7.4

1. JimP.
    Aug 30, 2005
    Utter pap! The acting was so wooden it was unbelievable!
  2. May 28, 2012
    I tagged along with two friends who wanted to see this. I apologized for laughing. Then they too started laughing. Then we walked out. The ticket guy asked how the movie was and i farted.
  3. EddieK.
    Apr 3, 2004
    I'm probably not the best critic out there, but from my honest opinion, this is the worst movie of the year. Action was mediocre at best and cinematics was okay. Nothing great, nothing special. Hope you don't waste your money and time like I did.
  4. TargillF.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Despite the high marks, Hellboy is full of plotholes from the first frame to the last. The only performance that makes this film watchable is that of Ron Perlman, who quite possibly is the first genre actor who might deserve some acting accolades for playing tortured men under makeup.
  5. StasZ.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I give it a 1 because this movie is still better than Daredevil. Nevertheless, everything in this movie makes it a painful waste of time. Silly jokes, bad directing, bad screenplay, horrible dialogues, you name it. A complete disaster in today's movie history.
  6. Roy
    May 2, 2004
    There were so many wrong things in this movie. First of all, the plot didn't move at all from the first ten minutes to the last scene. All the characters were paper thin. Some of them made appearance for no more than 10 minutes or suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. The first monster to be fought persistantly survived throughout the movie without making it more There were so many wrong things in this movie. First of all, the plot didn't move at all from the first ten minutes to the last scene. All the characters were paper thin. Some of them made appearance for no more than 10 minutes or suddenly disappeared never to be heard of again. The first monster to be fought persistantly survived throughout the movie without making it more interesting, and then the last monster, a "god" was killed in 3 minutes. That couldn't convince me of a scary apocalypse. Oh yes, the apocalypse. I was surprised to find out the newspaper was still running when the world was ruined to publish a headline saying that the world is ruined. The bad guys had no motive other than to destroy the world (for no good reason). I could go on forever. Main point is, this movie is a hellish maze of plotholes and bad scripting. If I was the director I wouldn't even show this movie to my parents. Expand
  7. GerronK
    Oct 3, 2004
    This film, while has some redeeming factors (like its cool use of makeup) is a horrendous movie that is shockingly horrible. It suffers from any kind of logic and is so horrible, I can't believe I'm awarding it 3/10!
  8. JustMe
    Apr 20, 2004
    Wow ... ! This movie is far worse than Daredevil. I need to start writing screenplays if this is all it takes to be successful. Where to begin.. ? Well the start reminded me of say Indiana Jones when they opened the Holy Grail and the monsters looked like Predator's dog. The dialogue was boring, the characters were uninteresting and the story was so lame I lost interest. I knew there Wow ... ! This movie is far worse than Daredevil. I need to start writing screenplays if this is all it takes to be successful. Where to begin.. ? Well the start reminded me of say Indiana Jones when they opened the Holy Grail and the monsters looked like Predator's dog. The dialogue was boring, the characters were uninteresting and the story was so lame I lost interest. I knew there was trouble when they took the picture at the start and it looked like Roger Rabbit special effects. What a stupid super-hero or whatever... Men in Black ripoff organization including the ending where he ends up inside the beast only to blow it up. Wolverine cigar smoking clone with horns... Wow this sucked. Americans really are lowering their standards these days... and some have compared it to Peter Jackson's work or the original Matrix...??????? wtf ???!!!??? Please think for yourself rather than jump on this crap bandwagon. Expand
  9. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    I may not be that bad but I feel I have to bring this average down because it is not representative of what the movie was which is ultimately crap. It is the kind of movie that makes you feel numb at the end and tends to piss you off as you think about it more and more. Ron Pearlman was alright as Hellboy, but whoever wrote the movie didn't want to include any originality, humanity, I may not be that bad but I feel I have to bring this average down because it is not representative of what the movie was which is ultimately crap. It is the kind of movie that makes you feel numb at the end and tends to piss you off as you think about it more and more. Ron Pearlman was alright as Hellboy, but whoever wrote the movie didn't want to include any originality, humanity, or anything else that would convince us this movie wasn't just written with some computer movie script software. The story was okay, conversation is the low point with some memorable moments such as the conversation between Hellboy and some random kid on the roof, gee if that is the only conversational piece that I can think of, it must be pretty bad huh. Everything else was recycled, the plot, same story new guy, the dialogue, and the actual character didn't even have any power or anything that would catch our attention. Overall a bore and not worth the time, I normally wouldn't tell anybody this, but even Daredevil was a better movie, that gives an idea of how much I didn't enjoy this film. Go see Bryan Singer's interpretation of the X-Men or go catch Spider-Man 2 which looks to be a hell of a lot more promising than this formulaic crapfest. Expand
  10. Zybard
    Jul 30, 2004
    Boring. Selma Blair's character was like an annoying bug bite that, when combined w/ Hellboy's pathetic unconditional and unwarrented love for her, there was little time left for an actual plot.
  11. JimT.
    Apr 24, 2004
    I don't know what the excitement was about. A cookie-cutter comic book adaptation with a supposedly humorous/emotional element spliced in. A big disappointment. The monsters and special effects would be impressive if we hadn't seen them 100 times already.
  12. HellboySucks
    Apr 27, 2004
    I gave this movie a 1 instead of 0 because I was supposed to be at work and we are doing inventory. Still I think work may have been more fun than this movie. There is a reason most have never heard of the Dark Horse series, Hellboy the comic book. It sucks. Just because it was a comic doesn't mean it should be a movie. There is nothing compelling here and the characters are sooo I gave this movie a 1 instead of 0 because I was supposed to be at work and we are doing inventory. Still I think work may have been more fun than this movie. There is a reason most have never heard of the Dark Horse series, Hellboy the comic book. It sucks. Just because it was a comic doesn't mean it should be a movie. There is nothing compelling here and the characters are sooo dull. Doesn't anyone see the Men in Black similiarities..? The organization, the ending of the movie is exactly what Tommy Lee Jones did with the giant cockroach ! hello ? I saw one guy talked about Indiana Jones comparing it to the start of Hellboy. Another total ripoff. You could go on and on but I won't cuz this movie already wasted enough of my time. Expand
  13. PeteA.
    Apr 9, 2004
    I was disappointed after the exciting opening of the movie how it became such a standard super hero movie. Hellboy is not a very interesting character, and the story is the same lame hero story that could have been taken from Spiderman, or Superman. The effects are good, but most of the story is pretty lame. While I would not rate it a 1, I would say that the movie goes downhill after the I was disappointed after the exciting opening of the movie how it became such a standard super hero movie. Hellboy is not a very interesting character, and the story is the same lame hero story that could have been taken from Spiderman, or Superman. The effects are good, but most of the story is pretty lame. While I would not rate it a 1, I would say that the movie goes downhill after the first 30 minutes to a standard boring end. Expand
  14. KelR.
    May 15, 2004
    What in the world was happening in this movie? It was just a jumbled mess of confusion. Plus the movie was well beyond unrealistic, not to mention just about satanic. Don't watch this garbage, not even at the dollar movie.
  15. AndrewS.
    Aug 11, 2004
    This movie was dissapointing to say the least. The story was weak and the characters were uninteresting.
  16. Simba
    Sep 25, 2004
    Shockingly bad.
  17. fabio
    Nov 29, 2004
    You can't make a Hollywood movie without a love story (it's a way to bring girls in theaters?) - a (dark) horror/paranormal comic book turned into a (bright) fantastic movie...that's not good.
  18. Jan 14, 2015
    Watched it recently on BD. Its not a very good movie. Story is pretty lame. The entire movie doesn't look very good.. Acting was sort of ok I guess. Not much action to speak off.

1. Standard-issue superhero movie -- except that writer-director Guillermo del Toro, taking his cue from "Hellboy" comic book creator Mike Mignola, brings a wicked sense of humor to this particular monster mash.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Has more than enough across-the-board appeal to attract mainstream auds unfamiliar with source material.
  3. Directed by Guillermo del Toro with a colorfully kinetic visual imagination that seldom lets up.