I Heart Huckabees

7.1

1. PatC.
    Mar 12, 2007
    Excellent movie on a cerebral level, and proof that genuine creativity is still possible in Hollywood. Too bad the film is structurally weak. The convolutions of the thought processes presented spill over into the plot presentation - just a little too much to juggle on the fly. And sure, it's a comedy, but the music mocks the content. End result: Less than the sum of its parts.
  2. CJMorris
    Dec 11, 2007
    WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An WARNING: this movie is NOT for a general audience like all books are not written for one person, etc. If you like philosophy and ideas, this is as good a dramatization as has been realized on screen. That's Russell's real achievement here. As for the cast, score, design, etc. it's terrific. Well done, Mr. Russell. This film has a heart and a voice that is infinite. An undeniable classic that captures the times. Expand
  3. JoeB.
    Feb 9, 2007
    If you like the Life Aquatic and Napoleon Dynamite you're probably the sort of person that would like this movie. If like me, you thought those movies sucked, then you should avoid this one, too. In short, this is the sort of movie that is so off the wall it divides people into two groups - one that claims to "get it" and belittles those who are too immature to understand it, and If you like the Life Aquatic and Napoleon Dynamite you're probably the sort of person that would like this movie. If like me, you thought those movies sucked, then you should avoid this one, too. In short, this is the sort of movie that is so off the wall it divides people into two groups - one that claims to "get it" and belittles those who are too immature to understand it, and another group that realizes there is no sense to be found in the movie and there are only a few cheap laughs to be had. Expand
  4. JohnY.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Absolutely bonkers; this film is not going to make money because it literally slams the audience with a sledgehammer (you'll see what I mean). But still, it's got enormous ambition, a wonderful cast (with a surprise performance from Wahlberg), and is a welcome departure from the boring stuff normally out in the market.
  5. JoeSchmoeR.
    Oct 8, 2004
    The current 53 rating for this film is dumbfounding. This is one of the most original, audacious, and funniest comedies I've seen in a long while. Highly recommended.
  6. JaneA.
    Oct 1, 2004
    This film is wonderfully funny. It's clever and dry and brilliantly absurd. You must see it.
  7. JerryH.
    Oct 2, 2004
    A very funny film with great acting throughout the cast (save a certain cameo). I wish there were more films like this one. Go see this film so more like it can be made. Well done David O.
  8. JohnS.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Good idea but so poorly executed - exactly like so many other poorly conceived movies these days. I feel sorry for so many people that think this is quality filmmaking, they should probably be reading more and watching less TV. Do yourself a favor and read a book instead.
  9. HeatherO
    Jun 16, 2005
    Some may say this movie is mearly a series of funny, but disconnected and confusing scenes. I say to those people: did you see the scene with the blanket?
  10. Can
    Sep 21, 2005
    This lazy movie asks you to blindly accept the philosophy presented, while criticizing you for blindly accepting what you already believe. You can't have it both ways. I might have been o.k. with the concept had the film actually contained some entertainment. No, it's just preaching to the choir, or alienating anybody who's not in that particular choir.
  11. DanB.
    Oct 10, 2004
    It was really funny. Weird, slapstick violent, cartoony, and "deep". I have no idea if the deepness is coherent or if it ties together to make sense - but it is funny.
  12. JoeM.
    Nov 10, 2004
    Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything Best Movie that I've seen in years. It is defiantly not for everybody; it does not speak down to the least common denominator. Not everybody will understand this movie; the viewer must have had a glimpse of enlightenment. This movie is about becoming the Buddha and then coming back to Earth. It deals with extremely serious ideas, but it doesn?t take itself seriously. Like everything in this world, sometimes it?s the Buddha; sometimes it?s not. I can?t wait for the DVD to come out so that I can watch this movie over and over again (but I?ll have to wait just the same). Expand
  13. Jennifer
    Oct 11, 2004
    Worst film of the year as it was completely disjointed.
  14. ok
    Oct 10, 2004
    How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell How "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" can be unanimously praised and this move can receive anything short of a perfect score absolutely baffles me. There are movies that aren't as smart as they think they are (13 Conversations, Happiness, even the decent Waking Life) and then there are movies that are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Collateral, in my opinion, fell into that category and Huckabees outdoes that one by a long shot. Brilliant, hilarious, and INCREDIBLY well acted (Oscar for Marky Mark?), I Heart Huckabees is the best major studio flick I've seen all year. Expand
  15. MikeyG
    Oct 2, 2004
    If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of If Naomi Watts isn't wearing skimpy outfits in this movie, the rating goes down to a 6. However, given the interesting concepts presented, the solid acting, the hilarious Mark Wahlberg, and the cool visual effects, this movie warrants a viewing even if you're one of those people, like one of the characters in the movie, that doesn't wanna have to ask certain types of questions of oneself. Expand
  16. AjA.
    Oct 22, 2004
    Original in every way. I expected some serious ideas would be presented but it is the humor that suprised and the wonderful structure which all this fell under that gave this film a certain genius. I would expect that people would either love it dearly or hate it madly. A sign it is all good. Memorable as an experience.
  17. JB
    Oct 25, 2004
    Absolutely fantastic. I give it a 10 to offset the people who are so closeminded and absurdely over-reactionary just because they didn't understand the movie. Please go see this.
  18. Larry
    Dec 6, 2004
    Just plain out sucked as evidenced by the poor box office receipts. Avoid.
  19. GloriaL
    Oct 8, 2004
    The acting was good, but the plot was stupid. I stayed in the theatre, because I hoped I might be missing something in the way of a point to the plot. This was the worst film I have seen this year.
  20. RetroH
    Oct 9, 2004
    I snickered my way through this one.
  21. johnn.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Fun & quirky & interesting- great music too.
  22. KevinE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    At least Hoffman left his typical s***-eating grin at the door for this one. The casting is brilliant. Talky, but that's the point. I'm sure it will sail over the heads of the 'fly-over states' audiences. If you love Lily Tomlin then this is a truffle of a performance for you. Wry, ironic, clever - just what you might expect from David O. Russell.
  23. Mitch
    Dec 4, 2005
    Philosophy 101 gets boring after about 30 minutes. Great cast, top notch talent all around, but squandered.
  24. JohnP.
    Mar 15, 2005
    This movie sucked so hard i couldn't believe this came from the same people who did Flirting With Disaster. People say the plot didn't make sense. For me, i understood it and i still hated it. Worst movie that i saw of 2004.
  25. AaronF.
    Mar 18, 2005
    Well-written, humorous, and somewhat philosophical.
  26. seand
    Mar 8, 2005
    If you didn't learn anything from this, your an idiot!
  27. chrism
    Apr 2, 2005
    Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't Either you get it or you don't. You can choose by the reviews whether you'll want to watch it or not. Let's see the WSJ and Washington Post hated it, what's that say to you? Oftetimes the movie isn't easy, but the rewards come in the second act. It gets hillarious in the end. If you thought Royal Tennenbaums was laugh out loud funny, which most people don't than this might just become your favorite movie. Collapse
  28. KeirS.
    Sep 24, 2005
    Superb.
  29. TomS.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Horrible.
  30. FrankO.
    Feb 2, 2006
    I just could not get into the theme of this movie. I have enjoyed all of David Russell's previous flicks but NOT this one. I like the visual effects but not the plot line.

1. Despite the unique premise and some truly inspired casting, the picture remains stuck in an existential rut of its own.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Ultimately, Huckabees doesn't work. But it sure does stimulate. This is just the kind of "failure" we could use plenty more of.
    Huckabees is the real thing--an authentic disaster--but the picture is so odd that it should inspire, in at least a part of the audience, feelings of fervent loyalty.