7.8

1. Mar 10, 2015
    I just don't understand the love of this film. The visuals are stunning and the tone is great, but I'm sorry, Gravity's a decent film in my opinion, not as great as it's been made out to be. I found this film boring, it's the first film I've fallen asleep while watching in a long time. The film bends scientific facts to keep certain characters alive, despite trying to be realistic. TheI just don't understand the love of this film. The visuals are stunning and the tone is great, but I'm sorry, Gravity's a decent film in my opinion, not as great as it's been made out to be. I found this film boring, it's the first film I've fallen asleep while watching in a long time. The film bends scientific facts to keep certain characters alive, despite trying to be realistic. The tension of the film never feels real to me, because the film constantly bends it's own rules to keep a character alive. Then 37 minutes into an approximately 90 minute movie, the film takes an unexpected turn that renders the rest of the film moot, and completely destroys any potential tension any viewer who is paying attention would have felt. Plus the dialogue, is dry and bland, and the film tries to confuse us to think there's some tension, but only confuses, with flashbacks. All of this leads me to say I didn't really like this film, and somehow it has everybody raving, I just don't know. Expand
  2. Ozy
    Mar 2, 2015
    There really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more than what it was, in fact i would have scored a lot higher. But it wasn't, it was made up. And that is my problem, there could have been a little more storyThere really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more than what it was, in fact i would have scored a lot higher. But it wasn't, it was made up. And that is my problem, there could have been a little more story telling more feeling maybe some romance etc. I loved the visual aspect and thought the acting was great. In fact i thought it was made really well, just needed more story telling, it felt bland. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2015
    I saw nothing special about this film, if I admit that the effects are great but the plot is very limited and that end is very simple, I cannot see what all they commented on it.
  4. Feb 7, 2015
    Critic reviews are way too high. I admit, the effects are very real and interesting but the concept is so boring. The girl is a great actor, but the thrills of imminent death just aren't enough to make up for the emptiness of space and the movie itself.
  5. Jan 28, 2015
    Visually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's bestVisually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's best efforts. My first viewing, I had a much higher opinion of this film, swept up in the hype surrounding it and blinded by its technical accomplishment. My second viewing, issues with the story (or lack of) were magnified and severely detracted from the film. Expand
  6. Jan 21, 2015
    Visually Impressive but really that's all there is to it. Alfonso Cuaron's space opus is 90 mins of Sandra Bullock explaining the plot to herself. The film is literally devoid of ideas.
  7. Dec 1, 2014
    What a boring and predictable movie! Don't waste your time! The only good thing about this movie is the cinematography and the special effects... Way overrated!
  8. Nov 30, 2014
    Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    Gravity es una película que aunque contiene unos muy buenos efectos visuales a lo largo de la historia que abarca el film, contiene algunos fallos (no me refiero a lo técnico).

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los primeros 15 minutos, luego de eso ya la película empieza a buscar soluciones para encajar bien las piezas del final, pero, esas soluciones hacen que la película se torne aburrida, simplona y fastidiosa hasta que llegan los últimos 15 minutos.

Así que, en general, Gravity es una película fastidiosa en donde si no has visto la película, solo basta con ver los primeros 15 minutos y los últimos 15 para entenderla bien.
  10. Oct 28, 2014
    A visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into andA visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into and is quite boring at times. Seriously overrated film. Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2014
    It was an ok movie, very average. Some parts were boring and some were great. The 3d and visual effects were great. Both main actors are veterans so no complaints there.
  12. Jul 21, 2014
    Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

Hollywood Back on The Bandwagon?

No alien in this one, this time we’re getting a somewhat Realistic look at things going wrong for space fearing Astronauts. I was a bit surprised to see Hollywood getting out to space, in this manner. Hollywood sort of gave up on the Science Fiction, long time ago, as Special Effects got way too costly. Have you seen anything new in SFX lately, chances are no. Hollywood’s love affair with Space is a cost conscious one.
    Wouldn’t want to take a slash out of those Worldwide Box Office Figs, now would we!

This movie is alright, but the banter is not very professional, this feels like some famous people popping up all of a sudden and wondering if they can handle a movie in space. Two Fabs are on hand, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the look of the film is good, and the ending fine, but I was surprised that Gravity had suddenly ended, then I looked and saw that it was only one half hour.

Concise, was the play this time.

The Science Fiction is in the Books, that’s the Only place to find it.

--------------

First Published at STUFF (April 16, 2014) STUFF #310: Gravity
  13. Jul 19, 2014
    Aunque posee efectos visuales y sonoros fantásticos, es una película fastidiosa, solo llaman la atención los primeros 15 y los últimos 15 minutos, el resto es solo relleno, pero aun así hay una buena interpretación gracias a Bullock y una buena dirección de Cuarón.
  14. Jul 15, 2014
    As a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect meAs a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect me to believe that she survived for another hour in space before she got to the International Space Station on just that. I think not. The script writers should have payed more attention to the facts before writing these impossible ways Sandra could have survived. Expand
  15. Jul 6, 2014
    This movies does not deserve a overall score of 96. This movie is nothing more than a pretty roller coaster ride. Outside of the visuals, the script is terrible. C+ movie AT BEST
  16. Jun 9, 2014
    96/100 for this movie? No way. The movie is highly overrated. I mean, it has a lot of good thing, the acting, effect is not bad. The story honestly really isn't something impressing. Personally I think the story is a little boring, but overall It is a good movie, but it is not a masterpiece.
  17. May 29, 2014
    What we have here is a movie with beautiful visuals; however, the plot attempts to be profound similar to Kubric's films and just cannot hold up.

I still find myself trying to figure out how this movie has won critical acclaim when there are so many holes in the plot line, that it is distracting to think logically while watching the film. This is especially true for science buffs. To sum it up, the movie offers cool visuals while functioning on the level of self-importance. If you truly want to see a great space movie, turn to Kubric's Space Odyssey; it is breathtaking.
  18. May 21, 2014
    Gravity isnt a bad film, it isnt exactly good either... it is, however, very, very overated..only good point is that the visuals are stunning.........
  19. Apr 3, 2014
    Smoke and mirrors effects and music paired with emotionless acting and in-space impossible physics and millions of one-in-a-million mishap scenarios with no story. A thriller for no reason. How did this win so many oscars? People in this age are favoring movies that make them feel - not stories that make them change, but that doesn't mean the movie is the best of all time.
  20. Mar 28, 2014
    Very surprised that the critics thought so highly of this film. I must have missed something. I thought it was boring, ridiculous and full of clichés. Sure, the visuals were great, but as someone else said - "why not just play or watch a video game?"
  21. Mar 27, 2014
    Just watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistakeJust watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistake of shooting down their own satellite when while it was in the same altitude as several other satellites and the International Space Station is ridiculous. The Russians usually just maneuver satellites they want to "retire" into the upper atmosphere and let it burn or crash to Earth.

This movie didn't make me care whether the main character lived or died in orbit. It was that lame.
  22. Mar 24, 2014
    I'm terribly sorry. Was I supposed to like this film? The CGI was very nice but plllleeeaaase! The plot was so banal it could have been written by a 9 year old ... or a movie industry executive (same thing). Visually this film is a 9 but the rest of it is a 2. See it and then forget it as quickly as you can and go watch 2001 again. Gravity has rating of O for OVERRATED.
  23. Mar 18, 2014
    Fun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the richFun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the rich praising the rich. Expand
  24. Mar 15, 2014
    I'm sorry but this film is overrated. It's enjoyable... But overrated. All it is most of the time is Sandra Bullock breathing. Thats pretty much it. There's nothing much to it.
  25. Mar 7, 2014
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros: 1. Great Visuals 2. Steady paced does not get boring Cons: 1. SANDRA BULLOCK..same character in every movie she is in, panics in every scene and is practically hopeless 2. Story..very weak and felt they had to fill it with pointless stories to fill awkward silences. 3. Predictable 4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros:
    1. Great Visuals
    2. Steady paced does not get boring

Cons:
    3. Predictable
    4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much on the second Sandra Bullock arrives, even though the debris had already circled twice.
    5. Terrible ending

This film is terrible. only good things are the visuals and the pace the movie goes at. if they casted a better female actress who didn't just panic and flap her hands about like in EVERY film she has ever done, this maybe would have been a worthy Oscar winner.
  26. Mar 6, 2014
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography, + Very good special effects, + It moves a little for a film in space, + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans, That's all ! ... +/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ? - No history, - Many physical inconsistencies - No morals or mental reflection, - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography,
    + Very good special effects,
    + It moves a little for a film in space,
    + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans,
    That's all ! ...

+/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ?

- No history,
    - Many physical inconsistencies
    - No morals or mental reflection,
    - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc

If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William Eubank (2011)
    No Newtonian physics problem, No Stars, but a wonderfull movie, a little jewel. and he receive No Oscars, Golden Globes or César ...

Morality : To Have an Oscar is a pathetic Joke !
  27. Mar 6, 2014
    You know when a person in a zombie movie is embarrassing incapable and hysteric? This is the same thing but in space. Along an extensive list of thing that will never happen.

It has a good visual and audio if you don't count the loud music on speaking scene. Is an fairly entertaining bad movie to get some laugh. Don't expect any quality because there is none.
  28. Feb 28, 2014
    While the visuals and sound brought this up a couple of points for me, the story itself was linear, very predictable and just boring. Seriously cannot see what all the fuss was about....
  29. Feb 22, 2014
    Now obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and INow obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and I was really excited and anxious about if they would make it. But then it just seems t repeat itself over and over again and I started to care a little less after each bad thing that happens to her. This is one of the unluckiest people ever. Worth a watch for the amazing visuals but that pretty much the only reason to watch it, just like Avatar. Expand
  30. Feb 21, 2014
    Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Let's just get this out of the way up front- if you're to garner even one iota of enjoyment out of Gravity it must be viewed on the largest screen possible donning a pair of 3D glasses. Surround sound is also imperative but if you've managed a Big Screen 3D setup, odds are you've got the audio side of the equation covered. Experiencing Gravity in any other way is simply not an option. I was fortunate enough to see Gravity on a 55" active 3D display in Dolby 5.1 (my home theater setup) and that would be considered the bare minimum requirement. It's certainly no Imax. Imagine watching the latest Pixar flick on a portable black and white monitor with the sound muted. Sound like fun? No? Then don't bother watching this in the comfort of your living room unless your home theater meets AT LEAST the previously stated requirements. This really can't be stressed enough. Onto the review...

2001, Alien, Moon. These films are considered classics of American cinema for very good reason, they all have superb story arcs bolstered by deep, rich character development. Alfonso Cuarón’s latest theatrical release, Gravity, has neither. Much like the empty environment the film takes place in, Gravity offers up breathtaking visuals but is utterly devoid of anything else.

Instead of a proper film, we're "treated" to an artistic experiment in the use of state of the art visual and audio effects to induce an intimate form of awe and panic. Something a standard 2D stereo film can't possibly replicate. And, as such, it's a smashing success. In one especially intense scene early on during Act I, Cuarón utilizes his trademarked long form single camera shot sequence (13 minutes to be exact) to make us feel the empty helplessness that Dr. Ryan (played adequately by Sandra Bullock) is surely experiencing. It works to great effect, and don't be surprised if a bit of sweat drips from your brow in the process.

So far, so good and we feel invested in our own survival. Not Dr. Ryan's survival mind you, she doesn't exist so much as a character but more of a human prop to advance the films running time. No, the clever use of 3D photography has us invested far more in our own well being then either that of Dr. Ryan or Matt Kowalsky (again, adequately played by George Clooney). I, for one, have felt neither dread nor danger in the cinema or my own couch outside of this expertly crafted opening sequence.

And then...nothing. This pony has flawlessly performed it's single trick. And it is quite the trick, but not something that can sustain any amount of interest past the 30 minute mark. I take pride in writing spoiler free reviews, so suffice it to say Gravity takes place in space (that much should already be abundantly clear), while "space stuff" sporadically explodes silently, life support mechanisms fail, and our two protagonists fight to make their way back to Cape Canaveral, or any place on Earth really, in one piece.

While a superficial attempt at character development is made by the filmmakers to inject Dr. Ryan and Kowalsky with heart and soul, it doesn't work. The failure to make us care about the films only two human assets is Gravity's greatest weakness. Will Ryan and Kowalsky triumph over the terrors of being stranded in space when their only ride back home has been devastated, or will they float endlessly into the dark abyss until they die slowly of asphyxiation? We have no emotional investment tied to either character, so who cares if they live or die? Maybe Kowalsky is a pedophile who deserves it. I don't know anything about him other than he was at Mardi Gras in 1987 and likes to talk about it.

Ultimately, Gravity is a visual spectacle that elevates the use of 3D in moviemaking to new heights, much like James Cameron did with Avatar. The difference being Cameron told a story, one that we actually cared about. The same can't be said for Gravity.

As much as the movie going audience and critics alike bemoan the use of 3D in modern filmmaking, Gravity shows us that, when done properly, the addition of a third dimension draws us in much closer to the story being told. But if that story isn't engaging and the characters aren't captivating, no amount of floating wrenches and exploding spaceships will transform a lackluster movie into a good one.

I love 3D and hope Gravity's success spurs a second renaissance for the fading technology. If nothing else, this film proves without question that 3D can draw viewers into a movie in a way that standard two dimensions never could. What 3D will never be able to do, however, is create an interesting story where one simply doesn't exist, as is the case with Gravity.

If you have the means to experience this film the way it was intended, you should absolutely do so. It very well may change your opinion on the importance of 3D in movie making. Just don't go in expecting a good movie, because Gravity isn't one.
  31. Feb 12, 2014
    If you have any understanding of physics or general science knowledge or even just common sense you will find yourself scratching your head many times throughout this movie, or like myself just constantly downright frustrated and annoyed.

If you enjoy watching Sandra Bullock screaming, panicking and spinning around in space for an hour, you will have a great time. Double the great time if you also enjoy watching her play a lifeless, boring character who you (not so) secretly hope will get hit by satellite debris.

Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the beautiful views of earth and space, and try not to be annoyed by the constant, overly-dramatic transitions from the serene silence of space to loud noises, explosions and heavy breathing.
  32. Feb 12, 2014
    The film is about a woman astronaut that tries to survive in space when a chinese satellite explodes and destroys her spaceshuttle and kills must of her colleagues .The only other survivor, Matt Kowalsky helps her.

The movie had a lot of beatiful special effects, but for me it was quite repetitive.
  33. Feb 12, 2014
    Plain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. NotPlain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. Not the worst movie of 2013, but certainly not the best. Expand
  34. Feb 11, 2014
    Visually, I've never seen anything quite like it. My problem was that I I had a hard time turning off the technician side of my brain. I treated this film as a scenario rather than sci-fi, and frankly, I didn't buy it. (And from the comments I heard recently by the astronauts aboard the ISS who saw the film, neither did they.) Too many laws of physics broken for my taste.

Bullock did a

Bullock did a fairly good job as Ryan Stone, but Clooney's alpha-male bluster made me want to wretch.

Great effects don't make a great movie. They are supposed to enhance a strong story and 'Gravity' is certainly lacking in that department.

Having said all of that, I was entertained for 90 minutes, so I can't trash this film completely...but a Best Picture nomination...you gotta be kidding me.

Gotta call a spade a spade...'Gravity' is at best a great idea for a simulation ride at Universal Studios, nothing more.
  35. Feb 1, 2014
    This film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to peopleThis film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to people with knowledge on Astronomy. Sandra Bullick also acted horribly and unrealistically, no depth to her character at all, just strange reactions and boring backstory on her daughter. One thing I'll give it is the cinematography is superb but if you have a background on Astronomy DON'T WATCH THIS FILM! It will frustrate the **** out of you.  Expand
  36. JFT
    Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst the premise is fairly original and the acting perfectly adequate, the overall plot comes off as repetitive and dragged out. After the third round of deadly debris it becomes hard to sympathize for the protagonist, and the dire, hopeless situation becomes almost humourous as she floats away to the third space station, only just managing to escape the debris, of course. The saving grace of this film is the overall cinema experience it provides, though given the bland plot its replay value is practically non-existent. The DVD and Blu-Ray copies of 'Gravity' will sit on the shelf gathering dust. Expand
  37. Jan 27, 2014
    Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters.Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters. This movie definately does not deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but im afraid more than 5 or 6 is pushing it. The movie had the potential, it just did not deliver Expand
  38. Jan 23, 2014
    One of the most over-rated films in the modern era. At times truly ungripping, this film is just about saved by some breath-taking cinematography. But you can only gawp at breaking machinery and planet Earth for so long, and after about 20 minutes the film settles into a distinctly average film and much like the main character I can't wait to return to Earth.
  39. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted andIt's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  40. Jan 16, 2014
    Gravity is a below average movie with STUNNING visuals. The idea and science behind it is very interesting, but the execution of the story is pretty bad. It's riddled with cliches and jaw-droppingly ridiculous moments which can only exist in Hollywood. The action sequences are spectacular though, and the sound-effects top-notch. Give it a try if you like eye-candy, but avoid it at allGravity is a below average movie with STUNNING visuals. The idea and science behind it is very interesting, but the execution of the story is pretty bad. It's riddled with cliches and jaw-droppingly ridiculous moments which can only exist in Hollywood. The action sequences are spectacular though, and the sound-effects top-notch. Give it a try if you like eye-candy, but avoid it at all costs if you're craving anything with substance. Expand
  41. Jan 16, 2014
    The first 20 minutes of this film are amazing - visually stunning. After that its a one dimensional narrative in a 3D format : how will they get from A to B? There's no story, nothing interesting in the characters. The single bit of drama turns out to be a really stupid 'dream' sequence which is a kop out. And an easy ending. I don't know how this film has achieved any nominations.
  42. Jan 11, 2014
    This film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my faceThis film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my face appeared to have more emotion that that of Sandra Bullock's Dr Ryan. Both she and Clooney (playing the somewhat garrulous astronaut Kowalski) appeared to be going through the motions giving underwhelming performances. As the film progressed the situations Dr Ryan found herself in became increasingly more ridiculous. It all begins with the Russians bombing their own satellite by accident (already, facepalm) creating debris and initiating a chain-reaction of events. And yes, the physics of it all was not as accurate as some might want you to believe. Clichés galore, let's also chuck in a side-story about the protagonist's massive personal loss from her recent past - to make her more approachable? Likable? Believable? Oh, wait, to add the existential dilemma needed for added emotional gravitas to the film! Right….. Yet one would be able to suspend their belief if the dialogue supported it. In this film, it didn't. It was, frankly, quite juvenile at times. This could of been for me the masterpiece others saw had more effort been put in parts of the plot and most of the dialogue (the later being what I'm holding responsible for both Bullock and Clooney's subpar performances). In summary, NOT the innovative masterpiece expected, however a watchable pop-corn movie nonetheless. Expand
  43. Jan 9, 2014
    Visually amazing but boring as f*ck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  44. Jan 7, 2014
    Technically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientificTechnically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientific gripes, the problems stem with the fact that the film tries to be two things at once, a thriller and a lament on psychology. If youve seen children of men, you will undoubtably see how Curon was forced to make jarring pacing follies. That said and done, one must note what is probably the best score of the year. It is nigh perfect for every scene and moment. The visuals too must be praised as they suck you into each and every moment. Sadly though, like Avatar, this technical perfection lacks soul and good storytelling. This is only magnified by the fact that it's Alfonso Curon we are talking about. Hopefully with the Hollywood cred he's now achieved he will bring us something worth while with his next effort. Expand
  45. Jan 6, 2014
    Yes the 3D is impressive because we, the viewer, are unaware of the detailed view of the international space station but after that we are watching a very mediocre film. What's the George Clooney character all about?
  46. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  47. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Omg, this movie would have been great if it didn't involve just two actors and an extra that was in the movie for less than 5 minutes in beginning... Expand
  48. Dec 9, 2013
    Very unimpressed. Terrible acting with a super mediocre story makes for a terrible movie. Beautiful CG can not save this movie from awful actors and terrible story. Movie was so bad that I started falling asleep at around 40 minutes in. Would not recommend watching to anyone.
  49. Dec 3, 2013
    How could I possibly like this movie???
    Piece of crap. Nothing more than a lady jumping around in space looking for space station and successfully landed on Earth... but exciting and thrilling.
  50. Nov 30, 2013
    Not a great movie but not that bad. How can you not enjoy staring at Sandra Bullock? The story was actually a little weak and I never wondered if she was going to make it back alive. I saw it in 3 D and that made it a little better, but I would actually recommend waiting for it to come out in Red Box. I wouldn't miss but recommend the cheap seats!
  51. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to say that overall this movie was a great disappointment with no real charm apart the residual left over from George Clooney's performance. A generic and implausible set of events wrapped up in amazing visuals, sound familiar?
  52. Nov 19, 2013
    It looked great and the script was awful and I could have done without the say hello to my daughter in heaven nonsense which dominated the second half of the movie.
  53. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that IBrilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  54. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  55. Nov 16, 2013
    Overrated, watched the movie yesterday and it was way below my expectation, don't know why people rate it so high, its pretty basic, acting was good as u'd expect from George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, but the only thing that's great about the movie other than that is the special effects, but that alone doesnt do justice for a movie to be considered great.
  56. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  57. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  58. woo
    Nov 14, 2013
    The special effects really are very good. Sandra Bullock acts well. The storyline is perhaps a little weak, but you are prepared to suspend your disbelief due to the view you get of earth from space. SOme of the coincidences are a little bit Hollywood but overall worth seeing in 3D.
  59. Nov 12, 2013
    The opening scenes on wonderful views of earth from space may have you thinking "this is going to be another Space Odyssey". Unfortunately it's not, it's just another space movie with well crafted visual effects on a very obvious plot.
  60. Nov 11, 2013
    Great special affects but technically LOL. It breaks one law of physics per minute (sometimes more than one per minute). It also breaks about every rule of spacecraft operations. Worth seeing for the special affects, but it isn't how things really are in space.
  61. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anythingI don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anything I will ever suggest anyone to pay to see. Expand
  62. Nov 11, 2013
    I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film.I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film. Ultimately however, i felt the film never really built up into anything. If you're thinking about seeing it, i have a single piece of advice: Ignore everything you've heard or read about it, and enter the cinema without any prior expectations. Expand
  63. Nov 9, 2013
    No doubt this movie is stunning but I think that the ploy was lacking you already know what was going to happen. There was barely any action and the moments of suspense weren't exciting Its a kind of movie i'd watch on Netflix or TV
  64. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was pretty intense and at the same time, not. A lot of boring scenes and nothing really going on, then several scenes where Bullock should have died about 200 times over. The ending REALLY pissed me off by leaving off too much to wonder. She could have died of starvation right there on the beach, OR she could have moved on and lived a new life, OR return back to NASA. Too much left unsaid. Now, the film and special effects was very excellent and the scenes that weren't boring had a lot going for them. Overall, the movie is worth seeing. Expand
  65. Nov 8, 2013
    I can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a rollerI can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a roller coaster ride: all visceral feeling and absolutely no substance. Expand
  66. Nov 3, 2013
    The most over rated film since "Argo". This film is mediocre at best and I didn't care about Bulloch or Clooney. It is a one dimensional film that I cannot for the life of me understand why we have a 95 rating. Maybe somebody got paid off by the industry. Well, at least there were no aliens in it.
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really have to add a voice of sanity here, this film is fatally flawed. Did any of the reviewers ever do basic physics at school or play on a swing ?

At the critical point of the film, George Cluney's character is hanging on a tether and being PULLED away in a sustained fashion this simply cannot happen if you are weightless. Similarly, when Sandra Bullock's character is hurtling to earth subject to the g forces of re-entry her helmet is floating about weightless, who are the technical advisers here, Micky and Minnie mouse? I could just about get over that, if it were not for the acting of George Cluney, so he is about to die, be cast off into space and commit suicide and he is as jolly as a lamb in springtime am I the only person who finds this a little incongruous. As for the graphics, well the earth would not be out of focus when you are in wide shot at infinity and it was. Sandra's acting would have been a lot more believable if being a pilot, she knew which way a hatch opened and did not get thrown nearly into space TWICE by opening the door the wrong way gasp. For all of that, there were still some good space ship graphics and a nearly belivable plot, if a little simple.
  68. Nov 1, 2013
    Gravity gör många rätt, framförallt inom det tekniska. I det visuella är Gravity det bästa vi kommer att se i år; Det är en fenomenal blandning av datorgenererat och praktiska effekter som kommer få dig att tvivla på månlandning. Blanda detta med en välpolerad ljudmix och du har det bästa i rymdfilm på 40 år.

Dessvärre fallerar Gravity ganska hårt pga dess innehåll. Man får aldrig en

Dessvärre fallerar Gravity ganska hårt pga dess innehåll. Man får aldrig en emotionell koppling till karaktärerna och känner därför inget när fara lurar runt hörnet. Jag fann mig själv bry mig mer om hur det skulle gå för dem i trailern, när de bara var namnlösa rymddräkter. Det spelar ingen roll hur excentrisk man gör en karaktär, eller hur sorglig dess bakgrundshistoria ska vara, när de ändå inte känns trovärdiga i slutändan.

Vad man inte verkar ha insett med Gravity inom berättandet är att i film behöver man inte förklara allt som karaktärerna går igenom, det räcker att bara visa, man kan låta det visuella tala för sig själv. Att ha Sandra Bullocks karaktär föra små monologer för sig själv när hon borde konservera syre kommer bara tvinga tittarna ut ur upplevelsen.

Med det sagt så tycker jag faktiskt att Gravity är något som bör ses på bio, om än bara för det tekniska. Det är en väldigt vacker och välgjord film och den kommer slå stort bland många. Släng däremot inte bort pengarna på 3D:n och försök att se den i en så liten biosalong som möjligt.

69. Oct 29, 2013
    Beautiful pictures, thrilling scenario, good actors performance but there is something missing...it is as if this was not true, in fact there is something not real in the movie, however I d not know what exactly.
  70. Oct 29, 2013
    Visuals outstanding, use of audio underwhelming. Storyline/character development could have been written on a 3x5 card. In a nutshell, life happens (good and bad), get up, move forward. The end. Not a fan. Sorry.
  71. Oct 28, 2013
    I'm very disappointed that Metacritic rated this 96? No, not even close! This does not rate up there with the best ever SiFi or space movies ever and that's what 96 infers. There can only be so much drama and thrill building one woman in a space suit can have for 90 minutes and this starts to get old quickly. Worth seeing but nowhere near 96 rating!! Come on Metacritic your better than that?
  72. Oct 27, 2013
    By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long butBy the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long but as some would say, oh that removes the art of this movie. YEAH WELL A CHARACTER THAT JUST ANGSTS FOR THE 2nd HALF OF THE MOVIE ISNT A FUN THING TO WATCH. Expand
  73. Oct 27, 2013
    Disappointing. Yes, it is a fanstatic traveloge of outer space and great VFX but it does not have story. The only choices the main character makes is to do this or die, or do something or die. Those are not choices those are what we all would do in the same situation. Does the main character go through a change because of the experience... maybe... but that reallt isn't in the movie. RentDisappointing. Yes, it is a fanstatic traveloge of outer space and great VFX but it does not have story. The only choices the main character makes is to do this or die, or do something or die. Those are not choices those are what we all would do in the same situation. Does the main character go through a change because of the experience... maybe... but that reallt isn't in the movie. Rent it and ignore the critic reviews. I can't believe no critic gave it a yellow. Expand
  74. Oct 26, 2013
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra unfortunately Sandra Botoxy face killed the passion and compassion in this movie layoff botox sandra and this comes from a fan not a fan of clooney and to feel he gave life to the movie shows how un impressed i was with acting. to validate my points imagine
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra
    to validate my points imagine Susan Sarandon face in the movie and see what feelings you can get from her( this movie needed her eyes a human eyes that mirror the heart of struggling soul.

I am sci fi fan, and to make her hit the buttons randomly on the chines station was over the top.

i gave it 5 for space face only.
  75. Oct 26, 2013
    I just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real personI just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real person that has any value in the movie is Clooney who is also non existent throughout the film. The only thing I praise about this movie is the CGI, there isn't really anything else satisfying about this movie. Expand
  76. Oct 26, 2013
    Incredible special effects including what was done to Bulloch's body. Watch on IMAX 3-D. Everything else in the movie was ridiculous. This is not a science fiction movie but a summer action blockbuster.
  77. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw a 95 score I said wow! When I SAW the movie I said bow-wow! I am resigned to the fact the only movies being made are special effects, chick flicks and teen hormones gone wild. When you step back and assess what you saw you realize it was a well done National Geographic special with pretenders(actors) No outstanding performances., no imaginative plot. A couple of government space wanderers get in "over" their heads and through the miracle of movies, one survives. The only thing that bothers me more than the $13 we paid was the MILLIONS Clooney and Bullock "accepted" to basically play space puppets. SHAME on them and me for giving them my Expand
  78. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gravity delivers A++ visual appeal driven by what must be cutting edge CGI and cinematography. The art probably needs some new words to describe the techniques on display here. I have no regrets for having shelled out to see this on a big screen. It looks great.

But apart from all the spectacularism, sadly this is a mangy dog of a movie. Clooney is wasted in this miscast role. Why is he here? He seems bored by his own "acting", which is nothing but his usual "I am a playful scamp but I am also so wise" routine. George Cool is so cool he doesn't bat an eye or raise his voice a whit when it is time for his character to voluntarily (and conveniently) float off into the void. Plenty of other actors could have brought a needed edginess to the role.

The implausible story line is razor thin and the maudlin dialog has all the flair of box of rocks.

How lucky for us that Bullock's character could never stop talking to herself! What the filmmakers hoped would come off as be nervous chatter sounds like the clunky exposition that it is. Despite that, Bullock's over-earnest performance manages to rise to the level of barely decent, which is really something considering she had so little to work with.

Critiques of the conveniently flawed physics and flawed technology of space travel in Gravity are abundant, so let's not rehash all that. Except for my personal favorite!! Bullock's character gets to the Soyuz capsule and needs to go outside to cut the ropes. What does she find? A Russian spacesuit that is perfectly tailored for her body!! What are the odds of that???
  79. Oct 22, 2013
    A good movie that tried to show the horrors of space in a more (but not totally) realistic manner. Gravity touches on Sandra Bullock's character having little experience being fast-tracked into space, where everything inevitably goes wrong because of *ahem* the Russians.
    Good cinematography and music do make it an enjoyable watch, but Bullock's portrayal of a completely incompetent astronaut do get annoying I found myself loving the first half of the film, but slowly lost interest even as events rose to a climax.
  80. Oct 22, 2013
    People who gave Gravity a high rating obviously don't know much about the current state of the art of space travel or satellite orbits.

The cinematography is great for sure. Cinematography gets a 10. Technical inaccuracies and ridiculous plot line keep Gravity from being anything like the experience of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  81. Oct 21, 2013
    Sandra and George terrific actors. Special Effects perfect. When the action actually came in it was impressive the story is good, but nothing really to pull you in I feel asleep 3 times. Boring characters.
    It's like Avatar when the action comes it's good, decent story, good actors (not acting), and amazing effects, but also like Avatar boring, predictable, and feels like it was written in a day. Why not a lot have been written in a day. I'd advice you to just look up the exciting stuff on YouTube, because the hype (unless you're the one to follow it) will let you down.
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    I signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this beI signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this be as good as Sunshine? Moon? Perhaps better?

And then I got this. What a waste of some serious audio and visual talent. Imagine if there was some science? Or a story? Or some sane dialogue?

You get the picture. 5 points for all the technical people behind this. Nothing for anything else. See it to support the genre and hope that the next time a movie like this is pitched they recognize that the rave reviews and big box office happened despite the characters/dialogue/story.
  83. Oct 19, 2013
    While it is enjoyable; I feel it is overrated. The critics reacted as if the movie was truly phenomenal and ground breaking. While the special effects were good, the movie didn't draw me in emotionally as much as I had hoped.
  84. Oct 17, 2013
    a fun adventure from beginning to end. but i felt that the movie had to many Over Dramatic moments. I will not show any spoiler's but i still do recommend this movie if you like space exploration and that Survival Instinct feeling.
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    ...ok then.....still not sure what the fuss was all about...the effects overshadow all else goin on in this nonsense...last third of the movie i was rooting for the debris....have found that ms bullock over the course of many roles has developed a unique ability to simply be annoying.....if there are awards for that ...you go girl....
  86. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible visuals, disappointing story, and here it is: almost every attempt to get back to earth falls apart, with a dozen narrow escapes in between. To me, the moment when Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock crawls ashore is when the story got really interesting and was when a good story might have begun. But then the movie ends a minute later. The filmmakers forgot to research some things that might have made the relationships more plausible between Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. Tragedy strikes in space, and to kill time and use up precious oxygen while floating around, Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney engages Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock in a cheeky get-to-know-you conversation. Wouldn't they know some basic bio facts about each other after training together for a few years? I didn't hear much dialogue that would have seemed believable on land, let alone in space, where there are a few more protocols to follow. Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock and Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney were cast pretty pointlessly here- neither Oscar™ winning actor was really suited to the roles, and Clooney's chatty charm seems out of place in space. There is so little character development and so little spark beween the two ONLY characters in the movie, that I could never snap out of the realization that I was watching Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. In the end, the movie was just like its setting, just a lot of empty space. But pretty. Expand
  87. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Repetitive.
    The reason why this movie has and 8 for the score is for two reasons: George Cloony, and the special effects.
    Why the movie is repetitive:
    FIrst 30 min: George Cloony gives a great performance, and then gives a cheesy goodbye speech to Sandra bullock, who is a very mediocre actor.
    Middle 30 min: Everything goes to sh*t and there is a loop of the same scene 3 times. It goes like this: Everything is going fine, then something goes wrong, and then the debris comes, and Sandra Bullock saves herself at the last second. This happens at least 3 times in the movie.
    Last 30 min: Sandra Bullock says woof woof to a chinese guy for 10 minutes, and then has a cliche' dream of George Cloony, which allows her to get out of her hopeless situation. Then the movie ends with the typical i-will-push-to-the-end ending, and she arrives on earth as the "only survivor'.
    So typical.
    Pros:
    George Cloony
    Special Effects
    Nice 3D
    Good Directing
    The chinese guy
    Cons:
    Repetitive
    Terrible writing
    Sandra Bullock
    Loops
    The whole movie is filler, this movie could have been half an hour. Its all stretched out.
    Sandra Bullock didnt die.
    A chinese guy that had 10 minutes of audio time gave a better performance than anyone on screen
    There are only two actors.
    Slow
    Pointless
    Spinning
    Heavy Breathing
    George Cloony gave a performance for maybe 20 minutes.
    The whole budget was spent on SFX, and they spent very little for the acting.
    A hollywood sellout movie. Very average and typical
  88. Oct 14, 2013
    Gravity is a difficult movie to recommend or to discourage others away from. As a movie-going experience it is certainly something to behold. The visuals, as you have almost undoubtably heard by now, are stunning. This is largely due to the use of very well-done 3D that was not slapped on as a money-making afterthought. It is truly a beautiful movie.

As an entire film, however, I

As an entire film, however, I cannot say I enjoyed it. The plot was limited, the characters were thing, and, worst of all, the dialogue was unforgivably bad. Loaded with cheesey, corny, and schmaltzy lines, it served only to pull you out of the movie and make you roll your eyes. This may not be a deal breaker for everyone, but for me it was unbearable. Keep in mind that there isn't an awful lot of dialogue given the "plot" and the events in the movie, but this only means that what dialogue there is holds that much more weight.

So, if you are looking for a theatre experience, see this movie in 3D just for sake of not missing an impressive technical feat. If you are looking for a solid movie in terms of script and story, I can't recommend it. If you absolutely will not see movies in 3D and wish only to see the 2D version, I similarly can not recommend you drop the $10 per ticket. Wait to be underwhelmed at home on Netflix or Redbox DVD.
  89. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot is really poor and filled with stereotypes such as the "Russian Mistake" and the "Oriental guy who cannot understand English".
    The visuals are really the best you can imagine for a sci-fi movie, but the intrusive music that you hear in Cuaron's space (instead of the silence and the breathing sound) ruins the whole experience. Also there are PLENTY of mistakes, such as the airlocks, that in the real world are always opened inwards the station and can be opened only from there, otherwise the gasses will flow out so fast that your body will be sent on a trip to Vulcan. All the equipment during the EVA is ALWAYS linked to the astronauts (yes, I'm speaking about the flying wrench), Houston does not listen to music during missions, astronauts do not speak about their life or fly with a jetpack around the ship (the real one is called SAFER and it's only for emergency use). Least but not last, if the crew of the ISS should be forced to escape, would have been using BOTH the Soyuzes (without leaving one for Sandra Bullock). Want good sci-fi? Watch Moon, Europa Report and obviusly 2001. This is crap.
  90. Oct 13, 2013
    Seems to be very overrated by both critics and fans, but I still liked it. Not an all-time classic like some are saying, but a good film that I'd recommend seeing. The CGI and 3D were appealing, but the plot and characters were not. Not a bad film, but I won't be seeing it again for a while. A solid 6/10.
  91. CMC
    Oct 12, 2013
    All of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slowAll of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slow and quiet times in space, and the complete lack of any psychological development. Sure it is a problem to get to know a character when they have a glass bubble on their head. But Malick or Kubrick could have done almost the same film, same shots and events, and it would have been moving and disturbing. This is indeed a popcorn movie and nothing more. Expand
  92. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I paid the extra bucks primarily to see how far 3D has come since Avatar. It has gotten better and the CGI effects in Gravity are quite good. Now, having said that the plot is really silly. Clooney's character jetting around the shutlle seems absurd. Bullock having to survive one smash up after another is classic Hollywood. The science is mostly wrong (e.g. Clooney floating away after being caught by Bullock). Worth seeing but only for the cinematography and effects. I also wonedered where the shark was at the end like another reviewer. Expand
  93. Oct 12, 2013
    GiantMidget, you have hit the nail right on the head. I entered the movie expecting to be amazed by the effects of gravity, but I was sadly disappointed until the final 5 minutes. I may as well have just watched all the previews and left, as they contained more gravity than the entire movie itself. Not impressed.
  94. Oct 11, 2013
    “Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching“Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching the opening credits of “2001 A Space Oddysey” or attending an Imax film on the International Space Station.
    Ms. Bullock and Mr. Clooney just don’t belong in the movie since their portrayals are simply not believable.. In casting Ms. Bullock, the director no doubt remembered her in the film “Speed” and her attempt to control a runaway bus. Unfortunately, in this film, she is supposed to be more than an innocent passenger and, instead of a bus, she plays an astronaut attempting to control a damaged space ship. It just doesn’t work and the 91 minutes it takes to tell the story is much too long, even for a “woe-manned” (pun intended) space flight. Mr. Clooney’s participation is a puzzlement and, as for Ed Harris, he was smart enough not to be seen but only heard..As I watched the film I was aware of the large number of critics who literally loved this picture. Why, I do not know. As for me, I can only be grateful that I saw the film in 3D since the space images are the only redeeming features in it. For that reason I give the film a 6.5 for, without these scenes, it could well deserve less.
  95. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is a long movie, which needed a better story line. At times I felt bored, it seems the same thing happens over and over again. Sandra Bullock's character barely grabs on to something, but manages to hold on. Some of the best effects and hands down should be nominated for "best visual effects" at the Oscars.
    The trailer gives the idea that the movie is based on Sandra Bullocks
    The trailer gives the idea that the movie is based on Sandra Bullocks character floating away, and NASA trying to save her. This is not the case at all. It has a less exciting story line, it just didn't pull the audience in.
  96. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line this movie is overrated. It's not worth the money. Boring. The same thing happens over and over again, space debris and spinning out of control in space. Some weird music too. I think it was a cheap way for the two big actors to make money for the holiday's and based off these ratings they will sadly. Expand
  97. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting movie... interesting, not awesome. The Idea behind the Movie is quite original, though simple. There is only 1 important Character (Dr. Stone) and Sandra Bullock is doing a good job. Still, the whole Movie seems kinda messed up. Not because of the Story, you dont even really have to pay attention to the Movie, because you'll usually know, what will happen next. And that's bad. But there's something else: Some Scenes just dont fit. For Example, when she enters the ISS, she's floating around in space doing almost nothing for a couple of Minutes... Smae thing when she's talking to that Chinese guy... these Scenes are calm and peaceful, while others are completely different (eg. when she escapes the ISS). The Movie is trying to be thrilling, but it doesnt really work, because the whole Movie is very predictable (well, except for that Dream Scene, where Kowalski returns). The Special Effects are good, that's for sure and George Clooney is just doing an awesome job, but the Movie cant make me feel with Dr. Stone, neither Kowalski. I always felt like i was watching an experimental Movie, and not a very good one in particular... Expand
  98. Oct 7, 2013
    As a spectacle this film is pretty much the definition. It's definitely spectacular, but I think it's appeal would disappear on the small screen or not in 3d. It's really pretty gimmicky.

The story is about as barebones as you can get while still being able to bill someone as the writer. The acting is alright, but I don't think they'd make anyone who is prone to panic attacks an astronaut. Nor probably the inventor of something. Anyway, most things in this film aren't really plausible in any sort of way.

I dunno, the fact that a major part of the story hinges on a momentary inconsistency in the laws of motion kinda bugs me a lot.

Either way, it's a pretty fun waste of 90 minutes, but if you see it, see it on the big screen or not at all.
  99. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning.I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning. Oscar-worthy material? Okay, maybe for special effects. Expand
  100. Oct 7, 2013
    A big disappointment! The story line was so unbelievable there was no possibility of drama. Direction was weak. George Clooney’s character acted silly for the position he occupied. Sandra Bullock did a good job but she was the wrong person for the part, and her character lacked continuity. The visual effects were good and 3D was a good choice for the movie. The movie wasn’t terribleA big disappointment! The story line was so unbelievable there was no possibility of drama. Direction was weak. George Clooney’s character acted silly for the position he occupied. Sandra Bullock did a good job but she was the wrong person for the part, and her character lacked continuity. The visual effects were good and 3D was a good choice for the movie. The movie wasn’t terrible but if that’s the best that can be said it would be better to wait for it to be on TV. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.