Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: February 28, 1997
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 53 Ratings
Watch Now
Justinavery7074Apr 7, 2011
**** is this movie great. There are only a few number of filmakers that have a flawless track record. And PT Anderson is definitely one of those. Because this film has some great characters. ANd it has everything that Ocean's Eleven should've had.
SpangleFeb 7, 2014
Really well done. Amazing to think that this was Paul Thomas Anderson's first effort, because he handles everything like a grisled vet in this. The film was slow, but built up nicely and the characters were all marvelously crafted. MainReally well done. Amazing to think that this was Paul Thomas Anderson's first effort, because he handles everything like a grisled vet in this. The film was slow, but built up nicely and the characters were all marvelously crafted. Main complaint were that while it was really well done, it never really made that "jump". I think this one could have been even better, but it seemed content being what it was and was relatively safe all around. In addition, I just never really bought into John C. Reilly's performance. All of the other performances were great, but his stood out to me as something that just did not quite fit with the rest of the film. Expand
JLuis_001Oct 16, 2017
It was a long time ago when I watched this film and without a doubt still a different film in PT Anderson's career because it does not feel like the rest of his filmography and yet it was a solid movie in which he got great performances fromIt was a long time ago when I watched this film and without a doubt still a different film in PT Anderson's career because it does not feel like the rest of his filmography and yet it was a solid movie in which he got great performances from its cast in spite of the small deficiencies of the script.
It was a great debut and certainly a must stop for any fan of his work.