7.1

1. CJMorris
    Dec 11, 2007
    WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An undeniable classic that captures the times. Expand
  2. JohnY.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Absolutely bonkers; this film is not going to make money because it literally slams the audience with a sledgehammer (you'll see what I mean). But still, it's got enormous ambition, a wonderful cast (with a surprise performance from Wahlberg), and is a welcome departure from the boring stuff normally out in the market.
  3. JoeSchmoeR.
    Oct 8, 2004
    The current 53 rating for this film is dumbfounding. This is one of the most original, audacious, and funniest comedies I've seen in a long while. Highly recommended.
  4. JaneA.
    Oct 1, 2004
    This film is wonderfully funny. It's clever and dry and brilliantly absurd. You must see it.
  5. JerryH.
    Oct 2, 2004
    A very funny film with great acting throughout the cast (save a certain cameo). I wish there were more films like this one. Go see this film so more like it can be made. Well done David O.
  6. HeatherO
    Jun 16, 2005
    Some may say this movie is mearly a series of funny, but disconnected and confusing scenes. I say to those people: did you see the scene with the blanket?
  7. DanB.
    Oct 10, 2004
    It was really funny. Weird, slapstick violent, cartoony, and "deep". I have no idea if the deepness is coherent or if it ties together to make sense - but it is funny.
  8. JoeM.
    Nov 10, 2004
    Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything in this world, sometimes it?s the Buddha; sometimes it?s not. I can?t wait for the DVD to come out so that I can watch this movie over and over again (but I?ll have to wait just the same). Expand
  9. ok
    Oct 10, 2004
    How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell into that category and Huckabees outdoes that one by a long shot. Brilliant, hilarious, and INCREDIBLY well acted (Oscar for Marky Mark?), I Heart Huckabees is the best major studio flick I've seen all year. Collapse
  10. MikeyG
    Oct 2, 2004
    If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of questions of oneself. Expand
  11. AjA.
    Oct 22, 2004
    Original in every way. I expected some serious ideas would be presented but it is the humor that suprised and the wonderful structure which all this fell under that gave this film a certain genius. I would expect that people would either love it dearly or hate it madly. A sign it is all good. Memorable as an experience.
  12. JB
    Oct 25, 2004
    Absolutely fantastic. I give it a 10 to offset the people who are so closeminded and absurdely over-reactionary just because they didn't understand the movie. Please go see this.
  13. RetroH
    Oct 9, 2004
    I snickered my way through this one.
  14. johnn.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Fun & quirky & interesting- great music too.
  15. KevinE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    At least Hoffman left his typical s***-eating grin at the door for this one. The casting is brilliant. Talky, but that's the point. I'm sure it will sail over the heads of the 'fly-over states' audiences. If you love Lily Tomlin then this is a truffle of a performance for you. Wry, ironic, clever - just what you might expect from David O. Russell.
  16. AaronF.
    Mar 18, 2005
    Well-written, humorous, and somewhat philosophical.
  17. seand
    Mar 8, 2005
    If you didn't learn anything from this, your an idiot!
  18. chrism
    Apr 2, 2005
    Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't than this might just become your favorite movie. Expand
  19. KeirS.
    Sep 24, 2005
    Superb.
  20. DustinS.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Madly and refreshingly paced so not a scene, line, or even word is wasted in this mind-bending farce that had me giggiling and astounded. What a wonderful surprise -- I was astonished that so many critics were down on a film with so many tremdous actors giving tremendous performances. Every character delighted and every scene tingled with energy. This movie was so brisk to not allow a Madly and refreshingly paced so not a scene, line, or even word is wasted in this mind-bending farce that had me giggiling and astounded. What a wonderful surprise -- I was astonished that so many critics were down on a film with so many tremdous actors giving tremendous performances. Every character delighted and every scene tingled with energy. This movie was so brisk to not allow a minute of boredom-- at times laugh out loud funny. Must see! Expand
  21. JekX.
    Nov 6, 2004
    I forgot the question ¿%
  22. DavidL
    Oct 17, 2004
    I'm not sure how many of these reviewers actually saw the film. It's absolutely brilliant and the score couldn't have been better.
  23. MichelleR
    Oct 17, 2004
    I don't handout many 10s, but this one is worth it. Don't go to it if you like the formula most movies follow. Outside of the box and hilarious. If you liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you might like i heart huckabees. if you saw Human Nature and found it amusing but sort of shallow character-wise, my money is you'll like this movie.
  24. JaneA
    Oct 18, 2004
    Really wonderful and hilarious and brilliant.
  25. BillW.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Brave, funny and sweet. Puts virtually every other big-studio comedy of the last year to shame.
  26. AliceZ
    Oct 23, 2004
    I don't really understand why the critics gave this movie such bad reviews. I thought it was very funny, very smart, and so much better that most of the garbage that gets made. If you want something different, go see this. You won't regret it.
  27. ChadS.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's Mark Wahlberg, as a fireman, is even more hysterical if you've already seen "Ladder 49". There's a fire, and he's watering the... There's a fire, and he rides... After 9/11, we've elevated the firefighter to superhero status, and rightly so, but everybody deserves to be lampooned sometimes. "I Heart Huckabee" is for those of you who liked Richard Linklater's "Waking Life", but wished there was a story to dramatize your metaphysics. Naomi Watts steals this movie. She has the most memorable headwear since Samantha Morton in "Sweet and Lowdown". Expand
  28. KerithP.
    Oct 6, 2004
    So absolutey weird it's brilliant. mark wahlberg was hilarious. lily tomlin, superb.
  29. JamesM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Any synopsis makes this movie sound like a pretentious bore ("existential detectives?" give me a break!), but in fact it turned out to be one of the smartest and (surprise!) most humane comedies of the year. David O. Russell proves that he, not Kevin Smith, is the Preston Sturges of our time.
  30. tonybob
    Oct 23, 2005
    I loved this movie so much i couldnt stop laughing everytime i watch it it gets funnier it never plays out. i think this is the most underrated movie this year. mark wahlberg was halarious everytime he's on the screen i cant stop laughing.
  31. AnthonyM.
    Jan 25, 2005
    Almost as funny as "Flying High 1&2" and "Toy Story2." It is definttely ORIGINAL. I never seen a movie like this. The directorship and acting are unique!
  32. JeremyD.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Brilliant! Not a good movie for many people because it's certainly not mainstream. Witty, quirky, odd, with a bit of philosophy thrown in. Great acting.
  33. GregG.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Lily and Dustin are absolutely fantastic together. Mark is a great one man circus. Jason and Jude pull up the short end of the acting spectrum, but they are sustainable since the film is such a great ride. A daring endeavor, simply good fun.
  34. MikeE.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Well as you can see....love it...or hate it. If you like big Hollywood blockbusters like Armageddon or other massive pieces of crap, then avoid this movie like the plague. If you have even an ounce of inner questioning or relate to the total mystery of why you're alive...you'll love this flick.
  35. Adam
    Mar 17, 2005
    I really don't understand the negativity about this movie ... I walked in to the theatre half expecting a bunch of pretentious half-witted blahblahblah. What it is is a totally fun, occasionally manic, caper. Lily Tomlin is the soul of this movie and Marky Mark is the heart. Dustin Hoffman is great too. Schwartzman is a little too sweet for my taste, but he works. Seeing Jude Law I really don't understand the negativity about this movie ... I walked in to the theatre half expecting a bunch of pretentious half-witted blahblahblah. What it is is a totally fun, occasionally manic, caper. Lily Tomlin is the soul of this movie and Marky Mark is the heart. Dustin Hoffman is great too. Schwartzman is a little too sweet for my taste, but he works. Seeing Jude Law puke mayo totally redeemed him in my book. Just see this movie and have fun; then see it again and think (but just a little). Expand
  36. BradS.
    Mar 21, 2005
    Refreshing movie that is actually about something real, or is it?
  37. BrentL
    Mar 23, 2005
    Seeing the movie once makes you laugh. Seeing it again makes you think. Seeing after that makes you act.
  38. eric
    Apr 1, 2005
    Probably one of, if not the best, comedy of the year. gets better with each viewing, too.
  39. alan
    May 23, 2005
    A movie that holds the cynics in such comtempt, while lecturing those that give too much of a sh.t about life. the movie's momentum keeps building until you look forward to the inevitable resolution in the last half hour. such an absurd exercise in character, design, and writing, that it may be a little too polarizing, but if you can go with it, t's a wonderful thing to watch.
  40. JoeA.
    Nov 12, 2004
    I think I went into this movie expecting too much. I was hoping for a little more from the Hoffman/Tomlin angle. Wahlberg and his character is a pure riot. You gotta like that this movie was made in the first place.
  41. SteveB.
    Nov 17, 2004
    I went in expecting sophormoric discussions of philosophy, but it wasn't anything like that. I even put it off until a Monday night so I wouldn't feel like my weekend was ruined if it was terrible, but I wish I'd gone on a Saturday. Paid $9.25 to see it; would have paid about $15.
  42. BillyC.
    Nov 6, 2004
    A laugh-out loud movie with a wacky plot and great performances. The main characters are caught in existential angst and call on the experts...Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman. The movie's angst and silliness calls to mind the early, funny Woody Allen films. While it may not always be clear where the plot is going, the acting by Jude Law, Jason Schartzman, Mark Wahlburg, Tomlin, A laugh-out loud movie with a wacky plot and great performances. The main characters are caught in existential angst and call on the experts...Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman. The movie's angst and silliness calls to mind the early, funny Woody Allen films. While it may not always be clear where the plot is going, the acting by Jude Law, Jason Schartzman, Mark Wahlburg, Tomlin, Hoffman, and Naomi Watts is great. I thought Jude Law's performance was amazing. His face was a wonder to watch with all of its smirks, smiles, and shrugs. Expand
  43. danielh
    Oct 16, 2004
    I loved this movie, although it's not for your average joe. If you're in the Julia Roberts realm of movies, you'll hate it. I really enjoyed thinking and pondering ideas in a film. Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman were hilarious.
  44. Dan
    Oct 19, 2004
    A glass of water in insane times.
  45. Derek
    Oct 22, 2004
    It was a bit too "talky" and incoherent at times, but overall pretty entertaining.
  46. JedD.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This film has a great premise, wonderful actors and several incredible scenes. But one is left without proper resolution and without further development. What happened to the Jason Schwartzman's questions about the coincedences? With all of the build up for it we are left with nothing. Also as the film was wrapping up I felt as though I was not ready for the wrap up and needed more. This film has a great premise, wonderful actors and several incredible scenes. But one is left without proper resolution and without further development. What happened to the Jason Schwartzman's questions about the coincedences? With all of the build up for it we are left with nothing. Also as the film was wrapping up I felt as though I was not ready for the wrap up and needed more. Despite the few problems I had with the film it is still one of the best hollywood films of the year. Expand
  47. DianeD
    Oct 29, 2004
    There is no remainder in the mathematics of infinity.
  48. FabienL.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Very much in line with "Rushmore" or "the aquatic life..." Great cast, great acting jobs, very pleasant.
    Jan 25, 2005
    This movie is great!!! i thought the story on it was better then almost every other movie i have seen this year. it is a funny movie that i watch over and over. i recomend this to anyone who liiked gardenstate.
  50. ShanekwaP.
    Feb 25, 2005
    I think this is the best film of the year (sideways was great too). americans dont like to be challenged; and this wasnt that challenging of a movie, just smart. we are so used to watching movies based on video games and amusement rides, I fear theyll give an oscar to a commercial accidentally one of these years. walhberg--you can't beat that performance, and if you dont like that I think this is the best film of the year (sideways was great too). americans dont like to be challenged; and this wasnt that challenging of a movie, just smart. we are so used to watching movies based on video games and amusement rides, I fear theyll give an oscar to a commercial accidentally one of these years. walhberg--you can't beat that performance, and if you dont like that you could stare at Watts instead. its sad that we cant recognize a good use of film when we see it. Expand
  51. JanisT.
    Mar 23, 2005
    A funny, and stimulating movie. I loved it. It's definitely one of a kind.
  52. ShaunM.
    Dec 5, 2006
    My all time favorite movie. Smart. Funny. Generally amazing.
  53. CharlieN.
    May 17, 2006
    Brilliant, original, and hilarious!
  54. ChristianP.
    Dec 28, 2004
    I really enjoyed this movie. With the multitudes of film in the last few years, all aimed at mindless teens, I was glad to see a film that asked bigger questions and caused one to think.
  55. Jun 26, 2011
    This film manages to convey interesting philosophies while still achieving its ultimate goal which is to be hilarious.Jason Schwartzman and Mark Wahlberg share some great scenes as do Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman.It's funny and compelling in equal measure

1. Despite the unique premise and some truly inspired casting, the picture remains stuck in an existential rut of its own.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ultimately, Huckabees doesn't work. But it sure does stimulate. This is just the kind of "failure" we could use plenty more of.
    Huckabees is the real thing--an authentic disaster--but the picture is so odd that it should inspire, in at least a part of the audience, feelings of fervent loyalty.