7.4

1. Nov 20, 2012
    No, this film has far too many boring stretches to work - especially in the second half of the film. I'm a fan of Cronnenberg, Lynch and other filmmakers who do weird in much more interesting and provocative ways. Sure, there are some disturbing images and fodder for discussion - they're simply not tied together into a meaningful whole which worked for me. I went into the film knowingNo, this film has far too many boring stretches to work - especially in the second half of the film. I'm a fan of Cronnenberg, Lynch and other filmmakers who do weird in much more interesting and provocative ways. Sure, there are some disturbing images and fodder for discussion - they're simply not tied together into a meaningful whole which worked for me. I went into the film knowing generally what to expect, and I can let good inaccessible art flow by me, but I checked my watch 2 or 3 too many times for my liking. Expand
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    Holy Motors is a day in the life of a performer. We see Oscar (Lavant) picked up by his driver/assistant, he is told that he has a certain number of appointments that he must attend throughout his day. Soon after we learn that at each appointment he is to play a new character. Who he is performing for and why he is performing is for the viewer to decide for themselves. There in lies myHoly Motors is a day in the life of a performer. We see Oscar (Lavant) picked up by his driver/assistant, he is told that he has a certain number of appointments that he must attend throughout his day. Soon after we learn that at each appointment he is to play a new character. Who he is performing for and why he is performing is for the viewer to decide for themselves. There in lies my problem with Holy Motors. There is no narrative to speak of, and there is no character development. Unless of course you consider the fact that Oscar becomes exhausted from all of his appointments character development.

There is one positive in Holy Motors, and that is Denis Lavant. He transitions flawlessly from one character to the next, and portrays each character convincingly. I would say that Lavant is giving my second favorite performance of 2012, next to Day-Lewis in Lincoln. However once again my issue becomes that I am given no reason to care about any of the characters he is portraying. It's as if I am watching a very good audition. If I was casting a movie I would hire Lavant, if I'm looking to enjoy a film for two hours, no thanks.

Holy Motors is deliberately bizarre and surreal so there is an audience that it is appealing too. I am just not that audience which I'm sure is no skin off Carax's back. For me Holy Motors is simply artistic masturbation.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are watching a horrible Theater Play..

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
  4. Dec 20, 2013
    What the.. Did I watch? Boring to say the least. It has a couple of interesting moments but most of it is a mass of incoherent events. Besides it makes you hate the protagonist
  5. Sep 1, 2014
    This movie has arresting visuals. That's the best that can be said for it. Other than that it is incomprehensible weird for the sake of it nonsense. There is no story. In short, it is a film that only a critic could like, in other words pretentious pseudo intellectualism.
  6. Nov 23, 2014
    This is not your standard movie. I am going even to say it is not a normal one. There seems to be no plot, or clear ideas. The movie will be what you make of it. And this is not a type of film I enjoy. I don't think it is targeted to the people that expect to just watch a movie. This is something else. And you have to be in another state of mind to appreciate. And while I assume that thereThis is not your standard movie. I am going even to say it is not a normal one. There seems to be no plot, or clear ideas. The movie will be what you make of it. And this is not a type of film I enjoy. I don't think it is targeted to the people that expect to just watch a movie. This is something else. And you have to be in another state of mind to appreciate. And while I assume that there are people who are going to like it and even think it is great, I am certain I'll never be able to truly understand why. On the plus side, it has some beautiful and slightly outrages shots, which at least deserve 3 out of 10 on their own. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Dec 5, 2012
    Holy Motors is as individualistic a movie as you're likely to encounter – both in terms of the filmmaker's intent and the viewer's takeaway. Warmth and humor abide within its every frame but, like Carax's dreamer at the film's outset, you must find the key within yourself that unlocks the mysteries.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 30, 2012
    There are a few beguiling moments in Holy Motors, particularly a martial-arts sequence and an erotic dance while Mr. Oscar is dressed in a motion-capture body suit, but the road between those moments is so strewn with stalled ideas that audiences who care about character and plot are liable to take the exit to a movie that makes sense.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 21, 2012
    Holy Motors is wild and unfettered and playful - the work of an artist who carries his love of cinema in his bones, and knows how to share that affection with the audience.