6.3

1. May 1, 2014
    In my not so humble opinion, Cache is the greatest mystery/thriller film ever made, and the finest of the 21st Century along with There Will Be Blood.
  2. Jan 22, 2013
    A perplexing and unsettling masterpiece where solving the mystery is not necessary, but can be, to acknowledge it's complexity and genius. So many things are "hidden" here-the identity of the videographer, his or her motives, and perhaps most disconcertingly, Georges' part in psychological thriller. As soon as this quietly terrifying film starts, the unease slowly begins to fester.A perplexing and unsettling masterpiece where solving the mystery is not necessary, but can be, to acknowledge it's complexity and genius. So many things are "hidden" here-the identity of the videographer, his or her motives, and perhaps most disconcertingly, Georges' part in psychological thriller. As soon as this quietly terrifying film starts, the unease slowly begins to fester.
    Georges (Daniel Auteuil), who hosts a TV literary review, receives packages containing videos of himself with his family shot secretly from his street, and alarming drawings whose meaning is obscure. He has no idea who may be sending them. Gradually, the footage on the tapes becomes more personal, suggesting that the sender has known Georges for some time. Georges feels a sense of menace hanging over him and his family but, as no direct threat has been made. As more tapes arrive containing images that are disturbingly intimate and increasingly personal, Georges launches in to an investigation of his own as to who is behind this. As he does so, secrets from his past are revealed, he continues to conceal this to his family as the walls of security he and Anne (Juliette Binoche) have built around themselves begin to crumble. Haneke's shot selection plays with us. He is meticulous about the way in which the videotapes are photographed, and he replicates their style repeatedly throughout the movie (long-range, unbroken shots made by a camera that is stationary). There are sequences where the audience is watching ordinary daily events, only to discover it's continuously shot footage of surveillance tapes. "Caché" interrogates the nature of reality by obliterating the borders between the movie and the videos within the movie. Michael Haneke doesn't play by traditional thriller rules, leaving audiences to work out whodunnit from a clue discreetly buried in the final shot. Even if you don't spot it, you'll come away satisfied. Haneke refuses to decode the scene's meaning: "About half the viewers see something and the other half don't, and it works both ways." He adds, invoking his protagonist's own mental journey, "We always fill the screen with our own experiences. Ultimately, what we see comes from inside us."
  3. Nov 17, 2010
    Beautiful film. Long, silent shots set a perfect tone and built the tension for the more shocking and passionate scenes. Best of 2005 and one of the best of the decade.
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    Michael Haneke's "Cache" is absolutely flooring - in the long span of cinematic "mystery," it has been since the days of Hitchcock that a film has reveled so much in the very aura that its own genre demands.
  5. SimonT.
    Jun 18, 2009
    First class motion. It glides, fantastic space. Thought the direction was wonderful, fully enjoyed this little gem of a flick.
  6. ManiM.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Absolutely thought provoking. the issues that this film brought up are essentially what you will end up thinking about for days and the question of who was behind the tapes will become irrelevant.
  7. Ridley666
    Oct 10, 2007
    I find it interesting that Michael Haneke's "Cache (Hidden)" won the Best Director award for Haneke at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival and that it received an 83/100 on Metacritic, putting it in the category of "UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM" and that it received an 88% out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes with only 15 out of 121 reviews rating it "rotten." Surely the awards and the opinions of the I find it interesting that Michael Haneke's "Cache (Hidden)" won the Best Director award for Haneke at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival and that it received an 83/100 on Metacritic, putting it in the category of "UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM" and that it received an 88% out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes with only 15 out of 121 reviews rating it "rotten." Surely the awards and the opinions of the handpicked jury members of the Cannes Film Festival and all the opinions of the countless credible and legitimate scholars of film crumble in the face of Dustin C's and fjuan n's and Maz D's towering infallible authority. These three erudite individuals clearly have something to teach all those countless lowly credible and legitimate scholars of film. In fact, Dustin C, fjuan n, and Maz D should each teach a course titled "How to Understand and Decipher Complex and Sophisticated Meditations on Bourgeois Discontent and Alienation, Racial and Class Privilege, and the Importance of Boundary Transgression Narratives" at Harvard. They clearly know so much about these subjects. Or maybe they should just keep their infantile mouth shut. Expand
  8. StanS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    My take is that Majiid's son set up the surveillance probably without his father's knowledge. The long shot towards the end of young Majiid being forcibly taken from the Laurent home iis extremely sad.
  9. AvaB.
    Aug 20, 2007
    That Cache plods along for nearly three hours reflects the dread that an excellent film with an existentialist theme requires. In his complex role as Georges, Daniel Auteuil -- in his magnificently understated manner -- becomes a postmodern Raskolnikov. (Without giving away the surprising ending scenes, all I will say is: Those reviewers who really believe that Georges did not accept That Cache plods along for nearly three hours reflects the dread that an excellent film with an existentialist theme requires. In his complex role as Georges, Daniel Auteuil -- in his magnificently understated manner -- becomes a postmodern Raskolnikov. (Without giving away the surprising ending scenes, all I will say is: Those reviewers who really believe that Georges did not accept personal responsibility were not paying attention to one of those ending scenes.) Like Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, there's a political subtext to Cache. Unlike Dostoyevsky's classic, Cache is a morality tale that unfolds to bone-tingling effect before an omnipresent, metaphysical hidden camera. Expand
  10. EdP
    Jul 24, 2007
    I loved this movie. It keeps you thinking. You're on your toes the whole film.
  11. JohnO.
    Apr 15, 2007
    It toys with you for hours, perhaps days after its conclusion. Fantastic stuff!!
  12. BernardR.
    Feb 18, 2007
    People who rated this movie lower than 5 are just too dumb to watch such superior movie. I like the comment from someone here about Jeniffer Aniston. Those people who didn't get this movie might rate Aniston's movies as EXCELLENT.
  13. KevinS
    Oct 18, 2006
    Best movie of the year (I know that is not saying much this year). Terrifying, creepy, torturous to watch but absolutely brilliant and thought provoking.
  14. TedB.
    Sep 25, 2006
    Fascinating; keeps one on the edge of their seat with a substantial aftertaste; thought provoking.
  15. JoeAverage
    Sep 22, 2006
    I have to be one of those that really like this film (funny, how polarizing it is, isn't it?) I admit to only possessing a hodge-podge understanding of French colonialism of Algeria and the immigrant Algerian-French community, but a well crafted take on universal themes of 'responsibility', 'guilty', 'heredity' and other Big Ideas. Wonderfully portrayed. I have to be one of those that really like this film (funny, how polarizing it is, isn't it?) I admit to only possessing a hodge-podge understanding of French colonialism of Algeria and the immigrant Algerian-French community, but a well crafted take on universal themes of 'responsibility', 'guilty', 'heredity' and other Big Ideas. Wonderfully portrayed. Had I known and seen it in the theatre, I would have missed the rich abundance of visual cues (not to mention the ending!). Hurrah for DVDs. Expand
  16. NickM.
    Aug 2, 2006
    Mick LaSalle has it all wrong. Cache is the furthest movie from a fraud that I have seen in several years. The movie has not been affected by either politics or poltics: simply, this movie is a masterpiece.
  17. hiddenisgreat
    Jul 29, 2006
    the washington post got it bang on. the movie ends perfectly, the final scene and it's 'revelation' (in the bottom left) are designed to provide potential answers and further questions. this works excellently as a film studying the domestic situation of the family being subjected to torment. it works best however as an allegory. brilliantly in fact. [***SPOILERS***] the the washington post got it bang on. the movie ends perfectly, the final scene and it's 'revelation' (in the bottom left) are designed to provide potential answers and further questions. this works excellently as a film studying the domestic situation of the family being subjected to torment. it works best however as an allegory. brilliantly in fact. [***SPOILERS***] the movie ends after the real answer has been given - laurent's crime. by ending here haneke suggests that he wants france to confront it's past regarding algeria and admit and come to terms with it. if the movie had continued to reveal what you expect haneke to reveal it's intent would have been lost within standard mystery fare. the acting is also brilliant, and it is creepy and menacing at times. admittedly, to fully understand and appreciate the film i had to do a little research, but this doesn't detract from it at all. if i understood the france/algeria history prior to viewing the movie, i think i would have grasped it. if possible, read about this first before viewing. this is one of very few movies that i have been thinking about a lot since i watched it, this is definately a good thing. Expand
  18. JohnW.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Complex, fascinating film--worth repeated viewings.
  19. MarkB.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Top notch. Not hollywood, which seems to offend people on this sight but you americans don't live in the real world which gives credit to those of you who can look outside with an open mind.
  20. JasonL.
    Jul 5, 2006
    This film restored my faith in intelligent and artistic movie-making. For those of you complaining that it was "boring" or "had no ending," perhaps something starring Jennifer Aniston would be more your speed.
  21. paulh.
    May 9, 2006
    Ranks alongside the most important movies of this century so far by a director who is pushing his theories & techniques like a knife straight into the gut of those who fear depth liking all to be surface & superficial.Will be remembered for many years to come-an examination of European culture/history & sensibilities as it stands today:throws up more questions as it answers-as it was Ranks alongside the most important movies of this century so far by a director who is pushing his theories & techniques like a knife straight into the gut of those who fear depth liking all to be surface & superficial.Will be remembered for many years to come-an examination of European culture/history & sensibilities as it stands today:throws up more questions as it answers-as it was intended to do and bursts the bubbles of those who think theyre clever.look at this movie with both eyes open.The perforances are up there with the best i've ever seen as well-you basically forget they are 'acting'. Especially for those who take cinema seriously. Expand
  22. MikeD.
    Mar 18, 2006
    my wife and I went to see this film, and while we enjoyed it, felt left hanging at the end . . . way too ambiguous and disappointing.[***SPOILERS***] then we got home and thought about the significance of the two sons meeting in the final scene . . . and bang, we got it. Brilliant! A truly spectacular film that makes you use your brain!
  23. DaveS.
    Mar 10, 2006
    This movie plays directly on the emotions, and will stick with you long after you leave the theatre. American movies, even the good ones, generally feel the need to resolve everything. With Cache the pleasure is in the mystery -- those who appreciate it will leave the theatre looking over their shoulders.
  24. LaurenceM.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Maybe it's only surprising to me because I don't read many film reviews, but I'm disappointed by how much the professional critics seem to have missed in this film. One of the themes of this film is that the meaning of events or of the characters' lives is often "hidden" in plain sight, played out in the margins of what otherwise seem like long, boring, straight shots. Maybe it's only surprising to me because I don't read many film reviews, but I'm disappointed by how much the professional critics seem to have missed in this film. One of the themes of this film is that the meaning of events or of the characters' lives is often "hidden" in plain sight, played out in the margins of what otherwise seem like long, boring, straight shots. This film, with its restrained direction and unresolved mysteries, is a great antidote to hollywood movies. Expand
  25. Drew
    Feb 24, 2006
    The interesting thing to me about the "user" reviews for this movie is how polarized they are, and how reminiscent that is of the current political climate in America. It can't be coincidence. I know that people often call movies "critical darlings" and say that they aren't amde with "normal people" in mind, but I feel this conflict is more about people having opposing mindsets, The interesting thing to me about the "user" reviews for this movie is how polarized they are, and how reminiscent that is of the current political climate in America. It can't be coincidence. I know that people often call movies "critical darlings" and say that they aren't amde with "normal people" in mind, but I feel this conflict is more about people having opposing mindsets, and that a certain mindset will mostly enjoy this movie and be patient with it, and another mostly will not. Anyway, I am in the camp that enjoyed it...its vagueness, its deliberate pacing, its allegory, its lack of sympathetic characters. I felt like someone had put itching powder on me for two hours watching it, and that is an accomplishment in itself. Maybe you have to suspend disbelief a bit to enjoy the movie, but what the hell...is that so bad? Movies can be of all sorts of different natures, and one like this is not bad because it is a departure from formula. I loved the stretches of inactivity, because it was an opportunity to THINK...like real life gives. No music...how cool. Heavy handed? Not really...there weren't repeated images of the Algerian conflict thrown around. Most was left for you to fill in. The issue was with how the people were. Someone once said that creating something that all people feel strongly about, whether good or bad, is great art. In the case of "Cache", I have to agree. Expand
  26. ClaudeC.
    Feb 22, 2006
    This was , by far, one of the best films I have ever seen. It not only had me spellbound but it made me think for days to follow. It isn't about who filmed or who didn't film the family's home but much more about the GUILT felt (or that SHOULD be felt) for the mistreatment of Algerians. The man felt guilt and whether or not this was ALL in his head, the guilt was real. I This was , by far, one of the best films I have ever seen. It not only had me spellbound but it made me think for days to follow. It isn't about who filmed or who didn't film the family's home but much more about the GUILT felt (or that SHOULD be felt) for the mistreatment of Algerians. The man felt guilt and whether or not this was ALL in his head, the guilt was real. I think Americans, overall, aren't intelligent enough to understand the racism in it or the sophistication it requires to "get" it! If you want a film you can understand then I suggest you see a Disney movie or watch the umpteens of bad sitcoms on today's television sets. But don't come in here and rate a movie for which you weren't armed/equipped to understand. But then again: typical American reaction and display of stupidity and foolishness. Expand
  27. DavidA.
    Feb 18, 2006
    [***SPOILER***] The film was riveting. But questions remain: why such a violent action (suicide) to rupture the life of Georges and his family when just the existence of the videos would have been sufficient??? What does the meeting of the two sons at the final credits portend???
  28. HermioneG.
    Feb 17, 2006
    A deeply engrossing discourse on racism. Chillingly prescient considering recent unrest in France. Those who try to connect the dots by trying to "work out" who the stalker is are asking the wrong questions. This film is richly metaporical and falling into the literal trap should be avoided. Lacanians will have a field day speculating on the impossible gaze of the other that haunts this A deeply engrossing discourse on racism. Chillingly prescient considering recent unrest in France. Those who try to connect the dots by trying to "work out" who the stalker is are asking the wrong questions. This film is richly metaporical and falling into the literal trap should be avoided. Lacanians will have a field day speculating on the impossible gaze of the other that haunts this truly beautiful film. Expand
  29. EricJ.
    Feb 16, 2006
    A great film that REQUIRES THOUGHT. Unfortunately most people (including those on this site [Ed: take it easy, cowboy!]) are either too stupid or just plain lazy to put the effort into true art such as this film. Sorry, most films are the equivalent of a candy bar and some, like this one, are steaks...
  30. Squish
    Feb 10, 2006
    It's a truly great movie with many open ended questions. I never considered it a "thriller" and find the repetition of this term in many of the film's slatings, indicative of it's crirtics' attitudes to films as a whole.
  31. AndreaD.
    Jan 31, 2006
    Great film. Weaves the personal and the political into a seamless whole - and the past and the present (including the US invasion of Iraq).
  32. Cindy
    Jan 30, 2006
    Great film...very French in that the ending is ambiguous. The first movie I've been to in long time where I didn't hear anyone talking during the film and you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre. Some shockingly violent scenes (one made the whole theatre gasp). Good acting, good directing, good movie.
  33. PhilM.
    Jan 30, 2006
    A refreshing breath of French Air. A view of French racism that in these Post-Katrina days we can see is different from and even more unconcious than our own.
  34. BenK.
    Jan 30, 2006
    A film more about the viewer than what appears onscreen. We must know, we demand to know what it all means but the are no satisfying answers.
  35. Linda
    Jan 29, 2006
    Held my interest for 2 hours! And I want to see it again.
  36. ElliottM.
    Jan 27, 2006
    This movie is simply outstanding. The grip Haneke maintains on his audience is very tight and the movie builds to a level of unbearable tension... Also, it's a little peculiar that the metascore dropped 3 points from one negative review out of SF.
  37. Sheila
    Jan 26, 2006
    I couldn't take my eyes off the screen--even during my third viewing of the film.
  38. Maryam
    Jan 25, 2006
    An incredible film - Haneke deserves to be up there with those few directors who make consistently excellent films about difficult issues.
  39. GeorgeM.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Outstanding study in film technique with a (not so) open ended story. The cliffhanger is a doozy and the violence is unexpected and powerful. It is not a movie for the casual thriller fan seeking a creaking door mystery and requires a good deal of patience. It will be rewarded.
  40. JohnM.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Caché is an breathtaking, exhilarating film, with the most deliciously ambiguous ending since Before Sunset (though I may even prefer the way this film ends over that one). This was, at least for me, the best film of 2005. I haven't left the theater so infused with a sense of giddiness (and unease?!) since I walked out of Mulholland Drive over four years ago.
  41. Chris
    Jan 14, 2006
    It's sad to see such negative reviews for a wonderful film. I question what it is these viewers are missing. Most notably, I feel they lack any sense of patience, and are more tuned in to the fast-cut (albeit formulaic) mold that hollywood and its parade of product placing sequels have to offer. Yes, it is french. Yes, it is surprisingly violent (including the slaughter of a live It's sad to see such negative reviews for a wonderful film. I question what it is these viewers are missing. Most notably, I feel they lack any sense of patience, and are more tuned in to the fast-cut (albeit formulaic) mold that hollywood and its parade of product placing sequels have to offer. Yes, it is french. Yes, it is surprisingly violent (including the slaughter of a live animal. And yes, it is slow. But all of these are well earned. Come on viewers, did we not feel the same for Oldboy regarding animal cruelty--it worked...or maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd here. Sadly, to discuss the longevity of shots ruins one of the most dynamic tools of the movie. Let me just say the line between viewer and participant is drastically blurred by them. Finally, this is an allegory. The films is NOT about tapes. It is about the politics of a nation that currently faces racial conflicts so intense that they must be looked in on, viewed from a hidden camera where the reality of the situation can be seen in its raw form. Sure, this liberal message comes off heavy, but the pure tension, and potential optimism the final shot offers (If you don't notice what's happening in the shot you aren't paying attention) is inspiring. Not only on a political level, but as proof that intelligent film is still being made. Do yourself a favor and watch this stunning film. Don't be afraid to pay attention, and become engage. Sidenote: You might want to check up on your modern french history, especially the algerian conflict before viewing. Collapse
  42. AaronS.
    Jan 14, 2006
    Haneke's best film yet. An absolutely spellbinding thriller that masterfully combines the personal with the political. Binoche and especially Auteuil are wonderful as the intellectual couple at the center of the film. Engimatic, provocative and chilling. Pay really close attention to the last shot of the film, it points the whole movie to an entirely different direction depending on Haneke's best film yet. An absolutely spellbinding thriller that masterfully combines the personal with the political. Binoche and especially Auteuil are wonderful as the intellectual couple at the center of the film. Engimatic, provocative and chilling. Pay really close attention to the last shot of the film, it points the whole movie to an entirely different direction depending on your interpretation. Excellent film. Expand
  43. HollisH.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Wonderful movie!
  44. D.J.Kyosti
    Dec 28, 2005
    David F. should probably stick to films like TITANIC and KING KING so that he doesn't have to think too much. CACHE is an incredible, audacious film that is as beautiful to watch as its subject is difficult. This film concerns issues that are perhaps not so hidden following the recent Paris riots, and in our own country, Hurricane Katrina. And even if you don't know who made David F. should probably stick to films like TITANIC and KING KING so that he doesn't have to think too much. CACHE is an incredible, audacious film that is as beautiful to watch as its subject is difficult. This film concerns issues that are perhaps not so hidden following the recent Paris riots, and in our own country, Hurricane Katrina. And even if you don't know who made those videos -- and does it even matter? -- it is still a nice little suspsense story. Expand
  45. GWG
    Dec 27, 2005
    Great Movie! Not for those who don't like Austrian/French films though.
  46. MichaelD.
    Dec 25, 2005
    This movie is such a breath of fresh air. An intelligent political thriller that doesn't pull its punches. It's thrilling to watch Binoche and Auteuil. Wow!
  47. BrendanM
    Dec 15, 2005
    Very good, and very French.

1. This brilliant if unpleasant puzzle without a solution about surveillance and various kinds of denial finds writer-director Michael Haneke near the top of his game, though it's not a game everyone will want to play.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    This brilliantly disturbing movie is constructed with surgical precision. Haneke lets no one off the hook least of all the viewer.
  3. Haneke echoes the theme of Hitchcock's "Rear Window": Moviemaking is basically an act of voyeurism. We secretly examine people's lives in every movie. But in this one, there is a hidden camera, a movie within the movie as it were, forcing us to observe a character along side a mysterious stranger.