7.8

1. Oct 7, 2013
    What can I say about this highly acclaimed movie? Gorgeous CGI-produced space, fabulous work of Sandra Bullock's plastic surgeon (for 49 she looks incredible).
    What else? H-m-m-m... Oh yeh! Sandra's hair style is perfect, especially considering that she is in weightlessness.
    I was bored mostly all the time. It reminded me a TNT ad "We know drama" where all action happens at the very possible moment. Kinda cheap. But again, the visuals and special effects were astounding.
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    Gravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I amGravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I am looking for when I go to the Cinema. Now If I was at Disneyland it would be a different story Just my two cents, and obviously I am in the minority since it appears that almost everyone on earth loved this Film and thought it was the greatest film of all time. Which I do find a bit disconcerting because in my opinion it would not even make my top 100 films of all time list. Sadly this is certainly the type of movies film corporations will want to put out more of. 3D up-charge along with a short running time which equals more showings per day and more revenue. Will we ever see a popular motion picture released with a strong script, with strong acting again, or will that just be relegated to art houses and on demand TV viewing? Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    It was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter ofIt was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter of Sandra Bullock was exposed. It wasn't bad, but it was no Anna Hathaway in Les Misérables!!! Some scenes got me saying "wtf', but then some scenes also left me breathless and quiet! I would recommend not watching this at home. Its definitely a must see on IMAX 3D to enjoy the best parts of the movie, but if you were expecting the next best movie of the year, this isn't it!!! Finally, if you are a Bullock fan, then you definitely don't wanna miss some of the up-close sexy and genuine scenes the experienced actress has to offer! No nudity, so don't let your imagination go that far! Before viewing the movie, you should set your mindset to that of an Astronaut, wear your cool 3D IMAX glasses and make sure your don't fall asleep to miss the best parts!!! Enjoy! Expand
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    Welcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's likeWelcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's like she was a secretary that knows satellite uplinking and got drafted into this job by default. A total setback for women's rights and the stereotypical way men view them.... and I love Bullock and yes, I am a big fan of Clooney too. This movie is all visual and is almost a shameless remake or takeoff of "Open Water". Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe Clooney as an astronaut. Yes I'm sure it was very expensive to shoot such realistic space scenes and they were very good but in the end I thought the story was somewhat forgettable. Expand
  6. Oct 5, 2013
    Overrated is definitely the term that comes to mind. It's not a bad movie per say, but it certainly is not a 96.

The formula here is: technical space flight problem solving of "Apollo 13" meets the human spirit and ability to survive from "127 Hours." The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in

The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in almost all categories.

This movie is a clear favorite for best cinematography, and the music was top notch as well. Those two areas were not enough to carry the movie for me however.

It's not a movie I would recommend to others, but it's not a movie I would recommend against either.
  7. Oct 5, 2013
    somehow i am missing what makes this great. the 3d in space is wonderful. the story is about as exciting as sandra b.'s acting. it's not that it's terrible, but there's very little to it. and g. clooney's character is a joke.
  8. Oct 5, 2013
    Given the rave reviews, this film was disappointing. In 3D & Imax, it was disappointing 3D, but no question the visuals were impressive, outer space, how could it not be, so see it in IMAX if you can.

I felt little empathy for the characters as we didn't get to know them first and Sandra Bullock's character was a downer, how did she ever qualify as an astronaut? She was suffering from depression!

The plot and character development was melodramatic, and the dialogue stilted., given the character's' situation.

Worth seeing but don't drink the coolade!
  9. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because theAmazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because the character she portrays is annoyingly inept and stupidly lucky for an astronaut. The characters don't have depth to them, mostly because you're not given enough time to get invested before the hits the fan. Not to mention you barely get enough background to connect either so all you really know are their names and the fact that one has been on more missions than the other.

For a movie that's supposed to depict the realism of being in space and the potential dangers, the number of stupid, ridiculous and forced moments (though the movie would've been much shorter if they didn't) were more than enough for me to find myself criticizing nearly everything as I was simply left unimpressed and frustrated at what I was seeing on-screen. As one negative reviewer has said the basic rules of physics and space travel are oft bent or ignored.

Thriller? Edge of your seat? Perhaps for some who haven't seen the many flaws in this movie and who have never seen videos or played video games depicting what real space is like. There was, in my opinion, one or two moments where it was rather thrilling, but other than that the rest of the movie was bland and, as I've already mentioned, frustratingly stupid.

I regret spending the extra money to watch this in IMAX 3D.
  10. Oct 5, 2013
    Maybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL hisMaybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL his character was much more interesting). See the new Riddick instead (if you haven't already). This one is forgettable. Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2013
    Watched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in thisWatched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in this picture probably does not count). They took an interesting idea and made a cliche movie out of it. That is why I can only give it a 5, maybe a 5.5 due to the fact that they managed to make it with only two and a half actors.The movie is not bad, it's just not very interesting and very cliche in the details of the plot. I would give it a 7 or 8 if they removed all the psychological crap you see in teenage movies about "being unable to move on". Expand
  12. Oct 4, 2013
    Overrated. The effects of course are amazing and the cinematography, I will say, is phenomonal... everything from the pre-production to the filming to the post must have been mind numbing for the filmmakers, but to me, a movie has to have the following to be good;
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying to set some sort of record of having the smallest cast, which it already doesn't, if you've seen 'Buried' you will know what I am talking about. Well maybe there were 2 people in that I'm not sure. Anyways, you never really felt for the main characters... you don't care if these people go off into space... I mean I guess unless you care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney personally...
    2. Morals. Yes, it did have a very obvious moral; never give up. But it didn't change my outlook on anything really... Just a simple pretty basic message.
    3. a great story with a creative way of telling it, along with brilliant individual scenes. You should be able to leave the theater asking your fellow movie goers which part they liked best. In this you can say "when she's breathing a lot" or "when she almost dies by the inconvenient debris which never ever happens but for some reason has happened to 3 different shuttles in the past hour"
    4. Music that connects you with the characters, and with the moment, and how you should be feeling... you need a GREAT composer if you want a great movie.

I'm tired of all these films coming out that are so critically acclaimed, but for what? Where are the films where you leave the theater just thinking about it over and over, where the film really sticks with you? Where are the films that you can leave thinking to yourself, "wow, that will be a classic?" I mean maybe in past generations, all the films they saw they just said "eh" and now we think they are classics... but if not then I'm just disappointed. Maybe I'm not as deep of a thinker as the critics, but all I can say about this film is it probably took a very very long time to get these special effects down... but honestly... I've seen more visually stunning things at OMSI, and Disneyland, and most rides at Universal Studios. I don't know why people are saying this is a once in a generation movie... It is certainly not one I will remember too well.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.