5.1

1. Jun 28, 2013
    There is nothing at all here to get excited about. Pedro Almodovar's new film shows him to be in a light holiday mood and subsequently producing one of his duds. The high camp humour and unbelievably juvenile, not to mention, repetitive crass jokes do not bear the signature of the director of such movies as 'All about my mother' and 'Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown', but is more reminiscent of a bad Carry On' film that the British were still making in the 70's. The film is virtually plot less and the trailer's promise of some musical fun sky high is relegated to one number, the title song, which is flatly delivered and actually no fun at all. Towards the end of this never ending 90 minutes one of the stewards proclaims that it is 40 minutes to landing. In reality this plane crashed on take off. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    I'm So Excited is as a outdated, passé film. Typical Spanish jokes without flair. 80's is passed, now is in 2013. Almodóvar should do a revision about his cinema-style. "The Skin I Live In", "Volver" or "Broken Embraces" are dark and good-styling but Almodóvar return to comedy films is wrong. Sorry, Almodóvar, I like your films but this time not.
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    Pedro Almodóvar is an accomplished and versatile director ("Women on the Verge," "Volver," "Talk to Her"). With this film he's moving away from serious subjects back to his zany days, but not to great effect. Almost all of the action takes place on a plane, where 3 very gay flight stewards tend to the pilots and the smattering of passengers in business class. There are unrealistic situations, silly dialogue and lots of homo affairs (including the film's highlight: the lip synch of the titular Pointer Sisters song). While it's sometimes fun, the unfocused structure and inane situations don't work. It's over the top in every way, except good. (in Spanish with subtitles) Expand
  4. May 6, 2014
    Almodóvar’s latest offering after his posh genre thriller THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011, 7/10) is an outré farce which is evocative of his earlier output in the 80s, almost exclusively restrained inside a plane, more specifically, the cockpit and the business cabin, I’M SO EXCITED! is a hilarious parody of AIRPLANE! (1980, 6/10). We all know economy is depressing and life is governed by austerity measures in Spain nowadays, so it wouldn’t be a more opportune time for a screwball comedy to satirise the circumstances and offer its audience tons of fun, Almodóvar is a dab hand to achieve this mission, the film not only potently leads us to break away from the grim reality for 90 minutes, but also conducts its cunning metaphors for the aftertaste if one is familiar with the social contexts in Spain.

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.
  5. Jul 19, 2013
    Virginia Republican Gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli better stay away from “I’m So Excited” as he recently said that he wants to arrest any male or female, non-gay or gay, engaging in either anal or oral sex and that’s what this film is all about, especially oral sex, along with drugs and alcohol!

There are 3 stewards of which one Joserra (Javier Camara) is having a long time
    affair with the married with children pilot Alex (Antonio de la Torre), the second Fajas (Carlos Areces) has a 3D set of a religious scene and is into gossip and tossing his hair while Ulloa (Raul Arevalo) believes sex is the answer for everything and has the co-pilot Benito (Hugo Silva) questioning his sexuality. All 3 stewards haven’t found a tequila they can pass by and camp it up lip synching to the Pointer Sisters recording of “I’m So Excited”.

In second class all the stewardesses and passengers have knocked out with drugs making the psychic Bruna (Lola Duenas) who wants to lose her virginity before the plane lands to remark about the smell of farts and most of the film taking place among the business class passengers such as the ‘mule’ (Miguel Angel Silvestre) who keeps his bride (Laya Marti) passed out with the drugs hidden in his butt because it is responsible for her mounting him constantly. Norma (an Almodovar regular Cecilia Roth) a dominatrix, who has lost count of how many clients she has had, has an eye for handsome Infante (Jose Maria Yazpik) and there is a famous actor Ricardo (Guillermo Toledo) who is a serial womanizer. All drink, have sex and pop a drug now and then except for a banker Sr. Mas (Jose Luis Torrijo)a banker who doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the cast but seems to be part of the director/screenplay writer Almodovar’s askew look at current Spain.

Due to a technical difficulty the plane won't land until it finds an appropriate airport and goes around in circles and has to drop a load of fuel before even attempting to land. Though the plane can crash this comedy by Pedro Almodovar is filled with low, camp, trashy, tacky, naughty and attempts to be screwball comedy with moments of being kinky.

This is a silly comedy by one of the best film directors and screenwriters in the business though he can get a lot of smiles having his cast talking about sex, especially oral, sorry Ken Cuccinelli. It is also nice to see Antonia Banderas and Penelope Cruz doing a cameo in the opening of the film.
  6. Jul 8, 2013
    Almodovar has set the bar so incredibly high with the evolution of his creativity and the brilliance of his work that I'm So Excited is bound to disappoint even his most ardent fans. Taken on its own, the film is light, entertaining and fun--the perfect antidote to Spain's current malaise and crippling unemployment.

In this context, the film makes perfect sense. Retreating to a genre he
    invented and then transcended proves that Almodovar's timing is impeccable. He has nothing to prove. When the going gets tough you party like it's 1999... don't worry, be happy. We can self-medicate with sex, drugs and mo-town. It's a recurring theme in his work and an apt application in I'm So Excited.

Watching this film made me want to go back and revisit his earlier work and the reasons I fell in love with new Spanish cinema. It's not original, not evolutionary, and given my rising expectations each time I see a new Almodovar, probably a letdown.

I always leave an Almodovar movie with a smile on my face, albeit somewhat more muted for this film than for his other work. Compared to what's out there, this is a very good film... but it's a detour not a a step forward.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Aug 1, 2013
    It's pretty obvious that Almodovar at least was having fun making I'm So Excited. Ditto for his actors, who admirably go all-in for these roles. I'm glad they're having a good time. After all, somebody has to find a reason get excited about I'm So Excited.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Aug 1, 2013
    Writer-director Pedro Almodóvar crammed actors he’s worked with over the years into a movie so wacky it defies analysis.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jul 25, 2013
    It’s amusing fluff, but from an Oscar-winning dramatist, this return to comedy is a bit of a letdown.