4.4

1. Dec 28, 2010
    I took my eleven year-old daughter to see Gulliver's Travels. She found it so unfunny that she wanted to leave at the halfway stage. I told her to say, as I hoped that it would get better....but it did not. If anything, it got even worse, and I had to apologise for making her sit through the whole thing.

The whole thing is a disaster. Jack Black is excruciatingly unfunny and boorish, throughout the entire film. Major British talents, Billy Connolly and Catherine Tate, are awarded zero funny lines by the script writers. They at least managed to look professional, which is quite an achievement in this car crash of a movie. The female romantic lead, of whom we see very little, also manages a half-decent performance. But those really are the only positives that I can find. A complete waste of a morning and £14.
  2. Dec 29, 2010
    Very little redeems this movie from the punishing 2-hour running time. Juvenile, disgusting, and completely unfunny. The CG looks good, but there's nothing special.
  3. Dec 28, 2010
    -__- I'm sorry this has got to be up there with my worst all time films. As usual Jack Black played HIMSELF in what was a cheesy, insipid 'comedy' with limited actors and shockingly bad CGI. Let's face it, all it had going for it was Jack Black's persona to boost profit at box office and a foxy bird. Hence my 1/10 user score. I enjoyed my M&M's more.
  4. Sep 15, 2011
    "Gulliver's Travels" is not funny. The story is not funny, Jack Black delivers a decent performance, the depth of the movie is shallow....It is NOT funny.
  5. Dec 30, 2010
    With deadening predictability, the filmmakers have reduced a definitive satire about the flaws and foibles of human nature into family-friendly sub-Disney pabulum about an affable slacker who finally musters up the courage to ask a pretty girl at work for a date.
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is unrealistic in so many ways from the original one. Seriously, they added a super giant robot in the film. That didn't even make sense ! It wasn't funny (maybe a few chuckles), the plot was to simple (so simple that it became boring) and the acting was average. Jack Black played, again, the same type of character (nothing different). The 3D effects wasn't necessaryThis movie is unrealistic in so many ways from the original one. Seriously, they added a super giant robot in the film. That didn't even make sense ! It wasn't funny (maybe a few chuckles), the plot was to simple (so simple that it became boring) and the acting was average. Jack Black played, again, the same type of character (nothing different). The 3D effects wasn't necessary (approximately ten minutes of the entire film).The other effects were cool. This is easily one of the worst movies of 2010. At least Emily Blunt was hot in this movie. Expand
  7. Jan 6, 2011
    Oh dear. How could an Idea and a cast with so much potential turn out a movie so flat and painfully unfunny? the blame for this falls entirely on the writers of this awful and unfunny script. The actors sure try their best. Chris O'dowd from tv show 'The IT crowd' does a good job with the terrible material that is given to him and Jack Black is always entertaining to some extent and to beOh dear. How could an Idea and a cast with so much potential turn out a movie so flat and painfully unfunny? the blame for this falls entirely on the writers of this awful and unfunny script. The actors sure try their best. Chris O'dowd from tv show 'The IT crowd' does a good job with the terrible material that is given to him and Jack Black is always entertaining to some extent and to be fair there are one or two good laughs in it but that doesn't mean you should go and see it. When I walked out of this film I thought 'who looked at this script and thought this was funny?' and believe me it was the first film I have ever walked out of. In conclusion, a completely unfunny mess of a movie. Screw you Joe Stillman, screw you Nicholas Stoller. You have ruined this movie. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2010
    This was the worst film I have ever seen. It is what prompted me to find and register on this site to submit my first ever review. My kids thought it was stupid and a waste of time. Not funny. Portrays the very worst of sleazy lazy north American non-culture. A cheesy money grab. Don't bother seeing it-read the book. Given that it is based on literature, too bad they waste such great potential.
  9. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really, truly, awful. Unfunny, and a blatant rip off of almost every other animated or semi animated movie ever made. Do not see this movie. For your own good. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2011
    Surprisingly Gulliver's Travels wasn't very good. Usually a movie with Jack Black is hilarious and good. I guess he didn't get a very good script.
  11. Jan 8, 2011
    I laughed no more than 2 time during the whole movie. I had high hopes since Jack Black's in it, but I was very dissapointed. Very boring movie, would not recommend it to see.
  12. Jan 6, 2011
    Not even the 3D gimmicks could save this film from mediocracy. So much of the true story moral lessons are lost and if it was not for the excellent Chris O'Dowd (see also "The IT crowd") it might not have been worth seeing at all.
  13. Jun 2, 2011
    If Jack Black wasn't in this, it would be zero, he gets a one for being his usual self, but a truly dreadful movie that gets worse and makes less and less sense the longer it goes on. The usually hilarious Billy Connolly is completely wasted as is the rest of the admittedly Z-list British cast.

Avoid, only £1.50 to rent from Blockbusters and it was still a waste of money.
  14. Apr 12, 2013
    This remake of an old classic tale is ruined in most ways possible. I just don't understand why Jack Black agrees to be a part of these cheesy, stupid kids movies. I just don't understand it. Also, the characters, along with the humor are botjust stale, boring and just down right uninteresting. I was at least hoping for at least a laugh or two, but sadly, there was nothing good to laughThis remake of an old classic tale is ruined in most ways possible. I just don't understand why Jack Black agrees to be a part of these cheesy, stupid kids movies. I just don't understand it. Also, the characters, along with the humor are botjust stale, boring and just down right uninteresting. I was at least hoping for at least a laugh or two, but sadly, there was nothing good to laugh at. Not even the scene when Gulliver takes the piss to save the building from burning. That was probably the worst moment out of the whole movie. Let me just save you the trouble. DON'T WATCH THIS! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jan 7, 2011
    At one point, Black puts out a fire by pissing on it. It's my job as a critic to piss on this dumb excuse for a movie. Consider it done.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Dec 30, 2010
    Listless, dull, and totally lacking in spectacle.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Dec 25, 2010
    Unnecessary and unfunny re-imagining of the classic satire by Jonathan Swift.