In America

8.7

1. WAKOJAKO
    Jan 8, 2004
    Rather farfetched and manipulative--I so much wanted to like this film, but after the first of many hard-to-believe instances, it just dissolved into the sappy, Hollywoodized soap-opera it is. Pady Considine delivers a fine performance, though.
  2. CarolAnnC.
    Feb 8, 2004
    For everyone of us who takes things for granted go see IN AMERICA. You will come away with a deeper appreciation of what we have. The acting is so powerful that it will overwhelm you. It is based on a true story. Do not miss this masterpiece.
  3. Jeff
    Jun 5, 2004
    There's a germ of a great movie in there. unfortunately the director chose to make it very implausible, and hit you over the head with schmaltz. some viewers can forgive the manipulative mawkishness, but i found it patronizing and insulting.
  4. BradleyW.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Beautiful film with top notch performances. Best film I've seen this year.
  5. MarcK.
    Dec 25, 2003
    Great performances all around. I was particularly impressed with Djimon Hounsou (who I think deserves a Best Support Actor nomination) and Samantha Morton (who with her performance in "Minority Report", is a true rising star in the film industry).
  6. RichardK.
    Dec 8, 2003
    The best movie I've seen all year. Paddy Considine is sure to be the next big star in America...if the British will share him.
  7. DavidS.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, I watched this movie in a crowded movie theatre, which usually means I lose focus and interest in the movie while everyone is loudly munching their popcorn and talking during the movie. But, surprisingly, this movie was totally engrossing that I rarely noticed my theatre-mates. May be the movie was interesting b/c I myself was an immigrant and has gone through similar Unfortunately, I watched this movie in a crowded movie theatre, which usually means I lose focus and interest in the movie while everyone is loudly munching their popcorn and talking during the movie. But, surprisingly, this movie was totally engrossing that I rarely noticed my theatre-mates. May be the movie was interesting b/c I myself was an immigrant and has gone through similar frustrations and experience. The movie has its corny moments, but the rest of the movie compensates for it. Expand
  8. NatalieJ.
    Feb 4, 2004
    A perfect 10. The children were incredible actresses, and the movie overall was touching and beautiful. Samantha Morton was wonderful, it is hard to beleive that she is only 26.
  9. JanW.
    Mar 26, 2004
    Absolutely emotional and unconventionally good.
  10. BillR.
    Apr 3, 2004
    If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, stultified, nearly anonymous.....that is, apart from the odd scene like the aspiring rapper in Johnny's ride, or our yuppie lovers making out to what If Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is the dramatic equivalent of a strong yell, and his The Boxer, a respectably muted shout, then In America is the equivalent of a whimper from this director, playing out mostly limp, stultified, nearly anonymous.....that is, apart from the odd scene like the aspiring rapper in Johnny's ride, or our yuppie lovers making out to what sounds like the opening credit music from The Insider. To be fair, Sam Morton does manage to wring a very good performance from such obvious maudlin material (take notes, Ruby Zellweger), but that barely matters when in a film this low on characters (or character), she's curiously wasted. The entire integration of Djimon Hounsou - what's that all about? If the tykes in this picture could be any more Precocious (puke), I swear they'd be googly-eyed. Come on, Sheridan - even if you can make it somewhat watchable as opposed to say, Ron Howard, I *know* you're far above this Cinema Paradiso/Hallmark card award-baiting. Expand
  11. RichardG.
    May 27, 2004
    Very human portrayal of a true human plight.
  12. PatC.
    Sep 10, 2004
    Undeniably honest, but slightly disjointed continuity-wise. The E.T. carnival doll scene smacked of authenticity, the air conditioner scene did not. As for content, little formula here. A strikingly genuine, poignant, and lightly uplifting story reaffirming that those who have lost the most have the most to give. The sisters were a mixed bag, one moment spot-on authentic as they squealed Undeniably honest, but slightly disjointed continuity-wise. The E.T. carnival doll scene smacked of authenticity, the air conditioner scene did not. As for content, little formula here. A strikingly genuine, poignant, and lightly uplifting story reaffirming that those who have lost the most have the most to give. The sisters were a mixed bag, one moment spot-on authentic as they squealed about the home, then suddenly mature to the point of being out of character. Lacking the usual action and plot diversions, but judiciously edited to be only long enough to exposit its theme. One may be less than satisfied as it concludes, but its lessons stay with one over time. Unfortunately, though the movie suggests otherwise, large hospital bills tend to linger also. Expand
  13. LeeDallas
    Dec 31, 2003
    Astonishing. Beautiful and poetic. And the Bolger sisters- AWESOME!
  14. Jim
    Dec 30, 2003
    Great performances from the kids really make this movie. "Star kids" would have ruined it by over acting, these girls were just naturals. The male lead and male supporting actors should get academy nods, both performances were nuianced and very believable. The female lead was similarly solid, though her character was more of a supporting role to the father's. Go see this before it Great performances from the kids really make this movie. "Star kids" would have ruined it by over acting, these girls were just naturals. The male lead and male supporting actors should get academy nods, both performances were nuianced and very believable. The female lead was similarly solid, though her character was more of a supporting role to the father's. Go see this before it leaves the theater, if you miss it, put it on the "must rent" list. Excellent! Expand
  15. Jonathan
    Dec 8, 2003
    Not bad, satisfying, but expecting better!
  16. JohnT.
    Nov 28, 2004
    So far, the best movie you will ever see this year!
  17. DamianP.
    Jan 17, 2004
    A wonderful, touching film that looks to have accomplished what it set out to do. Fine performances, especially from Emma and Sarah Bolger. I want to see this movie again.
  18. BenA.
    Jan 18, 2004
    A very enjoyable movie. This movie makes me respect movies that arent really a definite story but more like "a year in the life of..." GIVE US US FREE aka Djimon Hounsou showed more acting abiliteis in this than he did in Gladiator or Amistad. Great job all around. See this movie.
  19. Fantasy
    Jan 28, 2004
    The only way to describe this movie is brilliant. Just a fantastic job with some brilliant performances. In particular the two little girls are wonderful but I was not prepared for the powerful performance by Djimon Hounsou. A star is born. Definitely worth the watch. Probably the best kept secret IN AMERICA.
  20. RussellL-H
    Feb 13, 2004
    This movie finally arrived in the heartland of America and the wait was worth it. This was an astonishing movie - heartfelt, yet intellectually challenging. The performances were raw and enagaging. I left with a greater love and appreciation for my own family.
  21. ConstanceS.
    Feb 9, 2004
    This is a rare film that makes you want to know more about the people in the film. The characters have a life beyond the confines of the reels. Yes, the girls are ALL that and a side of fries, but watching Samantha Morton and Paddy Considine was the most accurate portraial of marrige and family I've seen in a film. Life hurts. This film reminds you of that without the depravity and This is a rare film that makes you want to know more about the people in the film. The characters have a life beyond the confines of the reels. Yes, the girls are ALL that and a side of fries, but watching Samantha Morton and Paddy Considine was the most accurate portraial of marrige and family I've seen in a film. Life hurts. This film reminds you of that without the depravity and horror that most films sink to. And in case you are sidestepping In America because 'the trailers look depressing' sidestep to the theatre prepared to laugh and find the hope and joy that really does come when we least expect it. Also, stay for the credits to hear the unexpected treat of Bono's (U2) song. So much better that the stuff he did for Gangs of NY. And in this climate of patriotic American fever, this film shows us America as seen through the eyes of the those who continue to make it great: GO IRISH! and GO where-ever-the heck Djimon Hounsou is from! yea!!! Collapse
  22. JoshH.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Truly incredible, utterly engrossing, spellbinding. Do you need me to say more!? Great performances all around by each and every actor or actress involved. The Bolger sisters give two of the best performances we?ve seen in the last ten years by a child. There were a few scenes in the movie where you slightly cringe at the overacting, but they in no part take away from this powerful and Truly incredible, utterly engrossing, spellbinding. Do you need me to say more!? Great performances all around by each and every actor or actress involved. The Bolger sisters give two of the best performances we?ve seen in the last ten years by a child. There were a few scenes in the movie where you slightly cringe at the overacting, but they in no part take away from this powerful and beautiful film. Expand
  23. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderul, emotional, not the fake emotion that hollywood usually puts out, this one got my heart, amazing performances by all involved.
  24. HaleyS.
    Aug 11, 2004
    Very well done, moving.
  25. SusanM.
    Feb 3, 2005
    This movie is so loveable, I was touched by it. Beautiful story and awesome acting.
  26. MarcD.
    Mar 25, 2005
    What an incredibly moving picture.
  27. LarryL
    Mar 9, 2005
    A rare and remarkable film. Suffused with magic.
  28. ElizabethL.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Oscar performances all around. This is a heartfelt film from a gifted storyteller. Rarely have I walked out of a movie theater wanting to change my life. This movie really affected me.
  29. SFinn
    Dec 12, 2003
    Fantastic, so heartfelt w/out veering into sappiness. Everything about it just rang of authenticity. As good of a movie as I've seen this year.
  30. JohnY.
    Dec 19, 2003
    One of the most beautifully touching films I have ever seen. Easily one of the year's best.
  31. MarvinL.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Say goodbye to Frankie? You've gotta be kidding me. Two hours of unrelenting sap, dished out by good actors with cool accents (maybe that's why critics dig it).
  32. MichaelH.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Great movie.
  33. CurtisN.
    Feb 29, 2004
    This movie was not my cup of tea. Too slow and hard to believe events. The best thing about this movie was the singing of Desperado by Sarah Bolger(Christy). Yet it isn't even on the movie's soundtrack.
  34. GregT.
    Jun 18, 2004
    Enjoyed this movie immensely. But then again I always like movies about displaced and disadvantaged Irishmen. I have never heard of Samantha Morton nor Paddy Considine but think that they are very talented. They did realistically portray an immigrant family or indeed any family, warts and all. Well worth seeing.
  35. SuzanneD.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Jim Sheridan's finest. Go see this film. You wont be sorry. Amazing performances from the entire cast. This has got to be a best picture contender...it will break your heart into a million happy pieces!
  36. SheaH.
    Nov 21, 2003
    LOVED THIS FILM.
  37. LaurieH.
    Nov 25, 2003
    I absolutely adored this movie. It is the best movie I have seen in I dont know how long. The acting is so good you cant believe it. Where did they find the two little girls???? This is such a sweet, beautiful story. Bring Kleenex!
  38. HarveyE.
    Nov 28, 2003
    A warm and touching movie about people going through a tough time. Hardly a dry eye in the house at some points. The acting was wonderful, particularly that of the young girls.
  39. MikeD.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Fantastic, the kids are superb. Paddy and Samantha are perfect together. An overall well-crafted film.
  40. KerriR.
    Dec 21, 2003
    I laughed, I cried. I am DEFINITELY seeing this again. It was very life affirming and and spoke to me in ways that I needed to be spoken to. ON MY TOP TEN LIST.
  41. YoriD.
    Dec 22, 2003
    GREAT overall but those two little sisters just ripped my heart out and stole the entire movie.first time i felt i wasn't watching kids acting;their performances were flawless.if you have a heart you'll be touched by this movie DESPERADO never sounded so bittersweet ".....You better let somebody love you Before it's too late... "
  42. RosemaryM.
    Dec 25, 2003
    Loved this movie. All the actors did a great job.

Definitely designed to tug on its audience's heartstrings, a task at which it completely succeeds, In America is ultimately a solid, if unspectacular family film.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Warm and borderline sentimental...also brimming with true and privileged moments, as well as an optimism in the face of tough circumstances that serves as a corrective to some of the more fashionably grim modern accounts of similar stories.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    In short, the Sheridan of In America wants us to pity his characters for the rough ride that they endure, yet at the same time he traps them inside a bubble of the picturesque and the outlandish. Even if you like this movie, you have to ask: What has it done to deserve its title? [1 December 2003, p. 118]