5.9

1. Jul 14, 2012
    This movie is 50/50 for me,this is a big impovement on the third one who was very bad,but continental drift is in any other respect a very big mess that blue sky made to be a box office hit.
  2. Jul 13, 2012
    Ok, the movie is better than the third part, have some great moments. The animation is cool. But the big problem in this movie is the trama, is good, but the development is boring in some moments, and in some parts I feel that I watch a Michael Bay's movie. Is better than the third part, but is owrst than the second and the first, and yeah, is worst than Madagascar 3.
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    Ice Age doesn´t improve on anything. This is a series of movies that have locked themselves to be merely good enough within each release, never really trying to push boundaries, and with Continental Drift this is more evident than ever. I knew completely what to expect from the beginning and by the end I got exactly that. Some few laughs with the squirrel and a whole lot of nonsenseIce Age doesn´t improve on anything. This is a series of movies that have locked themselves to be merely good enough within each release, never really trying to push boundaries, and with Continental Drift this is more evident than ever. I knew completely what to expect from the beginning and by the end I got exactly that. Some few laughs with the squirrel and a whole lot of nonsense and that is it. I got to admit that I had little more faith going into this one given that more characters were going to be introduced, a whole group of pirate animals to be exact. This could have opened this Ice Age into fresher territory with more character development, but the truth is that no pirate really develops. One opportunity for example relies on the fact that the two saber tigers, Diego and the girl, were falling in love, but any tease of what the animals may be feeling is left just like that, a tease. They end up together but is hard to tell in what disposition because there relationship is developed in a matter of roughly 5 minutes. So what does Continental Drift means? It means more of the same. A new entry that once again relies on the like-able trio of Mammoth, tiger, and sloth, and off course the lonely squirrel. At is most, it is entertaining and in some parts undeniably funny, but overall this one is pretty forgettable. Expand
  4. b3_
    Jul 14, 2012
    Having seen the Ice Age series thus far I knew what to expect. The film is obviously aimed at children and families. For this audience it is family friendly (of course the little 'life lessons'), fun and entertaining. Like the past films I moderately enjoyed it, but will forget it quickly. As an adult viewer it doesn't offer me anything more than a few laughs and a positive feeling by the end.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    Another year, another ICE AGE film. There is really nothing new here, and the success of this franchise baffles me. Kids find it funny, the animation is nice, but the series never has the charm of say, Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar.
  6. Nov 25, 2012
    from the first scene i could guess all the story!characters are so stereotype and nothing in all those happenings make sense at all.bad characterization and i event think some of them were extra and also useless.most of them exist in the story line just physically(most of them Ellie).humors mostly not very funny and a lot events in the movie didn't help the advance the story.but with allfrom the first scene i could guess all the story!characters are so stereotype and nothing in all those happenings make sense at all.bad characterization and i event think some of them were extra and also useless.most of them exist in the story line just physically(most of them Ellie).humors mostly not very funny and a lot events in the movie didn't help the advance the story.but with all these i still have to say the animation itself was good(the graphic and sounds). Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2012
    Actually I do not have any complaints about this movie but somehow it's six year old kids movie. It has charm and eye-candy animation but it suffer confused script. Sorry Scrat, this time for Granny, she rocks!
  8. Jan 27, 2013
    I don't know why a fourth Ice Age movie was made. I loved the first three movies, but this one fell short of my expectations. I laughed a couple of times, but I could have gone without seeing this movie.
  9. Jul 27, 2012
    Would the world come to an end if I didn
  10. May 24, 2013
    I do not hate Ice Age 5. It has good morals, the four main likeable characters, and some good laughs. However, this is weakest Ice Age film. There are way too many characters forcing the writers to come up with things for every else to do while Manny, Sid, and Diego battle the pirates out at sea. There are potential plot lines for the movie such as Sid dealing with his family or MannyI do not hate Ice Age 5. It has good morals, the four main likeable characters, and some good laughs. However, this is weakest Ice Age film. There are way too many characters forcing the writers to come up with things for every else to do while Manny, Sid, and Diego battle the pirates out at sea. There are potential plot lines for the movie such as Sid dealing with his family or Manny dealing with his daughter Peaches and her having to fit in. However, these plot lines are either ignored or poorly written providing a lot of stuff that has been done before. There are new characters but none of them are likeable or interesting. Plus, the film tries to be hip with teenage mammoths who have crazy hairstyles and has a bad musical number. All of these elements come together to form a meh film that is the worst of the franchise. Unless you are a little kid or a fan of the films, then this is a definite skip. Expand
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    As is the fashion these days with these films there is a lot of moralising going on and a lot about the importance of family. I don’t usually have a problem with this, but in this film it was so ‘in your face’ that I felt it got in the way of the story. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the other ‘Ice Age’ films, probably because it has lost all the charm the characters had in the earlierAs is the fashion these days with these films there is a lot of moralising going on and a lot about the importance of family. I don’t usually have a problem with this, but in this film it was so ‘in your face’ that I felt it got in the way of the story. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the other ‘Ice Age’ films, probably because it has lost all the charm the characters had in the earlier films. On the plus side, Peter Dinklage did make for a very intimidating and threatening advocacy. I guess it wasn’t until about the last 20 minutes that I began to warm to any of the characters, but by then it was far too late. Time to put the franchise to rest guys. I’ve probably been a tad to generous with my score, it’s because Sid does make me laugh!

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (Just)

My score: 5.7/10
  12. Dec 15, 2012
    Ice Age 4 may be the funniest film of the entire series and the animation is the best yet, but it has a story that has become very predictable just within the first half hour. Also, the film has become too crowded with characters and lacks development for many of them. Even so, some moviegoers may still like the adventures here. Just know that there is not much to keep this installmentIce Age 4 may be the funniest film of the entire series and the animation is the best yet, but it has a story that has become very predictable just within the first half hour. Also, the film has become too crowded with characters and lacks development for many of them. Even so, some moviegoers may still like the adventures here. Just know that there is not much to keep this installment feeling new. Expand
  13. Dec 3, 2012
    It was a solid adventure and Peter Dinklage was a great villain and Jennifer Lopez was suprisingly rather solid as Shira and I really liked Wanda Sykes as Granny but I absolutely hated Drake, Nicki Minaj, and KeKe Palmer in this movie. They were simply an awful fit. Also, I love how there are mammoth children but only 2 adults, Sort of a fail on their end. Honestly, I think the Herd's sideIt was a solid adventure and Peter Dinklage was a great villain and Jennifer Lopez was suprisingly rather solid as Shira and I really liked Wanda Sykes as Granny but I absolutely hated Drake, Nicki Minaj, and KeKe Palmer in this movie. They were simply an awful fit. Also, I love how there are mammoth children but only 2 adults, Sort of a fail on their end. Honestly, I think the Herd's side of the story was good but the story with Peaches and the rest of the group was just weak and brought down the movie. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2012
    the ice age series has in my opinion, always been a good series of movies, and this movie does not fail to keep its reputation up. however, it just didnt get me hooked on the story, so im giving it a 6
  15. Aug 31, 2013
    If you have watched the previous three you might as well watch Continental Drift, though you will know exactly what to expect. Producing a third sequel is an indicator of how successful the franchise has been but also underlines how dependent studios can be to roll-out another sequel, devoid of too much development, for a guaranteed return. Anyway that's not Continental Drift's fault.If you have watched the previous three you might as well watch Continental Drift, though you will know exactly what to expect. Producing a third sequel is an indicator of how successful the franchise has been but also underlines how dependent studios can be to roll-out another sequel, devoid of too much development, for a guaranteed return. Anyway that's not Continental Drift's fault.

As with Dawn of the Dinosaurs there are additional characters this time around, a whole heap of them in fact. Sid's Grandma arrives, Diego has a love interest, Manny's daughter's gang, the film's villain and his posse of pirates to name a few. The producers clearly made a decision to make Continental Drift more teeny than the previous films, perhaps to match the age of the audience that has grown up with the franchise and the casting of the likes of Nicki Minaj, Drake and Jennifer Lopez underlines this, while the writing for Minaj's and Drake's characters does not so much underline it as write in capital letters, LOOK AT US COOL WRITERS, THIS IS WHAT TEENAGERS SOUND LIKE. Anyway, it's a kids film, who can get mad.

Thankfully the troublesome teens are kept on the side of the plot which serves just to occupy the half of the cast which aren't cut adrift and captured by Captain Gutt, brilliantly voiced by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion from GoT). Nick Frost voices Flynn, an effeminate seal in Gutt's employ, and his lines were the stand-out moments for me. Scrat's acorn hunt is still going and is always an enjoyable distraction from the central storyline.

As ever the film looks great, kids will enjoy the action and fun but for the rest of us the franchise feels tired, in the sense of characters and plots. However, with Continental Drift making over $800M it may be that Sid and co. are not on the verge of extinction just yet.
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    Sure, there's some cool visuals, but that does not hide the dull and clichéd story. This fourth movie in the series just seems like it's forced and repeated. It's also not as funny too. In the end, it's a disappointment.
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie was definitely intended for the youngest of viewers with the attention span necessary to enjoy it. In Ice Age's fourth outing, Manny, Diego and Sid find themselves separated from Ellie and Peaches after the continents begin to drift. Unlike Toy Story 3, a paragon of a movie for kids and adults, the story is just a vehicle to sell the 3D effects. The humor is few and far between,This movie was definitely intended for the youngest of viewers with the attention span necessary to enjoy it. In Ice Age's fourth outing, Manny, Diego and Sid find themselves separated from Ellie and Peaches after the continents begin to drift. Unlike Toy Story 3, a paragon of a movie for kids and adults, the story is just a vehicle to sell the 3D effects. The humor is few and far between, the new characters are window dressing and the old characters are good. Just good. Do not go see this movie without a five or six year old. Laughing with them is probably the only way you'll be able to laugh at all. Expand
  18. Sep 9, 2012
    This Ice Age hasn't really improved on the last, but it is still clever and funny in parts, just like the three previous films. However, it does feel like the writers are running out of ideas and are now aiming at children rather than a range of ages.
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    Ice age is my favorite animation franchise. But this one really was a kick in the face for the fans! They ruined the best thing of the movie the ICE AGE! Why the hell are the mammoths dancing to dub-step?!! "Peaches" character is just аwful for the sequel! My expectations were big and i was disappointed. BUT STILL i can't give a bad score to "Ice age", because no matter what it's theIce age is my favorite animation franchise. But this one really was a kick in the face for the fans! They ruined the best thing of the movie the ICE AGE! Why the hell are the mammoths dancing to dub-step?!! "Peaches" character is just аwful for the sequel! My expectations were big and i was disappointed. BUT STILL i can't give a bad score to "Ice age", because no matter what it's the biggest animation franchise for the 21th century. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2013
    Ice Age: Continental Drift is a playful movie. The movie focuses again on our furry friends including Manny, Diego, and Sid. The premise of the movie focuses on Manny's teenage daughter, Peaches. Scat's antics, the squirrel on the cover, cause an interesting turn of events leading the viewer to encounter a number of interesting new characters and ideas for the ice age series. WithoutIce Age: Continental Drift is a playful movie. The movie focuses again on our furry friends including Manny, Diego, and Sid. The premise of the movie focuses on Manny's teenage daughter, Peaches. Scat's antics, the squirrel on the cover, cause an interesting turn of events leading the viewer to encounter a number of interesting new characters and ideas for the ice age series. Without spoiling the story, I can say that the film features a solid cast, strong family themes, and a simple and straightforward plot that while predictable and shallow, is both playful and fun. It is very enjoyable and engaging for those interested in a light hearted family film (that is good if you watch it alone as well).

The video itself is wonderful from a technical standpoint. The colors are saturated, the detail in the fur and environment is sharp and interesting. While few and far between, the blacks showcase detail and texture that will prove to be interesting and engaging.

The audio features a DTS-HD Master Audio and takes advantage of a wide dynamic range that while not blowing you out of your chair loud, will do nice to differentiate standard dialogue. The music found throughout the film is integral, yet never gets in the way of the dialogue which remains clear and understandable no matter what happens. For those with a powerful subwoofer, the movie will provide ample opportunities to exercise it.

In total, this movie was fun, playful, and a great for the family. It never goes very deep, the characters aren't the most dynamic, but it is the perfect movie to watch when looking for a quiet and enjoyable experience.
  21. Mar 19, 2014
    i only like ice age 3 dawn of the dinosaurs it is has more breathtaking then the sequel . Continental drift is tropical and the ending is friggin funny and groovy .
  22. Mar 11, 2015
    Continental Drift does virtually nothing to improve upon flaws of its predecessors. In fact, this film only manages to make things worse, throwing out any potential usage of witty humor in favor of more of the same nonstop slapstick and sight gags we've seen over and over again in the previous movies.
  23. Feb 15, 2016
    Terrible! it has a pretty good animation and the ice ships have a decent design, but the Ice Age 4 problem is that they are running out of ideas. There are celebrities that play the roll of animal teenagers with actual expressions. The bad guys are boring, not interesting at all an they are just an excuse of a villain. Scrat turned into a very cartoony character, it isnt funny any more andTerrible! it has a pretty good animation and the ice ships have a decent design, but the Ice Age 4 problem is that they are running out of ideas. There are celebrities that play the roll of animal teenagers with actual expressions. The bad guys are boring, not interesting at all an they are just an excuse of a villain. Scrat turned into a very cartoony character, it isnt funny any more and when he gets to "Scratlantis" he just gets nuts for nuts. Sids granny isnt funny either, shes just too annoying. Diego an Shiras relationship is also boring, the only thing i see there is a relationship between Denis Larry and Jenifer Lopez. Also the script is the worst one. Ice Age 4 is a shame compared with the beloved 1st one and its sequel. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2016
    Ok, the movie is better than the third part, have some great moments. The animation is cool. But the big problem in this movie is that it is good, but the development is boring in some moments, and in some parts I feel that I watch a Michael Bay's movie. Is better than the third part, but is worst than the second and the first, and yeah, is worst than Madagascar 3.
  25. Jan 25, 2016
    Scrat's ultimate funniness kept up the entire film for me. The franchise has gone into "Continental Drift" because this movie just explained what the franchise has gone through after the first Ice Age movie.

1. Reviewed by: Drew Taylor
    Jul 25, 2012
    Handsomely animated and features a story that, while hopelessly familiar, at least seems to be part of a whole. Also, there are pirates. So there's that.
  2. Reviewed by: David Fear
    Jul 13, 2012
    A business-as-usual slog.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jul 13, 2012
    Thoroughly, and disappointingly, pedestrian.