Indomina Group | Release Date: October 17, 2012
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 104 Ratings
WATCH NOW
seancriswellMar 7, 2013
Holy Motors is a day in the life of a performer. We see Oscar (Lavant) picked up by his driver/assistant, he is told that he has a certain number of appointments that he must attend throughout his day. Soon after we learn that at eachHoly Motors is a day in the life of a performer. We see Oscar (Lavant) picked up by his driver/assistant, he is told that he has a certain number of appointments that he must attend throughout his day. Soon after we learn that at each appointment he is to play a new character. Who he is performing for and why he is performing is for the viewer to decide for themselves. There in lies my problem with Holy Motors. There is no narrative to speak of, and there is no character development. Unless of course you consider the fact that Oscar becomes exhausted from all of his appointments character development.

There is one positive in Holy Motors, and that is Denis Lavant. He transitions flawlessly from one character to the next, and portrays each character convincingly. I would say that Lavant is giving my second favorite performance of 2012, next to Day-Lewis in Lincoln. However once again my issue becomes that I am given no reason to care about any of the characters he is portraying. It's as if I am watching a very good audition. If I was casting a movie I would hire Lavant, if I'm looking to enjoy a film for two hours, no thanks.

Holy Motors is deliberately bizarre and surreal so there is an audience that it is appealing too. I am just not that audience which I'm sure is no skin off Carax's back. For me Holy Motors is simply artistic masturbation.
C26000aDec 20, 2013
What the.. Did I watch? Boring to say the least. It has a couple of interesting moments but most of it is a mass of incoherent events. Besides it makes you hate the protagonist
wernermlApr 17, 2013
Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are watching a horrible Theater Play..

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid,

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
AtomicDogSep 1, 2014
This movie has arresting visuals. That's the best that can be said for it. Other than that it is incomprehensible weird for the sake of it nonsense. There is no story. In short, it is a film that only a critic could like, in other wordsThis movie has arresting visuals. That's the best that can be said for it. Other than that it is incomprehensible weird for the sake of it nonsense. There is no story. In short, it is a film that only a critic could like, in other words pretentious pseudo intellectualism. Expand
pesho_oneNov 23, 2014
This is not your standard movie. I am going even to say it is not a normal one. There seems to be no plot, or clear ideas. The movie will be what you make of it. And this is not a type of film I enjoy. I don't think it is targeted to theThis is not your standard movie. I am going even to say it is not a normal one. There seems to be no plot, or clear ideas. The movie will be what you make of it. And this is not a type of film I enjoy. I don't think it is targeted to the people that expect to just watch a movie. This is something else. And you have to be in another state of mind to appreciate. And while I assume that there are people who are going to like it and even think it is great, I am certain I'll never be able to truly understand why. On the plus side, it has some beautiful and slightly outrages shots, which at least deserve 3 out of 10 on their own. Expand