7.9

1. Mar 5, 2014
    gravity is a sci fi adventure . alfsonso did a amazing job on this . Sandra bullock did a amazing and so did george clooney . so thank you alfsonso your are number 1 director
  2. Mar 4, 2014
    Good movie for sure but mostly due to the stunning special effects which make up for the rather mediocre storyline. The movie is a bit hyped IMHO and you will probably roll your eyes a few times if you know a little bit about EVA, orbit's, etc. It's still worth watching, tho.
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie. Thank goodness I didn't pay to see this in the theater. Save your money and your time by skipping this movie. Expand
  4. Mar 3, 2014
    The only bad thing thing I can say about this film is , is there such a thing over character development ?Because i nominate Gravity that Oscar as well
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    With such a big-scale production, a plot less thin and predictable would’ve been desirable, especially due to the fact that you need more than just visuals to make a film rewatchable. But there is really no denying that Cuarón has accomplished a most impressive and breathtaking film with Gravity, that should at least scoop the technical trophies at the Academy Awards.
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Better than '12 years a slave'?
    Oscar winner 2014?
    Let's watch it!
    And it was sooooo booooring. Uhh.
    The lauded earth and space sequences - omg, Avatar was much more inspiring in that respect.
    Only the over 70s in the academy jury could like that.
  7. Mar 2, 2014
    Meteor hit every station as soon as Bullock reach it, and of course there are russian and chinese stations floating around and you can reach those with fire extinguisher.
    The story is totally cheap and even stupid and dumb. This is NOT a Sci-Fi but someone's not really good imagination.
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Yes it has good special effects, but it disrespects the basic laws of physics, for a movie that is focused in space, it should respect the basic laws, like weight.
    The film has really no story, horrible dialogues. In the beginning of the movie while Sandra Bullock is repairing the Hubble Telescope the other guys are playing around.
    She must had started the mission with less then 15% of oxygen, because right after the rain of debris she had 10% of oxygen remaining, wastes 2% of oxygen in 2 seconds, and survives with 1% of oxygen remaining for almost 10 minutes till she gets to safety.
    I don´t even understand how can this movie be so overrated(Metascore: 96/100), Inception is way better than this "movie" and has worse score(Metascore: 74/100)
  9. Mar 1, 2014
    Just when I am wondering why people on here keep giving bad reviews to great movies with complex, emotional screenwriting, here I see one of the lamest movies since Jodi Foster did "Contact", and people think it's cool because they watched it in Imax-- which reminded them that there are stars and a universe and stuff above our heads.

This movie has no story whatsoever. Literally nothing
    happens-- whoever called this "intense and gripping" must not have watched a movie since "The Wizard of Oz". Sandra Bullock floats around in space, there is a meteor shower (because wtf else happens in space without alien attacks???), George Clooney is in the film maybe 20 min....probably because he'd rather float off into space and suffocate to death than continue making this movie with Sandra bullock. I mean, at least with Ms. Congeniality we got to see her in a dress.

P.s. -- how do you have fires burning on the exterior of structures in outer space? Fire requires certain compounds present in the atmosphere...
  10. Mar 1, 2014
    It was like having diarrhea. Worst movie I have watched in my whole life. You didn't feel an emotional connection with the characters. The logic was heavily flawed. Very cringe worthy. The visuals was good, but not good enough to justify for everything else. And Ryan(Sandra Bullock) was mentally retarded.
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    I thought Ed Wood was no longer making movies because he died. His sequel to Plan 9 from outer space was vastly inferior. The acting, plot and dialogue didn't come close. Plan 9 had actual dialogue not silly women howling like dogs. Whaaa?
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    My god this was a horrible flick. It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and a dumb as a sponge character. Dr Stone keeps on blithering “I am running out of oxygen” but she just babbles, fidgets and keeps babbling instead of just relaxing and breathing slowly as an astronaut would be trained to do This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public toilet cubicle if she locked herself in it.

The only redeeming character was Matt Kowalski but then there were
    really only two characters in the movie.

I should have just watched Vanishing Point again
  13. Feb 28, 2014
    While the visuals and sound brought this up a couple of points for me, the story itself was linear, very predictable and just boring. Seriously cannot see what all the fuss was about....
  14. Feb 28, 2014
    truely "the best overall 2014 movie" since the last one Dr. Ryan Stone was a brainy pass to pass all the test with flying colors. every thing was a 5-star in term of movies. i give the the epic most recommendation is as possible.
  15. Feb 27, 2014
    Gravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. The acting, essentially Sandra Bullock, is also very good, albeit slightly overrated. While it isn't the movie of the year in my opinion, it is still an exceptional film and one of the few movies I've ever seen that I felt like 3D added something rather than taking something away. Expand
  16. Feb 26, 2014
    This was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean, what could happen in space that would keep me interested. Well, despite that there was quite a bit of suspense and impossiblities was more than enough to keep me interested. And although i am not a Sandra Bullock fan, she was atleast believable in her role, while Clooney was not outside his "normal" typecast.
  17. Feb 26, 2014
    This movie has the same problems as Avatar: It's all sizzle and no steak. I'm not going to lie, this is one of the most visually impressive movies I've even seen, but that's about all it has going for it. If you were expecting a gripping story filled with emotional themes about survival, love, betrayal, or revenge, then you'll no doubt be in for a disappointment.

Visuals (10/10):
    Probably one of best I've ever seen in a movie, and even better if you watch it in 3D. Don't expect to get much enjoyment if you watch it on a standard TV though.

Plot (2/10): I'm not overstating one bit when I say this: This movie has NO plot whatsoever. Without spoiling anything (although there is nothing to spoil anyways), this entire movie is about some woman in an astronaut suit floating around in space and jumping between satellites. No protagonists, antagonists, foil characters, plot-twists, climax, or any other common elements that make up a story. The intro of the movie failed to give any background information on the two characters, and the ending was highly predictable.

Characters (3/10): This movie only has two characters, and both of them were completely void of any personality whatsoever.

Clooney played as an astronaut with a one-dimensional personality with no emotion whatsoever. In one scene is was being painfully being hurled around space with space junk, and he starts saying this: "Looks like America has lost its Facebook". WTF? You are close to being chopped into pieces and you are wasting your time joking around? What's worse is that he is smiling through the entire movie with no fear whatsoever, even in times when he is close to getting killed.

If you thought Clooney was bad, then don't get me started on Bullock. Seriously, whose idea was it to choose her, out of all the people? There are far more better actors out there that could've suited this role 10x better, but I'd guess they had to please the feminists somehow. All she does is whine and complain throughout the entire movie, saying stuff like "Don't leave me all by myself!" and "N-n-n-n-n-noo!". I'm not joking when I say this, she only speaks about 10 lines through the entire movie. What's worse is that she takes her clothes off in one scene. WTF? Isn't this movie supposed to be about survival?

Emotional Content (3/10): I'm sorry but I felt no emotional attachment to Bullock whatsoever. How am I supposed to feel attached to a 50-year-old women that floats around in her underwear (which I actually found pretty disturbing), and someone who whines all the time? I literally felt like taking off her mask and hurling her into space, I just couldn't bear her any longer.

Physics (1/10): Using a fire extinguisher to chase after a satellite floating at a speed of 1000km/h+ is really realistic, right? Of course your average Mcdonalds worker will think it's realistic, but if you have even a remote background in basic physics, this entire movie will seem cringe-worthy.

All in all, this movie would make a great 4-D simulation ride at Chuck-e-Cheese's, but as a movie which you're going to sit through for 2 hours, this falls horribly flat.

Pros: Groundbreaking visuals and special effects
    Cons: Non-existent plot, horrible characters and acting, no emotional value whatsoever, cheesy unnecessary jokes, unrealistic physics
  18. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How the hell did this movie get such high marks? It is a true representation of many things wrong with stupid people in America (and elsewhere too I suppose). Nothing is believable in this movie, starting with putting a mentally unstable, traumatized nitwit in space after a mere 6 mos of training....really? I don't want to hear BS about metaphors and symbolism....barf...any good movie has that, but they have to fit the story. You don't hear noises in space (I did in Gravity). She just mashes buttons in Chinese and Russian...OMG stupid....

You know what. F&^k it, I'm not even gonna repeat the stupid premise or nitpick the bold disobeying of basic science in this movie. If you're too stupid to know, then you're gonna love this movie no matter what I say. It just utterly fails to ground itself in any resemblance of reality or physics. Strong marks for cinematography and CGI, but it's wasted on this pointless plot and horrible dialog.

A truly jarring movie would have been if she died alone in space slowly and helplessly, **** and pissing herself, because that is what would/should have happened. I guess all you need is a fire extinguisher to navigate space. I give this movie a 5, but rating it zero to make up for the overhyped 10s. Please don't let any acting Oscars go to this movie. Special effects or visuals maybe.

BTW the score was annoying as hell....and 75% of the time there should have been NONE. I was trying to experience the silence of space....luckily Clooney died and shut up eventually (only to come back in a dream...sigh)....just a crap movie. The suspension of disbelief is too much to ask for anyone with half a brain.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    I don't want to be rude, but I really didn't enjoy this movie. It's not about having serious "physical inaccuracy", it's just that this movie is missing some key elements required for any movie! Like you need to have a Protagonist AND antagonist for the story to work! This move has none. Also if you ever wanted a twist or something there is none. It was simply boring. Nothing else dull story with no twists and or plot changes, nothing. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I’ll count myself flabbergasted if I see a better-looking movie than this in my life. The minimalist casting works very well in this movie’s favor and, speaking as a melancholic personality type, it’s personally nice to see Sandra Bullock play the protagonist as introverted and thinking.

Failing to heed Houston doesn’t pay for Dr. Stone. Oxygen runs low. Time runs short. Hiding in a deserted Russian spacecraft might well kill her …

Oh, wait, she makes it back down to Earth. But this is still a very moving character-survival story as it stands. I would give this greater than 10 if (A) Metacritic allowed it and (B) we saw some of Kowalski’s or Stone’s life experiences as they happened. Not that Bullock and Clooney’s voices aren’t interesting enough, but seriously, would it have pushed the budget that much more to show the background to how they got there?
  21. Feb 23, 2014
    Great movie. Is difficult, in this years, to find a good movie that has been realized very well. However, i think that it was just a new "2001: odissey in space" by Stanley Kubrick, but without the connection human-machine and the others infinite meanings of this masterpiece. "Gravity" remain a brilliant vision of space and a movie that you should watch rather of "The Hangover" or similar.
  22. Feb 22, 2014
    Now obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and I was really excited and anxious about if they would make it. But then it just seems t repeat itself over and over again and I started to care a little less after each bad thing that happens to her. This is one of the unluckiest people ever. Worth a watch for the amazing visuals but that pretty much the only reason to watch it, just like Avatar. Expand
  23. Feb 21, 2014
    Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Let's just get this out of the way up front- if you're to garner even one iota of enjoyment out of Gravity it must be viewed on the largest screen possible donning a pair of 3D glasses. Surround sound is also imperative but if you've managed a Big Screen 3D setup, odds are you've got the audio side of the equation covered. Experiencing Gravity in any
    other way is simply not an option. I was fortunate enough to see Gravity on a 55" active 3D display in Dolby 5.1 (my home theater setup) and that would be considered the bare minimum requirement. It's certainly no Imax. Imagine watching the latest Pixar flick on a portable black and white monitor with the sound muted. Sound like fun? No? Then don't bother watching this in the comfort of your living room unless your home theater meets AT LEAST the previously stated requirements. This really can't be stressed enough. Onto the review...

2001, Alien, Moon. These films are considered classics of American cinema for very good reason, they all have superb story arcs bolstered by deep, rich character development. Alfonso Cuarón’s latest theatrical release, Gravity, has neither. Much like the empty environment the film takes place in, Gravity offers up breathtaking visuals but is utterly devoid of anything else.

Instead of a proper film, we're "treated" to an artistic experiment in the use of state of the art visual and audio effects to induce an intimate form of awe and panic. Something a standard 2D stereo film can't possibly replicate. And, as such, it's a smashing success. In one especially intense scene early on during Act I, Cuarón utilizes his trademarked long form single camera shot sequence (13 minutes to be exact) to make us feel the empty helplessness that Dr. Ryan (played adequately by Sandra Bullock) is surely experiencing. It works to great effect, and don't be surprised if a bit of sweat drips from your brow in the process.

So far, so good and we feel invested in our own survival. Not Dr. Ryan's survival mind you, she doesn't exist so much as a character but more of a human prop to advance the films running time. No, the clever use of 3D photography has us invested far more in our own well being then either that of Dr. Ryan or Matt Kowalsky (again, adequately played by George Clooney). I, for one, have felt neither dread nor danger in the cinema or my own couch outside of this expertly crafted opening sequence.

And then...nothing. This pony has flawlessly performed it's single trick. And it is quite the trick, but not something that can sustain any amount of interest past the 30 minute mark. I take pride in writing spoiler free reviews, so suffice it to say Gravity takes place in space (that much should already be abundantly clear), while "space stuff" sporadically explodes silently, life support mechanisms fail, and our two protagonists fight to make their way back to Cape Canaveral, or any place on Earth really, in one piece.

While a superficial attempt at character development is made by the filmmakers to inject Dr. Ryan and Kowalsky with heart and soul, it doesn't work. The failure to make us care about the films only two human assets is Gravity's greatest weakness. Will Ryan and Kowalsky triumph over the terrors of being stranded in space when their only ride back home has been devastated, or will they float endlessly into the dark abyss until they die slowly of asphyxiation? We have no emotional investment tied to either character, so who cares if they live or die? Maybe Kowalsky is a pedophile who deserves it. I don't know anything about him other than he was at Mardi Gras in 1987 and likes to talk about it.

Ultimately, Gravity is a visual spectacle that elevates the use of 3D in moviemaking to new heights, much like James Cameron did with Avatar. The difference being Cameron told a story, one that we actually cared about. The same can't be said for Gravity.

As much as the movie going audience and critics alike bemoan the use of 3D in modern filmmaking, Gravity shows us that, when done properly, the addition of a third dimension draws us in much closer to the story being told. But if that story isn't engaging and the characters aren't captivating, no amount of floating wrenches and exploding spaceships will transform a lackluster movie into a good one.

I love 3D and hope Gravity's success spurs a second renaissance for the fading technology. If nothing else, this film proves without question that 3D can draw viewers into a movie in a way that standard two dimensions never could. What 3D will never be able to do, however, is create an interesting story where one simply doesn't exist, as is the case with Gravity.

If you have the means to experience this film the way it was intended, you should absolutely do so. It very well may change your opinion on the importance of 3D in movie making. Just don't go in expecting a good movie, because Gravity isn't one.
  24. Feb 21, 2014
    Great movie and one of the best space survival i have ever see. I think is the best movie Sandra bullock have done and was an excellent performance from her. Gz for this great film you have create guys!
  25. Feb 21, 2014
    This is a really good movie and is really well executed.but there is only 3 people in the entire movie and with a budget of 100 million they could have at least showed the shuttle taking of or [spoiler] Sandra bullock being rescued at the end of the movie but after all it is is a really good film and well planned
  26. Feb 20, 2014
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a film maker, so I might be a bit jaded...

But this movie is about as enjoyable as being hit in the face with a big flopy donkey dick, easily one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever seen. Plot? who needs one. Characters? naaa, that's old. Empathy? Depth? development? screw it.

I don't know how a movie can make this many mistakes. besides being
    boring as **** it makes no sense, and from a technical standpoint is ludicrous. I see now why chris hadfield found this movie so hard to swallow.

27. Feb 19, 2014
    I think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but to be fare, I was impress at any moment for anything about them...

Seriously I think is the most overrated films ever!!!!

By the way, the films is full of cliches, the character of clooney is something quite pathetic...
  28. Feb 17, 2014
    When I watched this movie, I thought it was 1998 .. because that was the last time either of these main characters were popular!

The movie looked great ! .. but Clooney and Bullock ! ? are you serious! ..ruined the movie for me.

I could guess everything that was coming, and most parts I just kept thinking " how typical " .. it could of been a great movie, but it was obviously dumbed
    down for the mainstream and from the look of the 8.1 score it has got, it worked ! .. but not for me!

My least favourite part, the country music and good old American boys themed start, god I hated that more that fundamentalist Christians.. they would of loved it though LOL
  29. Feb 16, 2014
    Immediately from seeing the trailer, I wanted to see this movie so badly. My first impression and repeatedly seeing the trailer made me so anxious to see it, and finally I did and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There are some totally tragic parts that I won't spoil, but the whole time it's thrilling watching Dr. Ryan Stone (played by Sandra Bullock) try to escape the space debris and you can't help but root for her. George Clooney's character brings lightness to an otherwise dark and terrifying situation. Also, Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Stone so well that you cringe when she cringes, and can see every aspect of her predicament from how she would be seeing it, which is so great. So overall, Gravity gets a 10 because it was such a gripping, smart movie. Expand
  30. Feb 15, 2014
    Before seeing this movie in theaters, I had a feeling that it was going to be bland. I was right. The 14-word summary on Metacritic ("After debris destroys their space shuttle, two astronauts desperately try to return to Earth.") pretty much sums up the entire, barely-there plot of this movie. With only a handful on on-screen characters, and very little dialogue, the 91 minute runtime of this movie consisted of floating sequences, dull periods of silence, and more floating sequences. While this movie excelled in developing a realistic and encompassing space environment, it is not a movie I would ever see again. Expand
  31. Feb 15, 2014
    "Gravity" was an amazing film. The graphics and animation--- mainly being the fact that it actually looks like it was filmed in space made this film one of my favorites. However not by a whole lot.
  32. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  33. Feb 14, 2014
    The Goods:----------------
    Special effects, best implementation of 3D since Avatar, simple plot yet extremely engrossing, makes you feel like you are in space, great performance by Sandra Bullocks

The Bads:---------------------
    Too short ( 1Hr 20Min), the over obnoxious Goerge Clooney got a bit irritating with his lame space jokes even after such catastrophe occurred, the fact that
    Sandra Bullock simply COULD NOT die ,lol, her actions were starting to get unbelievable and "bollywood" level towards the end......She has friggin 9000 lives ... As you can see, all my "Bads" are nitpicking....
    And those people talking about 1950s feminism of a female astronaut not being able to handle things like a man, pssfftttt Sandra's character is a doctor who got trained for 6 monthsONLY by NASA for this mission. If YOU WERE TRAINED FOR 6 YEARS U WOULD CRAP UR PANTS IF U WERE IN SANDRA's POSITION!
    Sorry for Caps, i got sick of the negative reviews out here...
    All in all, an awesome movie and my favorite for 2013
  34. Feb 12, 2014
    If you have any understanding of physics or general science knowledge or even just common sense you will find yourself scratching your head many times throughout this movie, or like myself just constantly downright frustrated and annoyed.

If you enjoy watching Sandra Bullock screaming, panicking and spinning around in space for an hour, you will have a great time. Double the great time
    if you also enjoy watching her play a lifeless, boring character who you (not so) secretly hope will get hit by satellite debris.

Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the beautiful views of earth and space, and try not to be annoyed by the constant, overly-dramatic transitions from the serene silence of space to loud noises, explosions and heavy breathing.
  35. Feb 12, 2014
    The film is about a woman astronaut that tries to survive in space when a chinese satellite explodes and destroys her spaceshuttle and kills must of her colleagues .The only other survivor, Matt Kowalsky helps her.

The movie had a lot of beatiful special effects, but for me it was quite repetitive.
  36. Feb 12, 2014
    Overrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws in every direction you look at it.

My favourite reviews, especially, are the ones that refer to the film as "realistic", which is nonsense and I don't think I should explain why. The acting is horrible, and honestly I was expecting a little more from Clooney, who's been doing a lot of decent stuff recently. Sandra Bullock's gasps will be everything you hear for a good hour, and I take it they had to write them all down in the screenplay to get it to two pages.

No character development, same trite space story. The struggle for survival and blah blah, while everything I wished was for Sandra Bullock to die already.

Do not give money to this kind of cinema because you help boasting their income and encourage them to continue on this line, and we've had enough of that.
  37. Feb 12, 2014
    Plain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. Not the worst movie of 2013, but certainly not the best. Expand
  38. Feb 11, 2014
    The movie was good except for 1 very important flaw. He is attached to her in a weightless state. Why did he have to unhook? There is no weight to drag her down. He could have floated up to her.
  39. Feb 11, 2014
    Visually, I've never seen anything quite like it. My problem was that I I had a hard time turning off the technician side of my brain. I treated this film as a scenario rather than sci-fi, and frankly, I didn't buy it. (And from the comments I heard recently by the astronauts aboard the ISS who saw the film, neither did they.) Too many laws of physics broken for my taste.

Bullock did a
    fairly good job as Ryan Stone, but Clooney's alpha-male bluster made me want to wretch.

Great effects don't make a great movie. They are supposed to enhance a strong story and 'Gravity' is certainly lacking in that department.

Having said all of that, I was entertained for 90 minutes, so I can't trash this film completely...but a Best Picture nomination...you gotta be kidding me.

Gotta call a spade a spade...'Gravity' is at best a great idea for a simulation ride at Universal Studios, nothing more.
  40. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very boring movie. I was falling asleep. She should have died and at least we'd grieved a tiny bit. Other than awesome visuals, the movie lacks so much. We never did attach to the character because she was so pathetic. The story is empty and void of spiritual dimension. When Matt showed up again was the best scene but it was all a dream??? Expand
  41. Feb 6, 2014
    I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.
    Let’s talk first about the visuals. Earth when viewed from high above the atmosphere, however spectacular, strategically appears like a dirty marble when compared to the glistening metals and soft whites that glow like diamonds against the pitch black space backdrop. Thus, in scenes where Sandra Bullock is drifting away from a wrecked satellite, her coruscating white suit set against the blackness of outer space masterfully emphasizes her isolation, eliciting powerful emotions of fear and solitude. The painstaking effort to render every detail of the satellites not only captures the beauty of the set, but also glorifies the devastation that ensues; tons of satellite debris ricocheting at the speed of a bullet reduce space stations to floating rubble in a manner so remarkably grand and cinematic, all we can do is sit petrified and look on with rapt eyes.
    These special effects are spellbinding but, as is true with all movies, they are useless without the right cinematography to give them depth and relevance. By combining drawn-out shots of slow zero-gravity movement with rapid vertiginous action shots reminiscent of falling in a dream, director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life, Children of Men) uses a myriad of perspectives to create an environment with a feel so multidimensional, it simply cannot be achieved with 3D glasses alone. This spaciousness does not invite us into outer space, but instead shoves us right into it. For ninety minutes, we’re truly alone in space, and it is heart stopping.
    I was shocked to discover the film only cost roughly $100 million to make (compare to $237 million Avatar). However, this may be due in large to the fact that it had only two actors (and a handful of voices). Sandra Bullock and George Clooney essentially carried the film’s entire weight. Although both gave wonderful performances, I have to tip my hat to Bullock. While Clooney’s performance evoked comfortable, Bullock’s Oscar-worthy performance evoked deep, genuine, distressful fear. Every expression was executed with emotive strength; every line was uttered with confident awareness. She truly was the star of the film (pun intended).
    The screenplay, written by Alfonso and his 30-year old son Jonas, approaches science fiction and suspense in an unorthodox fashion, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did. Rife with symbolism and introspective dialogue, Cuarón’s screenplay manages to avoid such science-fiction pitfalls as clichéd vapid characterizations and contrived plot twists. Profound themes, such as the extended metaphor of rebirth, never compete for priority with more superficial themes, such as survival and solitude. For this reason, the film functions as a popcorn-munching blockbuster as well as a thinking and feeling piece of art better than any other blockbuster or art film this year. The way Cuarón handles both ends of the film spectrum with such apparent ease and perpetual attentiveness merits some serious laud (and maybe even an Oscar).
    In the end, Gravity proves to be an experience everyone will enjoy – science aficionados, visual effects buffs, art-house hunters – as long as it is watched in 3D (trust me, the extra seven dollars have never been so worth it).

FINAL SCORE: 100 (perfect)
  42. Feb 3, 2014
    这是一部很美很简单的电影,从画面到情节都很简单,布洛克的独角戏演得不错,配乐不错很渲染气氛。
    但是,这部电影的价值只能在IMAX3D中才可以被释放,只有在那里才可以感受到它的震撼,不然就没什么意思了。
  43. Feb 3, 2014
    "Gravity" is an absolutely magnificent directorial work from Alfonso Cuaron, featuring quite possibly the best performance Sandra Bullock has given in her career, some impossibly superb imagery, and an indelible score.
  44. Feb 1, 2014
    This film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to people with knowledge on Astronomy. Sandra Bullick also acted horribly and unrealistically, no depth to her character at all, just strange reactions and boring backstory on her daughter. One thing I'll give it is the cinematography is superb but if you have a background on Astronomy DON'T WATCH THIS FILM! It will frustrate the **** out of you.  Expand
  45. Feb 1, 2014
    Flawed Science and so dull. I was forced to bet with myself how many times the characters would miss the vital piece of space equipment before finally saving themselves again. Ghastly waste of time
  46. JFT
    Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst the premise is fairly original and the acting perfectly adequate, the overall plot comes off as repetitive and dragged out. After the third round of deadly debris it becomes hard to sympathize for the protagonist, and the dire, hopeless situation becomes almost humourous as she floats away to the third space station, only just managing to escape the debris, of course. The saving grace of this film is the overall cinema experience it provides, though given the bland plot its replay value is practically non-existent. The DVD and Blu-Ray copies of 'Gravity' will sit on the shelf gathering dust. Expand
  47. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before reading this, i want you to know that I've seen Gravity in 2D (Blueray) yes I'm that guy.
    Gravity is studding visual masterpiece even in 2D, i will definitely watch it in 3D if i had the chance to,
    the Story is a survival story nonetheless and Sandra Bullock acting was over the top,
    However i hated George Clooney, i know he suppose to be the fun factor in the movie,
    but he was terrible, and I'm talking about the performance and the character,
    i mean "I Hope NASA have insurance because there is a lot of damage" seriously?
    and he's out there telling stories and making space jokes, that's totally killed it for me,
    but I'm not gonna judge the entire movie because of a secondary character but i wish he didn't exist.
    The music was beautiful and the whole atmosphere is just remarkable,
    but i was disappointment because of the fact that the movie is one hour 20 minutes
    but overall a wonderful experience and a must watch movie.
  48. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra
    Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  49. Jan 27, 2014
    The movie`s visual and sound effects are outstanding, but the lack of characters on the story makes it suprisingly boring at some parts, thats probably why the short duration of the movie.
  50. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't watch this movie in an Imax theatre, so maybe the "ahh" factor what might be the reason that people are giving this movie such ludicrous high ratings all over the board eludes me, but in my opinion it's an aggravatingly bad movie.
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a
    realistic "current time" sci-fi movie/drama, but it crashes and burns with monstrous factual errors. after the fourth physics-defying scene i couldn't watch it anymore.
    Probably a great movie if you can suspend your disbelief, but the pretence of this movie is you don't.
  51. Jan 27, 2014
    Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters. This movie definately does not deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but im afraid more than 5 or 6 is pushing it. The movie had the potential, it just did not deliver Expand
  52. Jan 26, 2014
    I spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so much but I guess it was because everyone these days are stupid and can't think about anything but the simplest things that that go on. I say to the people who made this movie go and watch an episode of doctor who and then look at this movie. I am saying you guys suck and British people are so much better. Go take a lesson from Steven Moffat because he knows how to write an amazing story line and keep it going and make it better as it goes on. I will never watch a movie that is made by you and I will tell all of my friends the same thing I told them about Gravity that it sucked and is waste of time and money and no one in their right mind should go see it. Before I go might i just add that the acting sucked as well I hated that actors that you got they absolutely sucked and should never act again. Expand
  53. Jan 26, 2014
    Yes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death with Sandra Bullock's exaggerated acting that makes you don't care what is going to happen. Expand
  54. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie is bad and equally as overrated as uncharted 3 even the secret life of Walter Mitty was better than this steaming pile of **** **** this movie to hell it doesn't deserve all of this praise the story is the combination of uncharted 3 and ratchet size matters and sonic heroes that's a pretty bad sign since the new Mario games suck.
  55. Jan 25, 2014
    I am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I would have prefered a stronger character fighting to live for what they had back home rather than having Bullock's character have really nothing to live for. What I did like about the movie was the special effects. They were amazing to watch. Maybe I would have enjoyed Gravity more if I saw it in IMAX but on a regular screen it was majorly lacking. Expand
  56. Jan 24, 2014
    Stunningly executed. I forgive it for minor errors because it is a movie, after all. Sandra Bullock convinced me particularly as Dr Ryan Stone and her performance was amazing. The visuals were brilliant, my favorites about it were the long panned shots.
  57. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Nerve Racking.'' Delivers maximum fright. Believe me, Gravity is unlike you've ever seen. Full of Thrills and spectacle. Sandra Bullock gives a jaw-dropping performance, The Best performance of her career. What will you do, if you have left up there, 400 miles above the earth, with completely silence and without gravity? You won't see anything like Gravity, and you will never see again.Gravity shows what special effects could do. Surely, the best use of special effects in the history of filmmaking. Gravity is a horrifying experience none of us could have imagined. Expand
  58. Jan 23, 2014
    One of the most over-rated films in the modern era. At times truly ungripping, this film is just about saved by some breath-taking cinematography. But you can only gawp at breaking machinery and planet Earth for so long, and after about 20 minutes the film settles into a distinctly average film and much like the main character I can't wait to return to Earth.
  59. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  60. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In visual terms "Gravity" is overwhelming with those images of the Earth. The infinity and immensity of the universe is beautifully put into the picture . The insignificance of man in this intolerable environment gives you a constant tightness . However, I think that you only get that overwhelming feeling when you watch this movie in the cinema. On a normal LCD TV in the living room there's not much left of this space spectacle. And that's quite a damper on the expected experience because the story on its own isn't really that much of a deal. I think it's a great achievement to create such an entertaining film with this simple story and only two characters constantly on the screen.

I sat almost the entire movie on the edge of the sofa cause of the tension. The movie has a surprisingly fast pace. It's one situation after the other . But if you omit the stunning CGI and forget about the probably impressive 3D images , there remains nothing else than a boring tedious blockbuster. And they made such a big fuss about it. A big hype over nothing, my guess. Reading roughly through the remarks at IMDb I'm not the only one with that idea. I also found it disturbing that someone can be so unlucky in just one day . Chronologically all this happens: the shuttle gets hit by debris resulting in some casualties and one person (Bullock) floating in space, she's picked up again by Clooney , but is almost without oxygen , with his thruster pack they go on their way to the ISS , they smash into it and Clooney releases himself heroically to rescue Bullock, almost choking she enters the ISS , a fire breaks out and she has to disconnect the Soyuz , the Soyuz gets tangled to a parachute, the ISS is destroyed by debris , the Soyuz has no fuel , Bullock uses the burners for landing, she reaches the Chinese space station using a fire extinguisher , goes into the atmosphere , and even though she doesn't understand Chinese she lands safely by randomly pressing the right buttons. That's not enough though. She almost drowns also after the landing . It wouldn't be a surprise she'll never ever join a space trip again in her life.

Although the two main actors are not the least , they can't make the film look better. Sandra Bullock didn't convince me as being a scientist with high intellect . She looked more like a Miss America who won a space trip . Clooney was so extremely charming and gallant in space. I expected every moment that he would serve a delicious Nespresso. And then realizing that the making of this empty movie needed $ 100 million. They could have made a few better movies with that kind of money. And I won't mention the technical and scientific impossibilities as they are described by a NASA expert on Wikipedia. But OK, otherwise it would be a even more boring and dead serious flick .And it should be entertaining, not ? Unlike many other spectators, I didn't think the moment where Ryan starts barking and howling like a dog was ridiculous or silly.For me it was rather a touching moment.

Conclusion : a gem in imaging, but as space itself , it is an airless story. It feels more like a black hole
  61. Jan 20, 2014
    While the movie has some of the dialogues that are forgetable and its story is not Oscar-worthy, Gravity's cinematography and visual effects will take your breath away since Avatar and this movie will only be loved by people who appreciate its beauty.
  62. Jan 19, 2014
    For a movie that prides it self on accuracy, it seems to have none. Even if you take the whole intro for granted, there was a scene that pissed me off (spoliers) ---->

When she gets caught in the station and captures the other astronaut there is something pulling them away. Do they not understand the conecpt of zero G, there is nothing pulling anyone, like really come on. You could at
    least make a plot that didn't have as many holes as this

end of spoilers TLDR non realistic unnecessarily full of plot holes
  63. Jan 18, 2014
    GRAVITY!!!!! this was a brilliant film from start to finish. This film should be viewed in 3D but would also be the same in 2D the acting was great and the movie always kept you at the edge of your seat. overall was just an amazing film 9/10
  64. Jan 18, 2014
    Gravity is the best movie in years with its brilliant cinematography, terrific score and an ending that is one of a kind. No movie since Avatar has created astonishing visuals that transform a movie into a stunning work of art. Alonso Cuaron has created a cinematic masterpiece that sets a new standard in visual effects.
  65. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stole the show completely for me. He was phenomenal in this film. Certainly worthy of the Oscars it could receive for direction and others, but leave the acting ones for some of the better performances of the year, in my opinion. Expand
  66. Jan 17, 2014
    Dr. Ryan Stone is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.
    Release date: October 4, 2013 (USA)
    Director: Alfonso Cuarón
    Running time: 91 minutes
    MPAA rating: PG-13
    Budget: 100 million USD
    EXHIBE FLIX (www.exhibeflix.com)
  67. Jan 17, 2014
    Gravity is a visceral, dark and horrifying experience. But it is also one of the most hopeful and inspirational films I have ever seen.

The film is far more enjoyable the less you know before going into it, but from the trailers you have already seen that it is about two astronauts caught in a tidal wave of chaos as they are thrown into certain doom in outer space.
    The simplicity of
    its plot benefits the film and reinforces it's core architectural foundations. It is a film that wants you to experience everything it's two characters are experiencing. All these feelings that are passed onto us as the viewer and are emphasized via the use of some amazingly placed POV shots, sound and subliminal imagery.
    The result of all this, is a film that only gave me a couple of occasions in which I could release my firm grip form the arms of my chair, and breathe again. And I bloody loved it.

The imagery that I spoke of earlier is something that cannot be talked about in any kind of detail with possibly detracting from what makes it so special. The concepts of loss, denial acceptance and rebirth are the most prominent, but there are also various nods at the journey of mankind and our downfall.

In the day and age where special effects are in just about every film, Gravity delivers a marvel of visual effects that are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.
    From gorgeous shots spanning the earth from outer space, to space stations tearing themselves apart throwing millions of particles across the screen all at once. The film does not do anything that is out of character. These effects, could be real. And if you let go of whatever else is going on in your life for just a short while, you may get dragged in, and lost. And that is the experience that is well worth the price of admission.

I cannot emphasize enough how astonishing Gravity is. In truth, it may be one of the most successfully realized films I have ever seen. One of the many thoughts that lingered with me long after I left my chair in the theatres was "How bloody long am I going to have to wait until this is out on Blu-ray?"

A 10.

Jack Valentine
  68. Jan 16, 2014
    This movie is great, it is perfect, a masterpiece, the movie made me feel like I was in space, the 3D was actually pretty good in fact it's the best I've seen ever, Sandra Bullock, and Alfonso Cuaròn deserve an Oscar for doing their best work, so this is my favorite movie of 2013, It is an 10/10 it is just perfect.
  69. Jan 16, 2014
    I saw this in 4DX , the 3d was the best i ve ever seen amazing but feeling it with moving seats. HOLY ****!!!! The work was brilliant.. No air , no sound no nothing unly the breathing and the tension was too much to handle at the beginning, even i felt dizzy at times. nice script nice idea. very very impressive!
  70. Jan 16, 2014
    Gravity is a below average movie with STUNNING visuals. The idea and science behind it is very interesting, but the execution of the story is pretty bad. It's riddled with cliches and jaw-droppingly ridiculous moments which can only exist in Hollywood. The action sequences are spectacular though, and the sound-effects top-notch. Give it a try if you like eye-candy, but avoid it at all costs if you're craving anything with substance. Expand
  71. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I guess everything has already been said about the beauty and the credibility of the special effects. This is the best of imax and 3d technology since avatar. It is strictly impossible to be bored during the 90mn of the movie.
    However, in my opinion, there is an overreaction about the scenario and the acting... George Clooney acts like George clooney, the brilliant , funny, brave and so cute astronaut. Completely uninteresting.
    Moreover, I didn't find Sandra's Bullock performance so incredible. Always the same story of a young and brilliant scientific who suffered a serious trauma... I almost felt embarrassed during the dog scene.
    Furthermore, it is not entirely the fault of the actors. The most disturbing thing was the dialogs, simplistic and predictable. Same opinion about the script : the Russian are guilty again, the heroic Clooney sacrifices his life for the beautiful girl, and, thanks to her courage and her love for her son, she manages to save herself... very conventional.
    I'll compare this movie to Avatar: a wonderful coating but nothing inside.
  72. Jan 16, 2014
    The first 20 minutes of this film are amazing - visually stunning. After that its a one dimensional narrative in a 3D format : how will they get from A to B? There's no story, nothing interesting in the characters. The single bit of drama turns out to be a really stupid 'dream' sequence which is a kop out. And an easy ending. I don't know how this film has achieved any nominations.
  73. Jan 15, 2014
    Believe the hype this is an amazing film. It truly is. You may have seen survival films before but not like this. Go see it now.

Unlike many films set in space this focuses on realism. You'll find no aliens in this film, no laser guns and no space battles. Instead this shows us a snap shot of how astronauts working in space, notably the difficulty in operating in a completely hostile
    environment.

Many people will watch this film and love this visuals especially if seen in 3D. Whilst I agree it looks great in 3D seeing this in 2D would still be impressive. But even if the visuals weren't impressive this would still be a very memorable film.

I was mostly impressed with how space is presented; not as a beautiful, magical area with endless wonder, exploration and potential for adventure (like sailing the seven seas). But instead space is shown to be an environment where the slightest thing changing or going wrong results in death or the threat of death. Even with high degrees of safety and training we cannot control this environment. And the physics which applies to space I've had a concept of but never seen just how different it is to Earth is shown to be a danger itself. WOW.

Onto the characters. There is only two of them. And both do a great job with George Clooney easily portraying the calm, experienced astronaut; Sandra Bullock portraying the technical proficient and capable yet flawed and inexperienced astronaut. Well done to both of them for giving a very memorable performance.

Lastly I want to praise the running time of the film. Too often I see movies which run long because it is seen as best practice. The result is a drawn out story which can loose audience interest and therefore fail to entertain us. At 91 minutes long it absolutely captives you from start to finish. I would rather see a very concisely told story that is only 1.5 hours long than sit through a so-called 3 hour epic which is uninteresting, unnecessarily long and not entertaining in segments (e.g. The Hobbit).

Go see the film of 2013 today.
  74. Jan 14, 2014
    Another standard issue vapid hollywood action movie. They make astronauts out to be a bunch of no talent ass clowns who lose their **** in a crisis. And physics does not work that way. Come up with some more plausible plot twists that aren't completely deus ex machina.
  75. Jan 14, 2014
    This film has no story line, no action, no, well, anything worth watching a film for really. The acting might be okay and the visuals etc, but it is just way too boring. Very overrated.
  76. Jan 13, 2014
    Gravity is the definition of a perfect movie. It might be boring if you were expecting an action or Sci-Fi movie, but I personally had no idea of what I was going to watch the moment I bought my tickets, then, when I came out from the cinema, I was delighted.
  77. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. first sorry about my English, it's not my main language! The movie gravity bring us amazing story of 2 astronauts that's on a simple mission. to fix satellite. but when the Russians decide to destroy their own satellite, the movie starts. the movie is amazing! first i will talk about the effects and sound : they are amazing! amazing long shots with awesome effect and spine- tingling sound, makes us feel like we drifting in space with Sandra bullock, that playing amazing in this movie, and carry it all by herself. the story isn't complicated, but the way Alfonso Caron tell us the story, is amazing. i can tell you tons of good thing about the movie, but why should i? just go and watch the movie and you will understand what i mean. 1010! Expand
  78. Jan 12, 2014
    I almost fell asleep half way through this movie out of boredom. This film feels like this: imagine there is a trashcan on top of the hill. A woman jumps in it and starts rolling down the hill. Trash fal out of the can and she falls out of it too. A bit later she catches the trashcan and jumps in it again and starts rolling down the hill again. And then the hole thing repeats.... But don't worry, they have a simple trick to wake you up. A cougar will pop up in her underwear just in the right time to keep you awake or from moving away from the movie....if you like cougars, of course. You can watch much more interesting IMAX movie about Earth seen from space, no need to watch cougar jumping from can to can in her underwear. Expand
  79. Jan 11, 2014
    This film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my face appeared to have more emotion that that of Sandra Bullock's Dr Ryan. Both she and Clooney (playing the somewhat garrulous astronaut Kowalski) appeared to be going through the motions giving underwhelming performances. As the film progressed the situations Dr Ryan found herself in became increasingly more ridiculous. It all begins with the Russians bombing their own satellite by accident (already, facepalm) creating debris and initiating a chain-reaction of events. And yes, the physics of it all was not as accurate as some might want you to believe. Clichés galore, let's also chuck in a side-story about the protagonist's massive personal loss from her recent past - to make her more approachable? Likable? Believable? Oh, wait, to add the existential dilemma needed for added emotional gravitas to the film! Right….. Yet one would be able to suspend their belief if the dialogue supported it. In this film, it didn't. It was, frankly, quite juvenile at times. This could of been for me the masterpiece others saw had more effort been put in parts of the plot and most of the dialogue (the later being what I'm holding responsible for both Bullock and Clooney's subpar performances). In summary, NOT the innovative masterpiece expected, however a watchable pop-corn movie nonetheless. Expand
  80. Jan 10, 2014
    Like Paul Walker's movie Hours, this movie did great even though the movie centers on a small cast. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, both great actors, perform great again. The special effects are great, and my favorite scenes are the conversations. While the plot is simple, and the movie a bit too short, this movie is one of the better movies in 2013.

If you liked this review, read
    my other ones by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. I also do reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows and video games. Expand
  81. Jan 10, 2014
    A near perfect experience from a director that has brought to us not merely a film but a true accomplishment. Visually stunning, an experience truly out of this world. My only quibble was that even though admittedly there was little to flaw Sandra Bullock's performance, I just did not feel she had the gravitas to carry it the weight of such a grand cinematic achievement on her shoulders.
  82. Jan 9, 2014
    Cool effects, but did bad science. Also, why is someone who works in a hospital (who happens to be a woefully incompetent astronaut) playing with electronics on Hubble?
  83. Jan 9, 2014
    Visually amazing but boring as f*ck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  84. Jan 8, 2014
    A movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional and opening the airlock of it is actually a cool idea for the reunion cliche.

This movie is a litmus paper to stupidity and the ratings show the average brain power of people who watched this movie.
  85. Jan 7, 2014
    Technically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientific gripes, the problems stem with the fact that the film tries to be two things at once, a thriller and a lament on psychology. If youve seen children of men, you will undoubtably see how Curon was forced to make jarring pacing follies. That said and done, one must note what is probably the best score of the year. It is nigh perfect for every scene and moment. The visuals too must be praised as they suck you into each and every moment. Sadly though, like Avatar, this technical perfection lacks soul and good storytelling. This is only magnified by the fact that it's Alfonso Curon we are talking about. Hopefully with the Hollywood cred he's now achieved he will bring us something worth while with his next effort. Expand
  86. Jan 6, 2014
    Yes the 3D is impressive because we, the viewer, are unaware of the detailed view of the international space station but after that we are watching a very mediocre film. What's the George Clooney character all about?
  87. Jan 3, 2014
    The best movie of the year. Gives the most exciting experience. Performances are extraordinary. The movie that brings you into space where there is no sound and no oxygen.
  88. Jan 3, 2014
    An amazing film.
    The quality of the visuals is outstanding, all of the cast (even if there are only 3 of them) give brilliant performances, the plot may be thin but it's like nothing you have ever seen before and the score is totally immersing. It may not be better than Captain Phillips, but it is still a masterpiece.
  89. Jan 3, 2014
    The dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable and only casually enjoyable. Instead Cuaron takes this simplistic framework and fills it with relentless physical tension, humbling cosmic scenery, and (most importantly, and most overlooked) a dread-inducing score. The sensation of watching a film that is so visceral yet so filled with physical nothingness is unrelentingly haunting. Clooney and Bullock are on form, but it hardly matters. The symphonic mastery of the action by itself makes this easily the best new film I've seen in months, maybe years. Proof that great movies are really only about entertainment. Expand
  90. Jan 2, 2014
    Very good Alfonso Cuaron, you did it right, with just one stage, and two experimented actors you made an amazing suspense sci-fi movie. But why the story and the dialogue has to be so limited? I think you could done something better.
    Anyway, Gravity is the perfect movie for someone who loves visual effects and intense scenes of drama.
  91. Jan 1, 2014
    This has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make you feel more connected but it was like throwing tomatoes at a wall. Sorry but I did not connect to any of the characters. Oscar worthy? I have to call BS. Simple survival story in space? Get a grip. Poorly written, good visuals. Feels like it was written under pressure. Sorry but I do not recommed this film at all. Expand
  92. Dec 31, 2013
    I believe it's a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the most awe inspiring visual achievements of all time, so it's a shame that the story and emotional content cannot live up to the visual content. It's too thin and the movie feels too short. The characters, when they are in the movie, are for the most part dull. However, the visuals are brilliant, and should be enough to keep most people amazed, IF they can understand well enough how to appreciate it.

Gravity gets 8.4/10
  93. Dec 30, 2013
    Film of the year. Now that you've read that go see the film NOW!! Continue reading this review once you have seen it. This film gets everything right. Acting, directing, screenplay, camera( first person views! effects, production design, 3D that's good!) and music. It's an inspiring sci fi thriller that not only redifines the genre, but cinema itself. Just like Avatar did, and just like Alien did. This is revolutionary. Expand
  94. Dec 30, 2013
    İzlediğim en iyi gerilim filmlerinden bir tanesiydi. Özellikle uzaydaki o meteor parçaların uzay istasyonuna çarpınca kalbim yerinden çıkacak gibi oluyordu...
  95. Dec 28, 2013
    This si a great film that has several stars but Sandra Bullock takes the cake. This has much futurism with great reality, the filming is great, an the 3D effect is subtle yet adds much to the enjoyment of the film. Being tossed out is space left to see what will happen is a fear in some way shape or form we all have. The digital filming if right on top. This will be nominated for several awards. See it, sit back, and enjoy it. Expand
  96. Dec 28, 2013
    When I was watching it I thought it is going to be a movie about the beautiful pictures and stuff. Didn't expect a great storyline, intresting characters. But I was WRONG! This movie wasn't just beautiful and stunning, but I was sooo excited through the whole movie. The only problem with it was Sandras breathtaking, it was really loud, but seemed realistic.
  97. Dec 28, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron (aided by the masterful cameraman Emmanuel Lubezki and an astonishing, Oscar-worthy performance by Sandra Bullock) have creating a stunning, genre-defining work that ranks as one of the year's best.
  98. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  99. Dec 26, 2013
    This movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole movie. Expand
  100. Dec 26, 2013
    Gravity is stunningly good-looking. The obscure cinematography not only makes for an unusual viewing experience, but an engaging and physical one at that. Alfonso Cuarón has cleverly manipulated our viewing experience to mirror the weightlessness and tension of life in space the film left me disorientated and breathless. For a very short film, it's a surprisingly tiring yet rewarding watch. Sandra Bullock is very good, once again disproving the assumptions surrounding her, and although the plot is thin on the grounds, with a fairly painful ending, the film holds together spectacularly. It looks good, sounds amazing and feels exciting this is a very multi-dimensional film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.