7.8

1. Feb 25, 2015
    I saw nothing special about this film, if I admit that the effects are great but the plot is very limited and that end is very simple, I cannot see what all they commented on it.
  2. Feb 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so, obviously, there are a lot of people that did not like the movie. While they're entitled to their own opinions, I think the biggest reason for their disappointment are these two reasons: the plot, and the actual "science" of the film

First, we'll start off with the plot. Really, the entire basis of the plot is that, during a space walk, a large debris field is created that threatens the lives of all the people that are on the United Sates' Explorer (a rocket). That's it. But, if you look a little deeper, you'll see that there's more to it than that. You see, the story is really character driven. You're supposed to care for Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney). The story is entirely about Stone. It is about her learning to live life instead of just "driving," or in other words, just living. After she lost her daughter, she never fully coped. In fact, she just went as life went. Job, space, whatever. They were just things to her. Nothing was really important other than her job. But when she is in space, her problems become clearer, and she is able to deal with them. My favorite part of the movie is actually when, after being untethered from her companion, she falls asleep in the fetal position. In this scene, the tether is seen in the background, giving the appearance of a fetus; it's symbolism of her being reborn. Now, to me, there were really two separate plots, the first, the debris cloud, was very weak; however, the second, the story of her coming to grips with her daughter's death, was very strong. In fact, it is the strongest part of the film, and it is the reason that critics fell in love with it. I think that the people who don't like the movie either missed this plot, or they could not connect with it. I was someone who could connect with it, and very easily so.

Now, the second complaint about the movie is the "science" part of it. Firstly, there are many errors that were made mostly with the physics. Actually, the whole premise of the space debris cloud is impossible. The locations of the Chinese and Russian stations are also changed to match the plot. What I don't understand about this complaint is the fact that this movie is "science fiction." Because it is fiction, as a movie writer, they changed facts. Actually, the definition of science fiction means that it is based off of a future (unless it is in the present) that has imagined scientific advancements and technologies. Now, technically speaking, a movie can change the facts of life. If someone wanted to make a movie where the was absolutely no gravity on earth, they could do that. If they wanted to make a movie where water was really soda, they could do that as well. Just because they made many changes from actual reality does not make this a bad film. Sure, you can easily spot what they got wrong, but if you do that, you'll miss all of the things that they got right!

Now, for my actual review. This movie is beautiful. I mean, it contains some of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. Earth viewed by from space is a stunning back drop. Actually, space itself is beautiful in this movie. However, what I thought they did very well was that they took something beautiful (the stillness and awe inspiring aspects of earth and space) and they showed us that it is equally as dangerous as it is beautiful. That, despite us being able to go to space, with out the things we've created, there is no possible way to stay alive there. That it is dangerous. That it is an endless wall of black, and that when untethered, we will float endlessly to our deaths in it.

Other than the beauty, what I thought was best about this movie was the drama. Sure, the special effects are great, but the depth of the characters were amazing. We only got to see the shell of Ryan Stone until the very end of the movie. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that by the end, she still didn't care whether she lived or died. But the reasons for that changed. She didn't care because she knew she was trying, and she knew that she was fighting, and because of those two reasons, she knew that she was living. She'd finally dealt with her problems and she was at ease. She knew that it didn't matter anymore because her life had been well lived: she had had a daughter, she had gone to space, she had survived for as long as she had, and if she died, at least she'd be doing it while feeling alive.

So, at the end of the movie, when she finally takes her last steps, she knows that she made it. That she gets a second chance to live her life. That she's no longer going to be "just riding." And that is her greatest triumph as she takes her first steps on earth. The promise of her new life that could have only been achieved by going through the travesty of surviving her ordeal in space. And those final steps, paired with the emotional score, are the most triumphant final steps taken from any movie. And if you can see that, you'll enjoy it as well.
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    boring movie, good looking if not enough, if i want see earth from space without history, i can see nasa channel. anyway,this movie is worth see it, just for the awesome images from space. you can put mute.
  4. Feb 7, 2015
    Critic reviews are way too high. I admit, the effects are very real and interesting but the concept is so boring. The girl is a great actor, but the thrills of imminent death just aren't enough to make up for the emptiness of space and the movie itself.
  5. Feb 5, 2015
    Earth to Sandra B

Earth to Sandra B

All the praise for Gravity is pretty much warranted. It's a refreshing and original, almost real-time, almost science-factual, not-too-outer- space thriller. But not enough credit has been given to Sandra Bullock. I've never been a big fan of Ms B. I passed her off as a light-weight Rom-Com ditz with a pretty face. She recently won a Best Actor Oscar for a film I have no intention of ever watching. She's just a tad too airy and fluffy for my taste. But she manages to weigh in with gravitas in Gravity and pull off a harrowing yet seemingly effortless performance. She's in frame for most of the 90 minutes and we never tire of watching her. Above all, and the true mark of a great performance, you can't imagine anyone else playing the role. The part was originally slated for the overrated Angelina Jolie, but i can't imagine Jolie giving it much credibility. Bullock's performance is delicate and well-balanced here, very physical in her desperate attempts for survival, yet intimate and understated, considering the circumstances. I was surprised by the way she carried the movie, alone for the most part (accompanied by Emmanuel Lubezki's glorious weightless and wandering camera floating in and out of close ups and stalking and twirling around her obsessively), talking to herself, trying to hang on to her sanity and maintain her wits to keep alive to return to earth, mind and body intact. She could have pulled it off alone without GQ Clooney altogether. The only other person I can imagine in this role is Jessica Chastain, who has a distinctive edge about her. But Bullock never rubs us the wrong way. She may not convince anyone that she's a brilliant scientist, but she won me over by evoking life's instinctual resolve, and convincing us how precious and precarious life can be. She's nearly 50, a movie actress for more than 2 decades, and still as cute as a button. To her credit, she never attempts to do more than she's capable of. That is, she isn't pretentious or over-reaching. She's sensitive yet comfortable with herself. Assertive yet vulnerable. I'm a Bullock fan now. I look forward to seeing more of her. I trust she will only improve with age. Bravo Sandra!
  6. Jan 30, 2015
    Quite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieveQuite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieve so much praise? Great visuals? Cool, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Creepy soundtrack that sets the mood? Fair enough, great, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Great cinematography? Yes! I love that, but none of any of that matters in the end if I feel no care or affection for anything about or in the movie. Another well made thrill ride that deserves max a like, 6 or 7/10. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2015
    Visually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's bestVisually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's best efforts. My first viewing, I had a much higher opinion of this film, swept up in the hype surrounding it and blinded by its technical accomplishment. My second viewing, issues with the story (or lack of) were magnified and severely detracted from the film. Expand
  8. Jan 21, 2015
    Visually Impressive but really that's all there is to it. Alfonso Cuaron's space opus is 90 mins of Sandra Bullock explaining the plot to herself. The film is literally devoid of ideas.
  9. Jan 12, 2015
    Though the screenplay is nothing noteworthy and by the third act the repetitive story line begins to seem tedious (even at a mere 90 minutes), the visuals are an outstanding accomplishment on the technical side of film-making.
  10. Jan 4, 2015
    This film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are aThis film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are a little forced and dull but nothing too majorly wrong with that. The visuals are BEAUTIFUL, best part of the film easily! Additionally, Alfonso Cuaron uses his trademark long tracking shots which look awesome in this film by the way, but i still see his best work as Children of Men. Lastly, the ending and what it was meant to be symbolising was so obvious that i must admit it is kinda painful to watch, but i can see where they were going with it. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    Una obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de verUna obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de ver antes de morir. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2015
    WAY overrated. For a thriller, this was actually very good. The suspense almost... made it feel like the air became more dense. But the problem was the lack of storyline. It was quite short and just delayed parts of the story with too long suspense. Overall, a pretty good movie.
  13. Dec 26, 2014
    I really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big failI really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big fail and waste of time. Rating this movie with more than 0 proves bad taste. I dont see any reason to give more than a 0 rating to this movie, maybe somebody can enlighten me Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2014
    Gravity teaches kids not to be astronauts,Ahhaha Joke.Gravity Is just stunning especially 3D !The Movie is terrifying in some ways is because you feel you're they're struggling to survive!!
  15. Dec 21, 2014
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The only praise anybody ever gives this film is how "visually stunning" it is. It seems as if plenty of intelligent people have mentally devolved after seeing Gravity, because apparently substance no longer matters, and visuals are enough to make a good movie.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well have watched a movie about pieces of metal floating in space. Oh wait, they have that! It's called "Space Junk"! You know, I heard that was the original working title for this movie, too!
    The story sucks, to put it plainly. Sandra Bullock's story is completely generic and uninteresting, and pretty much occupies the entire film after the rather intense opening. Let me be clear, I don't want to dispute that the movie is breathtaking on a technical level, but without any interesting motives or characters, and absolutely zero valuable ideas or concepts expressed, who cares? Apparently everyone. Go watch Transformers, you mouth breathers.
    Graphics don't make the game good, pretty colors don't make the painting good, and being catchy doesn't make a song good. Visuals don't make a movie good. Sometimes, they make it awful. Gravity is awful.
  16. Dec 19, 2014
    This is what I was thirsty to watch on the big screen. James Cameron was right when he said that "Gravity" is the best space-thematic movie ever.
    Director Alfonso Cuarón brings us a striking story, with Sandra Bullock as the main character.
    This might be the next "Avatar", in terms of production, cinematography, production design, visual effects, sound effects and score. Everything in this movie is revolutionary. Trully, Cuarón might just have revolutionized the way of shooting a movie with huge amount of CGI. That guy deserves my respect.
  17. Dec 11, 2014
    Summary: Gravity is stressful, engrossing, well acted and consistently frightening despite its thin plot. 94/100 [A-]

The film takes you into a suffocating atmosphere and plays with your mind at times. The special effects are mind blowing and it doesn't matter if you see it in 3D or 2D, the experience is great. It's true that its narrative is thin, it hasn't a huge or complex plot, but it's quite curious because it proves that a movie doesn't need to be rich in storytelling to be great. Gravity has enough visuals and superb performances to succeed. I saw it with very high expectations and it didn't disappoint me, it definitely deserves its high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (96/100 and 97% respectively) it was awesome. I couldn't breath during the whole film and my heart was racing, I almost had a heart attack watching this.

Gravity is undoubtedly the most thrilling film of 2013, because it keeps you on the edge of your seat all time. I'm calling it now one of the best movies of the year. Gravity does not need a complex storyline or a confusing script (Cough, cough... Interstellar, cough cough) the plot of the film is easy to follow and is understandable. I loved it too because you empathize with the characters, they aren't boring scientists, they are humans and the dialog between them feels realistic and genuine. Moving on, it doesn't matter if you see it on a small TV or on your laptop the experience still great, I could watch this flick like a hundred times and never get bored. I also want to add that the musical score is so enjoyable and orgasmic!

On the upside, Gravity is highly entertaining, scary, 100% stressful and unforgettable; It has top-notch special effects and its ending is epic. See it if you have high expectations or if you're a fan of the horror genre, also if you liked some other films from this amazing director. I'm pretty sure that fans from writer/director Alfonso Cuarón won't be disappointed. I also recommend it if you expect some bizarre or gruesome moments. On the downside, its plot is may be thin for some people, but to me, as I said above it doesn't need a big plot to be an excellent film. In conclusion, Gravity is a terrific piece of work that boasts the best CGI I've seen in my life, a stunning performance by Sandra Bullock, lots of humanity and a memorable musical score. [A-]
  18. Dec 9, 2014
    Visually stunning and impeccably filmed, "Gravity" is an entertainingly thoughtful science fiction thriller that can be either masterfully directed and smartly plotted.
  19. Dec 3, 2014
    Sorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, andSorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, and the dog voice, the baby's voice. It is irritatting my human sense. I hate the role of Clooney and his long boring words. Expand
  20. Dec 1, 2014
    What a boring and predictable movie! Don't waste your time! The only good thing about this movie is the cinematography and the special effects... Way overrated!
  21. Dec 1, 2014
    Resisted watching the flick for a while, because personally biased against both main actors. As expected, both the script and acting were really poor - any high school drama club would have done much better job.
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!

The reason why I did watch and why I wanted to write the review is the undue praise by science community. This flick is NOT sound scientifically at all. There are multiple mistakes and flaws in logic. To list a few:
    - The GPS satellites could not be taken down by the same event (they are at a lot higher altitude).
    - The sound does not conduct in vacuum, which they stated, but for some reason could not resist putting in the movie.
    - There is a huge misunderstanding of momentum of motion. And after boosters are activated in the Russian pod. Both the pod and Bullock travel at the same speed - there is no way for her to slow down with a little canister of fire extinguisher (to say nothing about the fact that activating booster would not be controllable and landing at Chinese station is virtually impossible).
    - The astronauts do not wizz by around the station and would not be able to float from station to station.
    - In general, there are a lot of childish scenes about the space stations: they can't chat via the microphone after station is destroyed (they are not on cell phones in there). Stoned Sandra would not be able to hack into Russian capsule computer to fool it... or activate Chinese satellite for that matter.

I will give a couple stars for cinematography and for an attempt to stay true to science, but instead of praising this meek stab at sci-fi, people who can think should discard it as a worthless Hollywood fluff.
  22. Nov 30, 2014
    Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
  23. Nov 27, 2014
    Few ever films have showed that little and have expressed that much in that short amount of time. This is far beyond stars and universe... in its simplicity we can find grandeur, excellency. This movie is transcendental.
  24. Nov 24, 2014
    Gravity proves that science fiction can still be very interesting without warp speed, teleporters or spacecrafts fighting. Based on the impossibility of life in space, movie presents modern day space technology with excellent visuals, good acting and somewhat gripping story. Quiet soundtrack also adds to the great atmosphere. Although not a classic, it is easily a must watch.
  25. Nov 23, 2014
    HOLY CRAP. This is one of the most tense, awe-filled experiences I've ever had! Cuaron is a MASTER and he knows how to sketch characters you quickly attach yourself to, a story that is both filled with tenderness and terror, and cinematic techniques that so very brilliantly disorient the viewer, it feels as if you're wheeling through space. AMAZING.
  26. Nov 23, 2014
    Gravity es una película que aunque contiene unos muy buenos efectos visuales a lo largo de la historia que abarca el film, contiene algunos fallos (no me refiero a lo técnico).

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los primeros 15 minutos, luego de eso ya la película empieza a buscar soluciones para encajar bien las piezas del final, pero, esas soluciones hacen que la película se torne aburrida, simplona y fastidiosa hasta que llegan los últimos 15 minutos.

Así que, en general, Gravity es una película fastidiosa en donde si no has visto la película, solo basta con ver los primeros 15 minutos y los últimos 15 para entenderla bien.
  27. Nov 18, 2014
    Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top.Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top. Furthermore, not only is the entire film's premise a stretch of basic space science, the ending is extremely unrewarding and empty. Please, save yourself some brain cells and some time, and choose something else to watch. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2014
    "Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
  29. Nov 10, 2014
    With strong acting coupled up with an eerie soundtrack, top-notch directing, a focused narrative and great visuals, it is entertaining, tense and astonishing at the same time. Gravity's huge ambition pays off as a modern classic.
  30. Nov 8, 2014
    Tame and Lame! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me! Where's the Rest of the Story? When Gravity ended my friend and I looked at each other and said simultaneously: "That's It?" We both thought the movie was far from over! It's the first time in years I had to literally apologize for picking such a lousy movie for a friend to see!

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she looked like she was constipated most of the time. George Clooney came across just too perfect for such a life and death situation. He was too much like a saint in outer space!

I also felt mightily deceived by both the film's movie trailer and by the official news media critics that fawned all over this pitiful movie! Gravity is so tame and lame you could take a child to see it without a second thought! It certainly won't offend a soul on planet earth!

But worst of all, was the ending! After you a watch a film you want to feel like there was a beginning, middle and end. In Gravity your jaw is left hanging because there's was no satisfying ending. My friend and I both felt like we were in the the middle of the story when the film ended! BORING!
  31. Nov 3, 2014
    After being struck by a debris field astronauts Stone (Bullock) and Kowalski (Clooney) find themselves adrift in space and, with no chance of rescue, they have to somehow find a way back to Earth.

First and foremost Gravity is an incredible technical achievement setting a new benchmark for visuals in cinema. From start to finish it is full of staggering shots and special effects making it impossible to take your eyes from the screen. The script, despite strong performances from Clooney and Bullock, can't quite match the visuals and occasionally becomes a bit too 'Hollywood' but that is only a minor criticism of what is a must see movie.
  32. Oct 31, 2014
    The film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalskiThe film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalski (George Clooney) while they are in space putting in the new hobble scope which was designed by Ryan Stone. While on their mission a Russian satellite breaks down and the debris hits their craft and form then it is a survival journey where Ryan Stone Matt Kowalski must try and survive in space. This is one of the bet motion pictures in history and especially if you watched it in IMAX 3D because the 3D was superb and the visual effects were amazing and that's why it won the Oscar for best visual effects. They social score is out of this world and gives you a sense isolation. The cinematography was the best I have ever seen because the first 12 minutes of this film is just one long take which is breath taking. The acting all round is good and the backstory to each character is good. George Clooneys whitty humour and Sandra Bullocks insecurity was brilliant. The film is an experience of a life time. This film definitely gets a 10/10 for me. Expand
  33. Oct 28, 2014
    A visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into andA visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into and is quite boring at times. Seriously overrated film. Expand
  34. Oct 12, 2014
    With some impressive, wonderful and great visual effects and with good performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this movie could be one of the best Sci-Fi films of 2013 without a doubt. (78 - 100)
  35. Oct 6, 2014
    Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her selfGravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her self from certain death. Expand
  36. Oct 1, 2014
    The graphics were amazing, and that's about it. You should save yourself some time and go to NASA's website to view pictures of the Earth and space instead.

This movie having a 96 average is appalling. In fact, it ruins the credibility of every movie critic that gave it a positive score. The plot was as pointless and uninteresting as having a staring contest with a cat. Speaking of cats, I'm sure some fat cats in Hollywood paid off the reviewers for this garbage.

If you want to watch a more enjoyable Sci-fi movie where people go somewhere and come back, check out RocketMan. At least it's funny.
  37. Sep 22, 2014
    This is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly what s going to happen before it happens. Extremely predictable. Then, the worst part, after suffering though 3 hours of terrible-ness, it doesnt evenThis is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly what s going to happen before it happens. Extremely predictable. Then, the worst part, after suffering though 3 hours of terrible-ness, it doesnt even give a legitimate ending! She would have died when she hit Earth and then all of a sudden she walks onto a tropical island Expand
  38. Sep 20, 2014
    Medical engineer Ryan Stone works feverishly to repair her shuttle hundreds of miles from the Earth’s atmosphere after a catastrophic collision with orbiting debris damages her likelihood of reentry and survival in Gravity.

Watching this movie you want to use terms like cool and awesome because, technically speaking, this movie is magnificent and awe-inspiring to watch. The purely computer generated images of the vast abyss of space, a cusp of Earth’s surface and a gleaming sun astronomically farther away in the background is spectacularly beautiful. With limited knowledge of space and aeronautics, this is about as real as I can imagine, though I know experts disagree – I’m looking at you Neil deGrasse Tyson. Beyond the aesthetically pleasing set design, I find little else in this picture remarkable.

While beautiful, its artistry in scenery makes the film detached and voyeuristic. Gravity starts almost immediately with the collision and has very minimal character development initially. These factors led me to be unable to suspend disbelief and truly immerse myself in the story nor become invested in the main character’s survival. Further, the plot is tired and worn out. Several movies of a similar plot precede Gravity - which is basically a disaster survival story in space (most notably 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apollo 13, among others).

I can’t help but imagine the executives at Warner Bros. and how this film came to be:

We need a hit film, a huge money maker, but something new, fresh!

CGI, its all about that CGI, that’s what sells movies…we’ve just got to take it to the next level!

Yeah, but we’ve done just about everything on earth…

That’s the problem! On Earth…space! Brilliant, and we will make it in Imax, get even more money for the tickets.

Yeah, but we have to get actors that get a huge draw in the box office.

Who is hot right now?

Robert Downey Jr.? Angelina Jolie?

Nah, Jolie has something scheduled already. Downey probably won’t want to do it, he’s too improvisational, won’t be his style.

We could get Clooney? Everybody loves George.

But what about the girl? Who won best actress last year? Jennifer Lawrence? Too young. Meryl Streep? Too old. Natalie Portman? Not likeable enough. How ’bout Sandra Bullock? Sandy will probably do it.

But who is going to take the risk of making this movie? It could tank. Well, he will have to be a relative unknown, but made a hit before, international, so hungry to break into mainstream Hollywood. Alfonso Cuarón? I think he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up. Isn’t he shopping a script set in space?

And the rest is history…

In all seriousness, the movie never connected with me, while visually brilliant, it is lacking in all other regards. If you are into special effects and the sheer technical breadth of the undertaking of that crew, whom I commend, then I suggest this movie.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
  39. Sep 10, 2014
    We watched “Gravity” last night – 90 minutes of drek. Beyond the special effects, which weren’t that special, the movie was clichéd and flawed from beginning to end. It is a testament to how bad Hollowwood (spelling error intentional) has become at making movies that have some meaning and relevance.
    First cliché, right of the 50s, was NASA’s choice of sending a neurotic female scientist into space. If NASA was hoping that this would help revive interest in supporting space travel, I think they should reexamine their public relations procedures. There was nothing likeable about Sandra Bullock’s character, even after the movie “treated” us to a gratuitous strip tease as she slowly sunk into a near catatonic state (either in sympathy with the audience, or because she was struck with the realization of what she would do to make her career relevant again.)
    And then we have George Clooney as a retiring astronaut on his last mission. To call this a cliché would be cliché. To borrow from South Park, it was hard to see him, even in space; through the dense cloud of smug he seems to bring to every role. His character has seen it all, done it all, knows it all, knows how attractive he is, has something to say about everything- the man is not acting in this role, the man is just having an average George Clooney day.
    Even if you were able to accept that the Russians would be somehow stupid enough to send a missile to destroy a satellite, knocking out all communication satellites (even their own) and destroying the space station they invested billions of rubles in, how can you accept that every other manned vehicle in orbit was somehow able to warn their crews in time and get them down safely except for the most maneuverable one of all – the space shuttle? Again, not a great promotional piece for NASA is the Russians and Chinese could send out the “ABANDON SHIP! “signal before NASA’s vaunted tracking stations should.
    It only gets worse as Clooney drags Bullock to the wreck of their shuttle, so we can see lovely floating shots of dead people we never meet (it might have been a nice idea to do a few establishing shots in the shuttle), but who I felt more sympathy toward than the two nut cases floating in space.
    Then Clooney drags her off to the space stations. On the way Bullock’s neurotic character manages to waste all her oxygen – even Clooney’s smug can’t stop that from happening. When they get to the station she manages to get herself in a tangle, but not enough of a tangle to save Clooney, who “gallantly” (read foolishly) unclips himself.
    A pity they didn’t learn from being bounced around, and watching things bounce around, and from the fact that in space all you need is a sight force to move things, that a light tug on their tether would have sent Clooney right into her arms.
    The rest of the movie is predictable. She overcomes the odds, displays her great ability to brood, and makes it to the Chinese escape pod (are you paying attention NASA?). She despairs as there is no fuel to start the engine, and decides to die. The Ghost-of-Clooneys Past comes to visit her, and gives her the solution.
    We are treated to a reentry screen that has all the technical flair of the final scene in “This Island Earth” where the flying saucer comes to a flaming end, without the sympathy for the character that that movie engenders. Bullock’s character survives the watery landing, but is bound and determined to do one more stupid thing, and does it by blowing the side escape hatch off the side of the pod rather than using the one she used to enter the pod on top.
    The results are predictable. The pod sinks. She, weighed down by her suit, has to take it off (there sound track should have at this point should have had strip tease music.) She struggles to shore. The movie at this point should have ended there, but we are “treated” to another soft-core moment of Bullock writhing in the mud.
    She finally manages to struggle to her feet, and toddles off down the beach toward… the sunset, or something, well we don’t know. But the ending did reflect perfectly how I felt about the movie – it just toddled along toward…well, we don’t know. Between the cloud of Clooney smug, the bollocks of Sandra’s performance, and the 1950s B-movie feel dressed up in high tech effects, this movie, like gravity, sucks. Hollowwood should be ashamed of how many awards this stinker won.
  40. Sep 7, 2014
    Not only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong. How did Sandra Bullock's character become an astronaut? She seems very under-qualified. Also, none of the characters are explored enough to becomeNot only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong. How did Sandra Bullock's character become an astronaut? She seems very under-qualified. Also, none of the characters are explored enough to become likable. I know it has great ratings and reviews everywhere, but you don't need to waste your time. Expand
  41. Sep 5, 2014
    Gravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantastic claustrophobic thriller.
  42. Sep 3, 2014
    gravity is a pioneer in the technical film industry .with breathtaking visuals.an amazing performance from sandra bulluck and amazing 3D that makes you feel like your really in space. it deserved all 7 oscer's it won and is one of the greatest movies of all time.
  43. Sep 2, 2014
    "Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always. The movie is rather short, a measily 91 minutes, but that's all it needs to be a very intense experience.
  44. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  45. Aug 23, 2014
    It was an ok movie, very average. Some parts were boring and some were great. The 3d and visual effects were great. Both main actors are veterans so no complaints there.
  46. Aug 13, 2014
    Not the best story and acting, but futuristic, innovative and perfect directing of Cuaron make this movie worth watching. There are a lot of modern movies that use the safe way of film making, imitating classics and not trying something new. But this movie is not one of them. It's a modern landmark in film making, it tried and succeeded.
  47. Aug 4, 2014
    I like this movie, not just because of the plot twists and turns, but also because it delivers a fine Sandra Bullok performance. It lacked character backgrounds though.
  48. Jul 28, 2014
    Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos.
  49. Jul 26, 2014
    One HELL of an adventure! I was positively enthralled by every electrifying second of it. My immersion in the intense action scenes made my palms start sweating profusely. Lubezki once again proves that he's the cherry on top of the cream of the crop of cinematographers. I blinked rarely and only reluctantly during his long takes. A masterpiece of staging and technical innovation,One HELL of an adventure! I was positively enthralled by every electrifying second of it. My immersion in the intense action scenes made my palms start sweating profusely. Lubezki once again proves that he's the cherry on top of the cream of the crop of cinematographers. I blinked rarely and only reluctantly during his long takes. A masterpiece of staging and technical innovation, 'Gravity' is nothing short of sublime. And, luckily, *plot spoiler* Sandra Bullock only imitates a dog in one scene. Expand
  50. Jul 21, 2014
    Hollywood's two most benign actors (Clooney, Bullock) carry no weight and from the outset I so wished the main characters would be sucked into the vacuum of space and obliterated by the black hole that so richly represents their talent.

The infinite depths of space as a back drop to the limited range of the actors and the simpleton script makes for great irony ....Television's 'Lost In Space' opening credit sequence had more to say.
  51. Jul 21, 2014
    Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

No alien in this one, this time we’re getting a somewhat Realistic look at things going wrong for space fearing Astronauts. I was a bit surprised to see Hollywood getting out to space, in this manner. Hollywood sort of gave up on the Science Fiction, long time ago, as Special Effects got way too costly. Have you seen anything new in SFX lately, chances are no. Hollywood’s love affair with Space is a cost conscious one.
    Wouldn’t want to take a slash out of those Worldwide Box Office Figs, now would we!

This movie is alright, but the banter is not very professional, this feels like some famous people popping up all of a sudden and wondering if they can handle a movie in space. Two Fabs are on hand, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the look of the film is good, and the ending fine, but I was surprised that Gravity had suddenly ended, then I looked and saw that it was only one half hour.

Concise, was the play this time.

The Science Fiction is in the Books, that’s the Only place to find it.

--------------

First Published at STUFF (April 16, 2014) STUFF #310: Gravity
  52. Jul 19, 2014
    Aunque posee efectos visuales y sonoros fantásticos, es una película fastidiosa, solo llaman la atención los primeros 15 y los últimos 15 minutos, el resto es solo relleno, pero aun así hay una buena interpretación gracias a Bullock y una buena dirección de Cuarón.
  53. Jul 15, 2014
    Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
  54. Jul 15, 2014
    As a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect meAs a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect me to believe that she survived for another hour in space before she got to the International Space Station on just that. I think not. The script writers should have payed more attention to the facts before writing these impossible ways Sandra could have survived. Expand
  55. Jul 14, 2014
    Beautiful. Gripping. Stellar. Riveting. An artful masterpiece of a film; the best space film of all-time; will become a timeless classic. This film IS Sandra Bullock.
  56. Jul 12, 2014
    Rating this a 10 just to balance out the negative reviews from the people who just don't get it. If any movie warrants this kind of fandom loyalty which I usually don't care for, its this movie.
  57. Jul 9, 2014
    A great film with stunning visuals. It is a great watch in 3D on the big screen as you get the full effect and makes you feel like you are there. Average acting with some great dialogue. Bullock does a great job as she is alone for most of the movie and she makes the movie not boring and enjoyable to watch. Some of the best effects I have ever seen.
  58. Jul 6, 2014
    This movies does not deserve a overall score of 96. This movie is nothing more than a pretty roller coaster ride. Outside of the visuals, the script is terrible. C+ movie AT BEST
  59. Jul 4, 2014
    Now "Gravity" is truly amazing, but it is only worth watching in 3D and on the biggest screen available. Otherwise, non of its cinematic magic and brilliance will reach You.
  60. Jul 1, 2014
    Some scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than theSome scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than the speed of a bullet.

For a 91 minute movie one would not expect to be bored and wishing for it's termination, but that is how I felt about this movie. The story of this movie consists solely on a series of extremely unlikely and seemingly inescapable impasses, that 'somehow' are overcome.
  61. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I was considering watching the film in 3D. Didn't do it. Left wondering if I should have.
    Review:
    Pros: Great action and CGI. Cons: Very little story. It was as if the characters were desperately trying to tell their backstory and they fail. There are many plot holes and many (astro)physical errors. Left me feeling unfullfilled at the end due to lack of story.
    Review:
    Pros: Great action and CGI.
    Cons: Very little story. It was as if the characters were desperately trying to tell their backstory and they fail. There are many plot holes and many (astro)physical errors. Left me feeling unfullfilled at the end due to lack of story. Definitely does not deserve full points and definitely not best film of that year.
    4/5 - It's worth paying to watch it in the cinema.
  62. Jun 17, 2014
    A thrilling roller coaster ride made out of diamonds; a gorgeously detailed disaster/survival movie. Stoic themes: learn to detach, let go, etc. Superior acting performance from Bullock as the mission specialist. A few improbabilities and cliches buried underneath literal awesomeness, an awe that feels grounded in an ocean of reality.
  63. Jun 13, 2014
    Worst Movie of the Decade. Why was it nominated for Oscars in the first place? In understand why they won best visual effects in a motion picture. But Really who enjoys this stuff?
  64. Jun 9, 2014
    Oh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectlyOh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectly complements the overall movie :P Expand
  65. Jun 9, 2014
    96/100 for this movie? No way. The movie is highly overrated. I mean, it has a lot of good thing, the acting, effect is not bad. The story honestly really isn't something impressing. Personally I think the story is a little boring, but overall It is a good movie, but it is not a masterpiece.
  66. Jun 3, 2014
    This main girl character must be the dumbest and most stupidest human ever sent to space. If this is the best and brightest what NASA can muster then we are all doomed.
    Should i say that she is irritating as ****
  67. May 29, 2014
    What we have here is a movie with beautiful visuals; however, the plot attempts to be profound similar to Kubric's films and just cannot hold up.

I still find myself trying to figure out how this movie has won critical acclaim when there are so many holes in the plot line, that it is distracting to think logically while watching the film. This is especially true for science buffs. To sum it up, the movie offers cool visuals while functioning on the level of self-importance. If you truly want to see a great space movie, turn to Kubric's Space Odyssey; it is breathtaking.
  68. May 27, 2014
    Far and away the best film of 2013, and maybe even one of the greatest space films of all time. Alfonso Cuaron shows that he is a brilliant filmmaker, by directing one of the best directed film in a long time. Sandra Bullock gives an amazing performance. And overall, a very good must see film
  69. May 26, 2014
    Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. It was so boring and horrible acting. I honestly just wanted them to die the entire time, that's how bad this movie was.
  70. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself. Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  71. May 21, 2014
    Gravity isnt a bad film, it isnt exactly good either... it is, however, very, very overated..only good point is that the visuals are stunning.........
  72. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  73. May 7, 2014
    The best and most obvious feature of this movie is the visuals and cinematography. It provided a truly unique experience for film. More than any other film I've seen it immerses the audience in it's settings/ The plot, although thin, was suspenseful enough to be more than serviceable. Sandra Bullock's wonderful acting in the film more than makes up for George Clooney's rather dull performance.
  74. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing, original and beautiful. A movie that the cinema was needing, Gravity is intense, terrific and moving (most of all). The brilliant direction of Alfonso Cuarón, as well your intense edition with your brother Jonas; fantastic cinematography with Emmanuel Lubezki's signature, a inspiring Sandra Bullock and the impeccable and pretty score composed by Steven Price make Gravity one of the greatest and prettiest movies ever made. Simply Perfect. Expand
  75. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Growing up in Flower Mound, Texas, I quickly discovered that there was very little to do for a teenager without much money. If you weren't hungry for some fast food or in the mood to window shop, you might as well go home and watch television. Thankfully for me, an AMC Movie Theater opened in Highland Village not even 5 minutes away from where I live in 2007. It is very difficult to try to explain just how many afternoons and evenings I have spent there with friends or family seeing the new hit movie. Visiting there at least every other weekend, I must have spent at least $1,000 since it opened. Seven years of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and by now, I might even be considered an unofficial movie critic.
    So, a couple months ago I heard from some friends and family members about this exciting new film, Gravity. Critics raved calling it the greatest movie of 2013, destined for glory, and certain it would be considered an instant classic for years to come. I was skeptical, but they were right after all, at least about the awards. Just a little while ago, Gravity won Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Director at the 2014 Oscars. By the end of the night Gravity had won seven Oscars, an impressive feat. I never thought that the trailer for some space movie with Bullock and Clooney looked particularly good, but by this point I had to see it, and so I did.
    Gravity was one of the most confused and predictable movies I have seen in the last couple of years. The whole idea of the movie for those unfamiliar is that while on a spacewalk, Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) and her team are hit by debris from a Russian satellite that has mysteriously exploded. Unfortunately, Dr. Stone becomes the sole survivor of the impact and must try to get home without help from NASA. This is where things start to get really confusing, as there is almost no explanation as to why no one can help Stone with the establishment of a simple radio communication. But hey, it’s a movie after all so we can look past a basic plot hole. Since the film takes place in the quiet void of space, much of the plot advancement is based entirely off of Stone’s own internal struggle of getting back to earth, and the fear that she might not be able to. However if you were hoping for a main character who is full of life and determined to fight for her life, you’re looking at the wrong movie entirely. Stone apparently has no family or friends and according to her, no one cares if she lives or dies. As if the plot wasn't struggling enough, we now have a main character that doesn’t really want to try to survive and is content to just sit in her spacecraft and wait for the inevitable. Yes, that is actually part of the movie which goes on for about 15 minutes. Earlier I mentioned that not only is the plot confusing, but it’s stupidly predictable. Once you watch the first couple of “close calls” that Stone has, you realize that that’s the entire basis of the movie. Stone simply cannot perform a single task well, so by the last half of the movie, you can accurately predict how events will play out since you know that not only is the main character an incompetent buffoon, but she’s also the luckiest person in existence. That being said, the visuals were interesting and oddly vibrant for such a drab setting. In the end though, I found Gravity to be emotionally stale, entirely expected, and a characterless excuse for some sort of space adventure. I would recommend avoiding this movie altogether, but if you must see it, borrow it from a friend or watch it on the internet. You’re better off spending $10 on a really tasty sandwich, at least that doesn't come with a side of disappointment.
  76. May 1, 2014
    Well made, Well acted, stunning visuals, but there's something that just doesn't work to make this a wonderful journey to space, maybe is the tedious plot at several parts of the film, but still is a watchable film.
  77. Apr 30, 2014
  78. Apr 29, 2014
    A very intense and riveting film. The FX are incredible. The characters could have used more depth and it needed more emotional impact I thought as well. Still a great flick.
  79. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sandra Bullock and the special effects are the only reason this movie even got a 1. As a movie that was based on reality, its lack of being realistic is staggering. One of the main actors dies near the beginning. The ending is anti-climatic. How this movie won even one Oscar is beyond me. It was a movie devoid of dialogue for the most part with fancy special effects in space. Expand
  80. Apr 28, 2014
    With the perfect acting, simplicity of the storyline and most picturesque graffics, this is the greatest, most human suspensed and emotional sci-fi wonder of all time, so enjoy it while you can
  81. Apr 24, 2014
    I expected more. Turns out, the whole movie is just about Bullock trying to get back to Earth. I believe it would take that long to make it back, minus the parts where one blacks out, but...couldn't there have been more to this movie? There's not very many characters, and it's kind of boring, too. Yes, on some parts I DID get excited, but it's just not all that.
  82. Apr 18, 2014
    The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth -The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth - but the haunting soundtrack and picture bring the atmosphere alive.
    Generally, Gravity is a unique and favorably original film which should hopefully inspire a new generation of space-themed movies.
  83. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. TheThe visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  84. Apr 14, 2014
    Let me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watchingLet me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watching Sandra Bullock being catapulted around space. That's pretty much the entire film for you. There, I saved you the rental money. Expand
  85. Apr 9, 2014
    The negative reviews tend to be from dullards who want to make themselves interesting by criticizing a movie that has been so widely praised, or people who want to critics the movie for not attempting to be what they want it to be.

Instead of criticizing it for what its not though we should enjoy what it is, a 90 minute roller coaster of a sci-fi movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I wouldn't change a single thing about it and haven't met anyone in real life who has truly disliked it.
  86. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Imagine a firefighter enters a building that is blazing with flames. He looks around, screams for 10 minutes, and runs away because he is completely unqualified for the job.

That is what this movie is like, except replace the firefighter with an astronaut.

The only good thing about this film is that it looks nice. But to be honest, it's not worth an hour and a half of your time to watch a film when you can just go on Imgur and type in 'nice space pictures' and start viewing galleries of visually appealing space pictures without having to listen to someone screaming and constantly gasping for air (when they are supposed to be an astronaut with some experience).

The worst part about watching this film is that when it finally finishes, you realise that Sandra Bullock is in the middle of nowhere and will probably die anyway. So much for the whole 'survival' theme.

Also, 'Gravity' doesn't make sense as a title. It should be called 'Zero Gravity', 'Zero Oxygen', or 'Screaming Lady in Space'.
  87. Apr 5, 2014
    I didn't like Gravity. I probably won't watch it again, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fantastic. The cinematography (albeit simulated) was simply mind-blowing and gorgeous. Kudos to the studio that produced all the CGI in this film. In every way, the production quality was top notch and raises the bar.

Moreover, both George Clooney and Sandra Bullock astounded me. Clooney, willing to play a smaller supporting role, did so with panache and Bullock was gratifyingly believable in her isolation, desperation, and determination. Definitely worth watching.
  88. Apr 4, 2014
    I pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the rightI pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the right button in a shuttle (or whatever it was actually called) despite being labeled in a language she doesn't understand is a little far-fetched, but overall I was absolutely enthralled with the film. This is one I highly recommend, and I give it a 9.9/10-Near-Perfect. Expand
  89. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen. Cinematography excellent but plot was beyond weak! I was waiting for a twist at the end that would salvage something from my hour and a half of viewing but even the end was rubbish! Far fetched, scientific flawed, but acted well and the sound guys did an amazing job also. Weak storyline ruined what could have been - but definately wasn't - a first class film.
  90. Apr 3, 2014
    Smoke and mirrors effects and music paired with emotionless acting and in-space impossible physics and millions of one-in-a-million mishap scenarios with no story. A thriller for no reason. How did this win so many oscars? People in this age are favoring movies that make them feel - not stories that make them change, but that doesn't mean the movie is the best of all time.
  91. Apr 2, 2014
    A movie that exploits the fear of being lost and thinking there's no way out. For me, a real thrillride with some of the best visuals ever made. A must watch for everyone who's thinking about watching it. This isn't a movie anymore, it's a piece of art, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE SAYING IT ISN'T WORTH IT CAUSE YOU'LL BE MISSING OUT, watch it and form an opinion for yourselves, it's worth it!
  92. Apr 1, 2014
    Horrible piece of sh*t, insulting physics and logic from the very premises. I won't make a list of errors here, but suffice to say it's impossible to watch this without going "what the **** why the **** every few minutes.
  93. Mar 30, 2014
    Entertaining movie, great visuals, although you might get a little bored given the lack of dialogues and silence, needed for the movie to develop properly. Simple story but nice, if you can imagine the getting lost in infinity.
  94. Mar 30, 2014
    I am shocked how bad this movie is, taking into account all the hype that's in the air. It looks good, but the plot is weak and trivial. Also, for the sake of the plot, science is just ignored in few scenes. How exactly you ask ? Well, picturing wrong the force of GRAVITY is a good example! Btw, the title is very loosely refering to the movie, it doesn't have much sense.
    Again, if you
    Again, if you like CGI effects and that's good enough you will be happy. If that's not enough, save 90 mins of your life.
  95. Mar 30, 2014
    The visual experience is tremendous. Awe-inspiring. Something that deserves to be seen on a large screen and in 3D. The soundtrack is an equally chilling accompaniment.

The plot itself blends many realistic elements with bits of fantasy. The hurtling space junk is scary enough that most viewers won't stop to ask why a medical doctor is flying in space and repairing a satellite, or why in the vastness of the Earth's orbit everything is so close together. The central narrative is a classic survival narrative of a blip of humanity up against the vastness of nature. It approaches greatness, save for an unnecessary intrusion of sentimentality that creeps in towards the end.

Still, a finely crafted and enjoyable film.
  96. Mar 29, 2014
    This heart racing movie, is great for viewers interested in action and romance as there is a lot of this throughout the movie ! The cinematography effects is very well and I viewed a video recently showing me the techniques used to make the viewers feel like they're 'floating' .
  97. Mar 28, 2014
    Alfonso Cuarón with David Heyman have made a visionary movie, have used technology and music in the best way. Sandra Bullock is incredible and true. An really good and pleasant movie. It was a long time since I had not had that feeling of real pleasure in cinema.
  98. Mar 28, 2014
    Very surprised that the critics thought so highly of this film. I must have missed something. I thought it was boring, ridiculous and full of clichés. Sure, the visuals were great, but as someone else said - "why not just play or watch a video game?"
  99. Mar 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Characters are not well developed. Plot is lacking. Ryan Stone does not seem well prepared or deserving of her job. She is portrayed as weak and helpless, although she is the heroine of the film. George Clooney's character is overly silly while simultaneously seemingly un-phased by the chaos around him. He under acts, while she over acts. They don't mesh. The seemingly unending chaotic events become so ridiculous, that I expect them to continue even after she lands ( I mean, the water entering the capsule, the heavy space suit); I expected her to get tangled in the parachute or get captured by natives or something. And the attempts to force religion and spirituality into the plot ("I don't know how to pray, because no one taught me")...give me a break. Overall I feel insulted as a movie viewer. As if you can just wow people with the view or something...could have been great...with different actors and a well developed plot....but I am not impressed. Expand
  100. Mar 27, 2014
    Just watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistakeJust watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistake of shooting down their own satellite when while it was in the same altitude as several other satellites and the International Space Station is ridiculous. The Russians usually just maneuver satellites they want to "retire" into the upper atmosphere and let it burn or crash to Earth.

This movie didn't make me care whether the main character lived or died in orbit. It was that lame.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.