Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: September 10, 2010
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 44 Ratings
WATCH NOW
wesker2012Feb 12, 2013
A work of art. Misunderstood by many...but its acting at its finest and a masterful social experiment.
drussFeb 19, 2011
The reviews are hilarious. Undeniably balsy film. How can you call it a hoax when he's blowing lines and having sex with prostitutes? How can his rants be a hoax. It's pretty true to life, and it's a work of art, not a hoax. It'sThe reviews are hilarious. Undeniably balsy film. How can you call it a hoax when he's blowing lines and having sex with prostitutes? How can his rants be a hoax. It's pretty true to life, and it's a work of art, not a hoax. It's self-indulgent and not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciated it. Expand
MedinaReviewsSep 30, 2010
â
EvolutionaryJan 7, 2011
Don't be fooled by the critic's reviews. This is the funniest movie of 2010, but only if you view it as the hoax it is. Phoenix is brilliant, chanelling the likes of documentary narcissitic anti-hero's such as Anton Newcombe from Dig! DespiteDon't be fooled by the critic's reviews. This is the funniest movie of 2010, but only if you view it as the hoax it is. Phoenix is brilliant, chanelling the likes of documentary narcissitic anti-hero's such as Anton Newcombe from Dig! Despite some absurd behaviour, the comedy still remains subtle, similar to the awkward humour of Gervais and Merchant, if they were on coke. Expand
FanshaweSep 18, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, I've let this movie percolate around my brain for a week now, and by now, we know that this is performance art, and not any sort of "real" documentary. The people who hate this movie are most likely people that can't laugh at themselves or find that exploring their own prejudices is just too uncomfortable. This movie isn't about JP at all; it's about celebrity worship and our rathr sick culture. I'm just as guilty as everyone else. In short, this is the most daring movie I've seen in years, and the most rewarding one I've seen since "There Will Be Blood." It out-Kaufmanns Andy Kaufmann. Affleck and Phoenix both deserve hardware. Expand
QASep 20, 2010
Okay, I got to say this is too good, I like it so much. In fact , I'm just going to buy a DVD for this, then I can watch it over and over again. The scene is nice, the actor is great.
ThomDowtingOct 15, 2010
Bottom Line: I haven't laughed so much since Borat. Yes, it's that good. If you loved Peter Sellers in 'The Party' then you'll love the heck out of 'I'm Still Here'. And for all you haters out there. Why you gotta hate the player? If you canBottom Line: I haven't laughed so much since Borat. Yes, it's that good. If you loved Peter Sellers in 'The Party' then you'll love the heck out of 'I'm Still Here'. And for all you haters out there. Why you gotta hate the player? If you can still hate this movie while you're hating the game instead... well, I for one feel sorry for you. And no. I haven't the foggiest what that means. Quit looking for meaning where there is none.

@Tony -- Pure B.S. my man! Affleck Jr. directed the *.-ish out of this film. I'll start with the end... gorgeous... evocative of Terrence Malick. Also enjoyed the Dylan references... 'I'm Not There' (also a great film). And if you're studied enough and pay attention throughought the film and can manage to keep your eyes on the film despite laughing so hard your head hurts, homie's dropping references as if his name were Tarantino. Casey Affleck for 'Pres 2012!!!

@Shira -- you wrote too much brother. But a 6? really? Na-unh. Turn that frown upside down! 9... MINIMUM!

@MarcDoyle -- You thought his tracks were catchy? Stop the presses... hold the phone... blow the whistle... foul!... automatic disqualification! Look, if you're reading this and trying to decide whether to see the movie... are you really going to take the advice of a guy who's favorite part of a mockumentary about hip-hop is the mock hip-hop? I think not. M'Doyle obviously thinks that mock-u-mentary hip-hop specifically crafted (or lack there of) for the prupose of eliciting a quality belly laugh is the second coming of M&M. White-boy is obviously white-boy. And if I may take a moment to echo those famous words... M' Doyle DOESN'T RULE!!!

My only qualm, a pecadillo really, is where towards the end JP is drinking Imperials with the old man in what is supposed to be Guatemala. The patajos drink Gallo gringos!!! If you want to drink the IMP, go back to C.R.!!! The 51st state! And if you do, be sure to check out Sta. Theresa!!! The waves are tops and the Ticos y Ticas make it all worth while!

IN SUM: All in all... the best movie I've seen this year (granted, I don't get out much so I don't see a whole lot of movies but...) & best comedy since Borat. Nuff' said. And yes, it's better than 'The Hangover'!