7.6

1. MartinD
    Jul 20, 2007
    I was very disappointed in this movie. All the dance numbers came across as flat and cried to be seen on stage. All the 'kids' were great but of the adults only Latifah and Janney really shined. Travolta never became Edna until the last number and "Timeless" came across as wasted time. Walken was flat and I waited 3-4 years to see Pfiffer back on screen only to feel she was I was very disappointed in this movie. All the dance numbers came across as flat and cried to be seen on stage. All the 'kids' were great but of the adults only Latifah and Janney really shined. Travolta never became Edna until the last number and "Timeless" came across as wasted time. Walken was flat and I waited 3-4 years to see Pfiffer back on screen only to feel she was miscast (and the makeup job horrible!) IF I will buy the DVD--wish would really surprise me--it would be only for 3 or 4 of the musical numbers. Expand
  2. SaraE
    Jul 20, 2007
    Glorified Disney movie. Travolta completely misses the point of a man playing Edna, oh why didn't they use Harvey Feinstein, who was born to play this role? Also, most of the young actors are just not up to the task.
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    One thing for sure, this movie is definitely not my type. But in some way, it was entertaining at some parts which is why it only JUST gets a 4.
  4. ZachZ
    Aug 1, 2007
    This is one movie that you will be guaranteed to walk out of feeling genuinely happy!
  5. MarkS.
    Aug 20, 2007
    I am a huge fan of the Broadway Hairspray; I even played in the pit with a touring company of it. The composer, Mark Shaiman, is a genius. Who knew that a gay Jew could write such funky music? Anyone who likes movie musicals even a little bit will LOVE this movie. My only complaint (which applies to almost all filmed dancing now)
  6. KenM.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Just when you thought Hollywood couldn't do anything feel-good, it comes through with this. Blonsky, Efron, Kelley and Bynes are awesome -- and they aren't even the "name" players. John Travolta goes where Harvey Fierstein and Divine have gone before. Great job. Motormouth wasn't written for Queen Latifah, but she redefined it. This generation's "Grease"? This movie Just when you thought Hollywood couldn't do anything feel-good, it comes through with this. Blonsky, Efron, Kelley and Bynes are awesome -- and they aren't even the "name" players. John Travolta goes where Harvey Fierstein and Divine have gone before. Great job. Motormouth wasn't written for Queen Latifah, but she redefined it. This generation's "Grease"? This movie has more substance and better music. Expand
  7. jesss
    Jul 22, 2007
    A wonderful, exciting, charming musical film with expert performances by the entire cast especially the marvelous Travolta and Blonsky. Go see it.
  8. WilliamM
    Jul 24, 2007
    People applauded at the end of some of the dance routines and at the end of the movie. For good reason!
  9. TylerDr.
    Aug 18, 2007
    You know, I'm not one that SHOULD like this movie. I'm a 15 year old guy. My girlfriend dragged me along to this movie and at the beginning I thought, "My God, save me." As the movie progressed, I started to like it more and more. By the end, I was smiling the entire time. This is a very, very enjoyable movie. Give it a chance.
  10. SandyC.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Great story; great songs - I felt good about taking my 8 year old daughter to it. We both had a great time.
  11. SarahP.
    Jan 6, 2008
    This movie was the best movie this year! ( besides Rataouille ) John Travolta was at his best as a woman. If I could, I would of gave this movie a hundred!
  12. SteveM.
    Jul 19, 2007
    The buzz was good on this one, but I only liked the Broadway show, and I was apprehensive about John Travolta from the previews. But from the first moment I got sucked in to the sheer pleasure of this one. It is a sweet confection with a moral that played much better on film than on stage. Great visually, wonderful choreography and a terrific cast. I recommend it without hesitation.
  13. keith
    Jul 20, 2007
    John Travolta and Christopher Walkin were totallly mis-cast.
  14. EricD
    Jul 21, 2007
    an excellent movie, with a wonderful cast and moral greater then all modern movies hairspray puts a unique twist on a challenging yet exciting time period in our history. the singing and dancing were fantastic and the actors helped the show maintain its high energy level. the only let down was the fact that they cut two great songs: the big doll house and mama I'm a big girl now, an excellent movie, with a wonderful cast and moral greater then all modern movies hairspray puts a unique twist on a challenging yet exciting time period in our history. the singing and dancing were fantastic and the actors helped the show maintain its high energy level. the only let down was the fact that they cut two great songs: the big doll house and mama I'm a big girl now, resulting in the lyrics changes in without love that were not to my liking. otherwise a great movie to be enjoyed by all Expand
  15. Mike
    Feb 5, 2008
    Very colorful, likable for the first 15 mins, and then it just became annoying! Travolts sucks a woman, he didn't look like one, didn't move like one, or speak like one. Also this is a "MUSICAL" so why are actors singing when they don't have the talent too sing!
  16. GrantW.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Terrible acting, terrible music, Queen Latifah was terrible Michelle Pfeiffer was worse, and Christopher Walken needs to learn to decline roles.
  17. JoelH.
    Sep 9, 2007
    Had high expectations, and I know it's supposed to have a bit of a camp feel to it, but John Travolta just kind of killed the whole movie, and none of the musical numbers were very memorable in my opinion. I did like the nod to Waters, Ricki Lake and Jerry Stiller, though.
  18. JimY.
    Aug 16, 2007
    This movie will not appeal to any man who does not have a strong desire to live in San Francisco. or key west. It is about the most mind numbing thing I have watched this side of rush Limbaugh. There will always be people who like any crap served to them because they think they are sophisticated. but this move it not. I think Travolta days are better spent flying instead of acting if this This movie will not appeal to any man who does not have a strong desire to live in San Francisco. or key west. It is about the most mind numbing thing I have watched this side of rush Limbaugh. There will always be people who like any crap served to them because they think they are sophisticated. but this move it not. I think Travolta days are better spent flying instead of acting if this is the best he can do. I strongly sug. you do not spend your money on this film, I down loaded it from the net and even though I did not pay for it, I felt cheated out of my time and want it back. Expand
  19. JimS
    The original is better.
  20. TylerG.
    Aug 8, 2007
    My girlfriend wanted me to go see it, so i did for one reason, because John Travolta is in my favorite movie of all time (Pulp Fiction), but seeing him play an overweight woman made me leave the theater and my girlfriend before it was over, that really genuinely sucked.
    Jan 17, 2008
    A terrible, overlong, bland, stupid, unoriginal, overblown, hammed-up waste of space, for reasons that are too glaring and all-consuming to even begin discussing here.
  22. LennyC.
    Jan 23, 2008
    If you have never seen a train wreck, watch this movie, it is an hour and a half boring music video with no let up, i felt like sceeming,, "STOP THE MUSIC"
  23. MattL.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Good performances from Nikki Blonsky and James Marsden, otherwise this is a cringeworthy excuse for entertainment. The songs and general over-exaggerated performances made me wanna throw up, and the plot was poor and implausible.
  24. ArthurC
    Jul 20, 2007
    Wow! I haven't felt this good at a movie in quite a long time. It was emotionally peppy, the music was awesome, and John Travolta's role as Edna quickly moves from stunt casting (look, it's Danny Zuko in a fat suit and a dress) into a fully realized character that you actually believe is a shut-in longing to break free. Also, this Nikki Blosky is an amazing revelation, easy Wow! I haven't felt this good at a movie in quite a long time. It was emotionally peppy, the music was awesome, and John Travolta's role as Edna quickly moves from stunt casting (look, it's Danny Zuko in a fat suit and a dress) into a fully realized character that you actually believe is a shut-in longing to break free. Also, this Nikki Blosky is an amazing revelation, easy to fall in love with. I can't fault this movie for anything, it's been a long time that a musical has been this fun. Expand
  25. ChrisV.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Great movie, i usually dont like this kind of movies, like musical and a lot of songs on it, but i think is very funny, and the chubby girl looks amazing in this film, is great... See it on the movie theater!!!!
  26. DoddiJ.
    Aug 28, 2007
    In a summer and year of so many three- and sequels, I find this film to be so upbeat and great. Yes, it's a "remake" of the John Waters film, which is great by the way, but the music and songs are brand new and specifically done for this movie. John Travolta was quoted saying, that the reason he did this musical (after having been in one of the most popular musicals of all time - In a summer and year of so many three- and sequels, I find this film to be so upbeat and great. Yes, it's a "remake" of the John Waters film, which is great by the way, but the music and songs are brand new and specifically done for this movie. John Travolta was quoted saying, that the reason he did this musical (after having been in one of the most popular musicals of all time - Grease), that the director's enthusiasm was so enormous and contagious (not a direct quote, but you catch my drift). This enthusiasm is apparent in all the actors, and while I love Michelle Pfeiffer and John Travolta, I think the kids along with James Marsden are a great team here. Wow wow wow - I feel good after this movie! Expand
  27. SihleM
    Aug 29, 2007
    I went with my 2sisters 2 c it. Even though I,m a guy I did enjoy it, much better than dreamgirls. That girl was so energitic it nearlly rubbed of me, as I nearlly joined my sisters on the dancing back home
  28. ChristinaK.
    Aug 11, 2008
    A great movie, loved every minute. Great songs too.
  29. BillyS
    Jul 20, 2007
    I gotta admit I went into this movie expecting to hate it. I love the John Waters original with Divine and I was ready to rip apart another big Hollywood commercialization of a great cult movie with the big old gimmick of casting John Travolta as Edna. Well, I've gotta suck it up and admit it. Hairspray is one great entertaining movie. When I saw Mr. Waters in a cameo 5 minutes into I gotta admit I went into this movie expecting to hate it. I love the John Waters original with Divine and I was ready to rip apart another big Hollywood commercialization of a great cult movie with the big old gimmick of casting John Travolta as Edna. Well, I've gotta suck it up and admit it. Hairspray is one great entertaining movie. When I saw Mr. Waters in a cameo 5 minutes into the film, I figured he must have at least, given the makers his blessing. The thing is, the movie is infectious and grows on you as you watch it. You never really believe Travolta is a woman, but the character somehow grabs you in a great big bear hug and never stops squeezing. Travolta could be looking at a Supporting actor Oscar nomination. Nikki Blonsky makes an impressive debut though not as scene stealing as Jennifer Hudson in last years Dreamgirls. The supporting cast are all very good, especially Allison Janney who practically steals the movie in one knee dropping hysterical scene. The credits are all top notch with the music complimenting the socially aware story with cheery foot tapping lyrics and even a gospel style anthem sung by Queen Latifah that reminds you of the serious subject. The finale of Hairspray sums up the movie perfectly- "You can't stop the beat", and I admit it, you can't! Collapse
  30. LaurenceC
    Jul 20, 2007
    I can barely breathe. huff huff. It was WONDERFUL!.
  31. Edgar
    Jul 26, 2007
    Did anyone else find this film a little racist? The squares are demonized in such a way as to suggest a more or less bankrupt culture, and then it's Funk to the rescue. There seems to be no end, in this film, to the pontificating, bible thumping verdict that all white people need to do is to adopt African American culture wholesale. The treatment of the white people in this film is Did anyone else find this film a little racist? The squares are demonized in such a way as to suggest a more or less bankrupt culture, and then it's Funk to the rescue. There seems to be no end, in this film, to the pontificating, bible thumping verdict that all white people need to do is to adopt African American culture wholesale. The treatment of the white people in this film is no more sophisticated than the way white people treated African Americans in, let's say, the 50s. The pendulum has now swung quite a ways since then, yes? Should we not be concerned about the obvious racism in this so-called fluff film? Is it not disturbing that no one seems to care that we so easily swallow this mess of negative stereotypes? I'm disturbed when, in older films, I see African Americans being marginalized. I'm just as disturbed by this very commercial entertainment and by the lack of responsibility required from the filmmakers to treat each character as a human being. There's much to love in most cultures today. I just don't understand why we feel the need to sanctify one over the other. It's worrisome, to me. Expand
  32. AdamL
    Jul 27, 2007
    This movie has to be the most stupid and pointless movie ever made. Teletubies is better than this. I walked out of the theater in the middle of the movie and demanded my money back. I recommend that no one should see this movie.
  33. GaryM.
    Jul 28, 2007
    It was a brilliant, feel-good movie with an excellent musical soundtrack! If you were a fan of the original Hairspray you immediately clocked John Waters as the flasher.
  34. DougN.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Great music, never a dull moment, well done!
  35. TimL
    Aug 1, 2007
    John Travolta totally stoled this movie. I am a big fan of both the original and the stage musical and just felt he made Edna his own and when he sang and danced it simply rocked. This movie is one of most entertaining events I have seen in awhile!
  36. CoolGuy
    Aug 1, 2007
    I loved this movie. Very amazing talent and awesome story/sequencing of events.
  37. MartinM
    Aug 1, 2007
    One of the best films I've seen in theaters in years. Pure fun from beginning to end. I've seen it thrice and will watch it thrice more this week.
  38. HoneyJR.
    Aug 13, 2007
    This is the best movie I've seen this year so far. I'm officially predicting John Travolta will take home the Golden Globe and probably even get an Oscar nod for his amazing performance. His role was an easy one to over or underplay, but he got it just right. It's a shame uptight men insecure with their sexuality can't appreciate the fun and brilliance of This is the best movie I've seen this year so far. I'm officially predicting John Travolta will take home the Golden Globe and probably even get an Oscar nod for his amazing performance. His role was an easy one to over or underplay, but he got it just right. It's a shame uptight men insecure with their sexuality can't appreciate the fun and brilliance of Travolta's performance and of this movie. And as far as the allegation that this movie racist against whites, I'd say please stop sleeping in history class like Tracy!! This is actually the way it was in the early 60s. White people wouldn't let black people mingle with white people, sit at the same lunch counters or drink from the same drinking fountains or use the same bathrooms and in places like Baltimore, this kind of treatment didn't end until the civil rights movement in the middle 60s. That's what this movie was really about, the birth of the civil rights movement. I actually found the portrayal of the Amber and Velma characters very realistic and not at all racist, as that's exactly how some white people were in 1961, that's how they behaved that those were the beliefs they held, which is why the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. the bus strike of Alabama, the march on Washington, happened. I knew quite a few Ambers in my high school days myself. I loved the score, the songs are catchy and fun and let's give props to James Marsden as Corny Collins!! He was great as Scott/Cyclops in the X-men films, but who knew he could sing and dance like that? I loved him!!! Expand
  39. BenT.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Well first off... one word, PHENOMINAL! this movie has such a great theme most of us in the U.S. and pretty much all over the world can relate to it. It sends out a message to all of us: It doesnt matter what size you are or what color you may be. Wonderful people come in all shapes and sizes. Amazing Amazing AMAZING songs and daces. And to that one man who said something like: "If you Well first off... one word, PHENOMINAL! this movie has such a great theme most of us in the U.S. and pretty much all over the world can relate to it. It sends out a message to all of us: It doesnt matter what size you are or what color you may be. Wonderful people come in all shapes and sizes. Amazing Amazing AMAZING songs and daces. And to that one man who said something like: "If you are a guy you will hate it!" well.... im a happy straight guy and you no what??? I LOVED IT!!! so dont speak for the rest of us guys cause i no some straight guys who loved this musical!!!! and youno what maybe it isnt the broadway version but it is just as good if not better. Some say nothing can beat the original well....you're wrong. This movie helps people not be insecure about some of the problems they might have. It shows us that you can have fun with insecurities and maybe show to the world what people thought you could never do. It also tells us to follow your dream and never give up no matter what or who is in your way. Expand
  40. BrianR.
    Aug 17, 2007
    how can you NOT love this movie! pure joy, great acting and the music is very well done. much like the songs, the movie builds and builds until the beat can't be stopped. Shankman earns his cred 100%.
  41. ChristopherH.r
    Aug 18, 2007
    Excellent and entertain all the way to the end credits. It truly is a film for everyone and it just makes you feel good and want to tap your feet.
  42. Pete
    Aug 21, 2007
    A totally amazing film!!! really cant beat it, its so uplifting, and such a feel good movie. Don't listen to the silly people who give it a 1 out of 10 (i mean the idiotic masochistic men, who, because they are "men" the film is rubbish) ignore them, that is narrow minded. Give this film a chance and your full attention, let go, relax, and enjoy.
  43. DanR.
    Aug 22, 2007
    I'd give it a 20 if I could. I've seen it 7 times so far and went to 2 singalongs. The music is perfect and the talent is unsurpassed. John Travolta I love you1 He plays Edna to perfection: he doesn't play it drag and he doesn't play it gay. He plays it real, and it works. He's worth the price of 10 admissions. Elijah Kelley who plays Seaweed is one of the most I'd give it a 20 if I could. I've seen it 7 times so far and went to 2 singalongs. The music is perfect and the talent is unsurpassed. John Travolta I love you1 He plays Edna to perfection: he doesn't play it drag and he doesn't play it gay. He plays it real, and it works. He's worth the price of 10 admissions. Elijah Kelley who plays Seaweed is one of the most talented singers and dancers in Hollywood these days. Nikki Blondsky makes you want to shout hallelujah there's real talent out there. James Marsden is the perfect Corny Collins. What a voice! I've seen the original movie, the stageplay and now this new movie and each of these productions stands on its own. People who can't get past the whole "gay/straight/female impersonation/ musical/male/female" thing is WHAT the whole movie is about, HELLO. And people who think the movie panders to racial stereotypes don't understand the idea of archtypes and should continue to vote Republican like they always have: they'll never get it and we'll need movies like Hairspray forever, which is fine by me! If you want to laugh, cry, sing and dance in your seat, see this movie! John Travolta deserves an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and a Golden Globe. Remember all you stick-in-the-muds: You Can't Stop The Beat! Expand
  44. KindredP.
    Aug 2, 2007
    It was a great movie about living your own dream, not just watching it. My friend and I came out of the theater and learned something about the world we never knew. (I never knew where Baltimore was until I looked it up!) See it, I enjoyed it and for those people who think it was racist, it wasn't. Thanks
  45. ErikaN.
    Aug 24, 2007
    John Travolta was absolutely fabulous. I love him.
  46. Becky
    Aug 7, 2007
    YOU CAN'T STOP THE BEAT!! This is a very funny, happy excellently choreographed movie. Guaranteed to make you want to sing and dance along with the songs. I love movie musicals, this my second favorite of all time!!! Nikki Blonsky and John Travolta all the way!!!
  47. MichaelC
    Aug 27, 2007
    This is what American cinema can and should be... a celebration of gratuitous enthusiasm, camp, and wonderful homage to Waters, West Side Story, and music. You'll walk out humming and light-hearted.
  48. MarkB.
    Aug 29, 2007
    Who would've guessed in 2006 that in 2007 Karl Rove would exit stage left...er, right; that either Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie would serve ANY jail time whatsoever...or that the guy who brought us The Pacifier AND Cheaper by the Dozen 2 would actually follow them with a really GOOD movie? Not that the original source material (John waters' cleanest movie to date, an Who would've guessed in 2006 that in 2007 Karl Rove would exit stage left...er, right; that either Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie would serve ANY jail time whatsoever...or that the guy who brought us The Pacifier AND Cheaper by the Dozen 2 would actually follow them with a really GOOD movie? Not that the original source material (John waters' cleanest movie to date, an early-1960s-set satirical-sociological study of how a local Baltimore, MD American Bandstand-type TV dance show goes from having a once a month "Negro Day" to making every day "Rainbow Day") isn't already quite irresistable, or that the stars and songs aren't pretty terrific, but Adam Shankman directs (and choreographs) with a flawless lightness and wit I never suspected he had in him. Casting is uniformly spot-on, ranging from John Travolta's amazing ability to find true tenderness in his role as Edna Turnblad, heroine Tracy's painfully shy, overweight shut-in mom (completely making us forget that we're watching him take over a role originally played by Divine!), Christopher Walken as his (her?) novelty-store proprietor husband displaying a deep love for him (her?) as convincingly as he did for Brooke Adams in The Dead Zone, and Michelle Pfeiffer thoroughly relishing her newly-regrown cat claws as a snobbish, bigoted local TV honchette looking to further her daughter's stardom. (Pfeiffer looks a little TOO emaciated, though, even if the role calls for it. If her gaunt appearance isn't the result of the same kind of special effects and makeup magic that helped make Travolta so convincing, only in reverses, then let's hope that now that this movie has long since wrapped, that David E. Kelley has stuffed a few much-needed double cheeseburgers down his wife's gullet.) Best of all, and making the debut of the year, is the infectiously sunny Nikki Blonsky as Charm City teen Tracy, who almost simultaneously discovers the pain of racism, the pleasure of celebrity and the thrill of a first romance; she's adorably cheery and perky without being saccharine, and when she smiles she could pass as Cynthia Stevenson's plus-sized kid sister. Hairspray's box office stealth success as a summer favorite (a notable accomplishment given that most of the movie musicals that followed Chicago were financial disappointments--including, sadly, Dreamgirls) shouldn't be too surprising considering how resonantly it taps into a couple of recent pop-culture undercurrents (even though it's a period piece): America's slowly growing acceptance if not embracing of personality over "perfect" looks, as evidenced by Ugly Betty's status as a TV heroine, and the yearning of many of its youth to define their own paths rather than be defined by steeotypical labels, an essential thematic element of the Disney Channel's wildly beloved High School Musical movies (which feature Hairspray's Zac Efron). Add to all this art direction and set design that flawlessly capture Baltimore at the time (I lived there for the first 25 years of my life, from 1956 to 1981, so if I'm not an expert witness, who is?), endlessly clever, catchy and exuberant songs that top Marc Shaiman's brilliant work with the South Park movie score because here they're LONGER, and a notable cameo appearance early on that undoubtedly made Hitchcock quiver with envy in his grave, and you've got a total triumph that may not necessarily be 2007's best film so far--Zodiac, Grindhouse, Black Snake Moan and Michael Moore's Sicko offer it some hard competition--but it'll certainly make you FEEL the best! Expand
  49. CurtisD.
    Nov 14, 2007
    I LOVED this movie. I am a big fan of the original 1988 movie, never had the chance to see the Broadway show, But thought this movie was perfect. I had some reservation about Travolta and Efron and never knew that Marsden could sing. But I was very pleasantly surprised. This is definitely one of the best movies of the year and definitely one to the top Hollywood Musicals of all time.
  50. EoinD.
    Aug 1, 2007
    If you are a guy you will hate it. I stood outside the movie theatre waiting for my female companion and the contrast between the experience of man and woman was striking. The females seemed to love it due to its grease-esque overtones, ie constant breaking into song for something as trivial as opening a carton of milk or doing the ironing. It is not my kind of film, but the females out If you are a guy you will hate it. I stood outside the movie theatre waiting for my female companion and the contrast between the experience of man and woman was striking. The females seemed to love it due to its grease-esque overtones, ie constant breaking into song for something as trivial as opening a carton of milk or doing the ironing. It is not my kind of film, but the females out there will enjoy it. MEN MAY NOT........HENCE My 1/10 rating. Expand
  51. JoB.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Great Soundtrack
  52. FrasierM.
    Dec 6, 2007
    This movie is fantastic I think! The music is alive and fresh. I would've gave this a ten, but Zac Efron is in it. Sorry but he is a horrible actor! I don't care how hot girls think he is! He is a horrible actor who needs to be a model. He can't sing either! He was a horrible actor in this movie! And he is so not the type to curse in a movie. He sounds like it was a forced This movie is fantastic I think! The music is alive and fresh. I would've gave this a ten, but Zac Efron is in it. Sorry but he is a horrible actor! I don't care how hot girls think he is! He is a horrible actor who needs to be a model. He can't sing either! He was a horrible actor in this movie! And he is so not the type to curse in a movie. He sounds like it was a forced cuss word! Please get a good child star that has the balls to not sound all choked whenever he cusses! Expand
  53. JennaB.
    Oct 6, 2007
    OMG It was the second best Broadway show I've ever seen next to billy eliot!!!
  54. KathrynS
    Jul 19, 2007
    This movie was FANTASTIC!! I was cautious about John Travolta, but I barely even noticed him! The cast, music, and overall energy make this a must-see!!
  55. johnm
    Jul 19, 2007
    I went to the premiere in Hollywood the other night and I loved the movie. A couple of notes: - Travolta was pretty funny. I was all set to hate him, but somehow I didn't. - Michelle Pfeiffer was great as the evil Velma Von Tussle - her evil looks were quite camp...clearly she's not the strongest singer in the cast, but her numbers were fune and she hystericaly bitchy. - Nikki I went to the premiere in Hollywood the other night and I loved the movie. A couple of notes: - Travolta was pretty funny. I was all set to hate him, but somehow I didn't. - Michelle Pfeiffer was great as the evil Velma Von Tussle - her evil looks were quite camp...clearly she's not the strongest singer in the cast, but her numbers were fune and she hystericaly bitchy. - Nikki Blonsky was wonderful as Tracy Turnblad - she's so exuberant and full of fun. - Queen Latifah was okay...great voice, but played it too much like a NAACP psa - Zak Efron - yawn...CUTE...yawn...but he really shines when he can sing and dance. - The real breakout performance was Elijah Kelley who plays Seaweed. This kid can dance and sing like nobody's business and again, brought a real sense of exuberance and life to what has always been just a supporting part. Here's the thing - the movie is interesting because it is a movie inspired by a broadway musical which was inspired by a cult movie. If you don't like musicals, don't see it. If you want a sweet, funny couple of hours then see it. But don't expect a remake of the original....nothing could be further from the reality...and what's more, it doesn't try to be. In fact, John Water's advice to Adam Shankman (the director) was not to try to remake his movie or the show..but rather to find his own voice. And honestly, while it isn't the original or the broadway version, it succeeds in its own way. I can see how we could all go in with a lot of preconceived notions and while i respect your opinion, I have to say the movie was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it as a fun time at the movies. Expand
  56. JasonK
    Jul 20, 2007
    You know, I saw it at a Sneak Preview, and had a really lingering problem with the movie, and to see it echoed in a few reviews makes me realize that I'm probably right. The truth is, whatever is happening in front of the camera in this film is great - the acting, the dancing, the music, the story, everything. But Shankman just didn't know where to put the camera. He had You know, I saw it at a Sneak Preview, and had a really lingering problem with the movie, and to see it echoed in a few reviews makes me realize that I'm probably right. The truth is, whatever is happening in front of the camera in this film is great - the acting, the dancing, the music, the story, everything. But Shankman just didn't know where to put the camera. He had absolutely no clue how to shoot the scenes. How many times did the shot make no sense, have no momentum, no purpose. It was just so poorly directed on a camera level. Made me upset, because if someone else had just directed the camerawork, this thing could have flown so high, no one would have brought it down. Expand
  57. Markh
    Jul 20, 2007
    High energy movie with John Travolta showing his acting and dancing talents. This film is 90% singing and dancing and the music is a toe-taping sendup of classic rock and roll themes and beats. The theme of the film...acceptance of all who are different...is wonderfully realized. For the first time in many, many films, the overweight heroine gets to fall in love with and kiss her High energy movie with John Travolta showing his acting and dancing talents. This film is 90% singing and dancing and the music is a toe-taping sendup of classic rock and roll themes and beats. The theme of the film...acceptance of all who are different...is wonderfully realized. For the first time in many, many films, the overweight heroine gets to fall in love with and kiss her handsome, thin and sexy co-star. Very entertaining...especially for teenage girls. Expand
  58. ScottD
    Jul 20, 2007
    The best movie-musical I have ever seen and one of the best movies I have ever seen. Great cast, great story, and a great movie to make you feel good.
  59. BJN
    Jul 20, 2007
    Great fun and performances made me want to go dancing!
  60. BillC.
    Jul 23, 2007
    After all the hype and good reviews I was disappointed. The original was funnier and packed more of an edge to it's content. The music was fair and it had a few laughs. I have to admit, most in the theater applauded at the end and seemed to find it more enjoyable then did I.
  61. BonnieK
    Jul 23, 2007
    One of the most funny and charming movies I have seen in a long time - and this coming from someone who hates musicals. Honestly, no disrespect to Divine intended, I suspect this was the movie John Waters always wanted to make.
  62. KenK
    Jul 23, 2007
    The cascading harmonies collapse in the 50's style numbers. Tracies further push into the sixties is unexplained. Travolta singularly reaches out to create a look and feel for the show, but no one followed him. The result, the characters fail to gel. Walken, a joke store owner? Can't buy it. Miss Baltimore Crabs number was forgettable. You're Timeless to Me wasn't The cascading harmonies collapse in the 50's style numbers. Tracies further push into the sixties is unexplained. Travolta singularly reaches out to create a look and feel for the show, but no one followed him. The result, the characters fail to gel. Walken, a joke store owner? Can't buy it. Miss Baltimore Crabs number was forgettable. You're Timeless to Me wasn't convincing. On stage, the entire audience said "Awwww" when it was finished. The film didn't need the overplay on integration as if it needed to be taught to young viewers. The finale was edited to pieces to the point where I spent half of it looking for the lead characters. The whole finale storyboard set-up crumbles. How sad that Shankman made us want to believe that Mr. Turnblat and Link were turned on by big rumps, but they're not! Edna is loved for her inner beauty and Link is hot for Tracy because her talent transcended her size, not because either has a fetish. The movie didn't grab me as visually as the musical did. Did we have to have fireworks in Baltimore for the sake of adding color? Desperate films employ desperate measures. I will watch this movie two more times because I am a fan of the original and the musical, but all in all, it comes in a disappointing third. Expand
  63. MichaelL
    Jul 24, 2007
    A joyous piece of fluff. I loved it. Two hours flew by--the music (with a few deletions and additions from the Broadway show) was beautifully executed. The cast was uniformly fine, with Travolta a delightful surprise. He's no Divine, nor is he Harvey F., but he's a joy in his own right. Nicky Blonsky steals the show with buckets of charisma and a voice to match. Queen Latifah A joyous piece of fluff. I loved it. Two hours flew by--the music (with a few deletions and additions from the Broadway show) was beautifully executed. The cast was uniformly fine, with Travolta a delightful surprise. He's no Divine, nor is he Harvey F., but he's a joy in his own right. Nicky Blonsky steals the show with buckets of charisma and a voice to match. Queen Latifah adds some soul to the bluster of Motormouth Maybelle. And Seaweed--he's AMAZING! Fans of the Broadway show who don't know Waters' 1988 film might quibble with plot changes, but this Hairspray is truer to the original, minus Waters' signature dark edge. With great sets, choreography, makeup, costumes, and art direction along with superb performances, Hairspray should lead the pack in Oscar buzz. Expand
  64. RobertD
    Jul 25, 2007
    Loved every minute of it.
  65. GingerJ
    Jul 25, 2007
    Fun, Wonderful, Uplifting!, Super. John Travolta was a hoot - as was Alison Janey (who was only a minor character in the story). The music was wonderful. A must-see! And if all that fun was not enough -- it taught my 10-year-old daughter a little bit about life in the 60's and how far our society has come. Great movie.
  66. FXT
    Sep 23, 2007
    Boring even if the story is good.
  67. HeatherR.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Excellent! The songs are very catchy; they never get out of your head! From the first note you fall in love with Niki and Penny. They make a great team and whole cast makes the movie a feel good flick. T They just don't make a lot of movies that are happy anymore; all you see is tears and blood. This movie is awesome and anyone should go see it, then ( just like I did ) go buy the Excellent! The songs are very catchy; they never get out of your head! From the first note you fall in love with Niki and Penny. They make a great team and whole cast makes the movie a feel good flick. T They just don't make a lot of movies that are happy anymore; all you see is tears and blood. This movie is awesome and anyone should go see it, then ( just like I did ) go buy the songs of ITunes! Expand
  68. HarrisK.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Puh-lease. I can't believe a movie with a few catchy songs can automatically get starred reviews! This movies story is extremely cliche and very cheesy. Even all the songs sound the same.
  69. JavierM
    Aug 18, 2008
    Great movie and great songs. "Hairspray" is a very funny spectacle for all family. Zac Efron and Nikki Blonsky sings like the angels and her characters are unforgetables.
  70. JK.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Boring, Cheesy, Goofy, Pretentious...... Like a loud and stupid version of American History X for kids.
  71. CharlesB.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Very long, poor musics, but impressive actings. John Travolta and Nikki Blonsky should be nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and Best Actress respectively. The Art Direction and Costumes should too. The negative side of the movie is your musics (worse) and your duration (very long), making it exhausting.
  72. AdamJ.
    Nov 6, 2007
    A modern classic! Can't remember when I laughed as hard nor felt as good at the cinema before? John Travolta and Christopher Walken is a cute couple as well! See this movie or regret it for the rest of your life!
  73. SusanS.
    Oct 19, 2007
    I was slightly skeptical going in, as I love the original, but I already liked the music, and the movie mostly had me when John Waters appeared as the flasher in Good Morning, Baltimore. My second reservation, John Travolta, disappeared the moment he uttered the word "iron." I was in.
  74. HaleyR
    Dec 10, 2007
    Feel-good movie of the year. The musical numbers were fabulously choreographed (thanks to director-choreographer Adam Shankman), and the performances were fantastic. John Travolta's and Nikki Blonsky's performances were among the best of its genre. Definitely one of the best movies of the year.
  75. PeterJ.
    Dec 19, 2007
    I got this movie for my wife to watch even though I HATE musicals. I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed this movie. It was a little long though. If they would have shortened it a little I would have given it an 8.
  76. ShirleyC.
    Oct 28, 2007
    I saw the show at the Neil Simon Theater in NYC in October 2007 and enjoyed it, but was not too keen on the guy who played the part of Edna, but enjoyed everyone else in the cast. When I returned to Australia, I saw the movie with John Travolta playing Edna I thought he was just brilliant and deserves an Oscar nomination. He was so believable in the role. Nicky Blonsky (Tracey) was also I saw the show at the Neil Simon Theater in NYC in October 2007 and enjoyed it, but was not too keen on the guy who played the part of Edna, but enjoyed everyone else in the cast. When I returned to Australia, I saw the movie with John Travolta playing Edna I thought he was just brilliant and deserves an Oscar nomination. He was so believable in the role. Nicky Blonsky (Tracey) was also terrific. She has a great voice and was just made for the part. I intend to purchase the movie soundtrack CD and I did enjoy the movie more than the Broadway show. Expand
  77. PaulL
    Jul 21, 2007
    An exuberant, fun musical that transfers the sheer enjoyment of the play to film. Definitely one of the best of the year, and certainly one of the best musicals to come along in quite a while.
  78. TracyB
    Jul 21, 2007
    What fun, which I did not expect- although I am not a John Travolta fan he was great in this film.
  79. AdamE
    Jul 22, 2007
    Hairspray completely fulfills everything it attempts; spectacular dance routines (check) catchy songs (check) famous and talented cast (check +) feel good story (check ++)...never does this film slow down or get dull...just a visually stunning movie that will leave everyone feeling good and ready to sing and dance!
  80. brianp.
    Jul 22, 2007
    Pure fun, saw both the original movie and the musical, Travolta was not as bad as i was afraid of. the girl who played Tracie and Michelle p. were the best including Christopher Walken. was very close to the musical with some bits of dark humor from the original film. very well done.
  81. olegM.
    Jul 23, 2007
    Look it: I'm not a film critic but I've watched a lot of movies in my life, and lemme tell you: this movie is not worth seeing. Baloney is the word people invented for movies like this. Best, Ollie.
  82. KarleneJ
    Jul 25, 2007
    The best time I've had at the movies in a very long time. I've never seen the original or the Broadway show so I had no preconceived notions. Loved every minute. James Marsden was great!
  83. Tim
    Jul 26, 2007
    If you think the film is racist, that's probably because it's about racism and rising above it, and you just happen to be unintelligent. This film is great.
  84. MarisaV.
    Jul 31, 2007
    This movie was the best musical movie since Grease. This is the 1rst movie I will buy since,,, I don't buy movies but this one I will.
  85. Jul 24, 2012
    It's supposed to be light-hearted, I can guarantee you that, but the bright colours just make everything look so garish. When it comes to making a feel-good musical comedy about racism, you've got to get the ingredients right - this just has a little too much sugar in it. Sometimes that songs can also get a little sickening each time you watch it as well. When it comes to John Travolta, heIt's supposed to be light-hearted, I can guarantee you that, but the bright colours just make everything look so garish. When it comes to making a feel-good musical comedy about racism, you've got to get the ingredients right - this just has a little too much sugar in it. Sometimes that songs can also get a little sickening each time you watch it as well. When it comes to John Travolta, he looks a little weird (and perhaps stupid) playing Tracy's mother. Nonetheless, it had clear boundaries over certain characters, understandably pointing out the antagonists from the good guys (and gals). I also found it fascinating about the depth of the exploration of Baltimore, where we met a few eccentric, yet funny, characters. Expand
  86. May 22, 2013
    Yes, Hairspray is indeed a fun filled film with plenty of nice little jokes, references to 80s films and some surprisingly dark moments. But the film weaves in from camp, in and out, and lacks a whole lotta logic...not to mention a somewhat disturbing appearance from John Travolta.
  87. Apr 19, 2013
    It fails on almost every level to be the amazing-ness of the 1988 original. Also, John Travolta acting as some bubblegum version of Divine is tacky and downright cinema blasphemy.
  88. Aug 24, 2014
    Filled with wonderful musical renditions of the now-classic Broadway musical, Hairspray is a delightful and charming adaptation of the stage version and it's mediocre predecessor film.
  89. Apr 3, 2012
    A wonderfully entertaining movie. A very funny script with so many diverse characters. They all come together and shine in their performances. Just flat out enjoyable.
  90. Apr 13, 2012
    Bravo! This is the best movie I have seen in years. The songs, dancing and music make this movie an enjoyable musical. Even if you don't like musicals, you are sure to walk out of the cinema or switch off your TV smiling.
  91. Sep 9, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen and yet, I'm not really into musicals. The movie just made me stand up and dance all my way to the best "You Can't Stop the Beat". A movie with true and quality content, not the crappy films that are being released. Simply great!
  92. Aug 14, 2013
    This is one of those films that is sure to put a smile on your face. I can't think of the film without getting a song stuck in my head. Well worth a watch
  93. Nov 1, 2012
    The best movie musical of all time.
  94. Dec 31, 2012
    Easily my favourite musical and it's not hard to tell why because its full of catchy songs and stand-out performances from the cast. Not only is it a great concept but it's crosses over from a Broadway show to Film so easily! Nikki Blonsky in her first major role is just a delight and she is joined by so many talented stars here, but there's no looking past John Travolta and his hilariousEasily my favourite musical and it's not hard to tell why because its full of catchy songs and stand-out performances from the cast. Not only is it a great concept but it's crosses over from a Broadway show to Film so easily! Nikki Blonsky in her first major role is just a delight and she is joined by so many talented stars here, but there's no looking past John Travolta and his hilarious portrayal of Edna! Overall a delightful film to watch and it will always be one of my favourites :) Expand
  95. Dec 27, 2013
    Ended up watching this because family put it on tv, and i didn't expect much.
    However, it was actually very entertaining, musical film really not my thing but definitely worth the watch.
  96. Mar 19, 2014
    Hairspray is a delightful revival of the cult classic. John Travolta is hilarious in his role as a women, and the movie prances along with respect to the original.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    If you look fast, you'll see Waters himself in a cameo (as a flasher; what else?), proof the new film is in touch with its dyed roots.
  2. Reviewed by: Albert Williams
    With its wisecracking screenplay, period-perfect pop score, and Shankman's splashy choreography, this may be the funniest, dancingest screen musical since "Singin' in the Rain."
    Delivers an even bigger sugar rush than the hit Broadway musical.