How to Train Your Dragon

8.7

1. Jan 12, 2016
    If I claim some sort of animated movie to be Best Animated Original of 2010, it would be this. How to boost up a support for this movie is by giving it either an 8 or higher.
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    One of the best movies I've ever seen, the story is awesome, the characters are likable, and it's hilarious, one of the best movies of 2010, it earns a perfect 10, a must see.
  3. Mar 27, 2015
    The first in what may be Dreamworks Animation's best tentpole franchise, "How To Train Your Dragon" is highlighted by elaborately majestic flight sequences, infinitely entertaining vocal performances, and one of the most invigorating animated film scores this side of "The Incredibles."
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    Dreamworks Animation's new viking animation "How to Train Your Dragon" is surprisingly enjoyable compared to recent films made by them. It has unusually strong love and passion throughout the animation as well as a enjoyable story that will definitely make you laugh and jump in excitement. A family must-watch
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very heart warming children's movie that works for adults as well. Pixar is known for its great animation, but DreamWorks is gaining because of their ability to learn that emotional connection is the key. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2012
    Surprisingly fantastic. The movie was epic on an animation level. A well thought out script that carried such heart around it. The music was the highlight and the comedy/action was fun.
  7. Jul 29, 2014
    How to Train Your Dragon is an absolutely amazing animated movie. It has great characters, cute monsters and fantastic action sequences. Even better, it has a deep cathartic edge that leaves you a tear in the eye. More of this, please... it's great!
  8. May 29, 2012
    One of Dreamworks best films. No wonder it has a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Great characters and a ton of dragon action scenes render this as a great start to a potential franchise.
  9. Aug 24, 2014
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

A sweet, somewhat predictable tale of a boy with an unusual name who keeps disappointing his father and fellow Vikings with his unconvincing appearance, yet manages to herald a new age for his entire community. The movie begins on a grim note: battles and destruction are at the forefront of the action, and a certain degree of violence persistently cling to most of
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

The movie begins on a grim note: battles and destruction are at the forefront of the action, and a certain degree of violence persistently cling to most of the movie. However, it manages to elevate the story from childish dreamland to something a little more concrete, and makes the tale of people and dragons all the more tangible.

The dragon Toothless definitely steals the show, taking best bits of cat- and dog-like behavior, endearing himself to the audience. Seeing the relationship of Hiccup and Toothless grow despite their rocky start - and then seeing that extended to other people - inspires faith in human heart's capacity to love and accept those we once feared.

A fun, lovely movie that has a lot of laughs,warm & fluffy feelings and all-around enjoyment to spare.
  10. Jun 15, 2014
    Thoroughly entertaining, and beautifully animated. Yet DreamWorks still cannot live up to Pixar's heart, creativity, and vibrance of animation. Still, DreamWorks shows its talents here.
  11. Dec 21, 2010
    this movie is awesome and breathtaking
  12. Jun 7, 2013
    Overall, while I enjoy How to Train Your Dragon I wish it had a more original premise in terms of characters and story, something Megamind would address. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy this film but I have seen a lot of this before and I wish it gave us something we had it seen before. But for what it is the film is pretty good. Unlike Tangled the film makes the story interesting so evenOverall, while I enjoy How to Train Your Dragon I wish it had a more original premise in terms of characters and story, something Megamind would address. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy this film but I have seen a lot of this before and I wish it gave us something we had it seen before. But for what it is the film is pretty good. Unlike Tangled the film makes the story interesting so even though this is a predictable film with numerous clichés. I like these characters and I love the world. Plus, there is some great animation and awesome flying segments, which probably look spectacular in 3D. While a wish this film had more originality it is still pretty good. The story, characters, and universe I were likeable enough to I was engaged and that clichés did not bother me that much. When the film ended I was happy and glad I saw it but wishing I had seen it in 3D and/or IMAX. While it may not be the most original or creative film I have seen How to Train Your Dragon is pretty good providing likeable characters, a cool world, and is engaging and that is enough for me to say it is worth a watch. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    Whoa!? Dreamworks where did this come from? What great, heart-felt film...one of the best films of 2010 and one of the best animated films of recent years...
  14. Nov 26, 2011
    How to Train Your Dragon puts shame to lesser animated films. It's so lovingly crafted, from it's beautiful animation to the pitch-perfect script flawlessly performed by the vocal talent, to John Powell's rich, Celtic-inspired score. The casting is perfect, but of particular note is Jay Baruchel, who makes our unlikely hero Hiccup an extremely relatable protagonist, America Ferrera whoHow to Train Your Dragon puts shame to lesser animated films. It's so lovingly crafted, from it's beautiful animation to the pitch-perfect script flawlessly performed by the vocal talent, to John Powell's rich, Celtic-inspired score. The casting is perfect, but of particular note is Jay Baruchel, who makes our unlikely hero Hiccup an extremely relatable protagonist, America Ferrera who packs so much attitude into battle-maiden Astrid's every line that you can almost hear her daring you to underestimate her prowess on the battlefield, and Craig Furguson, who's just plain fun as the grizzled, wise-cracking old trainer Gobber. Despite the talent of the actors, the real star of the film isn't a person at all, but an animated dragon. "Toothless" is a real triumph of animation - not since Wall-E has a mostly-silent computer-animated character been so easy to read, his every movement and slightest change in expression communicating to the audience exactly what he is feeling and thinking. The dragons in general are extremely well handled - the designers and animators have managed to pull off a range of creatures that are recognisable, but at the same time original, cartoony, yet still believable, a work of fantasy, but somehow grounded in some semblance of reality. Even with all of these stunning elements, How to Train Your Dragon could have still fallen short, as in the end, it comes down to one thing - the story. Luckily, it succeeds on this front too - it's just a good old-fashioned fable with a timeless moral - don't judge a book by it's cover. It's also a coming-of-age story, a comment on father-son relationships and a warning against humanity's tendency to destroy that which it does not understand. How to Train Your Dragon is so much more than an animated family feature film. It's engaging, original and expertly crafted in every aspect. It manages to comment on serious issues on quite a profound level without ever becoming preachy. And of course it's a feast for the eyes, ears and heart. With features like Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs.Aliens and How to Train Your Dragon, DreamWorks Animation are fast becoming very serious contenders for Pixar's crown... Expand
  15. Dec 27, 2010
    I love good animation. I loved "Kung-Fu Panda" last year, so I had to see Dreamwork's latest. It didn't disappoint. The action scenes are great, the movie is well written, and it probably has the best usage of 3D that I've seen so far. After these two gems, Dreamworks is almost at the level of Pixar, who I think slipped a little after last year's "Up". Pixar still makes the mostI love good animation. I loved "Kung-Fu Panda" last year, so I had to see Dreamwork's latest. It didn't disappoint. The action scenes are great, the movie is well written, and it probably has the best usage of 3D that I've seen so far. After these two gems, Dreamworks is almost at the level of Pixar, who I think slipped a little after last year's "Up". Pixar still makes the most original films, however. This one does have the tired storyline of the protagonist that nobody respects suddenly becoming a hero, just like Kung Fu Panda. Once Dreamworks does something totally original, such as "Toy Story", or "Monster's Inc", they will be at the level of Pixar. Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2011
    How to Train Your Dragon is not just one of the best animated films of 2010, its one of the best animated films, full stop. From the flawless, beautiful visuals to the voice cast, everything is perfect. It's one of those films that just makes you feel great once your finished because it is just so sincere and delightful. It's visuals are terrific with the animation of Toothless the DragonHow to Train Your Dragon is not just one of the best animated films of 2010, its one of the best animated films, full stop. From the flawless, beautiful visuals to the voice cast, everything is perfect. It's one of those films that just makes you feel great once your finished because it is just so sincere and delightful. It's visuals are terrific with the animation of Toothless the Dragon being some of the best character animation I have ever seen. Despite the fact he doesn't speak you always know what he is thinking. It's masterful. Jay Baruchel leads a brilliant voice cast including the likes of Gerard Butler, America Ferrera, Craig Ferguson and Jonah Hill. Everyone seems to be having great fun with their characters and in doing so, allowing us to enjoy it too. It's a marvel of a project and I'm glad there is another on the way. Expand
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    Took me a while to get around to seeing this but now that I have I can see why so many people liked it. Aimed at children obviously but its one of the more recent kids films that has simply got it right. Great concept about vikings and dragons (something that young boys in particular will love). I could have seen this being an all-time favourite of mine had it been released when I was aTook me a while to get around to seeing this but now that I have I can see why so many people liked it. Aimed at children obviously but its one of the more recent kids films that has simply got it right. Great concept about vikings and dragons (something that young boys in particular will love). I could have seen this being an all-time favourite of mine had it been released when I was a kid, but even though I'm a little older I can still appreciate it for what it is, and that is a great film! Expand
  18. Jul 17, 2016
    How to train your dragon try to take one of the bests novels ever to the cinema, with a surprising story-telling and great interpretation-voices, as well as its amazing and very interesting plot, that will catch all kind of audience in general.
  19. May 20, 2014
    You know 2010 was a pretty packed year for good animated movies, I mean we had this, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Megamind, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. All of them are good movies in their own right but i would have to say that this is my second favorite animated movie to come out that year behind Toy Story 3 of course. Dreamworks Animation has always had someYou know 2010 was a pretty packed year for good animated movies, I mean we had this, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Megamind, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. All of them are good movies in their own right but i would have to say that this is my second favorite animated movie to come out that year behind Toy Story 3 of course. Dreamworks Animation has always had some decent movies a few being Antz, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Megamind, but it seems that people always put them behind in the race with Pixar. ill honest here and say that this movie is better then the last 3 Pixar films without a doubt. The voice cast is freaking great, the animation was top notch, the action/flight scenes were awesome, and the story does have it's heartfelt moments when needed. The only problem i have with the movie is that the story never really seems to take off, for me it seemed that the writers played it safe but other then that i loved it.

Overall i give it a 8.0 One problem i had when i first watched the film was Jay Baruchel as Hiccup his voice just didn't seem to fit but after a couple of times watching it his voice grew on me. I really can't wait to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 but i already know it's not going to be as good as this one though, The trailers do make it look as if it will be just as fun filled as the first so count me in for a theater viewing.
  20. Apr 13, 2011
    I like movies done by DreamWorks Animation, but none seemed to reach the emotional tone of Pixar movies, until this fantastic movie came. Had "Toy Story 3" not been released in the same year, this movie would've definitely been my pick for best animated movie of the year.
  21. Aug 6, 2016
    How to train your dragon is one of dreamworks best films. The story's has a interesting touch to it, especially the strong bond between hiccup and toothless, that really increases the story as it goes along.
  22. Sep 24, 2010
    This film the Advertisements and the trailers made this movie look like yet another movie to take your kids to and with the 3D now thats what sells the kids and makes you want to see the film but heres the thing i saw this film in 2D and i loved it its truth that a movie can be just as great in 2D as is in 3D the animaton , the score , the voicework , there is nothing wrong with this filmThis film the Advertisements and the trailers made this movie look like yet another movie to take your kids to and with the 3D now thats what sells the kids and makes you want to see the film but heres the thing i saw this film in 2D and i loved it its truth that a movie can be just as great in 2D as is in 3D the animaton , the score , the voicework , there is nothing wrong with this film . its perfect this is a rare movie that you watch and there is nothing wrong with it .. the whole movie i was looking for a flaw but i was too cought up in the story and emmersed in this breathtaking FANTASTIC film.

The film Starts off as an action-packed explosive Ride .. where we meet Hiccop played by (Jay Baruchel) he is an apriring viking trying to take in his fathers footsteps here is shocker the father is played by (Gerard Butler) its weird seeing him in a Good movie i mean after Ugly Truth & Gamer & Bounty Hunter, i was starting to loose hope but he is very well placed in this movie as the head viking of the village hes the head hancho!. Well Hiccop wants to prove that he can be more than just a screw up and a handy man .. so he does somthing he actully captures a Dragon!.

And not just any dragon he captures the rarest Dragon there is one that noone has ever seen and or lived to tell about it. So he is about to slay the dragon so he can prove to his dad that he is a real viking but he cant and so he frees the dragon but the dragon has been injured so he does somthing that all vikings forbid he trains this Dragon this scared and lonely Dragon. But soon after that he is enrolled in a Dragon Training Practice which teached Young Viking how to slay Dragons the right way. Well HIccup after freeing the Dragon at which he names Toothless which is the perfect name for this one of a kind Dragon. Anyway after trianing his Dragon he learns a few features about the dragons that he dident know. And so that helps he Excel in Beating out the competion in his Dragon Training. But as soon as things start to arise like a Queen Dragon that is the Biggest and Baddest of them all the Villiage and Hiccup and Toothless are againts all the ODDS!.

This movie starts off and your thinking wow is that what the whole movie is going to be like? Thats what i was asking myself .. I Think Dreamworks Animation has learned from Pixar the best way to get though a great scene is no Dialogue that is what this movies Key was the score in the backround was so Beautiful you couldent ask for a better composer .. the scenes between Hiccup and toothless while in traning are what this movie lives off of anfd i gotta say it works.. The scenes in this movie where they are soaring to new heights are Breathtaking it actully feels like your there.

This movie Succeds where other animated films do not this one in particular teaches you a moral and you can clearly tell what it is. The voice work was Brilliant and Sport on Craig Ferguson was Hilrious and a Riot as the Old Timer the Vetren if you will this movies comedic timing is actully quite perfect what UP dident accomplish this movie has a heart and a soul the children are going to love this film has at times this movie may be scary but in the end its worth it... this film is fantastic i have said it 100 times and im gonna say it 100 more Breathtaking , asthonishing! ... Glorious.

A++

ReviewdByNate

RatedPG

RunTime90mins

Thanks For Stoppin Buy!
  23. Jun 6, 2015
    Exquisite animated film. Full of joy, great messages all around (especially the one during the last scenes) and with a brilliant and vibrant score, it never fails to entertain. The best part is the kid´s dragon. They really nailed it with its design. Such a beautiful, complex and visually appealing creature. Probably the best animated film of the last 10 years.
  24. Oct 26, 2010
    i love some of theese CGI kids films . i shouldnt eveen call it that it should be referd to as a family film because like shrek people of all ages can enjoy theese films . its a fun little story about a viking town who fight dragons and a young kid names hic up who want to be a dragon slayer but doesnt have the build or stomach for it . its very well voice acted i thought the guy who didi love some of theese CGI kids films . i shouldnt eveen call it that it should be referd to as a family film because like shrek people of all ages can enjoy theese films . its a fun little story about a viking town who fight dragons and a young kid names hic up who want to be a dragon slayer but doesnt have the build or stomach for it . its very well voice acted i thought the guy who did hic up did a great job . he was very funny and fit the charicter perfect . the action and camera shots where amazing i wached this with my neices and nephews and they where just wowed by it as was i . great film probubly best of the year. Expand
  25. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just when I thought recent animated movies would be stuck in a pit of suckiness for the rest of eternity, this lovely movie came along. Humerus as well as entertaining, Jay Bruchel and America Ferrera light up the screen with their acting abilities as Hiccup and Astrid, who make an unlikely pair, while Hiccup befriends a cute but dangerous dragon. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2014
    How to Train Your Dragon is an emotional and funny tale about a friendship that's charming and genuine. Combine this with beautiful animation, some magnificent flying sequence, and a fascinating final battle, and you've got one of Dreamworks' best films.
  27. Jul 8, 2013
    Having watched this film first on DVD, I sure wish I didn't. With its stunning scenes, its wonderful script, and surprising depth, "How to Train Your Dragon" truly is in itself a winner. While its story tangles with the "Aladdin", "Avatar", and several of other tales told before, the story still shines with its wonderful creative spin off of its book series. With several more positivesHaving watched this film first on DVD, I sure wish I didn't. With its stunning scenes, its wonderful script, and surprising depth, "How to Train Your Dragon" truly is in itself a winner. While its story tangles with the "Aladdin", "Avatar", and several of other tales told before, the story still shines with its wonderful creative spin off of its book series. With several more positives than negatives to the story, its a fun and new tale to everyone. Expand
  28. Dec 11, 2011
    Albeit the lack of originality, "How to Train Your Dragon" has a clever and funny story, emotional impact and good messages to its target audience. And it is the best DreamWorks animation since "Shrek".
  29. Sep 9, 2015
    Although it has a few cliches and the beginning is rushed (sort of), but this is all in all a great movie with emotional and funny scenes. Not all the characters are memorable, though.
  30. Apr 7, 2015
    how to train your dragon is a good film. the reason way the father and son thing works in here and not other movies is because the father goes back and father like a normal person. and is not just ignoring this son.
  31. Jul 26, 2015
    5/5★ Combining all the right elements, HTTYD offers beautiful animation, edge of seat action sequences and a compelling message. The characters aren't one note and their world is bursting with colors and detail.
    How to Train Your Dragon is about an intelligent boy and his best friend, which happens to be a fierce dragon, who questions the status quo. He rebels against the accepted view and changes it.
    Verdict: Enjoy!
  32. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 9.25 out of 10. Great animation. Action sequences can be pretty great. Story is also well crafted. Score is epic, and the acting is quite well done. Highly recommend.
  33. Dec 21, 2010
    Based on a novel with the same name, writer William Davies was able to turn this kids story into a touching and deep first-class screenplay that is really rare for Dream Works. Hiccup, voiced by the devastating and believable Jay Baruchel, is a weak and low self-esteem little boy who lives in a world of Vikings. His dad and his friends, all around him, their life mission is to kill dragonsBased on a novel with the same name, writer William Davies was able to turn this kids story into a touching and deep first-class screenplay that is really rare for Dream Works. Hiccup, voiced by the devastating and believable Jay Baruchel, is a weak and low self-esteem little boy who lives in a world of Vikings. His dad and his friends, all around him, their life mission is to kill dragons and Hiccup is expected to do the same. Going through training and a lot of trying, Hiccup was not successful. Instead of killing dragons, Hiccup decided to read books on the dragons and found out they are not that bad. The belief was brought on after Hiccup met a dragon, who was considered the most dangerous dragon and did not try to eat him. This created a interesting but predictable twist for the audience to eat up on. Hiccup named his "friend" Toothless. Months go by as Hiccup trains his dragon friend Toothless to fly since he was injured when Hiccup found him. Throughout the training, their relationship begins to build and we see that Hiccup is falling in love. The writer really wanted us to cry at this point because Hiccup's friend Toothless was discovered by the town people and he's being killed by them. At the end, we know that dragons aren't as bad and Vikings shouldn't be killing them. This really looks like Disney's work because the message and the tone of the film is based on being friends and nice and all. At first, I thought this was not Dream Work's work, but after checking up on it, I was surprised. This looked more like Disney's cheesy work than Dream Work's. How To Train Your Dragon is classy, funny, kid-friendly, and intelligently scripted. It is one of the best films of the year.
    OscarBuzz: Best Animated Feature, this will go head to head against Toy Story 3. Even though Toy Story 3 definitely has a lead, if it didn't win, How To Train Your Dragon would snatch the Oscar.
    Though I didn't mention the 3D, be assured that Avatar will be jealous to see this film in 3D.
  34. Oct 16, 2010
    The best Childrens movie since Finding Nemo. I loved every second of it. I was so enveloped in it i swear to god i wanted to adopt Toothless. And the ending does not disappoint at all. The only thing that bugged me was this story is serious, and they named the main character Hiccup? Whatever the movie completely overshadows that.
  35. Jun 22, 2013
    How to train your dragon may sound like a ridiculous title to give a movie, but this surprisingly is very entertaining. The story of a boy trying to fit in with his rather violent background is not anything new, but is somewhat refreshing to hear in this light. Some of the great things this film has to offer are some pretty visuals; the flying sequences are a spectacle in 3-D, which hasHow to train your dragon may sound like a ridiculous title to give a movie, but this surprisingly is very entertaining. The story of a boy trying to fit in with his rather violent background is not anything new, but is somewhat refreshing to hear in this light. Some of the great things this film has to offer are some pretty visuals; the flying sequences are a spectacle in 3-D, which has always been great for most dreamworks productions. Again the story may be old, but I still personally like it. Finally the relationship between the father and son, it has some levels if depth; for instance the father tries to appreciate his son, but just can't because he's not good at what everybody else can do. Then there's the stuff that doesn't really fly with me (hehe). The main does have an annoying voice at times, but that may have been intentional. Finally the supporting cast. They're not that well developed, a barely new them aside from simple character traits like: he's the hot shot, they're the troublemakers, he's the nerd, and she's the love interest. Anyways, this still a fun enjoyable movie, and I do wonder about the sequels. Expand
  36. Jun 1, 2016
    How to Train Your Dragon is one of that movies they have enough cliches, but for strange reasons they really work. The way to tell the story is interesting and amazing. Nothing is showing current currency or current phrases or something, shows how supposed to be in the age of the Vikings. Besides the designs of the characters and dragons they are very interesting and realistic and theHow to Train Your Dragon is one of that movies they have enough cliches, but for strange reasons they really work. The way to tell the story is interesting and amazing. Nothing is showing current currency or current phrases or something, shows how supposed to be in the age of the Vikings. Besides the designs of the characters and dragons they are very interesting and realistic and the script is well written and counted as much as the animation. If I had one problem is the villain dragon that appears in the third act. I did not understand why and then he eats dragons and attacks the Vikings, I think it really did not deserve a villain dragon for the last act. But still, How to Train Your Dragon is another Dreamworks film very original and fantastic for those who love Dragons and the Vikings Expand
  37. Oct 13, 2014
    A film so enjoyable it feels like it has the stamp of Pixar on it. The main character is kinda' wimpy and feels like a re-hash of a certain character we've seen before, but it does distract the story, cool visuals, and some of the best flying scenes you'll see in a movie.
  38. Sep 2, 2011
    Best animated movie made by Dream Works.
  39. May 12, 2014
    I remember around the time this movie was being made I was already reading the original How to Train Your Dragon book and when I read it, I really enjoyed the story of the book; but when I saw the trailer for this film adaption, I was not pleased because it looked like it had a totally different story from the book and it did; however when I saw it in theaters I highly enjoyed it. Sure itI remember around the time this movie was being made I was already reading the original How to Train Your Dragon book and when I read it, I really enjoyed the story of the book; but when I saw the trailer for this film adaption, I was not pleased because it looked like it had a totally different story from the book and it did; however when I saw it in theaters I highly enjoyed it. Sure it has a totally new story with only a few elements from the books, but the action and emotional height and creativity that went into this film was great and I would recommend it. Expand
  40. Jan 17, 2015
    Although the third act felt somewhat rushed, How to Train Your Dragon is one of the few animations that can resonate with children and adults. The animation is beautiful, the characters are well-developed and likable, and Hiccup is just the most damn relatable character ever.

8.6/10
  41. Oct 4, 2010
    I went to this film with very high expectations, after reading glowing reviews, and although it was not the masterpiece I thought it would be, it still proved to be a fun rollercoaster of a ride. It is not better than 'Shrek', 'Shrek 2', or 'Kung Fu Panda', and still doesn't compare to most Pixar films, but the flying action sequences and scenes shared by the hero and his dragon as theyI went to this film with very high expectations, after reading glowing reviews, and although it was not the masterpiece I thought it would be, it still proved to be a fun rollercoaster of a ride. It is not better than 'Shrek', 'Shrek 2', or 'Kung Fu Panda', and still doesn't compare to most Pixar films, but the flying action sequences and scenes shared by the hero and his dragon as they build upon their unlikely relationship make it well worth watching. There was definitely heart to this film, just not being as touching as Pixar's latest two films 'Up' and 'Wall-E'. Expand
  42. Feb 6, 2012
    Awesome. Dragons and vikings. Story is brilliant and CGI also. Well done Dreamworks! Usually Pixar is my preferred CGI Company but this movie is superb. i like :D
  43. Oct 2, 2010
    Probably the best animated movie i've seen yet. With a simple but very witty storyline, greatly designed characters, amazing graphics, this movie has it all. I think it's a big must-see for everyone.
  44. Mar 15, 2011
    The Avatar for kids -- How To Train Your Dragon is brilliantly written and both charming and suspenseful, whilst being gloriously animated in breathtaking 3-D.
  45. Sep 1, 2014
    “How to train your dragon” is the story of a furious dragon, Toothless, and a genius dragon fighter, Hiccup. Dragons constantly raid Hiccup's town, steal the live stock, and set the houses on fire. Hiccup's father is leader of the town, a legendary dragon fighter, and Hiccups role model. Hiccup craves to be like his father but he lacks the essential skills to fight dragons. He is clumsy,“How to train your dragon” is the story of a furious dragon, Toothless, and a genius dragon fighter, Hiccup. Dragons constantly raid Hiccup's town, steal the live stock, and set the houses on fire. Hiccup's father is leader of the town, a legendary dragon fighter, and Hiccups role model. Hiccup craves to be like his father but he lacks the essential skills to fight dragons. He is clumsy, cowardly, and weak. Still he relentlessly practices to become a dragon fighter even though nobody takes him seriously.

“How to train your dragon” is the story of a young boy searching for his identity; searching for who he wants to be and how to become it. It is a story of perseverance. It shows when traditions and conventions are hindering you, they should be changed or abandoned. When Hiccup fails to become a dragon fighter by following the traditional and conventional methods, he questions their authenticity, meticulously examines them, refines them, or even completely rejects them and devises new unorthodox ways. The myths fascinate him in the fantasy world but do not blind him in the real world.

“How to train your dragon” is full of sublime messages and themes but it is not a heavy handed movie for the elite. Quite conversely, it is an extraordinarily fun movie to watch, a movie that even toddlers can enjoy. The graphic design is phenomenal, soundtracks are captivating, dialogues are fluid and seamless, and it has a remarkable story to tell. This is indeed one of the best achievements in the history of animations.
  46. Jun 1, 2016
    I love this movie, i really do
    Brilliant characters, good action, drama and comedy, a beautiful animation and a clever script
    It's one of those movies that, thank god, it isn't childish even if it is animated
  47. Nov 8, 2010
    How to train your Dragon was a great movie!

The plot was brilliant and I thought this was a heart warming film because if you think
    about it a boy and a friendship with a dragon is nice.

The action sequences were great, there were some moments where I chuckled a bit!

All in all great movie!
  48. Mar 17, 2012
    This movie is amazing and is filled with crisp animation. It is funny and is filled with some great punch lines. I have watched it about five times. Also the special effects are great and I loved all of the movies. Next, this movie is filled with depth and the script is great. I couldn't believe it was actually a kids movie. All parts of it were fantastic and I call it the best movie every.
  49. Jan 7, 2012
    Possibly the greatest kids movie in a very long time. Absolutely charming, stunningly beautiful, and perfectly satisfying. This is the sort of family movie that actually does what the genre says and appeals to the whole family. I loved it.
  50. Feb 19, 2011
    A solid movie that both adults and kids should enjoy. It's no Pixar film, but the plot is entertaining, albeit predictable.
  51. Mar 20, 2011
    My favorite animated Dreamworks movie is Shrek 2, but How To Train Your Dragon is officially a very close second. I'd say it's more like a first-and-a-half. Pixar is still the animation powerhouse, but Dreamworks has been doing very well. Stereotypical (yet likeable) characters and a predictable story didn't hurt this one at all, in my opinion. I loved Toothless (the Dragon). He didn'tMy favorite animated Dreamworks movie is Shrek 2, but How To Train Your Dragon is officially a very close second. I'd say it's more like a first-and-a-half. Pixar is still the animation powerhouse, but Dreamworks has been doing very well. Stereotypical (yet likeable) characters and a predictable story didn't hurt this one at all, in my opinion. I loved Toothless (the Dragon). He didn't utter a single word, yet I could see every emotion that went through his mind. And Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) was a fine lead. There was nothing extremely inventive in his looser-becomes-hero character, but I still liked him alot. I pretty much liked everything else about this one too. Gerard Butler would be just as good a Viking in live action, as he was in this one. It was just like King Leonidas put on a few pounds. And I have to mention Craig Ferguson. I watch his late night show every once in a while, and the guy is hilarious. I loved seeing (well technically hearing) him in a good movie. If there happens to be a sequel (like that would ever happen), he better be there. Like I mentioned before, the story is a bit cliche, but it was still a fun, heart warming tale. I loved how this movie leaned more towards drama and action, than comedy. That really made this a unique experience to me. The 3D was beautiful too. It was more like Avatar's, with depth. Finally a 3D animated movie that doesn't throw stuff at you for an hour and a half! This story would be amazing in any D, but if you can, go see it in 3D. It really accentuates the digital effects perfectly. I cannot say enough how much I loved it, and I'll definitely be picking a copy up when it comes out. Expand
  52. Jan 16, 2013
    "How to Train Your Dragon" excels visually and creatively. Although I would change the ending a bit in order to pack an emotional punch, you can not deny the raw beauty of animation and visuals when you see them. Truly a gem of animated features.
  53. May 31, 2011
    A fantastic film. The story is fabulously original, with a strong supporting cast of actors. The actors are always on the ball with how the line should be delivered. The animation quality is top notch, and the designer of toothless knows exactly how to create the worlds cutest fire breathing monster. The film was a masterpiece of modern animation, and well worth your money.
  54. Sep 3, 2014
    The first DreamWorks film that surpasses Pixar in terms of emotional depth and visual quality, How To Train Your Dragon could arguably be the best animated film of all time. With a mature, thoughtful plotline, stunning animation, and timeless characters, this feature rises out of the 'children's animation' genre. And let's not forget John Powell's absolutely breath-taking soundtrack, whichThe first DreamWorks film that surpasses Pixar in terms of emotional depth and visual quality, How To Train Your Dragon could arguably be the best animated film of all time. With a mature, thoughtful plotline, stunning animation, and timeless characters, this feature rises out of the 'children's animation' genre. And let's not forget John Powell's absolutely breath-taking soundtrack, which adds that extra dimension to a marvellous movie. A must-see for all the family. Expand
  55. Oct 21, 2010
    This movie made me feel, like really, really good. A really awesome movie even beyond the scope of Animated flicks. For instance this shows how a real Krakken would look like and in action, instead of the brief glimpse we had in Clash of the Titans lol. Loved the wide variety of crazy dragons and vivid animations. I mean Toothless would be able to even tame King kong! Who wouldn't fallThis movie made me feel, like really, really good. A really awesome movie even beyond the scope of Animated flicks. For instance this shows how a real Krakken would look like and in action, instead of the brief glimpse we had in Clash of the Titans lol. Loved the wide variety of crazy dragons and vivid animations. I mean Toothless would be able to even tame King kong! Who wouldn't fall for that creature? The voice acting was, kind of, not that top knotch. Bottomline, one of the best Animated features I've seen. Expand
  56. Dec 19, 2013
    This movie is a cult classic. Some dark things happen in this for a kids movie, but that's why it's so awesome. This was one of the best animated films, if not the best animated film of all time
  57. Aug 10, 2014
    This is just a wonderful little film. It's everything it needs to be. My absolute favourite favourite animation to date. The details in Toothless' eyes and the different shades and types of fire, beautifully done! I'm sure I could pick on certain things, but for this type of film and what it tries to achieve, I think it's pretty damn perfect!
  58. Jul 30, 2015
    Very fun and entertaining. Good watch for all the family. I just wish it was more like the books. Good job fox.
    I would recommend for everyone to watch!
  59. Nov 16, 2010
    Although this is a kid's movie i can guarantee that almost anyone who see it will just fall in love with it. Good overall cast, very likable characters and a story that really draws you in. I really wish i had a dragon now.
  60. Jan 7, 2011
    Do you remember Stitch ? Well, our dragon has his face. And that is a good thing! Many times during the movie I was amazed how they blended the "cute" dragon with a living beast. It's so believable. OK - I admit I simply like the dragon :) The presentation is easily the best 3D I've seen so far and although the story is a bit predictable, still a solid 10 for me.
  61. May 20, 2012
    An entertaining tale on how a Viking boy befriends a dragon. Fantastic visual effects, and proberly the only film I have seen where I have actually liked the 3D. Well worth a watch 10/10
  62. Feb 21, 2012
    This is a fantastic movie coming from Dreamworks Animation. Everything's well done, from the story to the cinematic presentation. The characters are easily liked. Great movie for adults and children alike. If you have kids, this is one movie you wont mind sitting down and watching it with them from time to time.
  63. Dec 25, 2012
    I remember watching this in the theater and enjoying it, but just watched it again tonight, and it was sooooo much better than the first time. Probably because it was in 3D the first time, and all we are watching are for the affects! An absolutely brilliant film, and I have to say that after watching it tonight it is now one of my favorites of all time. Just a wonderful story. And theI remember watching this in the theater and enjoying it, but just watched it again tonight, and it was sooooo much better than the first time. Probably because it was in 3D the first time, and all we are watching are for the affects! An absolutely brilliant film, and I have to say that after watching it tonight it is now one of my favorites of all time. Just a wonderful story. And the final scene in which Hiccup realizes he's missing part of a limb, and the dragon whisks him away...beyond touching!!! Will watch this over and over!!! Expand
  64. Mar 27, 2016
    I cannot stress this enough. This is THE Greatest Movie of All Time.

I cannot stress this enough. This is THE Greatest Movie of All Time.

I have long been a fan of the amazing book series by Cressida Cowell. It was a huge part of my childhood, and many moments were spent inside my English class reading books from 'How to be a Pirate' to 'How to Speak Dragonese', often to the odd looks of my classmates, most of whom were reading Doctor Seuss or thinly veiling the fact that they were playing Snake on a Nokia phone. No, the books were amazing.

By the time the film came out, I knew full-well that a film is never as good as its book. I wasn't sure I was ready to have my childhood ripped open and experimented upon. Seeing the trailers made me ask, "where's Toothless", as the numerous redesigns had evidently removed the tiny Terrible Terror-sized dragon in exchange for a much larger specimen. Heck, would they even speak Dragonese in this film? I vowed not to watch the film, and from the cinema came no urge to watch what could easily destroy my childhood.

However, I had just moved into a new neighbourhood, and when a parent at my school offered me the chance to watch it with her children, I could not refuse. Walking a minute down the road, I arrived in time to see the disk get sucked into the machine... I was ready.

Dreamworks, the creators of masterpieces such as Shrek and... Well, that was pretty much all I knew of at the time. I felt as if the disjointedness of Shrek would simply leak into the world of HTTYD, and that all I knew would be changed. I was wrong.

From the first scene, my head was dragged in all different directions. Hiccup, Gobber, Stoick, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, Snotlout et al. filled the screen, and the narrator told a new story I had never heard before. Not only was I captivated - I was enjoying it.

As I watched on, the beauty of this Dreamworks piece fully dawned on me. From the epic score of John Powell to the artistic excellence employed by the animators and artists, I could not get over how different it was, but in a good way. Heck, I even got used to Toothless being the size and colour of a panther, one thing I thought I could never get over.

Enough of my own nostalgia, though. In actuality, it is a gorgeous piece.

The voice acting from the likes of Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson was exquisite. I had never thought of vikings as Scottish, but it works. Even the little cameos of David Tennant, which, in regular re-watchings, I point out to my friends, seem to work. Jay Baruchel, a Canadian, seems to portray Hiccup perfectly, from the whiny, nerdy tones to bouts of anger and sadness, his vocal contours paint the way for a beautiful movie.

In terms of animation, no-one may complain. The individual emotions of every character are laid out expertly, and the mark of truly great animation, being able to tell a character's thoughts and feelings just from posture, truly does stand out. The care taken in animation is evident even in the tiny disappearing dragon tail in the final scenes, or the flickering of a candle flame in the wind, and the character design is brilliant. Unlike some other movies I wouldn't care to mention, the main characters look nothing like each other, offering a bright, varied cast to feast the eyes upon.

Finally, probably one of the greatest parts of this movie, the music. John Powell is a musical genius. I could happily watch How To Train Your Dragon as a music video for his expertly crafted score. Forbidden Friendship, Test Drive, This Is Berk and the now famous Romantic Flight all scream 'perfection'. Adding to this, Jónsi's wonderful Sticks and Stone, playing just at the very end, makes for a beautiful, even fantastic, ending to a beautifully fantastic movie.

The screenplay, by the legendary Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders (Writers for Lilo and Stitch) is an epic tale of misunderstanding and reconciliation, with the ending a masterful stroke. I'll leave you to find out for yourself.

All in all, if you have watched it, I can't see any reason not to love it, and if you haven't watched it, buy it now, sit back with a few hours to spare and get the whole family ready. I implore you, do it, and you will not be disappointed.
  65. Sep 3, 2010
    Great flick ever animated so far 2010. I do say that i didn't watch it in 3D, but hey, it still counts! Well done Dream-works, may continue to out stand your fellow fans!
  66. Nov 3, 2010
    How to Train your Dragon gives you all the reasons to fall in love with kids adventure movies over and over again. It portrays the perfect blend of adventure, family sentimentality and finding one-self.
  67. Feb 12, 2011
    Rather brilliant, full of real emotion and wonderful breathtaking setpieces. Music is sublime, the animation is beyond beautiful and as an all round package ,one of the best animated movies of the year. Take the hint Dreamworks, more movies like this!
  68. Apr 29, 2011
    This is a nother one of my faves. :) Mainly because I love dragons, especily the night fury.:) This is a veary good movie, next 2 Eragon and Percy Jakson. :)
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    This is by far the best Animated Movie of 2010 and certainly DreamWorks Magnum Opus. Visuals are perfect, acting is top-notch, and the music is awesome. And of course the story hits you on emotional level that surpasses even some Pixar films. Highly Recommend. Also OFF TOPIC, the Metascore should be way higher. There are a lot of other reviews that would've boosted the score if theyThis is by far the best Animated Movie of 2010 and certainly DreamWorks Magnum Opus. Visuals are perfect, acting is top-notch, and the music is awesome. And of course the story hits you on emotional level that surpasses even some Pixar films. Highly Recommend. Also OFF TOPIC, the Metascore should be way higher. There are a lot of other reviews that would've boosted the score if they actually included them. This website can be EXTREMELY biased sometimes. Expand
  70. Jun 12, 2014
    This is in my top 5 favourite animated films of all time. The story, the characters, the relationships, the pacing, the atmosphere, the soundtrack; everything is near perfect. A film that can be rewatched a hundred times and still retain its emotional resonance. Definitely a classic to be remembered.
  71. Sep 16, 2014
    An emotional, but great movie, capturing the importance of trust and friendship and how it can bring peace to different populations. Favorite animated movie so far!
  72. Mar 19, 2011
    Absolutely loved it. The 3D was amazing, as was the animation. The score was beautiful. Script was smart & funny. And oh how adorable was that dragon?! I love how Dreamworks are paying homage to genres with love rather than parodying them with hate. I thought it was just as good as Toy Story 3!
  73. Feb 19, 2011
    The movie didnt really match up with its trailer. Its really interesting n the story is amazing never been used before. 3D makes it look upto its best visuals. The various dragons used were perfect n all wer diff which makes da story even more exciting. The only predicament the boy faced was not only to win his fathers blessings but also to defeat da biggest dragon were he scores a gf nThe movie didnt really match up with its trailer. Its really interesting n the story is amazing never been used before. 3D makes it look upto its best visuals. The various dragons used were perfect n all wer diff which makes da story even more exciting. The only predicament the boy faced was not only to win his fathers blessings but also to defeat da biggest dragon were he scores a gf n his fathers proudness. Dats ol. Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2012
    best dreamworks movie ever!!!!!!!!!!! Fun, funny, witty, wonderful animated all what movie need to be Love viewing:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  75. Jun 27, 2012
    de las mejores peliculas de animacion q eh tenido la oportunidad de ver, los efectos visuales son impresionantes, al igual q la animación, quede flipando con esta pelicula
  76. EvanP
    Apr 1, 2010
    Definitely better than the average Dreamworks picture. It's great story telling at its finest. The visuals were phenomenal and the characters were memorable. All wrapped together with an incredibale score. I haven't been this involved in a movie in a long time.
  77. EricC
    Apr 3, 2010
    What an awesome movie!!! If you ever dreamed of what it would be like to be a Dragon fighter... or be a viking... or be a Dragon.... then you have to see this film. And if not... if you've ever caught yourself wishing they still knew how to make good movies...then you have to see this film.
  78. JamesH
    Apr 5, 2010
    DreamWorks Animation is on a roll. Kung Fu Panda was my favorite animated movie last year, and now "How to Train Your Dragon". This is probably the best looking computer animated movie I've ever seen. Really excellent 3D as well. My only small criticism is that the theme of the movie is similar to Kung Fu Panda (and many other animated movies). The protaganist doesn't fit in DreamWorks Animation is on a roll. Kung Fu Panda was my favorite animated movie last year, and now "How to Train Your Dragon". This is probably the best looking computer animated movie I've ever seen. Really excellent 3D as well. My only small criticism is that the theme of the movie is similar to Kung Fu Panda (and many other animated movies). The protaganist doesn't fit in with the rest of society and comes out on top at the end. I hope they change the theme and do something original and creative for their next feature then they will be on par with Pixar. Collapse
  79. Susan
    Apr 5, 2010
    Loved it. Best film I've seen in 3D. I was charmed from start to finish.
  80. RandyM.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Simply put: "How to Train Your Dragon" is a spectacular, heart-warming thrill ride. This movie rocked.
  81. TaylorD.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Absolutely Incredible. Emotional and awe-inspiring the first fly scene gave me goosebumps.
  82. ThomasH
    Apr 2, 2010
    Superb, best film I've seen for a good few years, excellent story, emotional and brilliant. A must see.
  83. AndrewR
    Apr 4, 2010
    Absolutely amazing! Some of the best visuals from a CGI movie! It is perfect for kids and adults and offers something for everyone. Go see this movie before it is too late!
  84. NickJ
    Apr 4, 2010
    Charming. A simple plot, but done in a way that was so amusing that it worked. I enjoyed watching Toothless in action, from flying to simply running around.
  85. AaronW.
    Mar 26, 2010
    Truely amazing, this movie is the first good non-Pixar CGI animated film since Kung Fu Panda (which also got a 73). It is a true marvel, and the main dragon, Toothless, really tops it off with his cute/action packed nature. It is a charmer, yet also filled with tons of action and an in-depth story that truely is not something to be missed.
  86. MichaelH.
    Mar 26, 2010
    This was totally awesome. The title is the only weak part of it. If you think that this is just some run of the mill coming of age story, it's not. It's got depth, emotion, tension, and realistic voice acting. The effects are breathtaking, but it's clear from the start that that's not why they made this movie. Two thumbs WAY up!
  87. ChadS.
    Mar 27, 2010
    How do you tell a story that doesn't get overwhelmed by special effects and video game-inspired action sequences, especially in a hyper-commercialized movie culture climate where the studios who finance these spectacle-driven films have such comtempt for moviegoers? Narrative is on life support, but The Wachowski Brothers were pushing it when they literally filmed a video game with How do you tell a story that doesn't get overwhelmed by special effects and video game-inspired action sequences, especially in a hyper-commercialized movie culture climate where the studios who finance these spectacle-driven films have such comtempt for moviegoers? Narrative is on life support, but The Wachowski Brothers were pushing it when they literally filmed a video game with the 2008 mega-flop "Speed Racer", so maybe narrative isn't completely dead, and the audience, not completely braindead. The moviegoing public obviously thinks that "Avatar" is the gold standard, the template for melding technology with story, but the "Dances with Wolves" ripoff, arguably, lacks a truly compelling protagonist. Not only is Jake upstaged by the Na'vi natives, but the fake fauna and flora, as well. While "How to Train Your Dragon" is heavy on action and employs the artistically bankrupt(and cheesy) 3D process, the filmmaker knows how to tell a stirring action-adventure story(which just happens to be animated), while remaining commercially viable. The moviegoer has somebody to root for. Hiccup(Jay Baruchel) is the classic square peg: an intellectual, who in some cruel circumstance of fate, lives with the great unwashed in the most unlikeliest of settings. "How to Train Your Dragon" is something akin to "Lucas and the Vikings". (A moment of silence for the late Corey Haim.) Through empirical observation and having an innate aversion towards killing, the scrawny Viking aces the dragon training program with his brains, not brawn. He sees the world from a different perspective, which the film then literalizes when Hiccup and Astrid(America Ferrera) take flight on Toothless' back, where the two children share the same point-of-view as their people's sworn enemy. Looking down on the hamlet from the sky, the children undergo a rite of passage more profound than their daily lessons in warfare. Both boy and girl, especially the boy, realize that they've surpassed their parents. Stoick the Vast(Gerard Butler), Hiccup's father, doesn't have all the answers. With more subtlety, "How to Train Your Dragon" echoes the Kevin Costner film too, as the Viking and the dragon find a common ground despite their shared history of violence. Since the film has drama, humor, and most importantly, a humaneness, the culminating action doesn't whizz across the screen with the usual disconnect to our emotive senses. Like "E.T.", heck, like even Corey Haim, nobody wants to see the dragon, or the boy, die. Expand
  88. ZachM.
    Mar 28, 2010
    This movie seems different than most dreamworks movies. The plot is very simple, and not much happens. But for some reason, this is perfectly okay, and it fits the movie. The movie is so fun and pretty to look at that it doesn't need to be really deep and complex. This just seems like an interesting side-project for dreamworks, and it's a great movie for kids and adults.
  89. RickA
    Mar 30, 2010
    I liked this movie a lot. Had every thing I like in a movie. Action, emotion, very good story line, great acting (animation inspired), voiced to perfection. I must say from the title I was not expecting much. What a surprisingly excellent movie.
  90. JonW
    Apr 1, 2010
    Just ignore all the negative New York reviews - what a surprise! - It's wonderful, great storytelling, visuals and message.
  91. JW
    Apr 2, 2010
    This movie blew me away... somebody has been watching Pixar's movies and taking very close note.
  92. EthanR
    Apr 3, 2010
    From the first time I saw the previews for this movie, I thought it would be good. I expected it to be a funny movie with dragons (which are awesome) with a decent plot to boot. When I first saw it however, I was blown away by it's near perfect blend of humor and story. The plot, which is fantastic, if not amazingly original or groundbreaking, comes first and foremost, with the humor From the first time I saw the previews for this movie, I thought it would be good. I expected it to be a funny movie with dragons (which are awesome) with a decent plot to boot. When I first saw it however, I was blown away by it's near perfect blend of humor and story. The plot, which is fantastic, if not amazingly original or groundbreaking, comes first and foremost, with the humor working it's way in naturally. This is not one of the latest shrek movies with dragons by any extent, it's a movie with a great story with a comedic flair, not see how many laughs we can get in an hour and a half. The flight scenes are breathtaking and have just the right amount of action, the coming-of-age, fitting in story is touching, and the excellent humor is worked in so that it feels completely natural and not spamed. I've honestly been searching for something to complain about in this movie, but after two viewings my only solid complaint is that I wish I could spend more time in this breathtaking world. Expand
  93. MitchR
    Apr 5, 2010
    A simple film with a simple story. Every little piece is done perfectly creating a powerful film worth seeing.
  94. JennaF.
    Mar 26, 2010
    Adorable, emotional, and fun to look at.
  95. WayneA.
    Mar 27, 2010
    My vote for Film of The Year so far.... I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to buy a 3D TV in time for its Blu-Ray release! A must see!
  96. JamieC
    Mar 28, 2010
    Perfect! Beautiful animation, great story, characterization and dialogue, good choice of actors for the voices, just overall a great film. Don't wait, see it now in 3D!
  97. AdityaU.
    Mar 28, 2010
    Great movie, graphic is top-notch, i very like a scene when Hiccup fly alongside Astrid
  98. BobN.
    Mar 29, 2010
    How to Train your Dragon was a great, interesting movie. If you're looking for a family friendly movie, this is a movie to watch. This movie also includes the thrilling scenes people want to watch. The creatures in this movie are very interesting.
  99. OrenK.
    Mar 29, 2010
    this is a very good movie. Is it not like all the other movies that dreamworks has made in the past years. The 3d is also very good.
  100. IanB
    Mar 31, 2010
    Fantastic movie. Kids loved it. Wife loved it. I loved it. If taking a family of five to the movies wasn't so expensive, we'd have gone a second time. I can't believe some of the professional critics are scoring it so low. It was a great movie.

1. An exciting, fun and sensationally entertaining movie for everyone.
  2. Rouses you in conventional ways, but it's also the rare animated film that uses 3-D for its breathtaking spatial and emotional possibilities.
    Works enough miracles of 3-D animation to charm your socks off.