8.7

1. TeeK
    Jan 21, 2008
    Best heist movie I have seen, though the pleasure is hidden in the details and the many twists and turns the plot takes. Heist rewards really only those viewers who pay attention, as if Mamet made a nice movie for the casual watcher and an excellent one for the detail-obsessed. Point in case (attention -here comes a spoiler): when the gold bars get molten into boat railings, the railings Best heist movie I have seen, though the pleasure is hidden in the details and the many twists and turns the plot takes. Heist rewards really only those viewers who pay attention, as if Mamet made a nice movie for the casual watcher and an excellent one for the detail-obsessed. Point in case (attention -here comes a spoiler): when the gold bars get molten into boat railings, the railings are solid, not hollow. At the end, when Hackman lets his wife and her lover steal the gold from him, they entices them to take the wrong ones - hollow tubes. This detail is typical for the whole movie. Overlooking such finesse lets a viewer underestimate and underrate Heist grossly. Expand
  2. SethB.
    Jun 9, 2002
    It was a bit long, and in love with it's own dialouge. Other than that I thought it was fine. The other reviews here are so poor because they like clean cool criminals and bank robbers who get away scott free and whom for everything works out. I hesitate to say this, but if you know anything about real heists you know this is how it generally goes down.
  3. YoonMinC.
    Sep 26, 2003
    Solid acting and directing but tiresome script of conjobs and counterjobs which Mamet has done much better in the past, namely in the astounding House of Games. This movie is an empty exercise, everyone going thru the motions. Soon unpredictablity becomes predictable and like the story of "never cry wolf', we begin to doubt everything and not care when we finally see who comes on top.
  4. ShaunJ.
    Nov 11, 2001
    This was a great film, I enjoyed it all the way through. The characters are the reason to watch, although the plot is good and the dialogue is cool too.

1. Even a mediocre David Mamet movie is still a David Mamet movie. That means there are lines to savor, partly because the lines are so good, partly because they are so Mamet.
    Solidly entertaining and surprisingly free of the Mamet-isms that can suck the life right out of the most tightly crafted story.
  3. Mamet loves two things: scams and dialogue. This movie is rich with both.