8.8

1. Mar 17, 2011
    One of the best and finest comedy movie I have ever seen so far, about a weatherman stuck in the Groundhog Day. Excellent humor, story, and setting choice they used for the movie. Oh and, Bill Murray's fine acting as well. :)
  2. Jun 6, 2011
    Irony, at it's truest!

A movie that repeats itself, over and over again, and which I CAN WATCH over and over again more than any other and love every minute... well, if not irony, then what -- awesomely funny at least! This movie is COMEDIC GOLD! I LUV LUV LUV this flik above all other comedies... Could it be the Franco-American Spaghetti phenomenon? Perhaps... I'll admit that could be
    Irony, at it's truest!

This movie is COMEDIC GOLD!

I LUV LUV LUV this flik above all other comedies... Could it be the Franco-American Spaghetti phenomenon? Perhaps... I'll admit that could be part of it.

Huh, you don't know about that? Well, when I was a kid liked FAS. If I had FAS as an adult, I'd no doubt hate it, but... well... it's too late... I love it, story over--I LUV LUV LUV'd it, as a child, and still do.

Anyway, perhaps the magic this movie has is bound to time and age, but whatever, it will ALWAYS hold a warm place inside me. How many fliks do that?

Whatever, I HEREBY DECLARE THIS FLIK COMEDY GOLD -- A NATIONAL TREASURE!!!

It is to me, no other will be declared as such--my review, my hyperbole.
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    Groundhog Day is a sharp, witty satire on the facts of life and how the passing of time is critically important for life to go on. This movie could've been undermined very easily with the wrong screenplay, but it gets it almost perfectly right.
  4. Jul 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was a really good movie. It was funny, romantic, and made you think. It made you think about if you had one day to repeat, what would you do with it. Bill Murray is great in it and it was a really great movie. Expand
  5. Sep 2, 2011
    One of the best comedies of all time. It's a perfect mix of comedy, actual intelligence and great acting. Bill Murray's performance is one of the best ever
  6. Feb 6, 2012
    Groundhog Day is a movie with a simple message but the way in which it is developed is amazing, because it is purely human, the things Phil does are the ones that probably everyone would do if they were in that situation. At first he tries to resolve the problem, and then he takes advantage of the circumstances, after that the meteorologist attempts to finish with his condition, andGroundhog Day is a movie with a simple message but the way in which it is developed is amazing, because it is purely human, the things Phil does are the ones that probably everyone would do if they were in that situation. At first he tries to resolve the problem, and then he takes advantage of the circumstances, after that the meteorologist attempts to finish with his condition, and finally Phil reaches the maximum level of egocentricity believing that he is some kind of God, until he realizes that there is only one way to scape. What the whole thing represents is the path you need to go through in order to lose and find yourself, although the things that happen in the middle are of your business.
    This film has a great cast, starting by Bill Murray, which I think is the best performance of his career; also Andie MacDowell and Stephen Tobolowsky are incredible. The music is so nostalgic, my favorite is I Got You Babe by Sonny and Cher, and the form in which is interrupted by the broadcasters always makes me laugh. This is a special picture and I will never forget it, and if you think the Groundhog day is repeated to many times, I can say to you: that day is repeated the same amount of times as the days in a season.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day" is not only a worthy addition to Bill Murray's stellar repertoire, an unendingly hilarious comedy, an uncommonly sweet narrative, or a truly compelling thematic adventure. It's a monumentally significant addition to cinema as a whole.
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    So-called comedy starring Bill Murray who's too old. He's a weather reporter who has a big chip on his shoulder and isn't at all happy about having to report on a groundhog that can tell the weather. But he manages to get thru the day without any major upset. That's where the movie should end. Could've been a 10/10. But the writers must have run out of ideas and then pretty much told theSo-called comedy starring Bill Murray who's too old. He's a weather reporter who has a big chip on his shoulder and isn't at all happy about having to report on a groundhog that can tell the weather. But he manages to get thru the day without any major upset. That's where the movie should end. Could've been a 10/10. But the writers must have run out of ideas and then pretty much told the same story again and again. It's pretty much a scratched record of a movie. But the writers must have run out of ideas and then pretty much told the same story again and again. It's pretty much a scratched record of a movie. But the writers must have run out of ideas and then pretty much told the same story again and again. It's pretty much a scratched record of a movie. You see where I'm going... Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2013
    While there are MANY, MANY laughs in this movie, and I did enjoy it; however, the ending was terribly predictable. I did like it, but I didn't love it. It was a great little for late night watching! I give this movie a B!
  10. Nov 10, 2010
    Bill Murray's excellent performance in this hilarious movie
  11. Nov 20, 2010
    Quite possibly the best comedy film every made. Bill Murray is perfect as the glib, cruel and self-absorbed local weatherman who becomes trapped repeating the same day over and over again. Eventually he learns the true meaning of life and love.
  12. Oct 30, 2014
    Weatherman Phil Connors is sent to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to begrudgingly cover the annual Groundhog Day festivities. Following the broadcast he tries to leave town but finds himself caught in a snowstorm which forces him to spend the night. Unfortunately for Phil he awakes the next day to find that it is actually Groundhog Day again and again and again. At first confused by hisWeatherman Phil Connors is sent to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to begrudgingly cover the annual Groundhog Day festivities. Following the broadcast he tries to leave town but finds himself caught in a snowstorm which forces him to spend the night. Unfortunately for Phil he awakes the next day to find that it is actually Groundhog Day again and again and again. At first confused by his predicament Phil soon realises that he can also use it to his advantage; to re-write the events of his day, and to generally have a whale of a time.

The repeating day formula has now been done to death in movies and on TV but none have ever lived up to the quality of Groundhog Day. This is largely due to Bill Murray, always a brilliant comic actor, but is truly exceptional here. The movie does contain some darker moments as Phil finds himself losing hope but Groundhog Day is primarily a comedy, and an excellent one at that, and the fact that the term Groundhog Day has entered popular culture is the best testament to this.

Often imitated but never bettered Groundhog Day is a must see movie.
  13. Nov 7, 2011
    "You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    A fantastic movie. Very original and a great experience. It's funny as well as philosophical. It's got something for everyone a must see! The concept behind it is truly fascinating, but could've been explored a bit deeper. Nevertheless, an awesome job, I hope there's a sequel sometime in the future.
  15. Mar 23, 2012
    This film is lovable, it symbolises hope and enlightenment, it is uplifting, it is funny, it has an AMAZING cast (Bill Murray plays it so well), but most of all, being a comedy, it manages to pull this all off without reverting to slapstick, tired and forced punchlines and predictability. Romance doesn't bother this cool old classic, it's all part of the beauty and the sparkling light atThis film is lovable, it symbolises hope and enlightenment, it is uplifting, it is funny, it has an AMAZING cast (Bill Murray plays it so well), but most of all, being a comedy, it manages to pull this all off without reverting to slapstick, tired and forced punchlines and predictability. Romance doesn't bother this cool old classic, it's all part of the beauty and the sparkling light at the end of this tunnel. Expand
  16. Nov 18, 2011
    You can't hate this movie. No-one can! I had great time watching it, - as a matter of fact, I watched it twice and I'm looking forward to watching it again someday! One of the best comedy movies ever made. Great acting and everything. There's nothing bad I can say about this movie.
  17. Nov 16, 2011
    Quite possibly one of the greatest films of all time. Bill Murray never ceases to entertain. The film is as funny as it was in 1993. Do yourself a favor. Watch Groundhog Day.
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    The difference and long-lasting legacy that clings to Bill Murray's 'Groundhog Day' is that it is a genuinely funny film, Murray takes the reigns on a sort of time-travel/loop piece that is simple in premise, but complex and meaningful in delivery, witty yet slapstick at the same time. It takes a natural approach to the subject of how someone would react to living the same day over andThe difference and long-lasting legacy that clings to Bill Murray's 'Groundhog Day' is that it is a genuinely funny film, Murray takes the reigns on a sort of time-travel/loop piece that is simple in premise, but complex and meaningful in delivery, witty yet slapstick at the same time. It takes a natural approach to the subject of how someone would react to living the same day over and over again, the first step is shock and disbelief, but onwards its fun and reaping the rewards of an unexplainable phenomenon, that's exactly what weatherman Phil (Murray) experiences as he covers Groundhog Day in Pennsylvania, he is a confident, egotistical and charming man who meets producer Rita (Andie MacDowell) who sees right through Phil and his over-zealous personality. As he begins to relive the same day, he starts to use it to his advantage to try and woo Rita, this is where we begin to see Phil seeing the error of his ways and his attempts to try and change his life. Murray brings real charisma and vintage charm to a simple role, his timing and reaction is in full force here where he uses his repetition of days for selfish means and also to impress flabbergasted onlookers for his 'predictions' of Jeopardy. This is an interesting tale of how repetition and routine can change ones outlook in their own life, whether they feel meaningless or not, it also shows the impact that he can have on others, but it also studies the fact that everyone has the room for change and never to settle for the same old thing, even though he sees it day after day. While the film can be too deliberately paced for some, it explores each avenue of such a life-changing event even if it happens again and again, realising the people closest to him matter most, whether co-workers or even homeless strangers, he tries to change everyone's life even in the smallest of ways.
    This is a funny, touching and equally as inspirational piece of cinema that takes risks in the repetitive nature but ultimately pays off to see the change in one person, Bill Murray couldn't have been more likeable or sincere in his delivery as he struggles with not knowing how to get out of the rut he is in, and how to convince other people to see the change in him.
  19. Dec 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film had a very entertaining story line. This movie is basically about a weather man named Phil(Bill Murray) that lives the same day over and over again. The day he lives over is Groundhog Day, that's why the movie is called Groundhog Day. Phil is not the nicest of men, not even to his co-workers Rita and Larry. But having to live the same day over and over again causes him to become a better person. He tried to save the life of a homeless man, save a kid from falling from a tree, and he even falls in love with his producer Rita. There where only a couple of funny parts but that's how I like my comedies. Overall this was a really great film. Expand
  20. Jan 18, 2012
    The film maintains a heartfelt warmth throughout even the coldest of parts of the film. Bill Murray does a great job of playing the sincere caring weathermen, portraying all areas of emotion with satisfying gusto.
    Great Watch, unmissable unless your planning on committing social suicide.
  21. Nov 25, 2012
    An hilarious romantic comedy that tells a beautiful story by depicting awful truths. It's Bill Murray at his best, and it has an unquestionably powerful message that can be appreciated and, at the same time, enjoyed.
  22. Aug 31, 2014
    Bill Murray at his very best! It's no easy feat to relive the same moments over and over in a film and keep it fresh. Groundhog Day is classic comic gold.
  23. Jul 8, 2014
    Groundhog Day is absolutely hilarious, but also manages to be a very heart warming and smart. Throughout, the repeating days never becomes old and tired, much the opposite in fact as every time he relived the same day it felt new and interesting. Plus, every scene never really ceased to be funny, as Bill Murray was undeniably at his very best in this film, both as a comedian and as anGroundhog Day is absolutely hilarious, but also manages to be a very heart warming and smart. Throughout, the repeating days never becomes old and tired, much the opposite in fact as every time he relived the same day it felt new and interesting. Plus, every scene never really ceased to be funny, as Bill Murray was undeniably at his very best in this film, both as a comedian and as an actor. In addition, the moral and events of this one are almost always very touching when they are not funny. Watching Phil Collins transform as a human being by living the same day is a great thing to watch and is also a credit to the great script for this one. The script manages to tell a story that has been told many times before in a very fresh and unique way, while almost tricking us into thinking it is brand new. That is not bad thing either, as it really makes this film all the more enjoyable and always leaves you wondering what is ahead next. Overall, this one is a very unique approach to a similar topic that never really feels tired thanks to its great acting, comedic elements, and script. Expand
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    I love this movie! He lives the same day over and over, and its funny cause I can watch it over and over. Makes you wonder what would you do if you could try everything again and again.
  25. Feb 24, 2015
    Groundhog Day is one of those rare comedies that is both kind, heartfelt, smart, and very, very funny.Strong performances, original setting, and great writing make Groundhog Day a true classic.
  26. Aug 5, 2014
    Groundhog Day sets out to accomplish the inconceivable, where few comedies, or movies of any kind, or art forms of any device dare to tread. It is determined to ultimately answer: How does one find true happiness. The kind of baby that might have been hatched by crossing Woody Allen and Dali Lama. What's truly amazing is that it pretty well achieves this without being pretentious orGroundhog Day sets out to accomplish the inconceivable, where few comedies, or movies of any kind, or art forms of any device dare to tread. It is determined to ultimately answer: How does one find true happiness. The kind of baby that might have been hatched by crossing Woody Allen and Dali Lama. What's truly amazing is that it pretty well achieves this without being pretentious or portentous. Its humble, pedestrian style coincides with it's charitable message. Furthermore, it's a riot!

What do you do when the snowstorm of life traps you into a place you don't want to be? Self-destructive anarchy is an option: drinking, stealing, screwing, lying, joyriding and suicide. But this is a big storm so long-term solutions are required. The good news if you're lonely and unhappy? You probably have more time to dedicate to self- improvement (music lessons, ice sculpturing).

But challenging the self must have worthwhile outcomes. Phil, believing he's magical, challenges himself to get Rita to sleep with him within 24 hours. He's being dishonest, still playing games and ends up getting slapped in the face repeatedly. It appears that Phil's obstinate pattern of narcissistic behaviour is the cause of this inert existential loop, and one that traps everyone he is in contact with. When he finally realizes that while money, sex and immediate self-gratification might have their perks, they are short-lived and vastly overrated, and a major personality overhaul will be required to escape this Kafkaesque nightmare. An endless, insanely frigid winter is bound to contain him (them (us)) unless new strategies are introduced, alternative energies adopted, the shift away from a self-serving paradigm sustained.

To his credit, Phil refuses to be cornered in by the status quo and become one in a million zombies chanting “it is what it is”. Phil actually starts to recover when he gives up trying. When he dismisses the quick fixes (sex, booze, anger, lying and fighting), when he relinquishes his ego and lets go of his smarmy King Joffrey-Justin Bieber juvenility, when he learns to be himself, like himself, settle into his own skin so he can thrive in and, in turn, improve his surroundings. In a reversal of "It's a Wonderful Life", rather than Bedford Falls being worse off from George's absence, Punxsutawney is better off with Phil's presence. Routine days require routine acts of kindness and Phil and the entire town collectively benefit from it. Phil is a born-again humanist, one who rescues himself from himself, escaping a solipsistic rotation of mutually-destructive behaviour simply by being a good Samaritan. The forecast: many rewarding days of sunshine.

I always had a bit of a problem with the ending. That the cycle of unhappiness only ends when the guy gets the girl. But now I see that getting the girl was coincidental (and symbolic). Before he gets the girl he has to get himself. That's how you put a reverse spin on a downward spiral. The girl is now able to love the boy because he is love-worthy. The boy could be anyone. A politician. A corporation. You.

For once, the audience isn't forced to surrender its intelligence (or its healthy cynicism) to embrace the film's sunny resolution.
  2. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    There were a lot of ways for this film to go stupid; it succumbs to none of them.
  3. Considering that none of the characters is fresh or interesting, it's a commendable achievement that the quality of the storytelling alone keeps the movie watchable and likable.