8.7

1. Oct 15, 2011
    Colin Farrell throws in a unforgettably arrogant but funny performance with great support from Brendan Gleeson in the sly but direct black-comedy "In Bruges". Its a must watch for those who ponder about the meaning of life.
  2. WepmajoE
    Mar 24, 2009
    Perfect from start to finish. The dry sometimes extremely dark humor shoots your funny bone as the dramatic scenes shoot through your nerves. Great performances all around, beautiful locales, excellent pacing. By far the best movie of last year.
  3. JamieB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Best film of 2008 so far. This superb film has an incredibly complex message about the power of violence and nonviolence, and layers of depth which many critics seem to miss (did they noticed Chloe's speech "homage is too strong a word" compares the movie within a movie to Don't Look Now, the movie of which In Bruges itself is a pastiche). It's also hilarious.
  4. Ogest
    Jul 22, 2008
    It wasn't what I expected. And that's why I give it 9. I was freaking surprised after this movie. It was genius. Very good dialogues, beautiful scenery, dark humor, interesting plot. Definetely a must see, especially now when there are not that much good dvds to rent.
  5. RobertM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    In Bruges is a superb morality play set in a very dark comedy. The pace is fast, the dialogue crisp (if a bit too profane) and the actors timing is on the money.
  6. Gary
    Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent movie. Engaging, well-acted, written, and directed, with an oddly transcendent feel.
  7. NigelH.
    May 2, 2008
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Not only are there some great jokes, but it also makes you think about some important issues; should murderers be allowed a chance for redemption? How strong are your principals? McDonagh is, in my opinion the best living playwright, and this film demonstrates that he is as talented writer for screen as for stage. Fecking brilliant.
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, thereWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  11. JaredC.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Two thumbs up for In Bruges.
  12. JanO.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fine script, good acting, Farrell as a bad guy, solid crew. But ending is over-egged (rating - 9/10 or even 10/10 without ending; in this case - solid 8!) Recommended!
  13. Dec 24, 2012
    There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all,There are a lot of comic moments in this film, mainly in the form of the things Ray says and does. Few films make me laugh out loud, but this one did in more than a couple of places. The drama comes mainly in the final third and I found this put a much darker complexion on the comedic scenes that preceded it. I liked the ending; it seemed quite poetic in a way (sorry, no clues). Over all, a very enjoyable film with some laughs, excellent cinematography and some great performances Expand
  14. Oct 11, 2010
    Certainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timelessCertainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timeless masterpiece
    And in one word "Everything Is In Right Place"
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
  16. Feb 19, 2011
    What a surprising movie! You are getting the impression that almost nothing happen in the first half, but the action increase more and more till the end. A very well played scenario, especially by Brendan Gleeson. The dramatic-comic situation are were wisely place during the plot. All in all, it is a move it is worth to see.
  17. Apr 13, 2011
    Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was anFunny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    A dark comedy drama a large part of the success of In Bruges can be put down to the witty script and the two central performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, as well as a cameo from Ralph Fiennes, who manage to keep things grounded even when events start to take a turn towards the absurd. The wholly original setting only adds to the movie making for an enjoyable watch.
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
    The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
    The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
    Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
    In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
    An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
  20. Sep 3, 2014
    A clever look into the lives of hitmen... in Bruges! Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are both funny and convincing. In Bruges is black comedy gold. Another hit for Martin McDonagh.
  21. Dec 16, 2013
    This movie was generally underrated by the critics. This is just a fantastic movie with amazing script, acting, setting, cinematography, everything.

Brilliant.
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film.
  23. Jan 23, 2014
    Colin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, IColin Farrell was absolutely fantastic in this great blend of black comedy and crime/thriller. Truly gut wrenching and heartfelt, this one was a great watch. Riveting and engrossing from the get go, it really pulls you in and makes you invested in the characters quickly. I came into this expecting it to be a bit like Snatch in the way it was done and since I did not care for that one, I was afraid, but I am glad I watched it anyways, because it wasn't like that at all. Really good film. Expand
  24. May 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this film, easily the best crime/comedy/drama ive seen since the sensational "Pulp Fiction", full to the brim with some of the most absurd moments in film that ive ever seen.
    its also very #deep

25. Nov 28, 2012
    "In Bruges" is a dark, sardonic, and intriguing dramedy, featuring excellent performances from its three top-billed actors.
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    I think this because most of them are funny, but the good jokes aren't exactly black. For example in the mediocre 2013 film The Family all of the jokes that I laughed out loud at were reasonably upbeat or dark but not black. This can be found in many other black (I might start renaming them bleak just for literal accuracy) comedies like Thank You For Smoking, The Men Who Stare At Goats and Fargo.
    In Bruges is an exception it has a mix of black and upbeat jokes and all of them are hilarious. Whether there about dwarves, elephants, gay beers or cupboards. Every second is hysterical. But every second is also very exciting, somehow I was even interested when Ray and Ken were discussing who's allowed to shoot themselves. Even classics like The Naked Gun and Office Space get a bit slow moving in places, this doesn't.
    That was a great achievement and surprised me, but the most amazing thing about the writing and direction of In Bruges is that somehow Martin McDonagh makes the viewer care about the characters. Colin Farrell is a child murderer and should be one of the least likable little in movie history. Yet somehow I was constantly rooting for him in the last 30 minutes and almost cried when he was talking to his dying partner in crime. Ralph Fiennes character Harry is even worse! And I was almost crying for him too! Hell I was almost crying at the death of a cocaine snorting, prostitute client midget. Never would you expect to find a black comedy about murder and Belgium more emotional than The Green Mile and Marley and Me put together. It totally took me by surprise.
    In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite movies of the last decade and extremely entertaining, I strongly recommend it as long as you are prepared for the amazing overuse of the word
  27. Feb 6, 2014
    A great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is.
  28. Jul 1, 2014
    A gleefully dark and morbid comedy with spectacular trio Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, and Colin Farrell, who gives perhaps his most complicated performance to date, as a guilt-ridden assassin trying to reason with his actions, Ken as the calm mentor comforting him, and Harry, their psychotic boss with contradicting morals. It's sad, funny, and meaningful. Hell, it's close to 'Fargo'
  29. Dec 1, 2013
    This one surprised me. A good, if depressing, film. Well acted and well written. I'm not a big fan of Colin Farrell but he nails it in this one. Too bad it slipped under the radar. Then again, this is not a feel good film with white washed dialog so it may not be your cup of java.
  30. Jan 8, 2014
    Truly exceptional. McDonagh outdid himself with this masterpiece. Great acting from Farrell and Geeson and a superb script by McDonagh. One of the best films i have seen this year so far
  31. Oct 12, 2014
    A great gangster movie and marvelous debut behind the camera for the talented Irish director Martin McDonagh. Heartily recommended, with some of the best acting I have seen yet by Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson.
  32. May 18, 2014
    A really funny dark comedy movie. I didn't know what to expect from this movie when someone recommended it to me and I was really pleased with it. Funny when it needed to be and dark when it needed to be. Acting was really good and the chose the actors well for there parts. A good ending that kept me satisfied with the movie.
  33. Jul 15, 2014
    'In Bruges'' is a dialogue based/character driven movie starring Colin Farell, Ralph Fiennes and many more.I can't tell the plot of this movie.Because that is half the fun you will have.This movie is like Pulp Fiction.
    If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, why haven't you seen Pulp Fiction?
    If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, why haven't you seen Pulp Fiction?

This movie has no drama at all.The drama is the thing that brings most movies down.Whereas this movie has realistic dialogues which are hilarious.Every dialogue and every scene is important to the plot.For instance:-

[first lines]
    Ray: After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. "Get the **** out of London, youse dumb ****s. Get to Bruges." I didn't even know where Bruges ****ing was.
    [pause]
    Ray: It's in Belgium

''In Bruges'' has really good actors and a good director.This movie does not have much action and that is a good thing.Action scenes should be used only when necessary to propel the plot.Otherwise its no fun.Remember ''Matrix Reloaded''-its dull.

If I had to score it out of 10, I would give it a 10/10 and remember, I am a miser.I don't give points so easily.But this film was so perfect and its worth at least a watch.It is one of the movies that will be considered as a classic in years to come.
  34. Jul 19, 2014
    'In Bruges' is my third favourite film of all time and there's a reason for that- the dialogue is witty, the performances very strong and the plot is brilliant. Colin Farrell gives the gives performance of his career and Ralph Fiennes is both menacing and hilarious.

It's not for everyone since it is very violent, but if you like comedy-thrillers you should definitely check it out.
  35. Jun 5, 2015
    Ray: 'Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't. '
    Colin Farrell's deadpan remarks make for a gritty and at times compelling noir film. Matched up with the wise old head of Brendan Gleeson, the actor uses sarcasm and despondent facial expressions to keep audiences off their seats.
    Combine this
    Combine this with some gorgeous scenery, an artfully constructed piano score (similar to the Seven Psychopaths) half timbered backstreets, an existential dwarf, risqué romance as well as a dry and tough performance from the the boss Ralph Fiennes and you have 'a f******* fairtytale of a flick.
  36. AgathaX
    Mar 4, 2008
    A morality tale delivered with laughs and blood. The humor veers between smart and surreal. The movie was brilliantly acted by Brendan Gleeson, with a strong performance by Colin Farrell, and a slightly overwrought performance by Ralph Fiennes. Ralph Fiennes, alone among the actors, appeared to try to play the part for laughs. And alone among the actors, he failed. The movie is marred by A morality tale delivered with laughs and blood. The humor veers between smart and surreal. The movie was brilliantly acted by Brendan Gleeson, with a strong performance by Colin Farrell, and a slightly overwrought performance by Ralph Fiennes. Ralph Fiennes, alone among the actors, appeared to try to play the part for laughs. And alone among the actors, he failed. The movie is marred by profanity and gore which will limit its appeal, which is sad because it is a true gem. It also has odd references to blacks, which made me a bit uncomfortable watching, and may have made me yet more uncomfortable were I black. I think the story intended to deal with racism in the same brutal yet light way in which it dealt with courage, redemption and second chances. It did not work. The few offending scenes are a bit like pimples on an otherwise likable countenance. Expand
  37. Dom
    Feb 20, 2008
    Great actors and a wonderful setting. It's been a long time since I enjoyed the atmosphere and the sense of humor of a movie that much.
  38. Steve
    Apr 4, 2008
    A fine little movie! A very black comedy that makes you laugh out loud without quite knowing why.
  39. RichardW.
    Feb 16, 2008
    While indecisive in trying to be both a comedy and, ultimately, a bloodbath, Bruges has great highs, some lowbrow humor, and great lows.
  40. Sean
    Feb 17, 2008
    Absolutely the freshest, funniest and most poignant movie of the season. And, strangely enough, the most hopeful movie about man's capacity for second chances and doing the right thing. Colin Farrell is a joy to watch him at the top of his game. Brendan Gleason is perfect. Seeing Ralph Fiennes going over the top as the crime boss is delicious. Martin McDonough is the new cinematic voice.
  41. EdM.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Nicely black comedy. The wordplay is great, as the two protagonists cool off in the charming, boring city of Bruges.
  42. MarcK.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Although still February, will almost certainly make by "Best of 2008" list. Funny, clever, well-written, but not too over-the-top. Definitely influenced by "Pulp Fiction" and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels." Professional critics who didn't like this film are clueless.
  43. ChrisB.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Engaging plot for a fairly bloody action picture. Brendan Gleeson is a real treat and his buddy combo with Colin Farrell has some nice chemistry. Ralph Fiennes in a role that will surprise you. Voldemort has definitely gone to his head. Interesting twist ending. We saw a sneak preview and it was the weirdest crowd in recent memory. They laughed uproariously at jokes that were only mildly Engaging plot for a fairly bloody action picture. Brendan Gleeson is a real treat and his buddy combo with Colin Farrell has some nice chemistry. Ralph Fiennes in a role that will surprise you. Voldemort has definitely gone to his head. Interesting twist ending. We saw a sneak preview and it was the weirdest crowd in recent memory. They laughed uproariously at jokes that were only mildly funny. Must have been McDonagh's cousins. Give it a look and enjoy the odd juxtaposition of comedy and brutality. Collapse
  44. RitB
    Feb 9, 2008
    If Hieronymus Bosch were alive and making movies instead of painting, he would make "In Bruges". Strange, brutal at times, beautiful at times, unpredictable and fascinating.
  45. TomasV.
    Feb 9, 2008
    A surprisingly funny, engaging plot, with a superb performance by an otherwise inconsistent Colin Farrell. The movie's focus around Bruges was very interesting, and the dialogue between Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell throughout was quite compelling. Some parts of the movie were a little confusing, however, in that the viewer didn't necessarily know whether to laugh or feel sad.
  46. NickD.
    Mar 24, 2008
    This film is hilarious. And it is also very dark and gro. The progression through the story is extremely well-wrought. One of the best films I have seen this year. Seriously hilarious.
  47. GordS
    May 26, 2008
    I whole heartedly agree with Roger Ebert on this film. Outstanding. A dark comedy with great dialogue and characters. Far from PC, but never the less a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I saw this almost by accident and enjoyed it more than any movie I have seen in the past year. Where did it go? No one else I know has even heard of it. It reminded me of the Great Santini, which I whole heartedly agree with Roger Ebert on this film. Outstanding. A dark comedy with great dialogue and characters. Far from PC, but never the less a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I saw this almost by accident and enjoyed it more than any movie I have seen in the past year. Where did it go? No one else I know has even heard of it. It reminded me of the Great Santini, which disappeared until the film lovers brought it back. Expand
  48. RoyK
    May 27, 2008
    An excellent film, went with little or no preconceptions and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best films I have seen this year, laugh out loud funny in places, emotionally stirring in others. The two Irish leads are superb, Farrell gives a great, unexpectedly low key, performance. For those who know Father Ted, he's a bit Father Dougall at times! All in all a great piece of cinema An excellent film, went with little or no preconceptions and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best films I have seen this year, laugh out loud funny in places, emotionally stirring in others. The two Irish leads are superb, Farrell gives a great, unexpectedly low key, performance. For those who know Father Ted, he's a bit Father Dougall at times! All in all a great piece of cinema and one of those films you are bound to tell your friends to go see. Expand
  49. MortezaH.
    Jun 11, 2008
    An exercise in genre blending which is second to none.
  50. MorganC.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Absolutely brilliant filmmaking, cleverly written with beautiful cinematography. The end is a bit much to stomach, but completely appropriate and fitting.
  51. BillC
    Jul 9, 2008
    This film is impossible to label.It's action , drama, comedy, buddy film ,all in different proportions. I thought it was entertaining and well worth seeing.
  52. BillT.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Excellent and brooding dark comedy, with well defined characters and good performances from the main 5/6 actors, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
  53. tr
    Nov 2, 2008
    Great actors, terrific atmosphere and a humor blacker than the night, so it´s just a great film.
  54. Rex
    Feb 21, 2008
    I thought the movie was great. The dialogue was funny and touching. My favorite was Brendan Gleeson. Quite bloody towards the end, but worthy of the 8 I gave it.
  55. BillD.
    Feb 24, 2008
    It had fabulous cinematography, crisp dialogue, and morally ambiguous characters. The delightful plot was completely unpredictable. the only thing missing was a memorable soundtrack.
  56. Daryl
    Feb 25, 2008
    A really entertaining movie, with a real good balance of high and low brow comedy. A bit heavy handed at the end, but that sin is easily absolved by what proceeds it.
  57. DWilly
    Feb 28, 2008
    Hey, who knew... Collin Farrell can act! I'm guessing he was sober, that and playing an ineffectual type, but whatever, he holds his own with a magnificent Brendan Gleeson and a very good Ralph Fiennes. You have to suspend a lot of disbelief, but the style covers almost all of it and the intelligent and just damn fine artistic writing (as well as quite capable direction) of Hey, who knew... Collin Farrell can act! I'm guessing he was sober, that and playing an ineffectual type, but whatever, he holds his own with a magnificent Brendan Gleeson and a very good Ralph Fiennes. You have to suspend a lot of disbelief, but the style covers almost all of it and the intelligent and just damn fine artistic writing (as well as quite capable direction) of playwright Martin McDonagh makes it all very special and worth seeing. Expand
  58. SteveJ.
    Mar 16, 2008
    The funniest dialogue I've heard in a long time. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was totally believable and the quirky supporting characters were compelling as well. I saw it twice in three days and laughed almost as much during the second viewing as I did the first. As for the darkness at the heart of the tale, it hit just as hard as the laughs. Yeah, there was lots of The funniest dialogue I've heard in a long time. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was totally believable and the quirky supporting characters were compelling as well. I saw it twice in three days and laughed almost as much during the second viewing as I did the first. As for the darkness at the heart of the tale, it hit just as hard as the laughs. Yeah, there was lots of profanity but, given the circumstances, it was fitting. I highly recommend this film. Expand
  59. MattO.
    Mar 16, 2008
    This was movie that couldn't have come at a better time. In the never ending stream of boring, apathetic movies this one shines through with hilarious dialogue and dark humor. The dwarf/midget (i have no idea what's socially acceptable) is a fantastic combination in the end of the movie. Couldn't have been better
  60. PaulK.
    Mar 30, 2008
    This was much better than I initially thought it was going to be. Colin Farrell's character was fleshed out just enough to make the story compelling and the ending was substantial enough to even out the ambiguity. See it in the theater if you have a strong interest.
  61. Nancy
    Apr 13, 2008
    In a nutshell I liked this movie. The acting, the dialogue all worked for me, much of it smart, funny, amusing, unexpected or surreal. I did not expect to laugh at a film about hitmen. The surreal element to the whole thing seemed to balance the sheer ridiculousness of some of the non-PC topics. There was no way to take this seriously but just to enjoy the ride to the somewhat In a nutshell I liked this movie. The acting, the dialogue all worked for me, much of it smart, funny, amusing, unexpected or surreal. I did not expect to laugh at a film about hitmen. The surreal element to the whole thing seemed to balance the sheer ridiculousness of some of the non-PC topics. There was no way to take this seriously but just to enjoy the ride to the somewhat over-the-top ending which was a bit much for me but the preceding scenes were worth it. Colin Farrell played Expand
  62. TopiusU.
    May 24, 2008
    Very cool, great dialogs, great script, perfect.
  63. TylerM.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Not what I was expecting at all. The Story: Two hitmen are sent to Bruges in order to hide out... An expected call from the boss though, results in unexpected orders, for an otherwise expected outcome. It's kind of a character study in that there's a significant amount of time learning what makes these characters tick, the problem is, that (on first viewing at least) Not what I was expecting at all. The Story: Two hitmen are sent to Bruges in order to hide out... An expected call from the boss though, results in unexpected orders, for an otherwise expected outcome. It's kind of a character study in that there's a significant amount of time learning what makes these characters tick, the problem is, that (on first viewing at least) there's not much too the characters... Ray feels guilty for his past and spends most of the film trying to figure out if he deserves to live. Ken, mesmerized by the wonderland that is Bruges, finds himself worried about his friend, taking it upon himself to save his partners soul. Conflicted by the moral issues that surround his current situation and job... And than there's Harry. The boss. He's a villain that you know deep down inside you can't hate because he makes a valid point, one must pay for their own actions, accidental or not. He's not evil, though he's not nice either, he's not good but he's not bad, and you're not going to be rooting for him. The Cast: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes... Colin Farrell is Ray, guilt stricken by a hit gone terribly awry. He gives a good performance as he's eternally conflicted, he's not a man, but he feels deeply ashamed of himself for his past actions, so doesn't that mean that he should be forgiven? Or is he hopeless because he's done the unthinkable? Solid performance from start to finish. Brendan Gleeson is Ken, stuck between a rock and a hard place hit his partner or save his soul, giving him a second chance? Arguably the best performance in the film. Ralph Fiennes is Harry, a firm believer that some actions deserve certain consequences no matter what the circumstance. You know he has a heart and you know that on some level he is in fact right, but you're wishing he's wrong the entire time. Great performance, but not his best. Probably the first time that a trailer has truly influenced my score... There's no disagreeing that the trailer is about as misleading as you can possibly get. The trailer has you believing that Guy Ritchie has some competition. It's fast, it's clever, it's stylish, it's funny, and it's full of quirky or offbeat characters... The film itself is slowpaced, sometimes predictable and nowhere near as complex as you're expecting, as the quirky characters often add little to nothing to the story... I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, I only watched it once expecting a fast paced Snatch type film, really hoping to see another Guy Ritchie on the horizon... The second time around I'm sure it will be immensely better. Expand
  64. MikeD.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Very surprised by this movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. I watched it twice back-to-back. It has some hilarious moments and Colin Farrell is great. Well written with a great story...definitely worth the rental...even worth buying!
  65. TomM.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Martin McDonagh, an award winning playwright, scores big-time with his debut full length feature. The film portrays two hit men hiding out in the historical Belgian city of Bruges after carrying out a gruesomely sloppy hit back home in England. It's hard to believe that a flick about such an event could possibly turn out to be charming (as well as a number of other things), but Martin McDonagh, an award winning playwright, scores big-time with his debut full length feature. The film portrays two hit men hiding out in the historical Belgian city of Bruges after carrying out a gruesomely sloppy hit back home in England. It's hard to believe that a flick about such an event could possibly turn out to be charming (as well as a number of other things), but McDonagh and an excellent cast pull it off. The result is black comedy as its absolute best. My only problem was some difficulty with the thick British accents (Cockney?) that denied me even further laughs and enjoyment of the extraordinary dialogue. Be on the lookout for this gifted director's future work! Expand
  66. TamaraM.
    Aug 18, 2008
    One can't ask more of a film than gorgeous cinematography, a brilliant script and actors whose performance delves deep and perfectly carries the multifaceted, rich dark humor clothed in a perfect story.
  67. TonyS.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Best of the year. and brilliantly acted by principals.
  68. KrisD
    Aug 3, 2009
    Last week i saw this movie on TV (paychannel) I didnt really know what it was about, but i have to say i was completely blown away. While the story is of course very different, this film gave me the same feeling like pulp fiction did back in the days. Just after watching it, i felt like i immediately wanted to see it again. And this is a VERY RARE thing for me nowadays. Anyway, this Last week i saw this movie on TV (paychannel) I didnt really know what it was about, but i have to say i was completely blown away. While the story is of course very different, this film gave me the same feeling like pulp fiction did back in the days. Just after watching it, i felt like i immediately wanted to see it again. And this is a VERY RARE thing for me nowadays. Anyway, this weekend i bought it on dvd. The characters are really loveable, the humour is dark and the situations are absurd. There's a lot to be liked about this film. Only two kinds of people won't like it imo. The ones who don't get it and the arty farty so-called movie "connaiseurs" who are searching way too much behind it. This was a very nice surprise for me. Expand
  69. BillyS.
    Mar 11, 2008
    A great script, quirky characters, a lot of good laughs and Colin Ferrell raises his acting abilities to be able to play opposite the great Brendan Gleeson. You'll find it all in In Bruges, the best black comedy I've seen in years!
  70. ChadS.
    Mar 16, 2008
    A hitman might not be the keenest judge of character. Congenial or not, Ken(Brendan Gleeson) is a sociopath. The company he keeps are other hitmen, like Ray(Colin Farrell), Ken's charge, who just recently shot a Catholic preist. But there was an accident. There was collateral damage. For all the un-PC humor in "In Bruges", perhaps the funniest thing about this lively film is the A hitman might not be the keenest judge of character. Congenial or not, Ken(Brendan Gleeson) is a sociopath. The company he keeps are other hitmen, like Ray(Colin Farrell), Ken's charge, who just recently shot a Catholic preist. But there was an accident. There was collateral damage. For all the un-PC humor in "In Bruges", perhaps the funniest thing about this lively film is the tacit agreement between filmmaker and audience that the dead clergyman be forgotten. We're judging Ray solely on how he reacts to the second body. "In Bruges" cons the audience into feeling sorry for a man who had recently shot a man of God in cold blood. If there is such a thing as honor among hitmen, Ray is no hitman(as Ken pointed out), because he has no honor, which precludes his occupation and the occupational hazards that go with it. Ken was wrong about Ray. He withholds a key tidbit of information from Harry(Ralph Fiennes) at the end of "In Bruges" which would've brought honor to his mentor(Ken). Like samurai, Harry lives and dies by the code. Earlier, when Ray points the gun to his own head, he was probably only bluffing. Expand
  71. MarcusA.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Can you say underrated. This movie is probably the best of 2008 so far. IT is smart, dark, funny, and witty, and needs some recognition. Some people don't understand the ending, but it suits this film perfectly. The best hitman movie since Pulp Fiction.
  72. hollyc
    Jun 27, 2008
    Holy crap. what an amazing surprise. I can see why this film had a hard time marketing itself b/c it doesn't lend itself to slick one-liners at all. As others have said, tightly, tightly written, very well acted--genre busting story that works on so many layers it's just ridiculous! You get a drama/comedy/action-thriller/ biblical fairytale. In Bruge. rent this thing now.
  73. RichR.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie is the funniest thing I've seen in years! Hmmmm, maybe the black humor has a little to do with the British losing hundreds of thousands (in Belgium and Holland and freakin' France) fighting the Nazis during WWII while the Belgians and their ilk hid under their mommie's dresses.
  74. AlP
    Mar 17, 2009
    Don't believe the negativity. Everyone I know has taken something different from this film but they all loved it and so did I. It is a movie that just begs to be watched right through in one sitting and manages to switch from absurd to disturbing to hilarious whilst still remaining completely believeable thanks to the quality of the script and actors.
  75. Sep 3, 2010
    Two hitmen are sent to Bruges to "get out of the way" for a couple of weeks.
    It reminded me of a sort Father Ted doing hitmen for the first part of the film then it gets a bit darker.
    Some great one liners & good performances all round.
    Never been to Bruges but looks absolutely beautiful.

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.