6.8

1. Jan 13, 2013
    Sacha Gervasi's "Hitchcock" title comes off a bit misleading, suggesting that the film to be a definitive biopic; an extensive, in-depth look into the life and career of the of one of the finest directors ever. However, the movie is really just a dramatization of the making of Hitchcock's "Psycho," where in historical facts are accompanied by embellishments and simplifications that serveSacha Gervasi's "Hitchcock" title comes off a bit misleading, suggesting that the film to be a definitive biopic; an extensive, in-depth look into the life and career of the of one of the finest directors ever. However, the movie is really just a dramatization of the making of Hitchcock's "Psycho," where in historical facts are accompanied by embellishments and simplifications that serve to add humor and conflict. "Hitchcock" centers on the relationship between director Alfred Hitchcock (Anthony Hopkins) and his wife Alma Reville (Helen Mirren) during the making of Psycho, a controversial horror film that subsequently became one of the most acclaimed and influential works in the filmmaker's career.
    Anthony Hopkins is superb the title role, fitted with impeccable makeup and prosthetics, and Mirren is equally as impressive. This makes for a reasonably enjoyable watch for the audience, but viewers are unlikely to learn anything new of consequence about the Master of Suspense. I wouldn't suggest that you spend $10 on a ticket for this one, but a fine film to rent in a couple of months.
  2. Nov 25, 2012
    Broadly enjoyable pop art bio pic.
  3. Dec 25, 2012
    Anyone who can resist Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren at the top of their form is a better man than I. There are subplots during which the film tends to lose impact and focus, but it's not long before Hopkins and Mirren resume their master class in screen acting. Their eyes convey more than speech.
  4. Dec 4, 2012
    Great acting by Mirren and Hopkins .
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    **** is easily one of the best films of the year. Hopkins and Mirren's performances were superb. If you pay any attention to the trailer you will know what it is about. A must see film of the year.
  6. Dec 30, 2012
    What a wonderful movie! It may be rewriting history but it does it in such a beautiful way. If I was A.H. then I would have a thing for blondes too...
  7. Feb 18, 2013
    As he used to say- murder has come home, where it belongs" Alfred's Psycho was one of the best movies ever made and This movie tells us how Alfred actually made the movie. Now Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren were great in this film, Scarlet was good and others were nice too. The main thing I liked about this movie is that it has Details, details that good films need but they don't have!As he used to say- murder has come home, where it belongs" Alfred's Psycho was one of the best movies ever made and This movie tells us how Alfred actually made the movie. Now Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren were great in this film, Scarlet was good and others were nice too. The main thing I liked about this movie is that it has Details, details that good films need but they don't have! This Overall documentary is very good, not the fact that it has good cast and direction but the fact that its a meaningful movie! Expand
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    Anthony Hopkins puts on a fat suit and lots of makeup to play the famous director, while Helen Mirren just wears glasses in the role of his wife. The story starts as he comes off the success of "North by Northwest" and is searching for a new project to inspire him and prove that he's still got it. That project is "Psycho" and the challenges of making it and the relationship with his wifeAnthony Hopkins puts on a fat suit and lots of makeup to play the famous director, while Helen Mirren just wears glasses in the role of his wife. The story starts as he comes off the success of "North by Northwest" and is searching for a new project to inspire him and prove that he's still got it. That project is "Psycho" and the challenges of making it and the relationship with his wife take up the rest of the film. As any fan knows, **** dry, dark humor was his most enjoyable asset and this film gives us plenty to laugh about. His obsessions are also explored, but never too darkly. As expected, the performances are solid. The costumes and art direction recreate the period attractively. While the film has a glossy, surface feel, it's still enjoyable entertainment. Expand
  9. May 5, 2013
    A good bio that doesn't bore the hell out of you, not it is funny and keeps you interesting the whole watch and it is appropriate for all ages to get to know one of the greatest directors of all time.
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    **** stars Anthony Hopkins, Helen Mirren, Scarlett Johannson and Danny Huston in what basically is the story of the making of the movie
  11. Feb 7, 2013
    has great cinematography, a great sense of humour and spot on acting from the cast. Though my only problems with the film were that at times it felt tonally confused and there could have been more about Psycho presented in the film, also some parts felt a bit rushed and they could have shown more of them. In the end, is a fun, though flawed, biopic.
  12. Feb 8, 2013
    Comparisons with 'The Girl' are inevitable, but whilst this isn't as good, it certainly paints in a rather better light. On the whole this is an entertaining and fairly lightweight concoction, performed to perfection. Anthony Hopkins is much better in the role of the famous director than I had been led to believe and Helen Mirren turns in her usual high calibre performance as his wifeComparisons with 'The Girl' are inevitable, but whilst this isn't as good, it certainly paints in a rather better light. On the whole this is an entertaining and fairly lightweight concoction, performed to perfection. Anthony Hopkins is much better in the role of the famous director than I had been led to believe and Helen Mirren turns in her usual high calibre performance as his wife Alma Reville, the backbone behind the man. The main fun with the film is watching well known actors play other well known personalities. Aside from the two leads, Scarlett Johannson registers well as Janet Leigh, and in a very small role James D'arcy absolutely nails Anthony Perkins displaying all that actors nervous tics and hesitancy. His is a performance I would like to have seen more of. Recreations of the making of Psycho are great and the film generally entertains without displaying any of the heavy drama that made 'The Girl' so compelling. There are merits to each film and both present in a slightly different way. The truth is probably somewhere in between. Expand
  13. Apr 16, 2013
    It's a simple film, and not the definitive biopic that one might have expected. However, Hopkins and Mirren are so good, that its flaws are easy to overlook. It's a love story that tries to look into the mind of a mad genius.
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    Personally, I hate biographies, I watched because I wanted to know more about Alfred and his masterpieces, how he does it? I learned a lot about him, he was crazy about Psycho. As a movie it is entertaining and funny, and what makes it perfect, is the acting, Mirren and Hopkins are wonderful, with some great chemistry between them. I loved it is by far, one of the greatest biographiesPersonally, I hate biographies, I watched because I wanted to know more about Alfred and his masterpieces, how he does it? I learned a lot about him, he was crazy about Psycho. As a movie it is entertaining and funny, and what makes it perfect, is the acting, Mirren and Hopkins are wonderful, with some great chemistry between them. I loved it is by far, one of the greatest biographies ever told, and it is one excellent movie. Collapse
  15. Sep 25, 2013
    There are various names thrown into the mix when the notion of inspirational and pivotal players in the world of filmmaking, but none ring quite as frequently as Alfred a man quite like no other, much like his films, but here, we have a small insight into the man who was always watching. Anthony Hopkins portrays the esteemed man behind such films as "North by Northwest" and "Psycho", theThere are various names thrown into the mix when the notion of inspirational and pivotal players in the world of filmmaking, but none ring quite as frequently as Alfred a man quite like no other, much like his films, but here, we have a small insight into the man who was always watching. Anthony Hopkins portrays the esteemed man behind such films as "North by Northwest" and "Psycho", the latter being the film for which this biopic is set around. But the film isn't so much a life story, but more a love story and relationship study between "Hitch" and his doting wife, Alma (Helen Mirren), a woman who has all the skills to last on her own, but follows her husband wherever he may go, she writes and helps him on his way to stardom, but he felt he had to change, he wasn't getting any younger and Hitch himself wanted to show his ability to be diverse. Hopkins plays a man who seems to be aware of everything around him, he knew what needed to be done to give a film that unique edge, Hopkins excellently shows an outcast in someone with an unorthodox technique, but one which works. But the film focuses too much on the marriage of Hitch and Alma, while intriguing and well fitted, not enough time is given to the making of Psycho, this would have certainly been more logical considering the controversial nature of the film and the amount of coverage it received upon its release. This aside, the sublime performances of Hopkins and Mirren are enough to see this film, Hopkins commands the screen and works fluently with a darkly humoured script, while Mirren is an independent yet loving wife to a legend, but also struggles with her own identity and finds solace in the innocent company of Whitfield Cook (Danny Huston) while Hitch continues to show admiration for leading ladies Janet Leigh (Scarlett Johansson) and Vera Miles (Jessica Biel), not major roles the film, nor do they look much like the originals, but great performances soon fix that. The ensemble of fine performances are definitely worth applauding, with a strong script and unique direction to accompany this riveting film, it could have chose a better path, but still fires strong on all cylinders to outline an iconic man, or more so, an iconic couple who changed the landscape of what it means to scare people, looking for that perfect factor, she wrote it, he showed it. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    I took me a while to get to watch the movie due to its mixed reviews but when I did I enjoyed every minute of it. With solid performances and entertaining dialogs it captivates the audience within the first few minutes. And it gives a great and interesting view into the making of psycho. I recommend it strongly.
  17. May 11, 2014
    As watching a movie about Alfred Hitchcock's Ideas and how he brought pyscho to the movie theatres and how he sees his ideas on the picture . Anthony hopkins is great at playing Hitchcock and so as Helen Mirren as the supporting , Jealous wife . This movie is amazing and a good movie .
  18. Jul 1, 2014
    Creepiness not only shows up in Hitchcock’s films, but it is intertwined in his life. The movie follows the making of perhaps Hitchcock's best film, Psycho. It also delves into Hitchcock’s personal life, dealing with his wife and their partnership with making movies. In my opinion the best part of the film is the behind the scenes glimpse we get to see of how Psycho was made. The recreatedCreepiness not only shows up in Hitchcock’s films, but it is intertwined in his life. The movie follows the making of perhaps Hitchcock's best film, Psycho. It also delves into Hitchcock’s personal life, dealing with his wife and their partnership with making movies. In my opinion the best part of the film is the behind the scenes glimpse we get to see of how Psycho was made. The recreated time period was handled well, making the viewer feel immersed. The plot veered from showing the actual making of Psycho more than I would have liked. Instead of focusing on the behind the scenes element, which I considered more entertaining, they focused more on the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Hitchcock. Not that this was a bad thing for the film but it was not the most entertaining route. The two leads had great chemistry and were fun to watch play believable roles. The cinematography was clever and editing ran smoothly. Acting was well executed, with great performances from Anthony Hopkins, Helen Mirren and Scarlett Johansson. The film was an informational adventure that motivated me to watch more Hitchcock films. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    A disappointing excursion into movie history.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hitchcock for dummies: brisk, jolly, well-played but oversimplified.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hitchcock purists will certainly take issue with some details, but Gervasi's film shouldn't be taken as an ironclad factual film docudrama. Rather, it is fact-inspired fiction -- a film based on real events but one that isn't shy about taking creative liberties. As long as viewers keep that in mind, Gervasi's stands to be a nice bit of murderous fun.