6.5

1. Jun 19, 2013
    presents an interesting premise, but is disappointingly messy in its delivery. The film simply tries to be too much at once. The first half has a huge focus on humour, and while somewhat entertaining, the jokes are cheap and crude. In the second half abruptly turns into a painfully lame melodrama. I felt the romance element between Charlize Theron and Will Smiths' characters was totally presents an interesting premise, but is disappointingly messy in its delivery. The film simply tries to be too much at once. The first half has a huge focus on humour, and while somewhat entertaining, the jokes are cheap and crude. In the second half abruptly turns into a painfully lame melodrama. I felt the romance element between Charlize Theron and Will Smiths' characters was totally unnecessary. Jason Bateman steals the show and is one of the few redeeming factors in this mess of a film. Let's hope that the upcoming sequel has a better idea of what it wants to be and gets the formula right this time. Expand
  2. May 22, 2011
    Some say that Will Smith makes anything watchable, and in most cases I'd agree. Not so with **** It's the inconsistency that gets me - it really doesn't know whether it wants to be a relatively dark origins story, or a comic take on superhero conventions, or a social satire. It tries to be all of these, and therefore fails to be any of them. It's not dark, funny or clever enough. WillSome say that Will Smith makes anything watchable, and in most cases I'd agree. Not so with **** It's the inconsistency that gets me - it really doesn't know whether it wants to be a relatively dark origins story, or a comic take on superhero conventions, or a social satire. It tries to be all of these, and therefore fails to be any of them. It's not dark, funny or clever enough. Will Smith's charisma and some nice effects can't hold up the car crash of a screenplay or make the "twist" in the last act even remotely surprising. It's just not very good. Expand
  3. WallE
    Jun 27, 2008
    No. Just no. HORRIBLE execution. Don't let them steal your money!
  4. MichaelA
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thank God i finally have a reason to punch Will Smith in the face, not to count the pointless story.
  5. MichaelE.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Seriously a wast of time and money seeing this Hollywood churn style of atypical and poor movie making. All hype and no style. This movie has set the African American community back fifty years with it's pathetic plot and characters.. Maybe BET can do something with it.
  6. ChuckB.
    Oct 8, 2008
    This movie blew harder than Will Smith did while trying to get the roll. The twist was sh*ttastic, and the plot was stupid. Smith played himself at a bachelor party, and Charlize Theron was just a lazy bystander who added at least some amount of talent. Jason Bateman was the only shinning part of this hell ride. Effing worst film of the year. Well, just above Disaster Movie.
  7. AngelaP.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I am a huge Will Smith fan and have seen each of his 4th of July Mega movies, but this Hancock is terrible. The story line was ridiculous and boring. I wanted to walk out and leave the other five people who were suffering thru this as well. Will's choice in appearing in Hancock seemed to be a "must" do movie even if it is bad. He has to do better to keep his loyal fans happy. Hey, we I am a huge Will Smith fan and have seen each of his 4th of July Mega movies, but this Hancock is terrible. The story line was ridiculous and boring. I wanted to walk out and leave the other five people who were suffering thru this as well. Will's choice in appearing in Hancock seemed to be a "must" do movie even if it is bad. He has to do better to keep his loyal fans happy. Hey, we stuck with him after that Wild Wild West disaster. Collapse
  8. Dave
    Jul 5, 2008
    This movie was a piece of .....literally. The story was horrible. Not even the good actors/actress made it any better.....just not a good movie.
  9. JustinB.
    Jul 7, 2008
    First 1/2 is pretty good, (otherwise this movie would get a 2). The twist has to rank as one of the most pointless and unnecessary in all of history. Second half is one of the sappiest, poorly written, focus group tested films in recent memory. Blech.
  10. ArtG
    Jul 9, 2008
    Should have been rated R we walked out after 15 minutes due to the excessively foul language.
  11. Sophie
    Aug 10, 2008
    This movie didnt know what it wanted to be it started as a comedy with a few decent jokes here and there, then it went all drama, then action. i couldnt keep up. in aword: awful.
  12. BartM.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Started out as an enjoyable action-comedy, then completely falls apart at the plot twist, becoming dismal and plodding. The jerky hand-held camera work grows old quickly, and is a gimmicky contrived annoyance, making some shots annoying to simply watch. One of the worst endings ever.
  13. DavidC.
    Jul 18, 2008
    A tedious movie that has some moments. Some of the foreshadowing was a bit raw since the characters should have picked up on such obvious ques.
  14. AndrewD.
    Jul 26, 2008
    I watched this film and the trailer had looked superb. I was looking forward to watching it and it was not what I expected. It was a very hard to understand storyline and very unrealistic. There were still some good parts that made the film a bit better.
  15. EvanR.
    Jul 3, 2008
    after "I Am Legend", I was all set for another Smith blockbuster, but this was a huge disappointment. it was so bad...they totally threw the plot out the window for no reason and the dialogue was so, so hokey. it's like they stopped filming the original movie and started on the sequel, ultimately finishing neither. there's more; I could go on and on, but why bother? just after "I Am Legend", I was all set for another Smith blockbuster, but this was a huge disappointment. it was so bad...they totally threw the plot out the window for no reason and the dialogue was so, so hokey. it's like they stopped filming the original movie and started on the sequel, ultimately finishing neither. there's more; I could go on and on, but why bother? just DON'T SEE IT, no matter how cool the previews make it look Expand
  16. Jeff
    Jul 4, 2008
    Charlize Theron looked gorgeous... but besides her, the movie was terrible.
  17. JohnD
    Jul 5, 2008
    For how much hype this movie had and from the great previews I was actually pretty excited to see this movie especially since I love Will Smith. To find out it was barely an average movie was disappointing. Sometimes you see previews and worry that all they did was just show you the total number of good scenes in a movie and with Hancock pretty much all of the interesting scenes For how much hype this movie had and from the great previews I was actually pretty excited to see this movie especially since I love Will Smith. To find out it was barely an average movie was disappointing. Sometimes you see previews and worry that all they did was just show you the total number of good scenes in a movie and with Hancock pretty much all of the interesting scenes 'were' shown in the preview. Not a good summer movie. A good rent. Maybe. Expand
  18. NigeM.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Yet another dire film from Will Smith. Relies totally on CGI for the little bit of entertainment it provides. Avoid if you have an IQ above 30.
  19. DavidR.
    Jul 7, 2008
    An unsatisfying action flick that lacks the intensity and humor of other "super hero" films that have been released this year. Will Smith does the best he can with this film's poor script, but even with his amazing starpower he can't save this film from mediocrity. This film just doesn't work on any level which is a big disappointment. Throughout this film I kept telling An unsatisfying action flick that lacks the intensity and humor of other "super hero" films that have been released this year. Will Smith does the best he can with this film's poor script, but even with his amazing starpower he can't save this film from mediocrity. This film just doesn't work on any level which is a big disappointment. Throughout this film I kept telling myself, "Okay, this is when it's going to start to be good...". Please do yourself a favor and save yourself some gas money, and wait until you can rent this film: it's just not worth the price of admittance. Expand
  20. AdamV.
    Jul 8, 2008
    the movie was alright it started off good but why did they add in the chick as a super hero? and if she is more powerful then will why is she not helping with crime? also when she is dieing why is will hurting himself and she come back to life I didn't get that at all it gave a few laughs i don't think it was good.
  21. DavidM.
    Jul 9, 2008
    I really, Really, Really wanted to like this movie, but for the first time EVER, i was bored at the cinema and i wanted to leave. Not to say to you not see the movie... just not in cinema!!! just rent the DVD.
  22. NikiM.
    Jul 21, 2008
    This is by far one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen in my ife. Maybe rent the movie for the 1st 15mins or so but pls don't waste your money on this movie... By far one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my life!!!
  23. AlexS.n
    Jul 21, 2008
    I've voted 2 just in my respect for Will Smith and 1 for the first 35-40 minutes of action comedy, thats just fun summer movie. Cannot believe the second part! Awful, just awful. Some soap-opera acting and... well... a virtual mess throughout. Just as Will started to hit it big...
  24. JessE.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Truly Disappointing film. Everything misfires. The only thing thing good in the film is Jason Bateman's performance otherwise chalk this up as a misfire that will probably do $200m plus. 4 outof 10.
  25. APerson
    Jul 22, 2008
    This is the worst movie I've seen all year. The idea was pure gold, a great satire of the superhero genre and a great satire of celebrities in general (the bit where he does a press conference looks like a professional athlete doing a press conference after getting in trouble). But after Hancock reforms, the film justs turns to garbage. It's so sappy, sentimental and This is the worst movie I've seen all year. The idea was pure gold, a great satire of the superhero genre and a great satire of celebrities in general (the bit where he does a press conference looks like a professional athlete doing a press conference after getting in trouble). But after Hancock reforms, the film justs turns to garbage. It's so sappy, sentimental and melodramatic, it's like a made-for-TV chick flick. And at the end when the BIG SAD MUSIC (tm) comes on and just gets louder and louder and louder, like it's trying to force us into thinking that jumping away from a hospital is the most superheroic act ever... come on! As a rough guide, every scene with Charlize Theron in it is absolutely pathetic- not that there's anything wrong with her, just that her character and subplot ruins the whole film. They should have made the whole film about Hancock's attempt to reform and become a better superhero- that premise is a comedy gold mine and there's only, like, two jokes about it! Expand
  26. BlehS.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Overall pretty mediocre. only the first half was good
  27. LauraR
    Jul 5, 2008
    The movie was original in seeing an action hero who rejected his abilities until they threw in a Super Woman version of Hancock and took it down a dangerous sci-fi road.
  28. MichaelD.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Weak script. Acting was good and it had a few funny moments. The special effects were nothing new or groundbreaking. Maybe worth a rental or cable view but not a full price visit to the theater.
  29. JamesP.
    Jul 9, 2008
    It starts out well with a promising character that will crush the stereotypical superhero, but towards the end the plot seems half-baked and cheesy. Basically there is a character twist that is completely unnecessary and the movie goes downhill from there. It literally is like watching a player miss a free throw because you see the flaw and feel disappointed from there on.
  30. BrianH.
    Aug 17, 2008
    This movie was good up until a point. The secret "twist" everyone is talking about singly ruined the film. After the twist the plot became convoluted and messy. You should never get the feeling while watching a movie that the people who made the film just started to make things up half-way through. This could have been a far better movie, but wasn't.
  31. GerrickC.
    Nov 25, 2008
    A pointless plot coupled with a pointless theme makes this movie-- everyone say it at once, "Pointless."
  32. MichaelG.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Sucks! Why did they bother actually releasing this movie. Doesn't someone watch the final cut before sending it to theaters? Foolish story, idiotic "plot twist" and horrible acting.
  33. Fantasy
    Jul 16, 2008
    I love Will Smith in just about anything he does. But this movie is the pits and I mean the pits. It is idiotic and the second half is even worse than the first. This is a TURKEY anyway you slice it. Avoid.
  34. FunesM.
    Dec 26, 2008
    As moving and funny as Wim Wenders's Wings of Desire (1987). I haven't seen Nora Ephron's Michael (1996). But what a triple-bill!
  35. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a strange movie, as the first half is easily a brilliantly funny superhero movie, but the second half ruins that with some tacked on plot twist. So, i'll begin by reviewing the film in two halves. First Half: John **** (Will Smith) is an alcoholic superhero who is hated by the public but doesnt give a damn. Then he saves Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) who decides to try and help **** change his image and become a better superhero. Smith plays this role very well, perfectly portraying the anti-hero, a superhero who trys and does good but ends up making things worse, like tossing a whale back in the water only to crush some boats. This character is hilariously brilliant because **** does things that a normal Superhero wouldn't, shoving an inmates head up another inmates ass and throwing a kid high in the air for calling him an **** Its these kind of things that make **** a fresh air from the clean cut superheroes. To make the public realise how much **** is needed, he gets put in prison, which is quite really ****s choice to be there, as he could fly himself out of there at anytime he chooses. With this hero, we know that he will end up rehabilitated and a better superhero. The best parts of the film is when ****s himself is far from clean cut and the unrehabilitated mess that we expected. When he's rehabilitated, he's still quite a cool character, but it feels like a little something has been lost. Second Half: Ray's wife, Mary (Charlize Theron), turns out to also possess similar powers to ****, then turning out to be ****s wife from before, as they have lived together for about 3000 years. This plot twist seems to come out of nowhere, just like the writers had drawn up the first half and then gone "we still have to fill the rest of the film", come up with a random plot twist and then taken the film from there. Then there's some guff about two "immortals" (as **** and Mary are known) being too close together, their powers negate each other? What? So how did they survive 3000 years together if they could barely survive 92 minutes together? Also, how did **** lose his memory? Attacked in an alley. Also, a random villian that **** foiled before comes back for REVENGE! **** cant beat him, so Jason Bateman saves the day! **** also has to jump away in order for him and Mary to get their powers back, and reloactes to New York. All in all, this film was fine for the first half, then devolved into a convulted mess, meshing random ideas to try and make the film "cooler". The first half could've been a movie of its own. It could've been made longer, more of **** drunk and have hints to Mary and ****s past and save the mythoology for the sequel. Also, plot hole: If the kid is Marys, what does it mean, an immortal having a son? Is the son gonna get powers, will he get immortality and stay a kid for at least a while? Untouched upon. The first half I give 60% and the second half I give 20%, so all together, I give the film 40% Expand
  36. Aug 27, 2011
    This film is a misfire. It begins with a great spin on the concept of a superhero, and ends with a half-baked idea for a lame sequel, that they idiotically decided to patch into a killer film.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    The visual effects are stellar, but the true star is Smith, who again demonstrates acting chops as well as effortless charisma in a vehicle that's only occasionally worthy of his superhuman skills.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The effects are snazzy, even if they pass by quite quickly, and there's enough going on to keep audiences watching, if not entirely happy. Smith, Theron and Bateman capably handle the main roles, but such is the skimpiness of the scenario that no further characters make any impact.
    Hancock suggests new visual directions and emotional tonalities for pop. It's by far the most enjoyable big movie of the summer.