6.0

1. Mar 26, 2011
    If you didn't know, I Am Number Four is a movie based on a book. You would think that there would be a nice story and lore behind the cool action. There isn't thought. This movie never makes up it's mind if it wants to be a cool action flick, or a drama film, and it ends up falling short on both ends. The action scenes are too few and far apart to hold the movie together. The story never really gets going and leaves so much unanswered. The main character being an alien is an excuse to not explain most of the plot points. The story is also filled with that cheap, overused 20-something year olds acting like they're in a fictional high school setting stereotype. Bullies that induce physical violence? Check. Nerds with no self esteem? Check. Main character that FIST PUMPS AFTER KISSING A GIRL? Check...

The movie could have been a lot more, but stopped short. You only get to see two of the nine aliens' cool powers, and the story leaves many more questions than answers. Minus points for devoting an entire scene to walking away from an explosion.
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    As you suspect, D.J Caruso's "I am Number four" is the usual Michael Bay movie where he pays for the production fee and messes around a good idea into a terrible one using explosions and random plot twists. If your GF or BF really wants to watch it, by all means watch with them. But either than that, don't even think about picking this film up.
  3. Mar 21, 2011
    Good movie, but contained all the signs of a high school movie; the geek, the jock and the sweetheart who made the mistake of dating the jock, really guys give us something new.
    The action was really predictable, hopefully there would be no sequel.
  4. Feb 24, 2011
    Lame on so many levels. The premise sounds cool enough: a teenager is actually an alien, who's being persued by evil creatures. However, it's full of trite high school drama (bullies, cute girl, nerd friend), the effects aren't impressive and the action is noisy and jumbled. By the end, it's looking like a Disney-channel series (with potential sequels). The only saving grace is Alex Pettyfer, an up-and-coming new prettyboy star. (You already know the number score.) Expand
  5. May 10, 2011
    One would think that with a budget of several million dollars, it should be possible to make at least a decent movie. I wouldn't be able to say anything positive about this one. Real bad acting, horrible dialogue, a story that is plain boring, and the bad guys, I swear I have seen those faces in at least four other movies.
    What is the purpose of making these movies ? If you buy a car these
    days, any car, it is really quite impossible to buy a really bad car. There is a certain standard. With movies, it doesn't seem to be that way. Expand
  6. Feb 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am Number Four es una película con un final muy abierto, y que buscar parecerse a otras películas. Sin dudas que su personaje principal es un chico que en todo momento, tiene un papel de querer hacerse el canchero. No es mas que una película pasajera, y mal actuada, con un par de efectos especiales lindos pero que dejan mucho que desear a la hora de creerlos. I am Number Four es una película poco convincente. Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2011
    Not As Advertised.

That is to say, when you see the trailers they are almost exclusively from the last 30 minutes of the movie, making it look like it is going to be this awesome alien sci-fi flick... Sadly this is false advertising as it turns out you spend most of the movie dealing with a by-the-numbers boring teen romance movie, trying to be the next Twilight.
  8. May 11, 2011
    i really do not know why some users are so generous with their scores,because this movie clearly does not deserve an high score. The movie,jumps right from point a-point c without even bothering to explain how it got to point c and this movie really really needed more action scence,but it looked like they were saving it for the sequel,there by leaving us with a movie that's too shallow to pack any real punch. Also the bad guys were just too weak that i wondered why n_o 4 had been running in the first place rather than fight. This is definitely a half baked movie and should be avoided if possible Expand
  9. Feb 25, 2011
    The action in this movie was very entertaining, but that is about all this movie had going for it. The acting was really, really bad, particularly the main girl love interest, as well as the protector of the main character. The main character was somewhat interesting, and had a bit of development through the movie. The romance part was completely pointless as were several of the characters. Plot-wise it could have been a much more interesting movie but the target audience was obviously teen. Collapse
  10. Feb 18, 2011
    This film should be titled "I Am number Two". Twilight was not all that good, and this is a bad attempt at a copy of that model. The male lead seriously needs to take some acting classes.
  11. May 25, 2011
    i thought i was gona be waching a intresting sci fi action movie when i rented this and what i got was a Twilight rip off for the most part with alittle action at the end . its a very sterio typed film where the acting is barely passable and the plot is about as intresting as waching a plant grow for 90 min. the ending sets it up for a sequel wich god willing will never happen.
  12. Feb 18, 2011
    I Am Number Four is the most stupidest movie that I ever seen and it's really,really,really bad. What a waste of film for putting some effort that Michael Bay that promises will be good,but no it really sucks just like the rest of the films that are bad,even Transformers 2!
  13. Jul 2, 2012
    Another subpar sci-fi action flick (Michael Bay's influence is clear) that further lowered my interest in the genre. Perhaps the script, as well as the film as a whole, was held back by Walt Disney Studios' constraints, but even so this is a film that targets kids younger than those portrayed in the film. The underlying teen romance subplot is unnecessary and totally holds back the flow of the film. As stated by a few critics, Bay has attempted to ride of the success of Twilight and other teen love films by incorporating those elements into a mostly action/sci-fi oriented film, but he's come up short. Timothy Olyphant is the most talented member of the cast, and it shows - but given the overall poor acting this isn't really saying much. It's a nice looking film, with impressive visual effects and passable cinematography, but neither of these elements can hold up a film on their own, and I can't help but feel that more of what was obviously a huge budget should have gone towards signing on more experienced actors. I Am Number Four is an effective film in that it will appeal to it's target demographic, but anyone outside that will likely end up pretty disappointed. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2012
    I Am Number Four is so much better than Twilight because it doesn't come off as awkward. And the whole movie is perfectly made without plot-holes or any plot bumps anywhere. It has decent effects and Alex Pettyfer didn't really get how to act in his character until the last 30 minutes, but it was Dianna Agron who was the only one who got it right. I hope a new installment comes out even if it didn't do well at the box-office because I think we have a new franchise that could save us from Twilight and the second will be a lot better. Oh yeah the villains were kind of cheesey.All of this leads up to one of the weakest finales. With no tension just pointless explosions and no resolution. I give this film 28%. Expand
  15. Aug 21, 2012
    Very rarely will I stop watching a movie I have never seen before. I Am Number Four is one of those movies that doesn't really start, never picks up, and 40 minutes in I end up being more interested in my cat playing with a random piece of fluff on the floor.
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    Twilight met Transformers and they had an ugly mutant baby who's come to wreak havoc on our theaters. Kill it! Kill it before its too late!
  17. May 31, 2011
    I am the number four, it is of these movies that they they all remember for being extremely bad, with such a frightful script and the music, the actions, the photography, the direction they stop much that to wish (or rather much that to hate)
  18. Jun 13, 2011
    I stopped watching this film half-way through. There was nothing of value to hold on to in order to see the results. The characters were cliche and seemed like the film was aiming for a "twilight" or "harry potter" vibe. It is nothing compared to those films. If you're looking for a teenage sci-fi - try something else.
  19. May 31, 2011
    More Michael Bay than ever. Why we need romance for this disappointing action flick? The really good point is number six, Teresa Palmer. How about we change the title to 'I Am Number Six'?
  20. Jun 10, 2011
    It was entertaining......but just that. Maybe it is because of my age (50's). Wished I would have seen it before I purchased it. I wouldn't have bought it. It did occupy my time though.
  21. Jun 16, 2011
    I was really dissapointed when I saw this movie. I thought it would be action packed and at least fun to watch, but it turned out different. The characters are over-cliched, the story is uninteresting, and all the action comes at the last half hour of the movie (thought there are soem plot holes and confusing events). The ending implies that there is a sequel (wich makes sence, because this film is based off a book series), but I hope the next one doens't get made. Or, if it gets made, at least keep the silly teen-romance drama out of it and focus on the aliens and the shoot-outs. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2013
    Watched I am Number Four last night about one-fifth in, turned it off and got rid of it this morning. The premise where a teenager turns out to be a sort of warrior/prodigy who has to be protected from aliens by a stern, older man who is some sort of ancient warrior just isn't interesting. Especially not with the Hollywood teenage drama thrown on top of it. Yeah, we get it. Pretty-boy has special powers, has a hard time at school and he likes pretty girls. This movie also strikes me as very homo-erotic, despite the pretty girl. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just had a weird undertone. I thought I'd be watching a science-fiction movie but instead I was served an MTV-production with a guy who shoots light out of his hands. (Hilarious scene, though. You'd think someone would have told him that at some point his body would start doing weird things No super power-ed in America?) only recommended if you love teenage drama or recently had a lobotomy. Can you believe this movie had a 50-million-dollar budget? Expand
  23. Aug 24, 2011
    This movie is the reason Hollywood suck.
    It´s basically a twilight movie for guys and is built after the exact same concept.
    The problem is that it has 0 originality, mysteries boy meet pretty girl and for some reason they cant be together and fight against all odds, etc.... It makes you wanting to puke on the writers.
    The biggest reason I probably hate these kind of
    movies is that the acting is so bad that you hate the characters and wish they will die so the movie will end.

GhostSniper, I wouldn't be surprised if the Justin Bieber movie is better.
  24. Dec 11, 2011
    Based on a cliched but really enjoyable story by Pittacus Lore, the movie adaptations doesn't even try to make justice to its source material. It seems that the only purpose on this mindless action flick is smirching the names of everyone involved on it. Shame on you, Michael Bay!
  25. Aug 23, 2011
    Vous aimez Smallville et Twilight? Vous aimerez sans doute Numéro Quatre de D.J. Caruso (réalisateur des réussis Paranoïak et L'Oeil du Mal). Malgré une mise en scène soignée et des effets spéciaux convaincants, le film ne brille pas du tout par son scénario (trop classique et composé que de clichés du genre), son manque de rythme flagrant (on s'ennuie souvent), sa bande orginal trop poussée et ses acteurs discrets (ils nous livrent le strict minimum pour la plupart). Juste divertissant... Expand

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Feb 26, 2011
    If you can make it through the bland schmaltz of the first half you'll be rewarded with a spectacular blast of sustained action and the promise of even better to come. This could be the start of something great.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 21, 2011
    The recycling goes as deep as the dialogue, which is a mangled and blended refrain of clichés.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    Feb 21, 2011
    Four is so cobbled with bits of other sci-fi and comic-book movies, there's little to distinguish it.