Head in the Clouds

8.5

1. MehdyM.
    Jul 6, 2006
    an effective story, well designed scenes, and good performance. I think there must be some kind of marketing problem with this film, becuase it's not as famous as it deserves.
  2. StephenM.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Theron's character is a terrific anti-hero who pursues the pleasure principle throughout life with single-minded determination--arguably an uncondemnable thing. Unfortunately for her, that quest for pleasure has her traipsing around war-torn France with her "head in the clouds," largely oblivious to the life-threatening environment in which she resides while on her quest for erotic Theron's character is a terrific anti-hero who pursues the pleasure principle throughout life with single-minded determination--arguably an uncondemnable thing. Unfortunately for her, that quest for pleasure has her traipsing around war-torn France with her "head in the clouds," largely oblivious to the life-threatening environment in which she resides while on her quest for erotic pleasure. All anti-heros must eventually depart the incompatible society in which they live and they must do so either by dying or otherwise escaping that society. In this case, France's post-war society is vengeful, misguided, judgmental, and unforgiving. Her death is a great tragedy. Quilt by association has always been difficult, if not impossible, for society justify and her case is no exception. Arguably, she does not deserve to suffer her fate. The story could have been written to avoid tragedy and have a happy ending if she had been wise enough to flee France for America, where free spirits can grow and flourish, but she didn't because her head was in the clouds and that flaw didn't serve her best interests. The film's critics never mention any of this and that leaves me wondering if they truly understood (let alone appreciate) her character and the story of a great, arguably blameless, anti-hero. Expand
  3. EkinO.
    Jul 20, 2005
    I thought it was a very good movie with succesful acting performances. it is unique and very enjoyable.
  4. hughie
    Sep 17, 2004
    Great looking, effective romantic drama.
  5. JennaA
    Feb 1, 2005
    I loved this movie. While you first watch it, it may seem strange and somewhat different, but really turns around toward the end. It started out really slow and I expected it to be pretty boring, but the end of the movie really pulled me into it. Head in the Clouds is a heartwrenching love story, and I was moved by the ending. I would recommend it.
  6. JeanH.
    Apr 16, 2005
    The critics dont do this movie justice I thought Theron was very impressive and the rest of the cast were good too Really worth seeing.
  7. BubbaJ.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Epic saga of love and war and the culminating in the occupation and liberation of Paris.
  8. ScottpatrickS.
    Sep 16, 2004
    Great Music and Photography. Wish it had a bigger budget.
  9. JadeB.
    Jan 25, 2005
    Slow at the beginning until Penelope Cruz shows up. She is electric in all her scenes, and easily outshines the two main leads. Still, a very enjoyable drama.
  10. MarkD
    Jan 29, 2005
    I enjoyed this movie.......critics are wrong....great story..wished it had a larger budget.....worth seeing.
  11. EricS.
    Aug 21, 2006
    Profoundly moving and disturbing movie. Theron superb as femme fatale. Excellent acting all around. Drama intense.

1. Unconvincing melodrama.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    A paint-by-numbers old-fashioned romantic epic, Head in the Clouds is neither romantic nor epic, but it does succeed at old-fashioned.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    A lively, plush but unconvincing potboiler cobbled from familiar pieces of better films (and TV miniseries).