High Tension

6.0

1. ChadS.
    Jul 31, 2005
    The twist in "High Tension" is so improbable, you have to wonder if this is some sort of art house revenge against the popcorn flick. This French import plays like a straight-faced send-up of the surprise ending trend in the ongoing slate of horror/thriller films that started with M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense". You get the feeling that the filmmaker is thumbing his nose at The twist in "High Tension" is so improbable, you have to wonder if this is some sort of art house revenge against the popcorn flick. This French import plays like a straight-faced send-up of the surprise ending trend in the ongoing slate of horror/thriller films that started with M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense". You get the feeling that the filmmaker is thumbing his nose at American moviegoers who covet them. Had "High Tension" not violated any physical laws, and the implicit responsibility that the artist always maintain a modicum of respect for the patron, this brutal film could've been interesting like how The Prodigy's video for "Smack my Bitch Up" was by changing the hunter/hunted relationship with a little tweak in the traditional gender assignation of roles. In the midst of "High Tension('s)" asinine revelation, there is terribly violent, but terribly effective scene involving a chainsaw and misguided female desire. "High Tension" is secretly arch. A committee of Hollywood screenwriters might've written the third act without a Dadaist agenda (or a clue that the film is incoherent), but not the French. "High Tension" is subliminally saying, "You Americans. You stupid, stupid Americans." Expand
  2. DrakeD.
    Nov 20, 2005
    Well, I've been waiting quite a long time for this movie to come out on dvd and when i whatched it, it seemed a waste of time, but it kept me thinking throughout the movie. it deserves a 5 no more though.
  3. Zach
    Jun 13, 2005
    Great movie up until the plot twist. Why did they ruin a perfectly good movie. Actually was suspensful and shocking up until the twist. After that the movie is just laughable.
  4. RavenX301
    Apr 13, 2007
    I just got done watching this flim on the Movie network. Not very good. I would have given it a 7 or close 8 if it wasn't for the fact that TOoooooo many things have to be forgiven for the ending to work. At first it was good. It was like the old school slasher when there were very few poeple and that ONE killer. But thinking back on the sences after seeing the ending is too weird. I just got done watching this flim on the Movie network. Not very good. I would have given it a 7 or close 8 if it wasn't for the fact that TOoooooo many things have to be forgiven for the ending to work. At first it was good. It was like the old school slasher when there were very few poeple and that ONE killer. But thinking back on the sences after seeing the ending is too weird. At first (like I said) it seemed like maybe it was biulding to some kind of 'kitty' slasher and Texas Chainsaw Massarce, and unlike Riren who thinks that this has bee done so much (I;ve seen thousands of movies including over seas and this polt isnt AS overdone as you seem to think) No....I dont mind the story if it wasn't for ALL those mistakes after knowing the ending. There was a cool move on the surrvilence camera that really surpised me, but only because the movie was so outrageously pointing in one completley differnet way. The movie is way to out there that it makes it too impossible to understand becasue of the lack of actual common sense in a movie thats trying to make you believe in it. Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2011
    I read about this movie online and decided to watch it after already knowing the ending...big mistake. Knowing the ending completely ruins the entire movie. Without going into spoiler territory, the only redeeming quality of this movie is the incredibly hot main character. That alone bumps this up to a 5 for me.
  6. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad on so many points and good on so very few. It was confusing and definitely one of the stranger films out there. Though High Tension does seem a little more violent than it needs to be, what it was implying (the violence) is still not clear. Perhaps maybe it will be if one watches it more than once.
  7. Aug 17, 2014
    It starts out pretty good. You gotta creepy dude humping a severed head. "Intriguing." A couple of hot french girls. "Alright." And some pretty cool gore. "I'm hooked!" And then you get slapped in the face with a terrible ending that completely destroys the film. Everything before the twist gets a 7/10. But, because of how much the ending ruins the mood, It gets a 5/10 - Mediocre.

The film revels in blood and gore, but this is not just a run-of-the-mill splatter film. There's a lot of intelligence in both the script and in Alexandre Aja's direction.
  2. Like all horror films, High Tension builds to a final, sobering flash of chaos that settles all scores. Some viewers will hate Aja's movie for its end-game reveal; others will love it for the very same reason.
  3. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Deftly juggles gore and suspense, and punchline holds an intellectual frisson or two for fans of gender-role speculation, but basically this is one more horror pic on the distinguished road already trodden by "Texas Chain Saw Massacre," "Maniac" and the like.