i give the the epic most recommendation is as possible.
  42. Feb 21, 2014
    This is a really good movie and is really well executed.but there is only 3 people in the entire movie and with a budget of 100 million they could have at least showed the shuttle taking of or [spoiler] Sandra bullock being rescued at the end of the movie but after all it is is a really good film and well planned
  43. Mar 27, 2014
    Just watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistakeJust watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistake of shooting down their own satellite when while it was in the same altitude as several other satellites and the International Space Station is ridiculous. The Russians usually just maneuver satellites they want to "retire" into the upper atmosphere and let it burn or crash to Earth.

This movie didn't make me care whether the main character lived or died in orbit. It was that lame.
  44. Jul 9, 2014
    A great film with stunning visuals. It is a great watch in 3D on the big screen as you get the full effect and makes you feel like you are there. Average acting with some great dialogue. Bullock does a great job as she is alone for most of the movie and she makes the movie not boring and enjoyable to watch. Some of the best effects I have ever seen.
  45. Apr 29, 2014
    A very intense and riveting film. The FX are incredible. The characters could have used more depth and it needed more emotional impact I thought as well. Still a great flick.
  46. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sandra Bullock and the special effects are the only reason this movie even got a 1. As a movie that was based on reality, its lack of being realistic is staggering. One of the main actors dies near the beginning. The ending is anti-climatic. How this movie won even one Oscar is beyond me. It was a movie devoid of dialogue for the most part with fancy special effects in space. Expand
  47. May 27, 2014
    Far and away the best film of 2013, and maybe even one of the greatest space films of all time. Alfonso Cuaron shows that he is a brilliant filmmaker, by directing one of the best directed film in a long time. Sandra Bullock gives an amazing performance. And overall, a very good must see film
  48. Jun 9, 2014
    96/100 for this movie? No way. The movie is highly overrated. I mean, it has a lot of good thing, the acting, effect is not bad. The story honestly really isn't something impressing. Personally I think the story is a little boring, but overall It is a good movie, but it is not a masterpiece.
  49. Jul 15, 2014
    As a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect meAs a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect me to believe that she survived for another hour in space before she got to the International Space Station on just that. I think not. The script writers should have payed more attention to the facts before writing these impossible ways Sandra could have survived. Expand
  50. Nov 13, 2014
    "Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
  51. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a neat package of a movie but it never achieves any sustained emotion. The back story of Bullock's loss seems strained, implanted into the movie to add drama to a story with plenty of heft already. I just didn't connect with it all that strongly and found it forgettable. IMO, we are still waiting for Cuaron's masterpiece.
  52. Nov 4, 2013
    This movie is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. It was even better than expected. A real thrill ride. I was expecting a very low-key movie with lots of philosophical dialogue...what I got was non-stop suspense and action. After the first few minutes, it has you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Your heart won't stop pounding for 80 straight minutes.
  53. Nov 26, 2013
    I absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was somethingI absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was something different the visuals, sound, special effects, lighting, the story and the drama were the main aspects of the film and the characters were supposed to be ordinary people in a very unusual situation. There are enough films with over the top characters and I thought the performances of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock were fitting with the story.

This film is definitely best watched in a cinema in 3D.
  54. Jan 10, 2014
    A near perfect experience from a director that has brought to us not merely a film but a true accomplishment. Visually stunning, an experience truly out of this world. My only quibble was that even though admittedly there was little to flaw Sandra Bullock's performance, I just did not feel she had the gravitas to carry it the weight of such a grand cinematic achievement on her shoulders.
  55. Apr 4, 2014
    I pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the rightI pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the right button in a shuttle (or whatever it was actually called) despite being labeled in a language she doesn't understand is a little far-fetched, but overall I was absolutely enthralled with the film. This is one I highly recommend, and I give it a 9.9/10-Near-Perfect. Expand
  56. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  57. Mar 6, 2014
    Intense and gripping in every way possible! It's truly one of the best science fiction films in recent years, and Sandra Bullock and George Clooney have done an amazing job in their acting! Simply a masterpiece!
  58. Nov 3, 2014
    After being struck by a debris field astronauts Stone (Bullock) and Kowalski (Clooney) find themselves adrift in space and, with no chance of rescue, they have to somehow find a way back to Earth.

First and foremost Gravity is an incredible technical achievement setting a new benchmark for visuals in cinema. From start to finish it is full of staggering shots and special effects making it impossible to take your eyes from the screen. The script, despite strong performances from Clooney and Bullock, can't quite match the visuals and occasionally becomes a bit too 'Hollywood' but that is only a minor criticism of what is a must see movie.
  59. Mar 7, 2014
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros: 1. Great Visuals 2. Steady paced does not get boring Cons: 1. SANDRA BULLOCK..same character in every movie she is in, panics in every scene and is practically hopeless 2. Story..very weak and felt they had to fill it with pointless stories to fill awkward silences. 3. Predictable 4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros:
    1. Great Visuals
    2. Steady paced does not get boring

Cons:
    3. Predictable
    4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much on the second Sandra Bullock arrives, even though the debris had already circled twice.
    5. Terrible ending

This film is terrible. only good things are the visuals and the pace the movie goes at. if they casted a better female actress who didn't just panic and flap her hands about like in EVERY film she has ever done, this maybe would have been a worthy Oscar winner.
  60. Jan 3, 2014
    The dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable andThe dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable and only casually enjoyable. Instead Cuaron takes this simplistic framework and fills it with relentless physical tension, humbling cosmic scenery, and (most importantly, and most overlooked) a dread-inducing score. The sensation of watching a film that is so visceral yet so filled with physical nothingness is unrelentingly haunting. Clooney and Bullock are on form, but it hardly matters. The symphonic mastery of the action by itself makes this easily the best new film I've seen in months, maybe years. Proof that great movies are really only about entertainment. Expand
  61. Jan 7, 2014
    Technically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientificTechnically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientific gripes, the problems stem with the fact that the film tries to be two things at once, a thriller and a lament on psychology. If youve seen children of men, you will undoubtably see how Curon was forced to make jarring pacing follies. That said and done, one must note what is probably the best score of the year. It is nigh perfect for every scene and moment. The visuals too must be praised as they suck you into each and every moment. Sadly though, like Avatar, this technical perfection lacks soul and good storytelling. This is only magnified by the fact that it's Alfonso Curon we are talking about. Hopefully with the Hollywood cred he's now achieved he will bring us something worth while with his next effort. Expand
  62. Oct 23, 2013
    This film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suitedThis film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suited for documentaries; thus, in order to have an interesting plot, at some point the film had to deviate into the realm of science fiction and throw realism to the winds.

This has caused a flurry of criticism about when and where the film drops its realistic venue and makes up scenarios that are not credible. Marsha Ivins, a former astronaut and veteran of five shuttle missions, has commented in depth, as has journalist Jeffrey Kluger, and my favorite, Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and director of the NYC Hayden Planetarium, whose enthusiastic tweeting after viewing the film received much media attention.

Some obvious elements that could never occur are evident even to those of us who are not astronauts, such as Sandra Bullock (playing mission specialist Ryan Stone) floating about in a cute, form-fitting outfit that is basically underpants and a tank top, or seeing astronauts crash into structures as they try to grab onto parts of a spaceship while they are hurtling through space at speeds that look like 30 mph. They are miraculously unhurt except for a scratch on Bullock’s face. George Clooney plays astronaut Matt Kowalski, and the chemistry between him and Bullock is one of the best parts of this movie, next to the special effects. The script is presumably recreating the kind of authentic banter that astronauts really would have with each other, as well as the dialogue they would have with the voice of Mission Control from Earth, addressed only by the impersonal name “Houston” (whose voice is that of Ed Harris, which makes sense since he was Houston in Apollo 13).

SPOILER PARAGRAPH: Unfortunately, although Bullock and Clooney are a perfect pair of smooth-talking, unfazed, and brilliant astronauts, Clooney exits the script quite early on, as he detaches his tether from his crewmate so that she can live, which leaves him doomed to float away into oblivion. At that point Bullock’s character reports to Houston that she is the sole survivor of the mission. And from then on Bullock carries the entire film by herself, except for one dream sequence where Clooney reappears briefly. Bullock’s acting requires a lot of gasping, grunting, heavy breathing and many monologues as she talks to herself to maintain her sanity. It is an acting tour de force and will probably win her an Oscar nomination. END SPOILER.

The space shuttles have been retired, and the program was officially ended in 2011. Back in July, I stood next to Discovery at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It was surprisingly small, almost fragile, and although it must have been cleaned up to be put on display in the museum, the outer shell still showed charred and blackened areas. Discovery did not inspire awe, but looked more like someone’s beat-up Buick that was already 30 years old. Although many missions were completed successfully, two of them never came back, and while standing next to Discovery and staring up at this modest vehicle, it occurred to me that every astronaut who ever flew a shuttle mission took their lives into their hands.
  63. Oct 27, 2013
    I've been anticipating this film for 2+ years when hearing Cuaron's ambitious intentions for it, and it's worth the wait. Finally a film that utilizes 3D technology, adding without interfering to the story at hand. Cuaron's "Gravity" takes us to a world few have ever experienced, and even fewer will ever experience. See it in 3D.
  64. Jan 3, 2014
    The best movie of the year. Gives the most exciting experience. Performances are extraordinary. The movie that brings you into space where there is no sound and no oxygen.
  65. Oct 13, 2013
    A technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If theA technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If the Academy does recognize this, then it's a shoo in for other nominations that include Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Director......One of the best film of 2013.... Expand
  66. Dec 13, 2013
    You'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "SoYou'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "So where do you call home?" Clooney asks Bullock at one point. Oh wait. I have to suspend disbelief again because any astronauts sent up together are going to know just about everything there is to know about each other. They will have trained for months together, attended parties, and so forth, but just suspend disbelief. Satellite chain reaction bullet storms. Suspend, suspend! As someone else posted, this isn't going to be shown in any high school physics classes. But the story is equal parts Apollo 13 and Open Water, and it's thrilling. I'm not on board with the raving critics, this isn't a '10', but it's a solid '8' all the way for pure fun. Check your brains at the door, grab a snack, and enjoy the ride. Expand
  67. Apr 9, 2014
    The negative reviews tend to be from dullards who want to make themselves interesting by criticizing a movie that has been so widely praised, or people who want to critics the movie for not attempting to be what they want it to be.

Instead of criticizing it for what its not though we should enjoy what it is, a 90 minute roller coaster of a sci-fi movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I wouldn't change a single thing about it and haven't met anyone in real life who has truly disliked it.
  68. Oct 4, 2013
    When I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney isWhen I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is incredibly beautiful, the simple concept of characters in dire predicament has been crafted so masterfully, it's nigh impossible not to be drawn into this highly inspiring tale.

The visual is undeniably breathtaking. It flows stunningly from scene to scene, the camera shows just the right angle while explosion of color in dark space erupts. The occasional switches to first person view looks very natural, emphasizing the intense solitude, almost in frightening yet utterly captivating way. Graphical effect is clearly one of the best, not only in movie but in all medium; it is gloriously magnificent to witness such stellar value. It takes its time to build up the suspense and it focuses comprehensibly on the extraordinary moments while giving the audience a chance to savor them entirely. I truly admire Alfonso Cuarón from his work in Children of Men, he's a visionary and now he's perfected his craft with excellent editing and screenplay.

Screenplay does a marvelous job of trailing the characters in the gripping struggle for survival. Credits goes to the short list of cast; George Clooney who is charmingly dependable and especially Sandra Bullock who deliver a chilling intimate performance that can freeze the entire theater. She's nothing less than remarkable, she seems a bit withdrawn at first but as she fights through the ordeal, she gradually opens up and ultimately exhibits strengths beyond despair. This is one of rare occasions where a movie almost exclusively relies on an individual's acting, and Sandra Bullock delivers, many times over, taking the audience along in her personal journey. A truly inspiring performance.

The music is harrowingly gripping, almost to the extent of merging with the sound effect. It gives enchanting suspense and even more emotionally engaging at most points. When the visual, music and acting combine together, it reaches a pinnacle of how passionately powerful a movie could be. Its simple yet brilliant concept of living can be universally acceptable to everyone; it speaks to viewers across age, gender or race.

There may come movies that stand above the rest, movies that can restore wonder upon watching them as if you are experience watching big screen for the first time, they may not come often, but Gravity is clearly one such movie. With such elegant visual choreograph and splendid acting, it's a near magical experience.
  69. Oct 6, 2014
    Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her selfGravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her self from certain death. Expand
  70. Feb 27, 2014
    Gravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. TheGravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. The acting, essentially Sandra Bullock, is also very good, albeit slightly overrated. While it isn't the movie of the year in my opinion, it is still an exceptional film and one of the few movies I've ever seen that I felt like 3D added something rather than taking something away. Expand
  71. Oct 6, 2013
    Yup, it's good in all the ways folks mention, a technical marvel that will get a pile of awards on that count. I do always appreciate a film that dares to do something different and Gravity takes a few chances such as having a solo character for much of the movie.
    But there are flaws or less than great aspects.
    My complaints are that some of the basics are unrealistic. Every movie today
    But there are flaws or less than great aspects.
    My complaints are that some of the basics are unrealistic. Every movie today has a gratuitous throwing up scene, but there was none here where it would definitely happen. Also, Bullock is neat and clean when she floats out of her suit a la Barbarella and after the ordeal she'd been through that didn't fly. There'd definitely be an excrement bag to discard. And if you've seen the flick, you know she'd have a ton of bruises, if not broken bones due to the impacts she suffered. At least her shoulder would be thrown out right? I think she'd have contusions from head to toe. Her space suit never ripped and no duck (duct) tape was employed. There could have been more of a McGiver element.
    The first hour was quite gripping, but the movie kind of fell apart after that and the ending was particularly lame, no one knew how to wrap it up. But it was fun, go see it.
  72. Nov 30, 2014
    Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
  73. Nov 21, 2013
    The fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, theThe fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, the visual and special effects in this movie are simply amazing, especially in 3D. Sandra Bullock deserves the praise she's been getting, and the film never gets boring. I enjoyed this and I'm glad I saw it, but I can't help wishing that the banter between Clooney and Bullock matched the quality of the images surrounding them. Expand
  74. Jul 15, 2014
    Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
  75. Nov 7, 2013
    E um filme bom prende a atenção da gente do começo ao fim .Adorei o jeito como a historia foi contada ,faz agente pensar no que fazer em casos extra-ordinários como o relatado no filme ,e surpreendente
  76. Oct 28, 2014
    A visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into andA visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into and is quite boring at times. Seriously overrated film. Expand
  77. Mar 7, 2014
    Just watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematicJust watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematic experiences. Whether or not you like the actors or the story's plausibility you cannot help but be in awe of the photo-realistic visuals, you could not ask for a more realistic experience of low-earth orbit space events. I did appreciate that Dr Stone had to struggle for her life even after splashdown, that the screenplay didn't cop out on an easier ending. Will I watch it again, not likely, but the experience was memorable, akin to visiting a high-line museum, it's something you'll do once and be awed but it's not likely to be repeated. Expand
  78. Oct 10, 2013
    Kind of good, but not what I'd call the movie of the year. The pace was rather slow most of the time, horrendous at a couple parts, but at least it wasn't hard to keep up with. The acting was mediocre, and although I must agree the visuals were fairly decent, this is no ground-breaker if you ask me.
  79. Oct 31, 2013
    Great movie. Maybe a little over-hyped, but still great none the less. I think the movie should have been longer at least by half an hour. I give it an 8/10
  80. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  81. Mar 8, 2014
    "Gravity" is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of space. It's powerfully acted, has really excellent visuals, and you just really feel alone. I mean, when you see the shuttles destroyed by the debris and there's no sound, it's really freaky and effective. It's just absolutely brilliant.
  82. Mar 18, 2014
    Fun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the richFun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the rich praising the rich. Expand
  83. Mar 14, 2014
    Cinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where ClooneyCinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where Clooney reappears. He reappears in a guardian angle-like way and this scene is a large failing in a movie that done in a very real and tangible way up to this point. That being said there were no major flaws in the film just pieces that should have been touched up that could have made it flawless. Expand
  84. Apr 18, 2014
    The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth -The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth - but the haunting soundtrack and picture bring the atmosphere alive.
    Generally, Gravity is a unique and favorably original film which should hopefully inspire a new generation of space-themed movies.
  85. Oct 4, 2013
    It's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition toIt's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition to said scene. Expand
  86. Mar 2, 2014
    With such a big-scale production, a plot less thin and predictable would’ve been desirable, especially due to the fact that you need more than just visuals to make a film rewatchable. But there is really no denying that Cuarón has accomplished a most impressive and breathtaking film with Gravity, that should at least scoop the technical trophies at the Academy Awards.
  87. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer, I immediately knew two things. One this is a space survival story, not to dissimilar to Apollo 13 and Marooned. The other was that this film relied on immersion (a feature of cinematography, music and actors being able to express body language), and visual effects. Not a big fan of those movies since they tend to use such features to cover poor plots, character and story. Gravity basically fulfilled my expectations.

The movie is gorgeous visually. The CGI is impressive, and the camera work features continuous shots and a sense that you really are an observer in space looking at the characters. When action sequences occur, most of the camera work tends to be "outside looking in", but there are a few shots that rely on First-person view, or shots that pan to show impending danger as if you are part of the story. It doesn't make you feel nauseous, but probably because I wasn't watching in 3D. In interim scenes between action sequences, the camera just focuses on a particular shot for a few seconds, to let the audience catch their breath. Good since the movie actually has very little transition shots that breaks the scenes apart.

Music is orchestral and compliments the scenes well. I don't usually give credit to composers since their work is supplementary to the movie, but the music here works very well. However there are some flaws that I will address later.

Sandra Bullock gives a believable performance, even if we only see it near the end of the 2nd act. You can really relate to her predicament in the situation she was in, and possibly care about her. If you actually focus on her survival story to get back to Earth, then she gave a good performance. But if you want to believe her underlying motivation to return was in part because she learns to let go of the death of her non-existent daughter, then it becomes nonsensical.

Which leads me to the bad parts of the movie. As I expected, story is simple, plot pacing is adequate. But because there is virtually no B story involved, it becomes extremely distracting when the 1st 5 minutes of the movie is spent attempting to put artificial depth to the characters when there was no need to. Why bother about Bullock's supposed daughter? Why bother about how she got to NASA? It has no relevance to the story, and is padding the movie.

Notice I only mention Bullock, but not George Clooney. His character is superfluous. No reason for me to give two hoots at all. Why? Because he plays the stereotypical wise senior/mentor (ala Obi-Wan) and Bullock plays the rookie in space learning the ropes. No depth or originality. And yes, like Obi-Wan, he dies 2/5ths in the movie and reappears as an apparition of Sandra's hypoxic mind in a suicide attempt, driving her to live. This is pathetic. Clooney is wasted here.

And if you think Sandra and George's name on the poster is just to show two principal characters, in truth, they are the ONLY characters in the movie. The rest are just voices. 10 minutes after the 1st action sequence we are shown how 3 crew members died from the debris impacting the Space Shuttle. This is clearly done for the sake of shock factor, and I'm calling it borderline offensive. Because the director never bothered to show me the character's face, why should I bother about them? Only showing their dead bodies elicits any reaction for me.

Note that because of the genre, there is only one type of conflict and tension in this movie; near death experiences. Sure there is the suicide attempt, and the re-entry scene, but every time the music clinches to a climax, it always had to be a near death experience. And this highlights two flaws; monotony of tension and overpowering effects of music. Since Sandra is the protagonist, and there is very little variation in tension, it quickly becomes boring to see her get placed in these scenarios over and over. And since the composer makes the music according to the scene, there really is only one kind of music he can make; that orchestral heart-pounding apocalyptic type. Also, by act 3, probably out of monotony, I felt that the music, and not the scene, that became the driving emotional force of the setting. Almost makes me want to watch Marooned, back in the day where no music, just plain old acting, carried the scene perfectly.

In short, the film performed as well as expected for this kind of film. But it failed to make me a convert. It did not perform above and beyond expectations. And if I follow my feelings I actually felt bored to a small degree. It didn't make me feel like wanting to watch more of this kind of movies. And if you want immersion in a scene without watching this movie, you probably have better luck going to those 4D theme parks.
  88. Oct 11, 2013
    Gravity had me on my seat for a majority of the ride. While some of the action was fantastical, the film captures the loneliness and extremely scary extremes of 'space'. This is not a sci-fi action shooter, wrought with intrigue and good vs. evil. It's an exploration of how thin the life or death line is in such a hostile environment.
  89. Dec 16, 2013
    Cuarón has made what I thought was impossible. Gravity has become one of my best movies of all time. This was by far the best of Sandra bullocks career! Sheer brilliance!
  90. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uno sciame di detriti spaziali fa cascare come birilli tutti gli oggetti orbitanti che trova sul suo cammino. Il primo uno Shuttle, fuori dal quale il comandante Kowalski (Clooney) e l'ingegnere medico Stone (Bullock) stanno eseguendo delle riparazioni. Passata la buriana, i due si ritrovano a essere gli unici sopravvissuti e iniziano una corsa contro il tempo e i detriti per cercare di tornare sulla Terra: appoggiandosi prima a una stazione internazionale e poi a una cinese, solo lei riesce nell'impresa dopo che lui si sacrificato per regalarle una possibilità. Il nuovo film del messicano Cuarón un ‘survivor’ spaziale costruito con grande abilità visiva e con una scrittura solida che, specie nella prima parte, fa trattenere più di una volta il fiato. La fantascienza (abbastanza poco ‘fanta’, oltretutto) solo uno sfondo su cui dipingere ammalianti panorami spaziali e raccontare una storia di resistenza umana fino ai limiti e anche un po’ oltre, premiata alla fine da una sorta di nascita a nuova vita attraverso le difficoltà, con Stone che esce barcollando da un lago sconosciuto in una terra all'apparenza selvaggia (e si spera che qualcuno trovi il modo di localizzarla). Ma torniamo fra le stelle, dove pulsa il cuore del film. Le scene spaziali, meticolosamente costruite al computer prima di sovrapporvi i volti degli attori, sono di grande efficacia, tanto da giustificare per una volta e almeno in parte le tre dimensioni: sarebbero però sola decorazione come, tanto per fare un esempio recente, in ‘Upside down’ se la storia, seppur costruita su elementi minimi, non funzionasse a dovere tenendo vivo l'interesse dello spettatore ben aldilà delle immagini. A voler guardare il pelo nell'uovo, risulta più efficace la prima parte, dove interagiscono il logorroico Kowalski e la più riservata (oltre che inesperta) Stone, segnata da una tragedia familiare: quando il primo se ne vola via ad ammirare le stelle, rimane in scena la sola dottoressa che prima con la razionalità e l'addestramento, poi con la forza della disperazione affronta il caldo e il freddo, il russo e il cinese (intesi come lingue) per cercare di tornare a casa. Nei suoi panni, Sandra Bullock offre una prova davvero convincente, dove il ritratto di una donna che trova le energie necessarie nel superamento delle proprie fragilità più importante di pur notevoli esibizioni atletiche che farebbero invidia a Bruce Willis. Al suo fianco, Clooney a parte una breve scena, quasi solo una voce grazie alla quale l'attore gigioneggia un po’ sfruttando la parlantina kowalskiana chissà poi se il nome stato dato a caso o c’è qualche legame con l’omonimo di ‘Punto zero’ mentre dal controllo missione di Houston si fa sentire (poco) Ed Harris, che fu John Glenn in ‘Uomini veri’. Si tratta però di figure ai margini, quale più o quale meno, perché gli unici veri protagonisti del film restano Stone e la limpida visione dello spazio esterno, dove nessuno può sentirti urlare la mancanza di rumore nel vuoto rispettata ma si può vivere, e far vivere, un'avventura emozionante: in novanta minuti ‘Gravity’ non inventa nulla dal punto di vista narrativo (da quello visivo sì, ma, come già detto, non sarebbe abbastanza) ma sa raccontare, senza intoppi o altre sbavature che non siano qualche dialogo un po’ così, una vecchia e bella storia. Expand
  91. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. superb movie! the graphics were wonderful, the scenes were intense, great soundtrack, and the movie scenes were unpredictable! there were characters in there who i thought were goanna make it, and the ending of their demise threw me off! truly a wonderful movie! there will be moments where the astronauts had a hard time breathing in their suits and i realized that i wasnt breathing also! lol thats how strongly the movie sucked me in! you will be immersed in gravity's atmosphere! there will also be moments where you watch the movie with your mouth gaped open and your body will be stiff with tension! the movie gets damn intense! lol my faith in hollywood has been restored! it is now apparantly still possible to make a new good movie in hollywood! lol great job! my only reason why i didnt give this movie a ten was because there were some moments where i felt the acting was stiff and lacked emotion; and although the scenes were intense, i felt like they couldve been even more intense and powerful! ive seen thrillers that truly thrilled me to the edge of my seat!

still a great movie though! i recommed you watch it! truly an immersive experience
  92. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful expierence in iMAX where i watched it in. I didn't had much knowledge about the space at all and with seeing this movie i realised how weird but also how great it is up there. Of course this was not the case for the charaters in the movie which came into big trouble. It's really realistic, beatiful and well acted. Only the end bothers me a little bit and i found it very weird.. just right after the moment she went down in the water and took of her suit she climbed up above.. which is impossible because she was long away from the earth for a long time.. and also the death of Matt didin't get pointed out so clear. You see him for the last time when she let go and when you think about it then of course you know that he's dead.. but i wished there was a view on his part of the story.. but no, he just died. So this movie deservers this well 9 out of 10, it's been a long time since i watched such a good movie like this! Expand
  93. Dec 13, 2013
    Hands down the best movie of 2013. Gravity is a creative and gripping survival film in space, featuring excellent cinematography, intense emotion, scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, and well-acting that should get noticed. People, if there's one movie that should sweep the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, it's Gravity.
  94. Dec 13, 2013
    While the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's theWhile the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's the second half of the film where the flaws become very apparent, both in the believability of the events of the plot and the scientific accuracy this film makes a genuine effort to convey. Also, while Sandra Bullocks performance was strong, choosing such big-name actors to play these two characters was an error in casting. This may sound unfair, but having two big names playing the main roles in such a dramatic and otherwise very immersive experience simply took away from the believability and authenticity of the characters, which was very distracting. Additionally, the plot began to wear very thin when it started relying on some very classic Hollywood tropes, which was surprising since the film was otherwise very well-crafted. However, I reiterate: the visuals were stunning, making the film easily worth the admission price. Expand
  95. Jan 3, 2014
    An amazing film.
    The quality of the visuals is outstanding, all of the cast (even if there are only 3 of them) give brilliant performances, the plot may be thin but it's like nothing you have ever seen before and the score is totally immersing. It may not be better than Captain Phillips, but it is still a masterpiece.
  96. Dec 15, 2013
    Gravity is for me, the best film i have ever seen. It is so intense, so emotional, so breathtaking, and so beautiful. I don't know in what world Sandra Bullock dosen't win Best Actress. all the haters
  97. Nov 7, 2013
    [9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is[9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is the sole focus of this movie. Some may argue that the lack of varying perspective can and will hurt a movie, but Gravity's perspective is truly embedded in theme. When stranded in space, one must wonder what freedom really is. Is it removal of physical and materialistic restraints, or is it the ability to choose, and to make that choice through self-determination. Space is physical infinity, and that infinity is unconquerable without gravity. Can you go anywhere in space? Absolutely, but it should be understood that you will never move at the speed that the things around you do. These things move so fast, you cannot grab hold of them; without gravity, they easily slip past you. How can you expect to go anywhere in a realm where all things are physically equal? Where inertia does not apply, and where everything just keeps going, and the only way to change their direction is with force; conscious, voluntary force. It's all too much to keep up with, and in this sense, the freedom that space presents is nil. Its freedom is only to be perceived, not to be had. Its freedom is ideal, and what one ought to strive to attain. An idea that is perfect will indefinitely go wrong in circumstance, and that idea is utopia. Freedom only works when something else works against it. People have to have obstacles, because without obstacles, there is no conflict, and without conflict, there is no purpose for freedom. Gravity therefore, is freedom. It is a restraint that we work against, and we are grateful to work against it. When we do work against it, we flourish, we build civilization, and we do what we were meant to do since the day we came into existence: we survive. Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2014
    A film that truly needs to be experienced in the theater. This is technically one of the most impressive movies I have seen and Bullock was great. While I didn't think this was a masterpiece, I was totally along for the ride.
  99. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people withThis movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people with claustrophobia) the scenes are very well done and carefully crafted. The movie deserves the extremely high ratings, especially from critics. If you like action, watch this movie. Expand
  100. Dec 18, 2013
    It seems like such a straightforward story, yet the combination of the special effects, acting, pithy dialogue, and plot made it a truely spectacular film! My only complaint is that the ending (and parts of the plot) are completely unbelievable. But, that's why you go to a movie I suppose!

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.