7.8

1. Sep 12, 2014
    It's been a while since I last watched an Asian movie, so that could be affecting my judgment: still film felt a bit weird, and I don't know why.

Essentially this was a story of love, betrayal, and making choices. Choosing your path, even if it won't lead to lasting happiness. To be a carefree wind - or a playful, teasing wind. To stop for someone, or to go on.

This movie had
    fighting scenes just as expected, but while beautiful and artistic, they felt a bit hollow, and were at times hard to keep up with.

Altogether the story was easy to follow, the characters intriguing and deep. Seeing Takeshi Kaneshiro and Zhang Ziyi together in a same movie was awesome, and Andy Lau wasn't bad either.

The heavy stuff started only near the end, with the fateful, slightly drawn-out battle of two men who once were friends, but falling for the same woman (among other things) drives them against each other.

A good story, beautiful clothes, colors and design, but somehow this left me wanting for more. Maybe I will watch this another time again and be more at ease with it.
  2. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the best martial art movies ever made.
    .........................................................................................................
  3. Aug 2, 2014
    HOFD's is a wonderful martial arts masterpiece. The movie was directed by the same director as Hero.
    with Jet Li. The visual effects are innovative and the story is interesting . The movie is extraordinary
    from the opening frame to the closing frame, A+.
  4. Jul 9, 2014
    House Of Flying Daggers is a gorgeous action movie with sumptuous cinematography and sublime
    action sequences. The movie is one of the best martial arts movies made recently. If you don't like the
    story, there is always the brilliant action to entertain you.
  5. Jul 8, 2014
    House of flying daggers has some of the coolest martial arts you'll ever see. The visual effects in the movie
    are also astonishing. The plot isn't as amazing as the effects but the beauty of the visuals is the brilliance
    of the movie. House of flying daggers is a spectacular martial arts extravaganza from the director of Hero
    with Jet Li.
  6. Aug 12, 2012
    The final fight scene appeared a bit poorly cut-together and took the sheen off an otherwise excellent film. The visuals were truly astounding, and the "echo game" scene must be one of the most amazing pieces of choreography ever filmed.
  7. Mar 18, 2012
    I really liked it but the only problems I had with the film is that it failed to show what happend to the rebel group (House of the Flying Daggers) and the action scenes could have been better. Still a solid film though, Definently worth the watch.
  8. Aug 31, 2010
    Another pretentious movie made by Zhang. Since Hero, he completed lost everything. The only good thing about this movie is Takeshi Kaneshiro - the ultimate eye candy. He was the only thing that kept me on my seat. The plot does not make sense, especially in the eyes of Mandarin speaking audiences. Pure Nonsense! Plus cringe-worthy dialogues and the flying daggers ... what an embarrassment, even we (who are so used to unreal martial art sequences) found it too much to bear. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Quite simply, House of Flying Daggers is a film that sets several new standards for production and entertainment values. It is a wild riot of color, music, passion, action, mystery, pure old-fashioned thrills and even dancing.
  2. A glorious new addition to martial-arts cinema.
    Forget "Hero" -- that cult hit was just Zhang Yimou's warm-up for this martial-arts fireball that throws in a lyrical love story, head-spinning fights and dazzling surprises.