Phase 4 Films | Release Date: May 11, 2012
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 25 Ratings
WATCH NOW
pinattarJun 2, 2012
such a bad movie. what is it a comedy, a travel movie, a dark comedy, a roamnce, a drama, a coming or age, it just jumps from one to the other. the dialogue it just awful and so boring. there is no plot at all, it just kind of drags along. isuch a bad movie. what is it a comedy, a travel movie, a dark comedy, a roamnce, a drama, a coming or age, it just jumps from one to the other. the dialogue it just awful and so boring. there is no plot at all, it just kind of drags along. i still don't know what the movie is about. most the performances all seemed phoned it, although i do have to give a little credit to Chloë Grace because i did feel like she was trying , but unfortunately she wasn't. also her character was really poorly written, she kept going back and forth from adult to child. and it was a waste of Alec Baldwin's talent. just a really bad movie. do not see it. Expand
Andys_ReviewsJul 6, 2013
I first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, whatI first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it’s a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this is a case in point. It probably works very well as a book, but it really didn’t work on the screen in this form. I like the actors fine but I found little to like in the characters. Our main focus, Luli, has very few redeeming features; she was a victim of circumstance all the way through and I found it quite frustrating to watch I’m afraid. Sadly not one I can recommend.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 4.9/10
Bruce722Aug 5, 2013
Hick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectlyHick feels at times like a pointless movie that has an Indie vibe to it but the performances by Chloe Grace Moretz, Blake Lively, and Eddie Redmayne keep you engaged. Moretz is young but she's a star in waiting. She manages to perfectly capture the essence of a teenager and the conflicting emotions you're bombarded with when you feel lost and alone in life. The plot drags but again, the hopelessness of Moretz's situation and how the characters around her are affected and affect the course of actions that play out are enough. Collapse
OmarGarciaSep 18, 2012
I'm not going to lie I was pretty entertained watching the whole thing, but really confused where they were trying to go with this, but still entertaining to watch.
TsukasaUjiieOct 6, 2012
Good movie. The, sometimes disturbing, interactions between characters were fascinating and the narative was very well paced. I dont understand why its been panned so badly by critics.
python2000May 25, 2013
This certainly isn't a good film for the star Chloe Grace Moretz to continue her career with. Not long after the visually stunning Hugo. But it's really not too bad when you come to think of other movies which came out in the same year and genre.
rjfoxtrotMar 28, 2013
I don't understand why people dislike this movie. It was pretty good. The story was comical and cool. The acting was good. It's not my favorite movie but it's definitely a movie worth seeing.
jacobmmmcccSep 30, 2013
Chloe was awesome in this film. I cant believe that the critics don't like this movie. there is nothing wrong with it the storyline is good, the acting is great, and it is fun to watch. this movie is awesome.
adrianneschausJun 27, 2014
I don't understand why the movie has so many bad critics as I found the movie very interesting and didn't want it to end. I would have watched it again for sure. I think it was a nice story and sometimes took one by surprise.
WonderfulworldJul 11, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It seems to me that most of the negative reviews on this movie are based on the opinion that you can't really tie it down to one genre (and from the view point of a writer I understand that frustration), however I personally didn't find it crucial to whether or not I enjoyed the film as a whole. From the cinematography to the complexities of each character, to the witty dialogue, I found it to be very entertaining overall. I also enjoyed how it managed to be far fetched in a way that felt almost whimsical, but also sadly realistic (Luli's character wrestling with whether Eddie was a handsome, yet controlling cowboy or a obsessive and violent stalker felt particularly familiar). I think this movie did a good job of capturing the vulnerability of being a young girl from a broken home, struggling to decide what she wants she wants in life, how to get it, and who to trust. I wouldn't call it a perfect movie, but the acting was really stellar in my opinion, and I did enjoy it. Expand
CantandresJul 31, 2015
Really, really bad movie.This is purportedly the reality of the author's life. I don't believe it for a minute.
It was just disturbing and vulger. Chloe Grace Moretz performance wafted between bad, and oddly enough, astoundingly good. Her performance during the 'revenge' scene was absolutely amazing. But there were times when her overall performance was so bad it was uncomfortable to watch.