I Am Love

7.1

1. Jan 26, 2011
    A very elegant and stylistically crease-less film that starts slowly and builds up to a powerful crescendo. Tilda Swindon is sublime as both a Russian woman of passion and a ice cold woman from Milan.
  2. Jan 9, 2011
    Beautifully shot and beautifully acted, this oftentimes surprising drama is a fine look inside a large European family. It did seem clear that style was placed above substance though.
  3. Aug 12, 2011
    Sumptuous and beautifully imagetic, it sometimes goes too slow but that's probably necessary for you to appreciate its particular atmosphere. There are a lot of vulnerabilities and intricate webs to explore in I Am Love.
  4. Mar 27, 2011
    Exquisite film. Every frame is full of beauty and meaning, so that you feel completely enraptured in it. This film is deeply sensual, very beautiful and quite moving. It does suffer from a melodramatic ending, slightly hampering the whole experience, but on the whole a captivating piece of art with a grand performance from Tilda Swinton.
  5. May 24, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this film but admit that it requires a considerable suspension of disbelief. A euro-hippy story of filthy rich Milan housewife who falls for a mere chef (but he's a good cooker with a cute walk). Major consequences ensue (of course). That this would never happen in real life is true (probably) but in a way that's the point: Love like this is impossible and therefore must be seized at any cost. Composer John Adams consented to the use of his music after the film was already filmed. It's very emotional music and fits the film beautifully. Interesting subplot involving newly-out lesbian daughter. Note Tilda on the toilet and maid sobbiing with joy. Ok, the whole shebang is utterly ridiculous but if you can just approach it as sound and vision and unlike anything you've seen before you'll love it too. Crazy coda with newly absconded couple apparently living in a cave runs for awhile next to the closing credits. As insane as David Lynch but sunnier: Love wins. Expand
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    The simple elegance of the Jil Sander clothing Tilda Swinton wears throughout I Am Love is not analogous to the filmâ
  7. Nov 15, 2010
    I was blown away by this film. The scenery, the music, and the acting were superb. It is beautiful like few films are these days. I just wish that the film hadn't felt the need to fall into soap operatic cliches, especially in relation to a few of the supporting characters.

Highpoints: The gorgeous opening credits; the triumphant closing scene. Lowpoints: a plot that sometimes favors the melodramatic over the subtle.
  8. Jan 31, 2011
    Watching "I am Love" feels like flipping through magazines; a splash of 80s "Architectural Digest", forever missed "Gourmet" and as many italian fashion magazines as you can think of. Within all its glam and glum there is a plausible story line, one that feels real and moving if Tilda Swinton is in the scene. However whenever she is not around, especially when the movie strays into theWatching "I am Love" feels like flipping through magazines; a splash of 80s "Architectural Digest", forever missed "Gourmet" and as many italian fashion magazines as you can think of. Within all its glam and glum there is a plausible story line, one that feels real and moving if Tilda Swinton is in the scene. However whenever she is not around, especially when the movie strays into the Recchi family business, the weak male casting makes the movie feel outdated, and somewhat generic - a pile of old "newsweek"s you wish to get rid of! cliches unfortunately do not end there, some of the side plots simply dilute the impeccable work Tilda Swinton (TS) has done throughout the movie.

Special note for two actresses playing Tilda Swinton's servant and mother in law. Both were phenomenal, they helped both TS and the movie to excel.
  9. Sep 19, 2010
    When her daughter's passion splays beyond the expected, Emma Recchi (Tilda Swinton) hovers hummingbird-like. In a heartbeat, she could revert to her motherly role. Instead Swinton's plunge into passion and sensuality reveals her parched soul in Luca Guadagnino's breathless, primal drama I Am Love.

John Adams' urgent, insistent soundtrack quickens as Emma's household prepares for the birthday dinner of the family patriarch. Russian born but long ago married into the noble Milanese clan of Tancredi Recchi, Emma seems detached. She is pretty and attentive. During dinner, she listens dutifully. Her villa is run flawlessly by maids and butlers. Her grown children are beautiful and sensuous. Like any successful wife, Emma embodies the familyâ
  10. Dec 17, 2010
    This is a movie for adults who are a little bit more curious and wiser than most in the movie-going audience. That's too bad, really, because Tilda Swinton between this movie and "Julia" has given us two of her very best performances. If she isn't nominated for Best Actress in this role, it'll be a travesty, she's just that good in it. I love movies that treat sexuality with the patienceThis is a movie for adults who are a little bit more curious and wiser than most in the movie-going audience. That's too bad, really, because Tilda Swinton between this movie and "Julia" has given us two of her very best performances. If she isn't nominated for Best Actress in this role, it'll be a travesty, she's just that good in it. I love movies that treat sexuality with the patience and thoughtfulness it deserves, rather than just throwing it in for effect. "I Am Love" is going to finish very high on my list of the best movies of the year. Expand
  11. Nov 8, 2010
    Absolutely mesmerizing film! Rich complex dynamics to ponder, disciplined acting (Tilda Swinton has scope and breadth seldom seen), visual feast! Watch the directors commentary with Swinton and you get even more. The movie sent me on a research quest to learn more about the setting, the villa, the characters, the music, etc. I agree with the comment that they needed to bring us moreAbsolutely mesmerizing film! Rich complex dynamics to ponder, disciplined acting (Tilda Swinton has scope and breadth seldom seen), visual feast! Watch the directors commentary with Swinton and you get even more. The movie sent me on a research quest to learn more about the setting, the villa, the characters, the music, etc. I agree with the comment that they needed to bring us more into the story of her past and why she was so responsive to passion. But, still one of my favorite all time movies. Expand
  12. Jan 3, 2011
    A magnificent film. The story, performances, and score are often sumptuous and grandiose. And with good reason: the intent is lush and emotionally absorbing storytelling. It completely worked for me. The climax of the film, really the last 20 or so minutes and through the credits were as good as anything this year.
  13. Apr 5, 2014
    This is a beautiful, graceful film and Tilda Swinton gives an extraordinarily radiant performance as Emma. In the beginning, the dreariness of her privileged married life is communicated by a muted palate of monochromes and beige shades but as her love affair develops the colours become brilliant, she appears strikingly in an orange dress. It is a subtle film, her position as an outsiderThis is a beautiful, graceful film and Tilda Swinton gives an extraordinarily radiant performance as Emma. In the beginning, the dreariness of her privileged married life is communicated by a muted palate of monochromes and beige shades but as her love affair develops the colours become brilliant, she appears strikingly in an orange dress. It is a subtle film, her position as an outsider in her own family is expressed by the occasional comment of her mother-in-law and a tension shown in conversations around the table. Expand
  14. Feb 6, 2015
    I would give this film a 10 for beauty: fashion, food, art, architecture, and filming style. Some of the acting is also a 10 (Emma, Ida, the mother in law). The film falls short though in telling a compelling story and many of the characters are completely flat.

1. An ambitious film, and Guadagnino deserves praise for the risks he takes here.
  2. Reviewed by: Damon Wise
    A stately, rich and moving Italian melodrama in the spirit of Visconti.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Weissberg
    In every sense, I Am Love is a stunning achievement.